ADVERTISEMENT

What is Your Most Embarrassing Personal Sports Memory?

More Kirk Less Spock

Seminole Insider
Sep 9, 2007
My wife likes to say my glory days memories are clouding reality, but I also remember the failures in vivid detail. For example:
1) I remember missing a penalty kick by about 15 yards over the crossbar at 14 years old. My own teammates and even me laughing my head off at how bad it was.
2) In 5th grade, as a pitcher, I hit 5 batters in 1 inning. My coach was completely drunk in the dugout and refused to pull me. Finally the ump stepped in. Worst/best part - the kid who had recently won away my girlfriend was batting and I pegged him square in the neck and left imprints of the ball seams for a week. My best friend, the short stop, yelled Bulls Eye as he dropped to the ground. So ridiculous it still makes me laugh to this day.

Reactions: dmm5157
Playing offensive tackle, my facemask got caught on the facemask of a d-lineman and we couldn't get them separated. We're standing there face to face in the middle of the field as the play was over, probably dancing around in a circle as we tried to free ourselves. Finally we took the helmets off an got them apart, but there was a period of time there where it looked/felt pretty silly.

Other than that... there was a time where I got really super pissed about something and had two false start penalties in a row. That wasn't a particularly proud moment.

Playing in a high school baseball showcase in GT's stadium in front of about 100 scouts. I proceeded to strike out 4 straight times. In my 5th at bat I went to a full count, and was releived to just fist a dribbler to the 3rd baseman.

Bad timing to have about the worst hitting performance of my life!

I was one of the up-men on the kickoff receiving team, lined up right in front of the kicker. He kicked a knuckle ball right at me. It bounced right off of my facemask. They recovered the football and later scored on that drive.

A friend of mine in LL was on first base while his best friend was up to bat. His best friend hit what appeared to be a home run so he waited between second and first base to high five him. Only problem was the ball hit the fence and was fielded by the center fielder. They were both thrown out since my friend blocked his best friend from legging out a double.

I'll out my brother too...also at Levy rec center (I think) - He inbounds a pass and immediately shoots into his own basket. One of those what the heck moments we still rib him about years later.

Reactions: dmm5157
One stands out above the rest.

I was prob around 10 or 11 and we were playing baseball at a field that didn't have bathrooms, just a port-o-john at the far end of the fields (no where near where we were). It was hotter than sin that day and we'd been told to drink plenty of water. I had to take a leak so bad, but I decided I didn't want to have to run between innings or have coach take me out. I came up to bat and hit a triple. While I slid into 3rd, I couldn't hold it in anymore and pissed my pants. When I stood up, rather than admitting that's what I did, I started acting like I was sick to my stomach. In the process, my coach thought I was really sick from heat stroke and took me out (exactly what I didn't want to happen). So, in the end, I pissed my pants AND got taken out of the game. Made me sit in the dugout with an ice bag on my head/neck. I did get a chance to go take a leak at that point. Looking back, Why the eff didn't I just tell the coach i had to piss? Seriously stupid.

A more recent one, when I was in high school playing in a varsity golf tournament, I knocked a shot stiff to within a foot of the cup. At that point, I was in the running for 1st place in the tournament, but not exactly sure how close. I was talking to one of the guys in my group and went to tap the ball in ... and missed my putt. The two of us stood there in shock and he said immediately, "I didn't see that man, it's fine. I'll mark it 3". I immediately told him, "No. No, I missed it." Tapped in for par and ended up missing the playoff by 1 stroke. Would have put me in a playoff with one of my childhood rivals and one of my team-mates (3 way tie for 1st place). That one burned me for a while, but my coach did have a chat with me after the round and commended me for "doing the right thing".

In a high school baseball game I was playing 1st base. Opposing team had runners on 1st and 3rd, held the runner on for what seemed like 17 pitches. Guy steals second, held the bag with nobody on the next pitch.

Playing city league football in 7th grade. My skinny ass was playing guard and had Julian Pittman lined up across from me. He ran me over all day long. I swear he was 2 feet taller than everyone else on the field.

One stands out above the rest.

I was prob around 10 or 11 and we were playing baseball at a field that didn't have bathrooms, just a port-o-john at the far end of the fields (no where near where we were). It was hotter than sin that day and we'd been told to drink plenty of water. I had to take a leak so bad, but I decided I didn't want to have to run between innings or have coach take me out. I came up to bat and hit a triple. While I slid into 3rd, I couldn't hold it in anymore and pissed my pants. When I stood up, rather than admitting that's what I did, I started acting like I was sick to my stomach. In the process, my coach thought I was really sick from heat stroke and took me out (exactly what I didn't want to happen). So, in the end, I pissed my pants AND got taken out of the game. Made me sit in the dugout with an ice bag on my head/neck. I did get a chance to go take a leak at that point. Looking back, Why the eff didn't I just tell the coach i had to piss? Seriously stupid.

A more recent one, when I was in high school playing in a varsity golf tournament, I knocked a shot stiff to within a foot of the cup. At that point, I was in the running for 1st place in the tournament, but not exactly sure how close. I was talking to one of the guys in my group and went to tap the ball in ... and missed my putt. The two of us stood there in shock and he said immediately, "I didn't see that man, it's fine. I'll mark it 3". I immediately told him, "No. No, I missed it." Tapped in for par and ended up missing the playoff by 1 stroke. Would have put me in a playoff with one of my childhood rivals and one of my team-mates (3 way tie for 1st place). That one burned me for a while, but my coach did have a chat with me after the round and commended me for "doing the right thing".

The peeing on yourself in a game story / gotta be the winner so far. But the failed bicycle kick...I can picture that vividly.

Ha nice topic, I have a few-

A few yrs ago I whiffed on the first hole tee box in front of at least 20 people lined up behind us. My next swing I shanked a line drive screamer 6" off the ground and into an ob oak tree that ricocheted back onto the front of the fairway right in front off the tees. That got a big chuckle from my buddies.

Hit the same kid 3 times in one game pitching in LL. His mom was yelling at me from the stands on his 3rd ab and I proceeded to peg him in the kidney once again.

Tripped on a 1v1 vs a goalie in HS soccer. It was off a deflection from midfield and there were no other players in the area, I had a clear shot on goal and somehow fell when dribbling the ball about to take a shot from the right penalty area. The ball just slowly rolled to the goalie where he just scooped it right up.

The very first shot I ever hit in tournament golf; I was 10 years old, playing in a junior tournament at the course near where I grew up. We were one of the very early groups off, so there were probably 75 to 100 people around the first tee - making me nervous as hell. I cold topped it, very nearly whiffing (the ball went about 10 yards). I recovered pretty well, salvaged a bogey & came in 2nd place in my age group.

Years later, on the very same hole, I hit an even worse drive in a member-guest tournament. The night before the tournament, I'd badly injured my shoulder playing hoops (fell for a head fake, still blocked the shot as I was coming down, but the other guy was going up & yanked my should back badly). I could barely lift my arm & probably shouldn't have played, but they couldn't find a last minute replacement. So the first swing of the day, I take the club back & it hurts like hell when I start my downswing. I flinch bigtime, hit it thin & on the heel of the club. Ball rockets off low & hits the hole sign by the white tees, dead solid. For a couple of seconds we're looking around for the ball, then hear BAM as it comes down on the tin roof of the cart barn, 25 yards back & left of the tees. Watch it roll down the roof & come to rest in the cart barn, with everyone around laughing. It's in bounds, so I walk back to the cart barn, cart kid tosses it to me & I drop by the putting green, off the pavement. Follow it up with 3 wood, 3 wood, 7 iron to 15 feet & drain the putt for what was, quite likely, the greatest par in the history of golf.

When I was 6 my dad made a vodka fruit punch drink before my baseball game. He then went back to his room to get his wallet. My dad makes his drinks pretty strong. Well, I saw fruit punch and I chugged that drink til there was nothing left, in probably like 10 seconds. So he comes back to the kitchen and is like, oh no!!

He took me to the game anyway, I was terrible that day(typically one of the best players on the team). I vaguely remember balls rolling under my legs, whiffing and spinning around like a bugs bunny cartoon. My dad was worried someone would pick up and start asking questions of why I'm no my usual all-star self. so I played a tee-ball game drunk off my behind.

Embarrassing moments, both playing goalie in soccer. One was an indoor game I literally remember this as clear as day. I froze, and watched a ball roll, essentially in slow motion, through my legs.

The other in HS playing goalie, I went to drop kick punt the ball, it was wet and I slipped. The ball went scooting across to the top of the 18 right into the opposing teams goal. I was way off to the right, with no chance to save the ball from going in.

Playing infield during an American Legion baseball game (state semi-finals of course), our pitcher induced back-to-back routine ground balls hit at me. I muffed not only the first one putting a runner on 1st, but also the second one, which should have been an easy double play. We got out of the inning giving up only one run, but lost to eventual state champion, Deland, 2 - 1.

While this happened many years ago, it still haunts me a bit...

I also almost gave up a goal, to the opposing goalkeeper, in a Tally city league soccer game when I was at FSU. It was ridiculously windy; going into the wind, if you were at the top of the box you couldn't punt it halfway to midfield. But with the wind........their keeper picked it up & punted. I was up near the top of the box. As it was coming down, I realized it was easily bouncing way over my head. Started a mad dash back to the goal. Caught up to it just before it went in & threw it behind my back. I then ran/slit into the back of the net & got all tangled up, with the ball still in play - not far from the goalline, with the wind pushing slowly toward the goal while I'm looking like Nemo and Dory caught in the net. One of my fullbacks got to it ahead of the wind & their striker & cleared it for me.

Playing All-Star Summer baseball between my junior and senior year of HS. Me and my friends go out on Friday night and get absolutely drunk out of our minds...vomiting, beer sh*ts, etc. Wake up hung over as all hell the next day at 8 a.m. and head down to the baseball field. Game started at 9:30 and the temperature was in the mid 80s already. Well, we only had 9 guys and I was the starting SS. In the third inning, my stomach starts doing backflips, violent gas/stomach pains. I realize I am about to crap myself, so I drop my glove at SS in the middle of a batter and run off the field in to the woods to take care of business. The game had to be held up while I was gone, I had to wipe my ass with some old newspaper I found and everyone knew exactly what happened.

My dad umpired baseball including up to some Little League World Series games... Everyone around town knew him. One Saturday he was out to watch me play and the second umpire did not show up so they recruited him to ump the bases. Somewhere around the third inning i was on first base when the batter rapped a single to left field. I got a good jump and made the turn at second and continued on to third with the play happening in front of me. I beat the throw easily and bounced up from the slide only to hear this booming "YOU'RE OUT!!" coming from somewhere behind me...

I turned around and glared at him and he had the biggest grin on his face. The best part was not a person said a word because they all knew he was my dad. You could have heard a pin drop.

I used to be a catcher and right fielder. I hated right field because of all of the right handers slicing balls at you, they tend to curve back towards foul line. A very good friend was up to bat with the bases loaded, he sliced a ball right at me that started curving towards foul line. I dropped it and all 3 runs scored and we lost.

Was a fattie for awhile as a kid. 12 year old little league my pants ripped, right down the ass-crack. I was one of the best players on the team and it was the league semifinals so we had to do something. Got duct tape and taped the outside of my ass up. I was horrified every time I went to bat.

Other was Freshman BB we are playing one of the best districts in our area. I am going off and having a great game. Dude fouls me pretty hard and I step up to the line. As I shoot kid in crowd yells to distract me as I shoot. Nothing but net, so me being the hard ass 15 year old look up at the kid in the crowd. Proceed to airball the next free throw by at least 3 feet. Really tough game from that point on. Heard a lot of crap.

Was in the 3rd grade playing on the all star soccer team. We were pretty good and in the championship game of a tournament in Tallahassee. I kicked the winning the goal....for the other team :/ To my defense, I was a defender and it just happened. I had never seen something like happen before. It scarred me for years, I felt like the biggest loser ever. I'm not kidding...it messed my confidence for awhile. Turns out it happens more often than one would think...even on the pro level.

I was playing softball with some friends 3 years ago. Went to slide into to home plate and came up a foot short.

In Little League I stopped the game, ran across the field from center field, reached down my pants, grabbed my cup out and tossed it to my mom over the back stop....she was so proud.

Last edited:
Was in the 3rd grade playing on the all star soccer team. We were pretty good and in the championship game of a tournament in Tallahassee. I kicked the winning the goal....for the other team :/ To my defense, I was a defender and it just happened. I had never seen something like happen before. It scarred me for years, I felt like the biggest loser ever. I'm not kidding...it messed my confidence for awhile. Turns out it happens more often than one would think...even on the pro level.

I was playing softball with some friends 3 years ago. Went to slide into to home plate and came up a foot short.

In Little League I stopped the game, ran across the field from center field, reached down my pants, grabbed my cup out and tossed it to my mom over the back stop....she was so proud.

So cathartic to real all these, but I have to ask - why give her the cup? comfort?

So cathartic to real all these, but I have to ask - why give her the cup? comfort?

yeah, clearly not for comfort.

I was also the catcher. I was pulled the inning prior and didn't think to pull my cup out as well before taking center field.

Another one: playing SS in a HS baseball game. Runner on first, batter hits a a slow roller to second base, I come to cover the bag and take the throw thinking the whole time I could only get the force out. I caught the ball and held on to it only to look up and see that I could have easily thrown out the batter at first if I just continued the play (I found out later he tripped coming out of the box). I was so embarrassed that I faked a groin injury and went down, laid on the field and even came out of the game for good measure. Awful.

Last edited:
Another one: playing SS in a HS baseball game. Runner on first, better hits a a slow roller to second base, I come to cover the bag and take the throw thinking the whole time I could only get the force out. I caught the ball and held on to it only to look up and see that I could have easily thrown out the batter at first if I just continued the play (I found out later he tripped coming out of the box). I was so embarrassed that I faked a groin injury and went down, laid on the field and even came out of the game for good measure. Awful.

LOL - my kid used to do that after he muffed a fly ball. He was suddenly hurt. I used to just laugh and say, "cut it out goofball."

Jeez these are making me seem like a scrub, but I was actually pretty good. Anyway-

I had a nohitter through 5 but walked the bases around and they scored a run, then got pulled cause I exceeded the pitch count.

Sectional allstar game, I fell down in the batters box cause I thought I was going to get hit, Ump called strikeout as I was on the clay. (In my defense the kid had a nasty ass curve and later played SS for the Chisox).

Playing RF and called off 2nd baseman on a short routine pop fly, ball bounced out of my glove, guy on 3rd scored in the confusion.

Purposely over threw cutoff man on a deep LF shot trying to gun the runner out at home. The ball skipped on the infield grass while the runner scored.

Got fooled on the 1st base hide the ball trick leading off. Had to run across the infield to our home dugout with my head down ready for laughs and ass chewing by coach. Had to run gassers in the OF by myself after the game.

Played 1st base in high school and we were doing pick off drills. Coach said I wasn't catching and snapping my glove down quick enough, so next pick-off throw I snapped it down quicker, but the ball wasn't quite there yet and knicked my glove and hit me in the forehead, knocking my hat off and leaving a big red knot where it hit.

Back in '81 I had the 54 hole lead on Joe Dirt in the Divot Derby and I didn't close the deal...

I played Jr hockey in high school. The one and only penalty shot I ever took in a game I missed the net by 5'. Teammates let me have it for that one.

Luckily we crushed the other team and I already had 2 goals in the game.

Reactions: skramer100
My wife likes to say my glory days memories are clouding reality, but I also remember the failures in vivid detail. For example:
1) I remember missing a penalty kick by about 15 yards over the crossbar at 14 years old. My own teammates and even me laughing my head off at how bad it was.
2) In 5th grade, as a pitcher, I hit 5 batters in 1 inning. My coach was completely drunk in the dugout and refused to pull me. Finally the ump stepped in. Worst/best part - the kid who had recently won away my girlfriend was batting and I pegged him square in the neck and left imprints of the ball seams for a week. My best friend, the short stop, yelled Bulls Eye as he dropped to the ground. So ridiculous it still makes me laugh to this day.

I'll admit to one I haven't told many people and repressed in my memory. I got posterized by Bob Sura in a pickup game. I went to help when he beat his guy and I was late getting over. I'm not a tall guy, so basically it was his crotch in my face as he dunked.

Giving up 7 homeruns to Thad Busby on the old IM fields while he was wearing cutoff jean shorts and a wife beater.

Thad was the man.

Maybe the most underrated fsu qb of all time too

State golf championships senior year high school i drained a 30 foot birdie putt on first playoff hole to halve the hole. Super amped then went to next tee and put my drive OB left and hitting three on tee box went OB left again. Shot 74 until that damn playoff

Reactions: cmanole
My senior year of HS I played on the kickoff coverage team and in the first game of the season I went down and thought I had a good angle to make a tackle, well at the last second realized a 265 lb DE was about to blow me up. I was 145 lbs at the time, so you can guess how that turned out.

On the bright side, I did give the coaches and team something to laugh about the next day in film after losing that game 44-7.

Got pancaked on a crack block by a smaller receiver. Wasn't vicious, just knocked me down.

In basketball: I had a very good pump fake under the basket & it almost always worked--drew a foul or no foul & easy layup. Well this guy goes for the pumpfake so I stepped under/through & released the ball... unfortunately for me, the guy was 6'7 (I was about 6'2 at the time) and could jump out of the gym. He was on his way down as I released the ball. I still don't know if he was on my hip or behind me, but he swatted the ball almost straight into the ground. Ball bounced at least 12 feet in the air & into the crowd. Was a home game-- silence for a second, then laughter... I laughed as well (ridiculous block).

Had a buddy on my high school basketball team who thought it'd be hilarious to fart on our assistant coach (who was in his early 20's, likely a stoner, and took on more of a babysitter role than coaching role) just before starters were announced for a home game. He sharted. Was wearing boxers (not much protection) so it bled through his shorts. Don't remember what he did about the boxers, but I know he was stuck with those shorts for the game. Anyway, me him and another guy from that team led our intramural basketball team to a championship at FSU... I think he won the 3 on 3 championship too. Good player, just had a joke completely backfire on him. Come to think of it, I think he shat himself a couple times in college too.

Remembered another one. Playing the one inner city school in my area in BB, pump fake my guy out of the gym, step over into the corner and shoot a three. This kid comes from the block and doesn't really block my shot, but throws it. Ball goes out the door in the gym and down the hallway. People had to chase it and I had to just stand there with my head down laughing my ass off at the whole thing.

I was probably 12, at a summer day camp in Tallahassee. We played practice soccer games in the gym, gearing up for a big game, featuring the best players in front of all the campers. In a practice game they stuck me at goalie because I was fairly tall for my age. I stopped a bunch of shots, but most of them were just luck as they kicked the ball right at me over and over. Still, they were impressed, so they put at me at starting goalie for the big game. I was never a very popular kid, so this was my chance to shine and maybe win some respect. The bleachers fill, the game starts, and immediately there's a long, slow arcing kick from half court that comes right to me...and bounces right out of my arms and into the goal behind me. I get yanked from the game and mocked, understandably.

Remembered another one. Playing the one inner city school in my area in BB, pump fake my guy out of the gym, step over into the corner and shoot a three. This kid comes from the block and doesn't really block my shot, but throws it. Ball goes out the door in the gym and down the hallway. People had to chase it and I had to just stand there with my head down laughing my ass off at the whole thing.

A friend of my brother laughs about a shot he had blocked, on his team's opening possession of a state championship game. He made a good move on the guy covering him & pulled up for a 15 foot jumper. As he was letting it go he realized the opponent's center was closing on him & thought he might get a piece of the shot. The guy was bigger & quicker than he realized - didn't just get a piece of it but simply snatched it out of the air with both hands, came down & flung it to a teammate for a fast break layup.
It set the tone for an ass-kicking; the shot blocker was Darryl Dawkins.

Reactions: skramer100
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT