ADVERTISEMENT

What are my options?

sloth43

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Aug 27, 2003
I realize this is a long post, but the LR has some bright folks that may be able to help.

Back in June we started the process of remodeling/expanding our house.

We were connected with an architect through a friend who is a contractor and had used this guy in the past. The architect came out to see the house, took our blueprints (to make a digital copy) , and took a deposit ($1k check) to begin the work. We communicated back and forth and on a Thursday he indicated that he was 'almost done' and would have our stuff the following week.

We were on vacation the following week and I didn't think much of it. When we returned, I realized that we should have had something. I text him, no response. Emailed, no response. Called, number had been cut off.

Now, I thought we'd been swindled. The guy checked out (valid credentials) but it was odd that all communications ceased.

I dug in with my Google research.

1st searched revealed his address
2nd search showed that he served on an ARB
3rd search was his obituary :eek: He passed away the Saturday after our conversation (during our vacation).

My contractor buddy said his wife isn't communicating with anyone.

I'm out $1k and my original blueprints.

If he was in fact 'almost done' than I would be just fine letting the grand go for what he completed.

If not (at a minimum) I want my blueprints back.

What recourse do I have?

Thoughts are appreciated.

Wait a few days and allow the family to grieve. Send a sympathy card and respectfully explain the situation. Surely someone worked with him and will be familiar with his active projects. He probably has a peer that will be taking over his work.

Architects and engineers always have contingencies (and are horrible to sell a home to).

Reactions: goldmom
Sounds like someone who should have an estate probated. File your claim in the probate case. Talk to the lawyer. It’s his/her job. Family, even after a few months, don’t want to talk about the deceased’s business. I suspect at the very least they’d give you your blueprints.

Sounds like someone who should have an estate probated. File your claim in the probate case. Talk to the lawyer. It’s his/her job. Family, even after a few months, don’t want to talk about the deceased’s business. I suspect at the very least they’d give you your blueprints.

Appreciate your time, thanks

Kill Him!!!

Wait...
th

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT