ADVERTISEMENT

Why can't airplanes be just a couple feet wider?

Formerly Rockymtnole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Feb 9, 2013
A few extra inches seat width would make all the difference in the world. People aren't getting smaller, that's for sure.

I'm so insanely thankful to be thin. Sometimes exit row, 'economy plus', and bulkhead seats are pretty much like first class seats for me.

The seat width I usually have no issue with. It's the leg room or lack there of that really stinks. At 6'3' with a 36" inseam my knees usually are withing an inch or two of the seat in front of me in the full upright position.

Reactions: DrewDaGreat
The solution isn't to make things bigger, the solution is for the fat * to lose weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
great-john-toilet-seat.jpg

Posted this from window seat as the big middle seat guy was wedged into his seat. He fell asleep with his arm taking up the entire arm rest. I pushed back for awhile but got tired of the skin to skin contact so finally just woke him up and said I don't mind sharing but get your arm on your own side.

Why can't Americans be a couple inches thinner? Airplane seats aren't getting bigger, that's for sure.
Yep. Nobody is going on "shark tank" anytime soon and convincing Mark Cuban to invest in your new line of wider-seat airliners. I could start selling wider seat airplanes tomorrow and the airlines wouldn't buy them. For coach seating they aren't willing to drop their profit margin.

I guess Southwest or somebody could go in next week and start gradually ripping out all their coach seating, and converting planes from 6 seats to a row to 5 seats to a row. IF they thought they could sell people the idea of paying more for comfortable seating. But I doubt enough people are inconvenienced enough to pay for the difference.

Yep. Nobody is going on "shark tank" anytime soon and convincing Mark Cuban to invest in your new line of wider-seat airliners. I could start selling wider seat airplanes tomorrow and the airlines wouldn't buy them. For coach seating they aren't willing to drop their profit margin.

I guess Southwest or somebody could go in next week and start gradually ripping out all their coach seating, and converting planes from 6 seats to a row to 5 seats to a row. IF they thought they could sell people the idea of paying more for comfortable seating. But I doubt enough people are inconvenienced enough to pay for the difference.
My idea is wider planes, not just wider seats.
Shark Tank, here I come!

Reactions: Spearchucker87
Posted this from window seat as the big middle seat guy was wedged into his seat. He fell asleep with his arm taking up the entire arm rest. I pushed back for awhile but got tired of the skin to skin contact so finally just woke him up and said I don't mind sharing but get your arm on your own side.
Dang! Hope the next leg of your flying is better. I would hate having to do that, but probably would've eventually done the same thing.

In the old days, people took showers, got dressed up, and looked their best when flying. Today, people could care less, and are just flat nasty. Plus, they never clean or disinfect the planes.....just immediate turn-around for the next (late) connection. The nastiness of airplanes is right up there with the skankiest Motel 6 you can imagine.

Reactions: Semiologist
In the old days, people took showers, got dressed up, and looked their best when flying. Today, people could care less, and are just flat nasty. Plus, they never clean or disinfect the planes.....just immediate turn-around for the next (late) connection. The nastiness of airplanes is right up there with the skankiest Motel 6 you can imagine.
It's good to know they do care some.

what if there were separate rows for fats and thins. that way thins wouldn't be unduly inconvenienced by the feeling of blubbery human flesh invading their personal space.

This summer my kids and I took a weekday morning flight from Madrid to Paris on Vueling (discount airline). As we stood in line waiting to board, I realized what slobs we were. Everybody was dressed nice, and nobody wore shorts except my kids. My 15 year old had gym shorts, a tshirt and those slides/shower shoes. I really was embarrassed, and had I known we all would have dressed nicer.

On another note, Europeans are not fat, especially Spaniards. There were so many good looking women there especially the Basque. They don't have Mcdonalds on every corner.

On a second note, if you don't like the seat in front of you reclining, fly Frontier. The seats don't recline. Very close together unless you upgrade. The seats are also only about 1" thick...just a plastic shell with a little padding. It was great for a $71 round trip one hour flight to Atlanta though.

This summer my kids and I took a weekday morning flight from Madrid to Paris on Vueling (discount airline). As we stood in line waiting to board, I realized what slobs we were. Everybody was dressed nice, and nobody wore shorts except my kids. My 15 year old had gym shorts, a tshirt and those slides/shower shoes. I really was embarrassed, and had I known we all would have dressed nicer.

On another note, Europeans are not fat, especially Spaniards. There were so many good looking women there especially the Basque. They don't have Mcdonalds on every corner.

On a second note, if you don't like the seat in front of you reclining, fly Frontier. The seats don't recline. Very close together unless you upgrade. The seats are also only about 1" thick...just a plastic shell with a little padding. It was great for a $71 round trip one hour flight to Atlanta though.
So, did y'all " slob down" for that flight, or is it kinda how you roll/fly?
Just trying to gather some data, no biggy.

If only most airlines sold seats that have more leg room and wider seats to give you the option.

I don't think the Economy Comfort seats are wider though, are they? Definitely more legroom, but I'm pretty sure they're the same width, no?

All they have to do is use a pay for what you need system and it would solve the problem. If you are over 200 pounds they should require you to purchase a bigger seat. I'm tired of the fat asses taking up their seat and part of the seat I paid for.

All they have to do is use a pay for what you need system and it would solve the problem. If you are over 200 pounds they should require you to purchase a bigger seat. I'm tired of the fat asses taking up their seat and part of the seat I paid for.
So everyone over 200#'s is a fat ass? Is that what you're implying runt?

So everyone over 200#'s is a fat ass? Is that what you're implying runt?

No, there is certainly a healthy group 200+ pounds. I never sat by a healthy one though. It's always the 5 foot zero woman coming in at a deuce and a half that I end up next to who automatically asks for the seat belt extender on the way on the plane.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT