ADVERTISEMENT

Underrated flicks?

another vote for Spanish Prisoner. its best described as part of the con genre, like The Sting and Matchstick Men, also both great flicks. side note, Spanish Prisoner was written by David Mamet (About Last Night, Glengary Glenross) and his wife stars in it along with Steve Martin.

Hollywood Shuffle (precursor to In Living Colour TV show)

Raising Arizona (Coen brothers)

Kelly's Heroes (World War II).

another vote for Spanish Prisoner. its best described as part of the con genre, like The Sting and Matchstick Men, also both great flicks. side note, Spanish Prisoner was written by David Mamet (About Last Night, Glengary Glenross) and his wife stars in it along with Steve Martin.

Kelly's Heroes (World War II).

Just about anything from the Coen Brothers gets put on my must watch list. While there are several movies I have not yet watched, their body of work puts them at the top of my list as filmakers.

Raising Arizona
The Hudsucker Proxy
Fargo
The Big Lebowski
O Brother Where art Thou
No Country for Old Men(one of my all time favorite movies)
Burn after reading
True Grit

they also did Bridge of Spies which is unlike many of their other films but still very good. Its similar in tone to the foreign flick Live of Others but more accessible

Three I'm very fond of. I watched Hollywood Shuffle about 100 times in high school. Haven't watched it in years. I'd go so far as to say it might be the funniest "message movie" I've ever seen. Not many movies can make a point and be as funny as that movie.

And Raising Arizona is one of my favorite comedies and Coen movies. Haven't watched that one with my younger kids yet...I will put that up next.

they also did Bridge of Spies which is unlike many of their other films but still very good. Its similar in tone to the foreign flick Live of Others but more accessible

They actually only wrote the screenplay for that...Spielberg directed it.

For my money, it's about 100 times more Spielberg than Coen. It's not a bad movie by any means...but like most Spielberg movies (and almost no Coen movies) it's a little too...what's the opposite of subtle? It's all on the face of the thing...black and white.

It's competent, it's high quality...but I holy crap Spielberg insists on telling you exactly how to feel and when to feel it, and makes sure he runs exposition over and over, God forbid you actually have to piece together 2+2 and come up with 4 yourself.

It's a much more high quality and competently executed, but Spielberg's movies essentially have about all the shading, thoughtfulness, and ambiguity of the network "movies of the week" were in the 80s. To me they fare worse and worse over time, especially as television has given us meatier and meatier characters and situations to work with.

Still love Jaws though.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - great story, well acted.
Frequency - Just such a great ending.
Hott Fuzz - (numerous Simon Pegg movies are great, but I used this one in the film class I taught a few years ago)

I've literally called Kiss Kiss Bang Bang my favorite movie before. I'm not sure that it is, but I've said it because I love it. Great movie.

Dogma
Spies like us
Starship troopers
The whole 9 yards

I've always loved Starship Troopers. People who hate it are either people who wanted it to be serious like the book or didn't get that the movie was a parody of American Culture by a European director. And speaking of Paul Verhoeven, his Flesh and Blood movie definitely should have been on my list of underrated movies.

Between Starship Troopers, Flesh and Blood, original Robocop, original Total Recall, Basic Instinct, Hollowman and Black Book, he's way up there in my favorite directors.

And yes I agree with Lemon that the Coens are some of my favorite directors/producers on par with Spielberg for me.

For my money, it's about 100 times more Spielberg than Coen. It's not a bad movie by any means...but like most Spielberg movies (and almost no Coen movies) it's a little too...what's the opposite of subtle? It's all on the face of the thing...black and white.

It's competent, it's high quality...but I holy crap Spielberg insists on telling you exactly how to feel and when to feel it, and makes sure he runs exposition over and over, God forbid you actually have to piece together 2+2 and come up with 4 yourself.

It's a much more high quality and competently executed, but Spielberg's movies essentially have about all the shading, thoughtfulness, and ambiguity of the network "movies of the week" were in the 80s. To me they fare worse and worse over time, especially as television has given us meatier and meatier characters and situations to work with.

Still love Jaws though.
I don't disagree, but Raiders of the Lost Ark will always be one of my favorites. One of the all time great movie characters.

Still love Jaws though.

fair points. but you'd like Lives of Others then.

Hollywood Knights & the original Red Dawn are classics.
hqdefault.jpg

fair points. but you'd like Lives of Others then.

Lives of Others is great.

In the foreign thriller category, check out Tell No One, which was excellent, and El Secreto De Sus Ojos (The Secret in Their Eyes). Not the remake which I haven't seen yet, but the original Argentine movie. It's not quite on the level of Lives of Others or even Tell No One, but it is quite good, and has one of the most amazing shots I've ever seen on film.

Thought of another one that's not obscure, but in the Everyone Else Thinks It's Crap category...Watchmen. Watched half of it last night again. I just think it works perfectly.

In my mind, dark nihilism very rarely works well in movies, despite how often it's tried, but it's totally nailed in Watchmen. I think it's fantastic, and that's coming from a guy who doesn't like a minute of anything else Zac Snyder has done, and is just kind of "meh" about the graphic novel.

Reactions: vevois23
Great selections! I'm going with - Let it Ride
Came to post this. Such a great movie. Love watching it every spring to get ready for Triple Crown races.
As to the poster that said Howard the Duck because of Lea Thompson in underoos, check out All the Right Moves with her and Tom Cruise. Great flick, and she gets naked, full naked.

Kingsman: The Secret Service - didn't expect too much, loved it

most interesting (to me) upcoming movie - the absolutely not what anyone would expect from its name, Sausage Party.

Thought of another one that's not obscure, but in the Everyone Else Thinks It's Crap category...Watchmen. Watched half of it last night again. I just think it works perfectly.

In my mind, dark nihilism very rarely works well in movies, despite how often it's tried, but it's totally nailed in Watchmen. I think it's fantastic, and that's coming from a guy who doesn't like a minute of anything else Zac Snyder has done, and is just kind of "meh" about the graphic novel.
No argument from me. Watchmen is awesome.

Three I'm very fond of. I watched Hollywood Shuffle about 100 times in high school. Haven't watched it in years. I'd go so far as to say it might be the funniest "message movie" I've ever seen. Not many movies can make a point and be as funny as that movie.

And Raising Arizona is one of my favorite comedies and Coen movies. Haven't watched that one with my younger kids yet...I will put that up next.
I still say "I ain't be got no weapon" to this day.

Also love Raising Arizona. Have seen it probably 30 times.

My additions:
Dan in Real Life
Edge of Tomorrow
Hot Target

(what can I say? I have a thing for Emily Blunt...)

Also love Raising Arizona. Have seen it probably 30 times.

My additions:
Dan in Real Life
Edge of Tomorrow
Hot Target

(what can I say? I have a thing for Emily Blunt...)

Having seen several Emily Blunt interviews, she comes across as a real See You Next Tuesday type of taqueria, but I did really love Edge of Tomorrow. It's a fantastic scifi movie just like Source Code.

Having seen several Emily Blunt interviews, she comes across as a real See You Next Tuesday type of taqueria, but I did really love Edge of Tomorrow. It's a fantastic scifi movie just like Source Code.

Edge of Tomorrow is a movie that I get drawn into even when I just stumble across it.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
well that completely changes the nature of our relationship.

Sorry, haven't viewed the whole thread.....

Has anyone seen Moon? Was really surprised by this movie.
The Waitress
In Time
Children of Men
Layer Cake
The Machinist
The Prestige
The Others

LOL. It was probably my most quoted movie among my high school friends. Tempted to text them "I ain't be got no weapon" right now.

I do occasionally pull a Batty "What's all this noise?" on my kids walking into the room, with none of them nor my wife having any idea why. I've never explained it.

The mention of Source Code reminds me of one that is a perfect fit for this, the director's previous film, Moon. Kind of slow, not for everyone, but I think it's awesome.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT