ADVERTISEMENT

US Postal Service

Garnet66

Freshman
Jan 13, 2002
I put a package in the mail at branch post office here in Jax on Wednesday morning which will be delivered to Vermont by FedEx. (A return item with return postage paid.) It's Monday morning, and I just tracked it. It hasn't even left the post office here in Jax, yet!

I put a package in the mail at branch post office here in Jax on Wednesday morning which will be delivered to Vermont by FedEx. (A return item with return postage paid.) It's Monday morning, and I just tracked it. It hasn't even left the post office here in Jax, yet!

Honestly, tracking packages has become a crap shoot these days, it seems. I ordered some stuff online recently (not from Amazon). 2 of them got sent via UPS and then I sent another package to someone via USPS.

UPS originally showed both packages would be delivered 2 days after I ordered them. But they didn't show leaving the facility until they day they were supposedly "OUT FOR DELIVERY". Then next day, "EXPECTED DELIVERY" changed and all updates went out the window. Packages arrived 1 day apart, one tracked reasonably, the other one never updated from "shipment prepared". Again, both sent from same facility and via UPS.

The USPS one actually tracked accurately for once and delivered on time.

Usually, these experiences are the opposite: USPS is usually just devoid of accurate updates.

Yeah, I don't trust the tracking anymore either, it is totally unreliable lately. I've had packages delivered that still showed at a UPS sorting facility and another that showed that it sat at a USPS office for 2 days, just sitting there with jo movement. And don't get me started with Amazon Prime and their 2 day shipping. The only one that currently seems to be on point is FedEx and that's only when selecting overnight.

The USPS tracker is crap. The flies I ordered last week showed that they were sent to a sorting facility in Maine the next day and it gave me a delivery date of last Monday. Then no updates for a week. Finally last night when I checked it was in town and there was a note that it wouldn't be delivered on time (last Monday). As for where it was the week in between there is no record.

We have clients in Asia who insist on USPS shipping...it is likely easier to get stuff thru the customs/graft maze. Some times the tracking is accurate, but oftentimes packages never "leave" the facility at JFK airport. We never really know if they make it or not without contacting the client.
Most of the others have fairly accurate tracking, but throwing a change of address into the mix can make for an interesting journey.
For international shipments, DHL is awesome. They do not play and will handle anything that they "can get on the airplane" for us along with unlimited insurance coverage.
FedEx, UPS, and USPS have size limits which can give us fits.
I just got a box of outdoor gear via FedEx ground from Black Diamond in Utah(?) that was a 4 day trip and the tracking was accurate.

UPS has good tracking, but don't send anything you care about getting damaged. Even if you have the insurance they will fight you on it if it gets damaged.

you dropped of a FedEx package at the Post Office and you are wondering why it hasn't been delivered?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT