ADVERTISEMENT

Who was your favorite Pro Wrestler growing up( that was not a star)?

Jerry Lawler, Dusty Rhoades. That mountain from the McDonald's video was pretty solid.

Reactions: LesClaypool
Wasn’t a big pro wrestling fan.

However, if you are a fan of Disco Inferno, he now works at Sapphire in Vegas. He goes by Disco. He is the door guy.

They used to have wrestling down here in the Panhandle out of Dothan I think. I remember this wrestler called Lord Humongous.

I guess it would be the Von Erichs - I'm not sure any of them were ever stars outside of Texas. They were a big deal around the Dallas area growing up.
I used to watch that circuit on TV as a kid, and those guys were huge in Texas.

Barry Windham (AKA Black Jack Mulligan Jr., AKA The Dirty Yellow Dog). Favorite total non-star would be Tony Garea (from Aukland, NZ) from the pre-hoopla WWF days.
He was huge in Florida Championship wrestling. I was a big fan back in the day.

Reactions: Bud Fox and MIKE_G
He might be considered a superstar but Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase was my second favorite wrestler next to Hogan.

Also, Tito Santana I always liked.

My faves that were stars as a rugrat were A-List Dusty Rhodes, Macho Man and Hulk Hogan. My favorite B-Listers were Hacksaw Jim Duggan, Ricky the Dragon Steamboat and Koko B Ware.

51Ht0G9xYyL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

The Von Erichs and The Freebirds imo is the greatest wrestling feud of all time. And I watched it all on cable in upstate New York. World Class was way ahead of most of the nation in syndicating to other parts of the nation.

My other faves were:

Ice Man King Parsons
Bruiser Brody
Rick Rude
The Great Kabuki
The Missing Link

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Chief Wahoo McDaniel. There were few in the business who were legitimately tougher than him. In the mid-'80s I was at the matches at Spartan Sports Center in Tampa and Wahoo was facing Abdullah the Butcher. Very little of the match was actually in the ring.

Abdullah was another great one. He would go from one territory to another and terrorize the local babyfaces. I went to his restaurant in Atlanta and got to meet him and talk to him for a little while. Super nice guy.

Bruiser Brody. He left us too soon because he was stabbed to death by Invader 1 in Puerto Rico.

I was spoiled as a young rasslin fan because growing up in Tampa I got to see a lot of Championship Wrestling from Florida. After we got cable I watched rasslin from the Mid-Atlantic, World Class, Georgia Championship Wrestling, Mid-South/UWF and AWA. I'm not going to list the WWF/WWE because they pushed Georgia Championship Wrestling off WTBS in '84 and I got tired of Hulk Hogan's act by the time I was a Senior in high school.

I liked Johnny B Badd when he rassled under that persona, not as much when he became Mark Mero.

Remember Kendo Nagasaki? I remember I was a kid and we were waiting outside the WPB Auditorium for autographs and Barry Windham and some others rolled out in their car drinking beer and smoking cigs. They said they had to take one of the wrestlers to get his eyes checked because Kendo blew that mysterious green mist in one of their eyes :Face with Tears of Joy

Reactions: mjpwooo and MIKE_G
The Brisco Brothers
Joe Le Duc

SeaPA, are you from Tampa? I used to run into the Brisco brothers and Joe Le Duc (The Canadian Freight Train) frequently when I lived in that neck of the woods. Both the Briscos and Le Duc were among my favorites growing up.

Last edited:
Tony Atlas and Kevin Sullivan as a tag team duo. Later Sullivan went bad and made an excellent heal.
I loved that tag team and like Sullivan better in that role than as the heal devil worshiper

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT