ADVERTISEMENT

Which Tonight Show Host was the Best?

Carson.
I vaguely remember Steve Allen having a live variety show that was hysterically funny. Steve couldn’t stop laughing at some of the stuff that happened and my Dad would never miss the show.

If you can find it the absolute funniest thing EVER on Steve’s show was the famous live ad for Timex watches.
“it takes a licking and keeps on ticking” failed when the watch got obliterated. Steve was laughing so hard I thought he’d pass out.
Live TV and no editing!

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I’m not old enough to remember Jack Paar. Steve Allen was great but Johnny defined the show. Pull up Buddy Hackett and “The Duck Joke”. Never gets old.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I’m not old enough to remember Jack Paar. Steve Allen was great but Johnny defined the show. Pull up Buddy Hackett and “The Duck Joke”. Never gets old.

Buddy Hackett's Duck Joke | Carson Tonight Show

Unpopular opinion — I’ve never found the tonight show, letterman, Leno, SNL, etc funny..

They have had funny moments.. but on the whole, those shows are and have been way overrated.

• Wow
Reactions: seminoleed
Unpopular opinion — I’ve never found the tonight show, letterman, Leno, SNL, etc funny..

They have had funny moments.. but on the whole, those shows are and have been way overrated.
Not so much now due to their politics but back in the day SNL was hilarious. Even some of the later stuff (pre 2016) was funny like Justin Timberlake and the junk in a box or the cow bell routine with Will Farrell. Eddie Murphy doing Mr. Rodgers and Buckwheat were rib busters. Debbie Downer and anything with Chris Farley are also funny.

Reactions: goldmom and F4Gary
Future murderer Robert Blake sitting next to Rickles in 1976

Don Rickles Lays Into Johnny as a Rhinestone Cowboy | Carson Tonight Show

Don Rickles Doesn't Hold Back | Carson Tonight Show

Last edited:
Reactions: BrianNole777
Not so much now due to their politics but back in the day SNL was hilarious. Even some of the later stuff (pre 2016) was funny like Justin Timberlake and the junk in a box or the cow bell routine with Will Farrell. Eddie Murphy doing Mr. Rodgers and Buckwheat were rib busters. Debbie Downer and anything with Chris Farley are also funny.
Agree on all those bits. Going back to the original days the first cast was funny or so it seemed to two new parents who were up late with a newborn. They were “so silly you had to laugh” funny if that makes sense,
Ackroyd and Steve Martin “We are here to see large American breasts” and Gilda Radner doing Roseanne Roseannadana (We were living in NY at the time, and the character was modeled after a WABC reporter so we thought it was spot on funny.
Farrell and Murphy came later and did some funny stuff. Buckwheat was epic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT