ADVERTISEMENT

Will 2021 be better than 2017?

BigCleat42

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Aug 4, 2015
I have seen some folks compare this roster to our 2013 and 2014 teams saying that not any of the current players would start on those teams. While that may be accurate, to me that’s not really a fair comparison at this point. That’s akin to saying none of our current players would start at Alabama. How about compare it to say our 2017 team that went 7-6. Sure we don’t have any freaks like Cam Akers, Brian Burns, or Derwin James, but we have a lot of other positions that are the equivalent or perhaps even better than 2017.

Makenzie Milton or Jordan Travis is likely better than Deondre Francois or James Blackman..

Again there is no Cam Akers. However Lawrence Toafili, DJ Williams, Treshaun Ward and Jashaun Corbin is likely on par or better than the stable of Jacques Patrick, Ryan Green, Mario Pender, Amir Rasul.

Andrew Parchment is potentially at an Auden Tate level. Would be awesome if he had that type of season.

My guess is that Malik McClain, Destyn Hill and Bryan Robinson is better than George Campbell, Keith Gavin and Ermon Lane.

Ontaria Wilson and Keyshawn Helton are about as good as DJ Matthews and Nyqwan Murray

Cam McDonald is likely on par with Ryan Izzo. A freshman Jackson West might be as good as a freshman Tre McKitty.

Expect that the 2021 OL to be better than our 2017 line. That line was atrocious and the beginning of a really horrible run for us.

Jermaine Johnson, Quashon Fuller and Derrick McClendon is likely on par with Josh Sweat, Jacob Pugh, and Josh Kaindoh. I wouldn’t be surprised if Johnson is the best of the entire group.

Robert Cooper, Dennis Briggs, Fabian Lovett, Keir Thomas are comparable to Derrick Nnadi, Fred Jones, Wally Aime, and Demarcus Christmas.

Amari Gainer, Stephen Dix, DJ Lundy is probably a push with Matthew Thomas, Roderick Hoskins and Dontavious Jackson. A healthy Emmett Rice could boost 2021 as well.

Jarrian Jones, Jarvis Brownlee, Brandon Moore, and Kevin Knowles I believe can be as good or better than Levonta Taylor, Kyle Meyers, Tavarus McFadden, Stanford Samuels.

Travis Jay, Brendan Gant, Jammie Robinson and Sidney Williams is on par with Hamsah Nasildereen, Trey Marshall, AJ Westbrook and Nate Andrews.

I didn’t even add in guys like Chubba Purdy, Tate Rodemaker, Kentron Poitier, Jordan Wilson, Koby Gross, Jakhi Douglas, Corey Wren, Josh Burrell, Jordan Young, Darion Williamson, Malcom Ray, TJ Davis, Tru Thompson, Shambre Jackson, Josh Farmer, Jarrett Jackson, Kalen DeLoach, Leonard Warner, Jayion McCluster, Jaleel McCrae, Akeem Dent, Renardo Green, Meiko Dotson, Jarques McClellion, Demorie Tate or Jadarius Greeen McKnight. Some of them might make a big impact this year as well.

I really don’t see any reason why the 2021 team can’t be as good or better than 2017, especially when you consider the dysfunction with Jimbo that team endured. No reason to think we can’t get to 7 or more wins this year. That would be showing significant progress based on the last 3 years and give the program the momentum it desperately needs.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News