ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News Updates: FSU BOT meeting, unanimous vote to push forward with legal filing

FSU is not leaving the ACC without a place to land. That 125M is just to get out. And its likely more like 100M.

If a P2 conference wants to take us at full share with no rights, this is easy. Announce and move. Let everyone else deal with the financial aspect.

If a P2 won't do that, then it's harder. We cannot leave until we resolve the rights.

I happen to believe if we had clean rights, we would have invites from both. Yes, even the SEC.

I don't think we have them.

So what is tomorrow about? I have seen too many reports that it's to authorize litigation. I do not know if that is true. If it is, I think it is very bad news for anyone saying it would be Q1.
The SEC does not want us. I don't see us going to the SEC as a good thing in the long run.
We play second fiddle to everyone there and even if we were to get in why does anyone think that would change?
We would be the red headed step child there.
The B10 gains much more to have us and would be a swift kick in the SEC's and ESPN's nuts.
And I'm all for that after what has went on.
FOX will do everything it can to diminish ESPN and college gameday.

Counselor, I don't dismiss your concern, but can't we all acknowledge that there may be good reason to file now that didn't exist previously and prompted action now for very tangible, tactical reasons. Your post here makes a lot of assumptions of where the negotiations were and were not. Let's just let it play out some.
That’s fair. I don’t go to extremes on this. I like to see what we see and what makes sense and estimate, but I have no info what’s going on. But I’ll remain confident in my opinion that filing suit now is a bad sign, if only that it represents that fsu didn’t have the handle on this they thought they did. Filing a Dec action may LEAD to having a handle on the GoR, but it does not suggest having one now. You litigate this case and lose and it’s over. Or not. I guess at that point you hope they don’t want fsu to die on the vine.

Reactions: goldmom
Why would FSU be the SEC's first option? We are not new territory, and they already have their foot on our neck. Not sure what they have to gain by adding FSU vs some other teams like UVA and UNC. Plus, if the SEC were to try to add FSU and Clemson there would be major pushback from USC, Florida, Auburn and Bama. Why give someone you're recruiting against in your own backyard any advantage?
Plus, I don’t want anything to do with, hear, or look at his ugly smug face: - Finebaum!

My only question is, and no one seems to have an answer, what about the AAU requirement of the BIG? I understand that Nebraska had it when they entered the BIG, but later lost it. Not sure about that. I do remember McCullough saying something about FSU getting AAU certification sometime in the next 5 years.

That’s fair. I don’t go to extremes on this. I like to see what we see and what makes sense and estimate, but I have no info what’s going on. But I’ll remain confident in my opinion that filing suit now is a bad sign, if only that it represents that fsu didn’t have the handle on this they thought they did. Filing a Dec action may LEAD to having a handle on the GoR, but it does not suggest having one now. You litigate this case and lose and it’s over. Or not. I guess at that point you hope they don’t want fsu to die on the vine.
Ambiguity and the threat of suit is often much more effective than actually suing.

This better be a meeting resulting in real movement. Theres no more time for”well what are we gonna do Ernest” discourse.

Last edited:
Can any insider answer these questions? @Jerry Kutz @CurtWeiler @Bob Ferrante @Fishbits and whoever else I’m missing that represents The Osceola ?

Oklahoma and Texas moved in silence. As did USC and Oregon. As is Clemson, UNC and Miami.

The quiet part needs to be said aloud…FSU looks desperate and handling this like an online university. Even if we get into a new conference we’re bringing a poor reputation with us. Perception matters.
Which online universities play football?
Can you share some details with us about our “poor” reputation? I must have missed something because I haven’t heard about anything like that before.

An emergency meeting to talk about the fof would be a major letdown given the dire situation fsu is in.

Reactions: NYC_Seminoles
Uh Huh Yes GIF
☝🏻 Well, like I said, it was a rumor. I was just spreading the gossip……😜😎

• Haha
Reactions: GeddyLee09
According to Brett McMurphy, "The earliest FSU can leave the ACC is June 30, 2025." but FSU is expected to "begin pursuing" their intentions to depart the ACC.

Word I got from a SEC guy, they want FSU, Clemson, NC and Miami - locking up the 2 big FLA schools keeps the Big10 out of the SEC "foot print"
Who an SEC official/spokesperson, an insider, a booster, a fan, a bag man? SEC and ESPN can go suck an egg! Let's go Big 10 and take Notre Dame along for the ride. GO NOLES! Go Army/18th Airborne Corps-MI-HUMINT!

Reactions: NoleLizards
This crap should have been done years ago. Every fool on Warchant/the Osceola knew it. It’s sad that it took going 13-0 and missing the playoffs for the issue to have finally been prioritized.
We don’t know for certain it was the hose job we got that was the final straw. It didn’t help but I hope that they’ve been lining things up long before that fiasco.

Reactions: USMC_Steamer_Nole
Who an SEC official/spokesperson, an insider, a booster, a fan, a bag man? SEC and ESPN can go suck an egg! Let's go Big 10 and take Notre Dame along for the ride. GO NOLES! Go Army/18th Airborne Corps-MI-HUMINT!
Don’t care about ND or Miami or Clemson or UNC or anyone not named FSU at this point.
Every man for himself.

Here's what I'm thinking...

It has been reported by numerous sources that FSU will discuss an ACC exit strategy either through litigation, a buyout or some other means. We expected this meeting to take place in January so I'm only mildly curious to why now, two days before Christmas and a week before the bowl game. Other than the timing, we knew this meeting was coming.

Here's some background...

After the August zoom meeting, when the BOT formally discussed leaving the ACC, there was thought FSU might not renew the ACC agreement by August 15. August 15 came and went with FSU not filing an intent to leave.

At the Sept. 8-9 meeting, BOT Chairman Collins told the Osceola on video that there would be no further discussion about realignment until after the football season as the trustees did not want to create a distraction for what would be a special season but Collins added, we should not take their silence as inactivity.

He did not elaborate on what that activity would be but it's not a reach to think it could include an independent legal review of the Grant of Rights and a report on what grounds FSU could pursue for litigation or mediation.

That time could have also been used to examine private equity funding options and costs with a private consultant doing a feasibility study, calculating the exact value of the marketing rights, which the Osceola has previously guesstimated to be over $500 million, and the exit fee to be $100-125 million. The private equity study would calculate what the annual payment would be to borrow various amounts of debt over time.

These months could have been used for any number of other studies and reports behind closed doors in preparation for a future meeting as long as they were compliant with the Sunshine law (see law below)

At some point, perhaps tomorrow, any of those studies could be presented to the full board for discussion, or a vote,. I expect whatever is discussed tomorrow has been vetted one-on-one with each trustee by the consultant who can answer or investigate any questions they may have without violating the Sunshine law, so I don't think any of the trustees will be flying blind during the meeting.

Hope that helps.

GOVERNMENT IN THESUNSHINE LAW2•
Florida’s Government in the Sunshine Law, s.286.011, F.S., commonly referred to as the SunshineLaw, provides a right of access to governmentalproceedings of public boards or commissions at boththe state and local levels.• The law is equally applicable to elected andappointed boards, and applies to any gathering of twoor more members of the same board to discuss somematter which will foreseeably come before that boardfor action.3• There are three basic requirements of the SunshineLaw:• (1) meetings of public boards or commissions mustbe open to the public;• (2) reasonable notice of such meetings must be given;and• (3) minutes of the meetings must be taken andpromptly recorded.

We don’t know for certain it was the hose job we got that was the final straw. It didn’t help but I hope that they’ve been lining things up long before that fiasco.
Absolutely. Read my earlier post above. This has been in action for some time. No straw was needed. The board was resolute by August.

Well here’s to hoping we announce our intent to leave for the B1G tomorrow. Hopefully Clemson, UNC, and ND soon follow.

Ole Boo can enjoy replacing us with Stanford, Cal, and SMU as they all head to the AAC in 2 years with NC St. the rest can enjoy the Big 12.

Absolutely. Read my earlier post above. This has been in action for some time. No straw was needed. The board was resolute by August.
The snub also provides some leverage. We may look back someday and realize missing the playoffs was the best thing to ever happen to FSU football…at least in the long game.

Reactions: goldmom
Will the Zoom meeting be open to the public? If so, where can we find the link?

Que the self important smug crew that know just as little to dismiss what they don't want to know.
Dismiss rumors and non-fact? I would really not care to know what people's opinions are or what they hear from their wife's cousin's hairdresser. I would like to hear an actual announcement about leaving the ACC not speculation about a meeting that could be anything.

Reactions: NoleLizards
I'll advise Mr. Alford
Ok. When you talk to him tell him to let everyone know what the meeting is about. That is whenever you can break away from talking to normal people on here.

Also, Im not saying its not about leaving just that everyone here is speculating or they wouldnt be on here. Including me. I dont think anything will come out of this but ill gladly eat crow if im wrong.

Here's what I'm thinking...

It has been reported by numerous sources that FSU will discuss an ACC exit strategy either through litigation, a buyout or some other means. We expected this meeting to take place in January so I'm only mildly curious to why now, two days before Christmas and a week before the bowl game. Other than the timing, we knew this meeting was coming.

Here's some background...

After the August zoom meeting, when the BOT formally discussed leaving the ACC, there was thought FSU might not renew the ACC agreement by August 15. August 15 came and went with FSU not filing an intent to leave.

At the Sept. 8-9 meeting, BOT Chairman Collins told the Osceola on video that there would be no further discussion about realignment until after the football season as the trustees did not want to create a distraction for what would be a special season but Collins added, we should not take their silence as inactivity.

He did not elaborate on what that activity would be but it's not a reach to think it could include an independent legal review of the Grant of Rights and a report on what grounds FSU could pursue for litigation or mediation.

That time could have also been used to examine private equity funding options and costs with a private consultant doing a feasibility study, calculating the exact value of the marketing rights, which the Osceola has previously guesstimated to be over $500 million, and the exit fee to be $100-125 million. The private equity study would calculate what the annual payment would be to borrow various amounts of debt over time.

These months could have been used for any number of other studies and reports behind closed doors in preparation for a future meeting as long as they were compliant with the Sunshine law (see law below)

At some point, perhaps tomorrow, any of those studies could be presented to the full board for discussion, or a vote,. I expect whatever is discussed tomorrow has been vetted one-on-one with each trustee by the consultant who can answer or investigate any questions they may have without violating the Sunshine law, so I don't think any of the trustees will be flying blind during the meeting.

Hope that helps.

GOVERNMENT IN THESUNSHINE LAW2•
Florida’s Government in the Sunshine Law, s.286.011, F.S., commonly referred to as the SunshineLaw, provides a right of access to governmentalproceedings of public boards or commissions at boththe state and local levels.• The law is equally applicable to elected andappointed boards, and applies to any gathering of twoor more members of the same board to discuss somematter which will foreseeably come before that boardfor action.3• There are three basic requirements of the SunshineLaw:• (1) meetings of public boards or commissions mustbe open to the public;• (2) reasonable notice of such meetings must be given;and• (3) minutes of the meetings must be taken andpromptly recorded.
Jerry,
What about the BIG AAU requirement. If we don’t have it, why or how will the BIG invite us in? I know President McCullough indicated that FSU plans to be AAU certified in 5 years, but how will that help us for the present?

As for Nebraska, I heard they had it when the entered the BIG and then later lost it. I have no real data on that, so take it for it is worth. It is just one of those, “Have you heard…” things. :rolleyes:

Jerry,
What about the BIG AAU requirement. If we don’t have it, why or how will the BIG invite us in? I know President McCullough indicated that FSU plans to be AAU certified in 5 years, but how will that help us for the present?

As for Nebraska, I heard they had it when the entered the BIG and then later lost it. I have no real data on that, so take it for it is worth. It is just one of those, “Have you heard…” things. :rolleyes:
This tweet from Brett McMurphy back in June seems to indicate the Big Ten has backed off that being a requirement.

Jerry,

I think there is a big fish to fry before we get into which conference.
My understanding is AAU will not be "a requirement".
McCullough has AAU as his presidential goal but achieving that goal is still years away. I think is main focus right now is FSUHealth, which is a massive initiative with the College of Medicine which will also help bring FSU closer to AAU goals.

Reactions: reconxo2003
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT