ADVERTISEMENT

Why would you elect to receive first in OT

Spearhead04

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
If both teams are guaranteed a possession? Feels like a brain fart on epic proportions for the niners.

They end up settling for a field goal and losing instead of knowing they needed to go for it.

My guess is it was just habit, and Shanahan didn't think through the new postseason OT rules.

Reactions: QuaZ2002
My guess is it was just habit, and Shanahan didn't think through the new postseason OT rules.
Probably true, though not a good look for the coach if that's the case. He could have also been looking to get his defense some rest, having just been on the field. I think it's dumb to have different OT rules for the SB than they have in the regular season.

Probably true, though not a good look for the coach if that's the case. He could have also been looking to get his defense some rest, having just been on the field. I think it's dumb to have different OT rules for the SB than they have in the regular season.
Think your idea about resting the defense could be on point... Even if KS himself had a brain fart, it's hard to believe that no one else on the staff spoke up.

Reactions: kingpin_22
I didn't get that call either. Even the announcers said it was like giving KC an extra down to play with. I guess the thought process could be to score a TD and put pressure on them but if you only get a FG its a different game. I think I would have went on D first.

The best justification for choosing to receive in OT seems to be that, if both teams score the same amount on their respective first possessions, you would get the ball back first on the next possession to play for the win. The team with the second possession definitely had a huge advantage in playcalling, though, knowing everything was four-down territory (until they were in fieldgoal range, when there would have been more calculus to the decision-making).

Reactions: QuaZ2002
Reactions: Seaker42
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT