ADVERTISEMENT

Went to the Jimmy Buffett concernt last night in Orange Beach, AL

Buffetts voice hasn't aged well and he tends to butcher some of his songs in concert, but the shows are more an event than a concert. A big party followed by a sing along. You should know that going in.

Heading out to his Atlanta show shortly. Actually he is playing indoors at the Gwinnett Arena, which I find rather odd. Been awhile since I have seen him, but looking forward to the tailgating.

Second Buffett concert. I've generally always been more of a rock/metal fan. Aside from the "Pits" which have become far less numerous now that we're all getting old, its generally a much more respectful crowd experience. I think it was the drunk and entitled attitude that truly drove me crazy.

I misunderstood you also. At 1st I thought you meant 2 concerts in your life. I was thinking you were a novice and might be a little timid. I don't do standing anymore for concerts, I want a seat back in the stadium so I can drink a few beers and watch in peace. My wife and I went with our daughter and friend to see Motley Crue and we had floor seats, bad mistake. Then did the exact same thing for ACDC, right up front. I will never sit close to the stage for anybody any more

Our seats were all the way in the back, I expected the more laid back crew there. It was a mix of the laid back and a number of he "we are going to stand up and dance the whole concert and who cares if you can see" group.

Our seats were all the way in the back, I expected the more laid back crew there. It was a mix of the laid back and a number of he "we are going to stand up and dance the whole concert and who cares if you can see" group.

Of course you're a "sit down so I can see" guy. Blech.

I misunderstood you also. At 1st I thought you meant 2 concerts in your life. I was thinking you were a novice and might be a little timid. I don't do standing anymore for concerts, I want a seat back in the stadium so I can drink a few beers and watch in peace. My wife and I went with our daughter and friend to see Motley Crue and we had floor seats, bad mistake. Then did the exact same thing for ACDC, right up front. I will never sit close to the stage for anybody any more
This was us at the last Buffett concert we went to. Plenty of room for us to move down to the bottom part of the Civic Center, but we were fine right where we were. A few beers, good view of the stage and we were able to dance when we wanted to.

Of course you're a "sit down so I can see" guy. Blech.

I've been a musician my entire life. I'm not there to party, I'm there to see the performance, hear the performance, watch and observe the musicians. If I want to party, I make certain I'm down close (Which I've done a number of times). If I simply want to observe the performance, then I sit in the back. To me its not an unacceptable stance. I don't mind the occasional dancing. What I do mind is the I'm drunk, I'm more important than you, I don't care if I spill my beers all over you, or knock your wife's purse out of her lap spilling its contents everywhere, or keep bouncing into you, because God Damn it, I'm here to party and who cares why you came attitude.

As I said, there are certain areas I expect that type of activity, that's generally down close.

As others have said, Buffett's music from the 1970s and early 1980s was really good. He wrote or co-wrote some fantastic songs--A Pirate Looks at 40, He Went to Paris, Door Number 3, A Cowboy in the Jungle, Railroad Lady, Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season, Death of an Unpopular Poet, etc., and covered some great songs by other good songwriters like Banana Republics, God's Own Drunk, Ballad of Spider John. Even many of his popular songs are quite good taken in isolation--One Particular Harbor, Come Monday, and even Margaritaville. Somewhere along the way, he decided to stop being a great songwriter and instead to sell an image rather than his music. It's too bad because that is what he will be remembered for now rather than the body of work.

I saw him in Tully Gym about 1980. The crowd was well behaved, I don't think the whole parrot-head 'party on' syndrome had quite taken hold. The show was a little too laid back for me, but then that's pretty much who Buffett is.

Drunkest crowd I've seen was at an Atlanta Robert Plant-Jimmy Page show in '98 (Walking Into Clarksdale). I was surprised by the number of teens-20somethings at the show. The sinks in the men's restrooms were being used as urinals and it was a real mess. Fortunately the show was good and we were surrounded by mostly sober folks in the area where we sat.

I saw him in Tully Gym about 1980. The crowd was well behaved, I don't think the whole parrot-head 'party on' syndrome had quite taken hold. The show was a little too laid back for me, but then that's pretty much who Buffett is.

Drunkest crowd I've seen was at an Atlanta Robert Plant-Jimmy Page show in '98 (Walking Into Clarksdale). I was surprised by the number of teens-20somethings at the show. The sinks in the men's restrooms were being used as urinals and it was a real mess. Fortunately the show was good and we were surrounded by mostly sober folks in the area where we sat.

Is sinks being used as urinals the pinnacle of poor behavior to you? That's normal bar/concert activity. It's a sink.

Buffetts voice hasn't aged well and he tends to butcher some of his songs in concert, but the shows are more an event than a concert. A big party followed by a sing along. You should know that going in.

This is what I was curious about. Not totally surprising, of course. I have generally resisted seeing musicians in their later years.....it generally leaves me with an unfavorable recollection that I don't want in my mind. This policy applies with equal force to former lady friends.

This is what I was curious about. Not totally surprising, of course. I have generally resisted seeing musicians in their later years.....it generally leaves me with an unfavorable recollection that I don't want in my mind. This policy applies with equal force to former lady friends.

I've seen several older bands over the last couple of years. Seldom are they mediocre, I've found a pretty 80-20 split between those artists who kept it together and still kick rump and those doing tours just for drug money.

The old bands I've seen recently (last two to three years or so) who still kicked %*%* include: America, Heart, Foreigner, Cheap Trick, Huey Lewis and the News, 38 Special, Lynyrd Skynyrd, They Might Be Giants, Weezer, Barenaked Ladies, Gwar (but haven't seen them since the lead singer died), Journey, Allman Brothers (I guess brother), the Outlaws, Diana Ross and more.

Old bands/acts who should have quit included Kansas, 3 Dog Night, Aretha Franklin and Paul McCartney.

I'm pretty sure my wife finds Buble as cheesy as I do. But I don't think either of us has seen more than a promo of his on PBS. Just not my thing.
The thing is, in concert he puts on a completely different persona than what you'd expect. He was very funny, telling a guy he was gay because he was the one who dragged his girl to the show, dropping an f-bomb here or there. The f-bombs were funny in part just because of the fact that you don't expect them from him.

Reactions: Wendy79
Agree with most of the posters here that his "show" has deteriorated over the last decade or so. Saw him in Jacksonville in the early 90's, just him and a guitar and a very young Savannah for one song at the old downtown auditorium. I'd go see that show again in a heartbeat. Not so much for the drunk-fest now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT