ADVERTISEMENT

Warchant Crew-- Follow up question to Corey's off the record comment on WUW

Ohio1nole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Nov 12, 2014
Hi All! I was listening to WUW today and a topic came up that has always crossed my mind about "off the record" comments by coaches to reporters..

Corey did a good job of breaking down what off the record means.. But I have always wondered, how can "off the record" comments NOT influence talking points on radio or in print?

An example I'll make up.. Summer of 2013, Jimbo has an off the record convo with Cameron on one of their Sunday phone calls.. And tells him, I know everyone loves Jameis, but that kid aint picking up the play book to level I thought he would, no way he makes an impact this year. How does that off the record conversion NOT impact Jeff's talking points on a day to day basis about the fanfare and hype building around a 5* QB competing for the starting job that summer?

I can think of a few more examples, but when coaches talk to reporters off the record, it seems like it would be tough to not take that info and subconsciously use that to form your opinion on things going forward.

Does that make sense or am I missing what kinds of conversations would be deemed to off the record? Like would my made up scenario about Jameis never take place for that specific reason?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News