ADVERTISEMENT

What are your hobbies now?

Divin, have you ever gone out to the underwater cypress forest off the coast of Mobile?

No I have not. The dive shop I worked through for years had a trip planned for a similar site but I thought it was more in P'cola area but bad weather cancelled the trip. It may be the same site you are talking about. There is a place between PC and Destin where there is a submerged stump field in about 90'. Been there a few times.

Used to be golf with a couple of board members, poker out at Gretna on Friday nights, and catching my buddy's band where ever he was playing. On top of just being able to do/go where ever.

Now with a 4 y/o and 1 y/o it is pretty much limited to cigars once or twice a week, bourbon tasting once a month with some of the same guys from the cigar group, and a trip to Vegas once a year (twice this year b/c the 2nd one is free)

Dive the Blue Heron Bridge if you are in West Palm. I thought it would be boring but we really enjoy it. Octopus, Sea Horses and all sorts of little critters. They do night dives for free twice a month during slack tide and you can go during the day anytime. Always listed as one of the top dive sites in the country.

Golf, when possible.
Gardening, between myself and 2 buddies we have ~60 pepper plants and make/sell hot sauces and salts.
Live music and collecting concert posters.
FSU sports + Falcons & Braves.

Before marriage and kids, I played golf, went out with the boys and did whatever the hell I pleased. Now, the highlight of my weekends consists of grocery shopping, errands, yard work, house work and anything else that needs to get done.

Lately I've been on home improvement kicks
frank_the_tank_by_kelymin.png

I work full time as a broker, teach part time as an adjunct, and do some pro-bono legal work here and there....but for fun.... none of these seem terribly fun lately.
Tennis (about a 4.0- lately)
Golf (now breaking 90 every other time it seems)
Lately I've been doing the cigar thing at the local place in Wesley Chapel....a beer, a cigar, and chill vibe.... just so nice on the way home after work a day or two a week.

SeaPa's "...kids" comment made me laugh.

Fishing, golf, tennis and college football are my hobbies. I don't get to do the first two nearly as much as I'd like. 2nd-grader son is taking up a lot of time with his soccer. Going to watch him play games is pretty fun (practice, not so much)....I guess that's kind of a hobby.

Used to do a lot of diving, but it's been a awhile. Lately, standup paddleboarding. Primarily for cruising, touring around, and fitness.

I started flying airplanes, it's been a lot of fun, gives me something to study, and I can get to the airport and back before 0900 so I still get all day on the weekend with my kids. I figure when they are a bit bigger and I'm licensed I can take them with me. I bought into a share of 3 airplanes so there is pretty much always one available. I contracted a guy to teach me, and he is usually available so it's been fun lately.

I don't skydive much anymore, I try to get out at least for a few jumps every couple of months just so I stay reasonably current. I stand up paddle board some, work out a little, not often enough, and try to always be reading a book, at least for 15 / 20minutes before bed.

My number one hobby is still cooking, its something I like to do, that also is very functional for the family and I pack a lot of meals for my work week so that has an impact on health and economics too. But it's also fun.

I guess that's about it, when you have little kids they chew up a bunch of your time.

Golf, live music, craft beer, reading, baseball, football, gambling, travel.

I have a 2 year old and still have time for all these things.

Yeah, when my older son was 2 (and at the time an only child) I still had time for a lot of other stuff, was still golfing every Sunday & still taking 1 or 2 dive trips a year. When the 2nd came along, and they got old enough to become involved in kids' sports, that came to a screeching halt.

Yeah, when my older son was 2 (and at the time an only child) I still had time for a lot of other stuff, was still golfing every Sunday & still taking 1 or 2 dive trips a year. When the 2nd came along, and they got old enough to become involved in kids' sports, that came to a screeching halt.
Dead on. Second one is the killer. Now both parents are occupied at all times. Our hobbies have turned into kids things or stuff we like that the kids can do. Still go snowboarding once a year, but it is much more expensive due to ski school. Go to beach club every weekend, but Only really get 2 hours enjoyment when little one is napping. We both enjoy cooking and try to do some nice meals and cook stuff Saturday night for the week with some wine. Love the time with my kids, but also looking forward to when they are both able to go to friends houses for the night.

My kids are 9, 7 & 6 so hobbies are coaching baseball/basketball & yard work. Some of my friends do not realize that golf, tennis, biking & running must go by the wayside once your kids hit activity age. See a lot of couples bickering over not wanting to give that up. My bro-in-law does triathlons instead of attending his kids games & wife is ready to end it. Our generation of adults are very selfish.

Years back, wifey and I used to hang out all the time with a crowd. Weekends and evenings were spent together. Either just hanging out, cooking, partying, working on each others houses, camping, traveling, etc...As our group of friends began to have kids, what once were very typical gatherings and activities began to be less frequent. Once the kids sports and such intruded, our crowd began to drift apart. Now that the kids are in or just graduated college, we are reaching back out in order to catch back with some of those folks.

Tell us more about these parties....
Well, one of my favorites was during a pretty good snow storm. Me and a buddy were renting a house up at nearly 5,000' elevation on a very steep, gravel road.and we had a crowd of about 15 or so up for potluck supper, drinks, and general misbehavior. The last crew pulled in with 6 inches of snow on the ground and radio reports of a pretty big dump coming... It soon became apparent that this would be a sleepover as the snow piled up and the inebriation level likewise rose.
The next morning we cooked a huge breakfast on the wood cookstove and made a home made sled to pull behind one of the 4x4 trucks...we would go to the bottom of the hill and drag folks back up several miles through 18" of nice powder...points were awarded for not spilling the Bloody Mary or dropping a beer can while sledding....or driving. Early afternoon the snow plow came along and put an end to the sledding, but not to the other events.
Those were the days, Feej.,

We just became empty nesters earlier this summer so our situation is different than most of y'all. Even though I live on a golf course, I don't play much. I do need to get out more. I work in my yard, piddle around the house and cook a lot. I'm supplying BBQ for a party next weekend. When the weather cools I have a couple of bigger projects planned but have little desire to work that hard in the heat.

Well, one of my favorites was during a pretty good snow storm. Me and a buddy were renting a house up at nearly 5,000' elevation on a very steep, gravel road.and we had a crowd of about 15 or so up for potluck supper, drinks, and general misbehavior. The last crew pulled in with 6 inches of snow on the ground and radio reports of a pretty big dump coming... It soon became apparent that this would be a sleepover as the snow piled up and the inebriation level likewise rose.
The next morning we cooked a huge breakfast on the wood cookstove and made a home made sled to pull behind one of the 4x4 trucks...we would go to the bottom of the hill and drag folks back up several miles through 18" of nice powder...points were awarded for not spilling the Bloody Mary or dropping a beer can while sledding....or driving. Early afternoon the snow plow came along and put an end to the sledding, but not to the other events.
I think he's most interested in the part between "...the inebriation level rose" and "The next morning..."

Reactions: skramer100

That's good stuff there. The impromptu fly by the seat of your pants parties are great. The ones you plan for two weeks usually blow.

Just to spin this a little differently, as I mentioned, Wife and I are empty nesters now that we sent our daughter off to her junior year in college. I am 50 and she is 53. We have some friends/acquaintances that are roughly our age, late 40's and middle 50's that have four year old to 6 year old kids.

No offense to anyone in this situation, but if I had to deal with toddlers in my 50's, I just might shoot myself. That puts you in high school graduation and paying for college in your mid to late 60's. I can't imagine having a kid in college and being 70. Hobbies, what hobbies?

That's good stuff there. The impromptu fly by the seat of your pants parties are great. The ones you plan for two weeks usually blow.

Just to spin this a little differently, as I mentioned, Wife and I are empty nesters now that we sent our daughter off to her junior year in college. I am 50 and she is 53. We have some friends/acquaintances that are roughly our age, late 40's and middle 50's that have four year old to 6 year old kids.

No offense to anyone in this situation, but if I had to deal with toddlers in my 50's, I just might shoot myself. That puts you in high school graduation and paying for college in your mid to late 60's. I can't imagine having a kid in college and being 70. Hobbies, what hobbies?

I'm with you...I'm headed toward an empty nest at 50 in seven more years. I know we missed a lot of fun on the front end, but I don't know what I would do if I had to be on this pace in my 60s.

Obviously, some people are able do very well career wise and financially and end up being able to pull down good bucks at the end of their careers without much pressure or hours. That's definitely great. But I see so many guys in their sixties in the white collar world that are still hustling to make that nut. It would horrify me to be say 62 and be in the position of HAVING to make say $150k a year, and be captive to living where you could do it, having the fear of your job going away, and just the pressure associated with a job like that.

Looking forward to the day I can leave the real job behind and drive an Uber or be a hotel concierge or something.

Yep. By the time I'm 50 both of my kids will be out of college (God willing) and the wifey and I can do some of the things (hobbies/travel) we've deferred for so long.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT