ADVERTISEMENT

Who is your most underrated Rock band of all time

"Bus Stop", "Just One Look", "Long Cool...", "The Air that I Breathe" are the hits. I don't know their catalogue, but they're greatest hits are all time greats to me.

Funny to have my memory jogged like that......I absolutely loved Bus Stop too, but hadn't thought of it in years, and didn't know it was the Hollies. When I happen across a Hollies CD in the out-of-the-way haunts I like to dig through, I'm gonna grab it just for "Long Cool" and that one.

Just One Look, honestly I recall the Linda Ronstadt cover first (l have her 2 main greatest hits CDs), and if I think about, the Motown original second. I didn't even know the Hollies had done a cover. If I read google right, they did a cover just one year after the original? Seems kind of a blatant knock off of some low hanging Motown fruit.

Last edited:
If you like prog music at all a newish band to check out is "Big Big Train" - a cross between Yes and Genesis (I cannot wait for some quotes from "American Psycho" - always a hoot after I post anything on Genesis!).

Creed

Yes, Scott Stapp became a massive douce in the process. But they put out some damn good albums for their genre.

and of course this band....not sure if you would call them underrated, but they are bad arse for sure!!!

Reactions: nynole1
Awesome Hollies talk. I love the Hollies...tons of great songs and hits. Some of their stuff borders on a little too much of the sickeningly sweet side to me (On A Carousel), but their best songs absolutely stack up to the best songs of anyone of the era. They've got probably three of my favorite 25-30 songs...Carrie Anne, Dear Eloise and King Midas in Reverse. And they were nowhere near a one hit wonder...Long Cool Woman was actually toward the tail end of their run, I think it was even in the 1970s.

A handful of big Hollies hits...
Carrie Anne
Look Through Any Window
Bus Stop
Stop Stop Stop
Long Cool Woman
Air That I Breath
He's Not Heavy He's My Brother
Just One Look
On a Carousel

But a few of their lesser hits that fill out some of their greatest hits albums are just magnificent...better than many of their big sellers...

Dear Eloise
King Midas In Reverse
Pay You Back with Interest
Too Young to Get Married
Sorry Suzanne

If you like the Hollies but haven't heard those, check them out, especially King Midas in Reverse. They're not super obscure, I think all of them made one or another of their best of albums and all of them except Too Young to Get Married Turn up on Sirius stations from time to time.

Just One Look, honestly I recall the Linda Ronstadt cover first (l have her 2 main greatest hits CDs), and if I think about, the Motown original second. I didn't even know the Hollies had done a cover. If I read google right, they did a cover just one year after the original? Seems kind of a blatant knock off of some low hanging Motown fruit.

It's crazy how that was a thing, not a bit unusual. Not just Motown, but any kind of cover. Sometimes it's not even a cover, it's just two bands releasing the same song. Sometimes they both hit, many times one misses and the others hit, and people only know the second. And sometimes they were super close together.

And it worked both ways...the Left Banke had a huge hit with Walk Away Renee in '65, and the Four Tops hit with it again in '68. That's one of the rare songs where I love two versions equally.

Paul Revere and the Raiders and the Kingsmen recorded Louie Louie almost simultaneously in the same city, maybe the same studio. The Raiders version was released a month before the Kingsmen, and was a bigger hit locally, but the Kingsmen version went national.

The Young Rascals and Wilson Picket both recorded Mustang Sally in 1966, Pickett's hit. Both of those are quite good. It happened endlessly.

....And they were nowhere near a one hit wonder...Long Cool Woman was actually toward the tail end of their run, I think it was even in the 1970s.

Yeah, my language was a little inexact. I meant that for me the 60s was a decade of one hits (or 2s or 3s) b/c as a kid in the 70s, I never had the albums, all I had was being held prisoner to whatever tunes our rinky-dink little station would decide to spin.

Yeah, my language was a little inexact. I meant that for me the 60s was a decade of one hits (or 2s or 3s) b/c as a kid in the 70s, I never had the albums, all I had was being held prisoner to whatever tunes our rinky-dink little station would decide to spin.

Makes perfect sense. I was lucky where I grew up to have a GREAT oldies station. It's not that they went super deep album cuts, but you'd hear pretty much any song by an artist that was a decent hit back in the day, so if you listened to it as much as I did, you might be familiar with 8-10 songs by the Raiders, Herman's Hermits, Grass Roots, etc. When I moved, to Tallahassee, Charlotte and Atlanta, the oldies stations were terrible in that regard (while they existed). They did exaclty what you say...identified 2-3 songs that were the most iconic from these bands, and just rotated them over an over.

Sirius 60s on 6, and to a lesser extent Underground Garage, are really pretty good in playing a bigger more representative slice of the 60s. They've got a good 10 songs or more from these bands in their rotation.

In the vein of Chicago, I offer Blood, Sweat and Tears. A hugely popular group in the late 60's, early 70's that was so popular they imploded. Some rumors insist that their pairing with the US State Department led to their downfall. Who knows? Many changes in the group led to their disintegration, though.

In the vein of Chicago, I offer Blood, Sweat and Tears. A hugely popular group in the late 60's, early 70's that was so popular they imploded. Some rumors insist that their pairing with the US State Department led to their downfall. Who knows? Many changes in the group led to their disintegration, though.
Yes, BS&T. Their drummer was one of the best of that era.

Makes perfect sense. I was lucky where I grew up to have a GREAT oldies station. It's not that they went super deep album cuts, but you'd hear pretty much any song by an artist that was a decent hit back in the day, so if you listened to it as much as I did, you might be familiar with 8-10 songs by the Raiders, Herman's Hermits, Grass Roots, etc. When I moved, to Tallahassee, Charlotte and Atlanta, the oldies stations were terrible in that regard (while they existed). They did exaclty what you say...identified 2-3 songs that were the most iconic from these bands, and just rotated them over an over.

Sirius 60s on 6, and to a lesser extent Underground Garage, are really pretty good in playing a bigger more representative slice of the 60s. They've got a good 10 songs or more from these bands in their rotation.
Lou, you need to get this book.

Amazon product ASIN 0312043104
5149NGWTMXL._SX312_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

underrated would probably have to include Blondie, crossed over every genre

Reactions: MIKE_G
Something is effed up with this website. I tried to insert an Amazon.com link and it doesn't come through. Good grief.

new order
devo
blind melon
dan black
david byrne/ brian eno
three six mafia
jason isbell
el ten eleven
mf doom
j dilla
nightmares on wax
big audio dynamite
kraftwerk
modest mouse
beck
chance the rapper
dillinger
cex
rjd2
das racists
el michels affair
floating action
homeboy sandman
taj mahal
nicolay
oddisee
phoenix
ryan bingham
air
fiona apple
modeski martin wood
the strokes

If you want to talk about guitarists, I'd say Glenn Campbell.

OK I'll go down that street.... Roy Clark!!!

Dude could make a banjo, acoustic, electric, fiddle, mandolin HUM!
I know this from my dad watching HEE-HAW in the late 60's 70's. LOL
Oh yea, nice tv talent for those days.

Last edited:
i was assuming an underrated band would be a musical act that never really ascended to the mainstream audience and popular landscape.... yet i see bands like ...led zeppelin.... the beatles.... and for christ sakes the EAGLES listed here..... many thousands of years from now those songs will be listened to..... have so few of you ever explored music outside the mainstream?.....

i was assuming an underrated band would be a musical act that never really ascended to the mainstream audience and popular landscape.... yet i see bands like ...led zeppelin.... the beatles.... and for christ sakes the EAGLES listed here..... many thousands of years from now those songs will be listened to..... have so few of you ever explored music outside the mainstream?.....
Well, sure you can go and name a bunch of bands that most people have never heard of and claim they're underrated. In answering "Supertramp",I mentioned a group that I feel is underrated within the mainstream, and most people on here don't have to go do a bunch of research in order to decide whether they agree with me or not.

Well, sure you can go and name a bunch of bands that most people have never heard of and claim they're underrated. In answering "Supertramp",I mentioned a group that I feel is underrated within the mainstream, and most people on here don't have to go do a bunch of research in order to decide whether they agree with me or not.
I actually prefer Crime of the Century over Breakfast in America but agree with you on Supertramp being underrated.

Sure a band like Supertramp can be considered underrated. There's no way you can claim the Eagles, Beatles, or Led Zepellin fall into those categories. They're only the most celebrated bands of their times for their genres.

Reactions: NY_22_Nole
I would agree that some are listing bands that are not really under-rated.

Kraftwerk (not a fan - sorry, but they certainly are one of the pioneers in electronic music) reminds me that Tangerine Dream should also be listed.

Good calls on Brian Eno and Taj Mahal.

"Breakfast in America" is one of the most successful and beloved albums in all of rock history. It went on to sell over 20 million copies and still selling today. The album hit #1 in almost every country around the world & stayed at the top of the charts in many countries for a full year.

I was kidding #ThetaChi

A few I remember were quite good:

Soundgarden
Candlebox
TalkTalk
Montrose (before Van Halen, there was Montrose)
L.A. Guns (hidden in the shadow of G'N'R)

I like BS&T a ton, which is saying a lot because I'm not really partial to jazz-influenced rock (like Chicago) as much.

Another band of the era I think is SERIOUSLY underrated is The Guess Who. That's another one that doesn't maybe have the depth of catalog of the all time greats, but their top 5-6 songs stacks up with the best of anyone out there.

Now that's a pull. Even I wouldn't be able to name another song besides Hitching a Ride.

I do think of them from time to time because I keep a mental list of bands of that era that used misspellings in their name, and their on it.

Reactions: noleology
UFO. I always like them with Michael Schenker on guitar. Dude could rock.

They were the warmup band for a lot of stadium tours in the 70's-80's. Saw them a couple of times At A Warehouse in New Orleans back in the day as headliner.

Now there's a venue for ya... At A Warehouse. "Fillmore South"

Last edited:
Reactions: TarponSpringsNole

I agree somewhat with you. I think it should be either completely forgotten masters or one hit wonders who SHOULD have had more than one hot but not entirely obscure local acts no one has heard of before.

That's why I said Toadies and Arthur Crudup. The Toadies were just one and half hit wonders but plenty of others stole "their sound" without accreditation just like Soul Coughing.

And Arthur Crudup...he was playing rock and roll in the 40s a decade before anyone called it such. It may sound antiquated by today's standards and maybe only current and former musicians can appreciate the fact he was the one that shaped and created rock but he influenced all of the 50's rockers. Just listen to his song from 1946 that was stolen...err copied by Elvis in 1954.

I like BS&T a ton, which is saying a lot because I'm not really partial to jazz-influenced rock (like Chicago) as much.

Another band of the era I think is SERIOUSLY underrated is The Guess Who. That's another one that doesn't maybe have the depth of catalog of the all time greats, but their top 5-6 songs stacks up with the best of anyone out there.
Bachman Turner Overdrive too.

Peter Gabriel - (Here comes the Flood and Mercy Street - just two of his many awesome songs)

ELO - rock and roll electric violins combined with great lyrics and composition - down a band member after he was killed by a hay bail that fell on him.

"Mike Edwards, 62, was a former cellist with the 1970s ELO band, and was killed in September 2010 when the bale rolled down the grass field, through a wire fence and thin hedge into the path of his van as he drove along a busy A road in Devon."

Reactions: NY_22_Nole

I am surprised that you didn't care much for Chicago, who, in Terry Kath, may have had one of the best guitar players of the era (at least according to Jimi Hendrix). I agree with the Guess Who, a number of great songs and very under appreciated.

As above, I remember going to Disney Grad night and KC and the Sunshine Band were there, I told a friend of mine that KC and the Band were going nowhere. Apparently I know nothing about music, as by the next year KC and his band were huge hits. Love the Cars as well, but during the heyday of KC and Cars, they were widely respected and huge hit makers (much like B,S & T).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT