ADVERTISEMENT

What song would you want played at your funeral?

FSU&WFU Grad

Walk-on
Jun 1, 2003
Having gone to several lately, I got to thinking Amazing Grace and such were just too predictable. Got to thinking what would be some unconventional yet poignant choices...Pink Floyd Wish you were here?
Morbid I know....

Whatever the people there want to hear. I guess if you're looking for ideas and seem interested in 60's 70's era:

Reactions: NolaNole9
Having gone to several lately, I got to thinking Amazing Grace and such were just too predictable. Got to thinking what would be some unconventional yet poignant choices...Pink Floyd Wish you were here?
Morbid I know....
stairway to heaven!!!

'The Great Gig in the Sky' - Pink Floyd

These are more predictable:
'The Man Comes Around' - Johnny Cash
'Down to the River to Pray' - Alison Krauss
'I Want to Ride That Glory Train' - Abyssinian Baptist Gospel Choir (version on 'Artist's Choice: Tony Bennett')

Take Me to the River- Talking Heads
Hand It Over- Keb Mo
Seven Little Indians- John Hiatt
Wade in the Water- traditional
Right Place, Wrong Time- Rick Derringer
Sit Down on the Banks- Rory Block
Somebody's Gone- Blind Boys of Alabama
Funny How Time Slips Away- Al Green
I Bid You Goodnight- Aaron Neville
Trouble- Inara George

I have done several playlists for friends who lost folks.

Reactions: squiffynole
Hallelujah – Jeff Buckley
Casadh an tSúgáin - Larla O Lionaird
Living Years - Mike & The Mechanics
Tears In Heaven - Eric Clapton
Danny Boy - Andy Williams
Plastic Jesus - Paul Newman
Keg On My Coffin – The Push Stars
The Parting Glass - Ed Sheeran or Sarah Greene

Last edited:
Reactions: NolaNole9
Carolina In My Mind--James Taylor (both versions)
Goodbye My Friend--Karla Bonoff
The Circle Game--Joni Mitchell
Circle--Harry Chapin
Follow Your Dreams--Poco
Every Picture Tells A Story--Rod Stewart
Mississippi Queen--Mountain (best rock song ever!)

1 just to get everybody crying will used the song Angel by Sarah McLaughlin.. even though that song is not about dying and Heaven. Sara has many depressing songs that would be very fitting and upsetting. Not that I would use those
2 Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
3 greatest gig in the sky Again by Pink Floyd.
4. Don't always get what you want by the Stones.
5. Gimme shelter...Stones
But I guess on a serious note I guess stick with the Mainstay Amazing Grace

River of Deceipt by Mad Season or Don't Follow by AIC. Real tear jerkers that will open the flood gates.

I haven't really been to a funeral with popular music, and so I can't imagine mine would have something like that, but if I could choose it would be "I'm Not Like Everybody Else" by The Kinks. Not really anything to do with death, just something to sum me up.

That said, it's pretty much just fantasy/aspirational, because I don't think anyone there would consider it applied to me. But in my head at least.

Hakuna Matata from the Lion King played on a loop for the entire memorial service. People would never forget it.

Reactions: ggmike1992
Actually I have planned not to die and so far so good with that plan. So the need for a funeral seems pointless.

But if forced to make a choice, right now I would lean towards In A Gadda Da Vida with the drum solo of course.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT