ADVERTISEMENT

Watching Argo on FX. What an amazing story done well on screen.

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
When we saw this at the theatre it had me on the edge of my seat the whole time.
Many memories... R, Go F yourself.

This post was edited on 2/25 9:45 PM by billanole

So for the actual story of Argo click my link.

The main differences between the movie fiction and real life is that the Canadians were the main actors in the entire ordeal and the CIA had a much lesser role. And the Canadian plan went off without a hitch and outside of the danger of being discovered in general there weren't many tense moments.

Link

Wait, what they show in movies isn't always exactly what happened?

wink.r191677.gif

The better true story is the one where Ross Perot, on his own dime, paid a private team of former delta force like operators to go into Iran and get his people out while the US Government, led by the worst President in US History, did nothing.

Amazing, and true.

Ken Follett wrote a book about it, called Wings Of Eagles.

This is the real-life story of a Green Beret colonel, who came out of retirement to lead a secret raid, the computer executives, shaped into a crack commando team and the Texas industrialist, who would not abandon two Americans in an Iranian jail. After a hairbreadth escape, there is a desperate race for safety. Today the team is back home living normal lives. But for a while, they lived a legend.

I agree 100% Jax.

Took balls of stone to do that at that time, Iran in the middle of their revolution.

Great book.

Originally posted by jaxnole77:
I read that book. Excellent read.
For some reason (I would have been 1 or 2 at the time), I'd never heard that story. Here's some interesting collections of articles on it.

http://feraljundi.com/1742/history-ross-perots-private-rescue-of-eds-employees-in-iran-1978/

Originally posted by Bud Fox:

The better true story is the one where Ross Perot, on his own dime, paid a private team of former delta force like operators to go into Iran and get his people out while the US Government, led by the worst President in US History, did nothing.

Amazing, and true.

Ken Follett wrote a book about it, called Wings Of Eagles.

This is the real-life story of a Green Beret colonel, who came out of retirement to lead a secret raid, the computer executives, shaped into a crack commando team and the Texas industrialist, who would not abandon two Americans in an Iranian jail. After a hairbreadth escape, there is a desperate race for safety. Today the team is back home living normal lives. But for a while, they lived a legend.
COL Bull Simons.

Here is one of the men that was part of that team. MAJ Richard "Dick" Meadows.

Richard Meadows

Statue at U.S. Army Special Operations Command headquarters at Ft Bragg.

398_rep.jpg

As a side note, he was also in the air with a team at one point during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

He also shot the film of the NVA battalion that proved the NVA were moving troops and supplies on the Ho Chi Minh Trail. He was asked to present the information to General Westmoreland.

Here he is back row third from left as the one zero (team leader) of a MCACV-SOG recon team.

251034288_48397b9975.jpeg

I believe he was also the very first graduate of HALO school (he was the first or the second).

This post was edited on 2/26 11:21 AM by HulaNole

He was a neighbor when I was growing up. He and his wife (his wife was the the SGM's daughter when he went through British SAS) were close friends with my parents. Ross Perot attended his funeral.

Ken Follett stayed with him doing some research. So did Tom Clancy before he wrote Clear and Present Danger I believe.

http://soldiersystems.net/2013/05/16/a-man-among-men-major-richard-meadows/

The first enlisted US Army SF exchange soldier with the British 22 SAS; after successful completion of their selection program ( which he volunteered for ) he was made troop sergeant of an operational troop within a Sabre Squadron ( a honor of unbelievable magnitude since he was an American attached to the British Army )

This post was edited on 2/26 1:35 PM by HulaNole

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT