ADVERTISEMENT

What would it take for you to move for a job?

I'd move back to Colorado in a heartbeat. For 1/2 the money and I'd walk with a little red wagon with only my favorite 3 items.

However that would mean my wife and kids had been abducted by aliens.

Having executed 2 cross country moves in the past 4 years, it would take a lot to make me move. I don't know if I would do it just for a dollar figure, as we live close to my inlaws now and they are such an active role in my children's lives and no amount of money could replace that.

The location would play a big factor too, I would pretty much only move to Denver, Salt Lake City, Tampa, Austin, Atlanta or San Diego at this point.

On the other side of the coin, I could stand to make 1/2 as much money as I make now and still stay where I am, the cost of living is fairly low and we live a pretty modest life, neither my wife nor I buy a lot of frivolous stuff, drive luxury cars or care at all about keeping up with the Jonses. My wife could always go back to work to supplement that too, so really less than half.

The idea of moving right now makes me shudder, I think I'd burn my house down with all my shit in it before doing it again, and that is even with the help of movers. I'm sure I'll get the itch again in a few years, but I've put too much elbow grease into this house and am just starting to settle in.

I've had 2 job offers for significantly more money in the past 2 years, one to Huston and one to Austin. Huston, no way. Austin I'm sure I'd go, but it would have to be the right time. Now is just not the right time.

Also, I really like my job right now, all money aside I really like the job, so theres that, it would be tough to leave a job you actually like. I work too much, but it's a worthy cause so it makes it a little easier to tolerate.

No on Houston because you don't like the city? The weather isn't much different than Florida is it?

It wouldn't take much to get me to move overseas--especially to latin America. I was in cursory discussions to open an office in Brazil, but do not speak Portuguese. Domestically, I would just depend on where. Big joke around here is when am I going to open the New Orleans office--that would take a lot of cash money (homie) to make that happen.

Reactions: FSU2k11
You think so? You might be right, but it seems that the I-10 corridor from Houston to Tally all share about the same climate.

Not really sure. Guessing a lot more money, with the opportunity to drastically move up. Even then, I think it would matter on the place. Had that exact offer to go to Chicago area, which I love, but the only reason to go was to get back to South Florida with a better deal. So we nixed it. Think the only places I would go would be Vail/Breck or maybe SF/Napa area. Also thought I would go to LA, but wife had a great offer there and I was offered to make a lateral move and turned that down. Like others have said, quality of life is huge, and I love it here.

Told my wife long ago that I'm never moving further east than Denver again. So there's that. Would have to be a desirable location, better money, and someplace with good schools for the kids. At this point any job would be better by definition as my current employer is a shit-show.
Unlike many of you I've been ready to leave my location for a while, but the kids are happy in their schools. So I'll suck it up for a few more years. But as soon as they leave for college...

Amazing that you managed to conclude that from a comment about the weather and not follow who actually said they wouldn't live in Houston. Bravo. Lighten up Nancy.

BTW, I don't live in Dallas.

We get it, you hate Houston. You've only had to say it 186 times

Stay in Dallas.

Lol, I think Tex lives in Jax. Gulf Coast isn't for everyone....lack of both Aqua-Net hair styles and credit card millionaires seems turn our friends from the 214 off (I keed, I keed)

Lol, I think Tex lives in Jax. Gulf Coast isn't for everyone....lack of both Aqua-Net hair styles and credit card millionaires seems turn our friends from the 214 off (I keed, I keed)

Houston isn't any different than Dallas in terms of douchebags and $30K a year millionaires. Both cities have plenty of those kinds of people to spare.

I think it's fair to generalize that anyone not in/from Houston, hates Houston. I know I do... :)

LOL, this is true. Dallas does live up to it's stereotypes though. I've noticed it over the years when I make trips home and it seems like the douche factor there has increased exponentially. However, Houston has just as many of these "credit card millionaires" and flash douchebags as Dallas.

My wife and I both agreed that if we were ever to go back to Texas, Houston and Dallas wouldn't make the cut. For us, it would be Fort Worth or Austin.

No on Houston because you don't like the city? The weather isn't much different than Florida is it?

I spent a lot of time in Houston for business over the years, enough to know with a high degree of certainty that I don't want to live there. Not just because of the weather. I just don't like it.

Reactions: DanC78
I can understand, Floridians are generally not accustomed to a robust economy, low unemployment, homes that increase in value, four quality sport franchises with stadiums that are not funded by the downtrodden; a legit "ivy league" university (Rice) and the best beef ribs and brisket in the state (Killen's in Pearland)

(I keed, I keed)

I can understand, Floridians are generally not accustomed to a robust economy, low unemployment, homes that increase in value, four quality sport franchises with stadiums that are not funded by the downtrodden; a legit "ivy league" university (Rice) and the best beef ribs and brisket in the state (Killen's in Pearland)

(I keed, I keed)

Jeeze don't take it so personal, I'd still come over to your house, drink some beer. I just don't like it. I don't like Dallas either.

You missed the "I keed I keed". Always have a shiner ready for you

I'm at love field in Dallas right now. There are a lot of goodookikg women here. Texas has that going for it.

They have really improved that airport. Nice wine bar and Stephen Pyle restaurant is pretty good.

I'm at love field in Dallas right now. There are a lot of goodookikg women here. Texas has that going for it.

My wife hates that airport but I always loved it for the convenience factor. You can drive right out onto Mockingbird Lane and be on the Dallas North Tollway or Stemmons Freeway in a matter of minutes.

Maybe 3 x what I make now but I don't even know if that would do it. My wife makes good money, she's pregnant with our first, we grew up in Tampa and both parents are here.

My company offered me a 40% raise to move to Boston and I turned it down.

Texas is overrated. (jobs are great, but all the rest is all talk...even the bbq).

I will give Austin a pardon on this comment.

Ha ha! If you are with a large Fortune 500 and you refuse a move, your career dies. Or at least that is how it used to be. You shouldn't be asked to move in the first place unless there was a promotion with a good raise, a move package and other perks. Unless it was a lateral move that saved your job, in which case you should probably look around anyway.

I seriously cried all the way from Tampa to Madison Wisconsin.

Madison is an awesome town.

I found it too small with no shopping, no decent restaurants, and absolutely too cold.

I know there are a lot of reasons people move, but wondering about people's thresholds for moving or not moving when looking at it solely from a financial perspective, and assuming COL is roughly equivalent.

Gain of X% or X dollars in comp? (Meaning how much more would you need to earn to move to a new location?)

Or a loss of X% or X dollars in comp? (Meaning how much of a pay cut would you be willing to take to stay where you are currently? )

I faced this situation six years ago. I had an opportunity to essentially double my pay to move to Tallahassee for an opportunity I wouldn't get otherwise. The pay would be great, but more importantly, the impact it would have on my retirement (state retirement) was unbelievable.

I worried about the impact on my family, but my kids had very few issues. My wife had the most difficulty, but by about year three she was fine. We only stayed four years, but I don't regret much of it at all.

The pay bump I was receiving was enough to help make our decision.

I just started discussing a potential role with a recruiter in Tampa and my "factors" started going through my head. It would be a nice sized bump in salary and it's in the only other area of the state my wife and I would consider living. We both love Tampa.

new salary commensurate with cost of living in new location and of course quality of life in new location. bottom line is don't take a step backwards for a $$ raise.

"...a legit "ivy league" university (Rice)..."
Undoubtedly it's the best university in the state, but it's not "ivy league". US News has it at #19 nationally. It's great (although isn't it in the middle of one of the worst parts of Houston?) but it's not Harvard, or even Duke or Vanderbilt.

You think that W. University is one of the worst parts of Houston. Now, I'm really starting to question your knowledge of Houston. I think you are thinking of U of H. And, for certain programs, I would put it above Duke and Vanderbilt. It's a fantastic school. FWIW, excellent day at the beach yesterday.

11892068_10206009089880038_7470596981349856604_n.jpg

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT