ADVERTISEMENT

Woman files complaint over "fat shaming" on Universal ride

Formerly Rockymtnole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Feb 9, 2013
Oh brother...

A woman who claims staff at Universal’s Islands of Adventure “humiliated” her by refusing to accommodate her size has filed a discriminationcomplaint with the Florida Commission on Human Relations, WFTV reports.

Angel Morales singled out the Orlando amusement park’s Skull Island: Reign of Kong ride, which she was unable to enjoy because employees allegedly declined her request to make room by having one fewer persons in her row. She said a worker on the ride told her they needed to “push for capacity.”

“It’s somewhat humiliating to have to ask for an accommodation because of one’s weight — that you have to put yourself out there and kind of beg to be able to ride and embarrass yourself because of weight,” Morales said.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/wom...iling-discrimination-complaint-141517222.html

Too bad for her, its not like we are short shaming people who are on the short end adn cannot ride for safety reasons. Get over yourself and realize when you live on the 1% of the end of the spectrum, you are an exception to many rules. The world isn't set up to account for everyone. Judging by the picture of her shoulders and upper chest, she is a soft 250+.

Sidenote - Linked in your article is another article about 3 tourists kicked off of Macchu Pichu for mooning in their photos.

1) Woohoo, they are not Americans.
2) What an awesome place, everyone should go and marvel at how these early people built on the top of a mtn. Its incredible.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
“It’s somewhat humiliating to have to ask for an accommodation because of one’s weight — that you have to put yourself out there and kind of beg to be able to ride and embarrass yourself because of weight,” Morales said.
I don’t like hearing that it was only somewhat humiliating. We need to fully humiliate and embarrass fats as much as possible. Maybe it will help motivate them to do something about it.

Reactions: F4Gary
Too bad for her, its not like we are short shaming people who are on the short end adn cannot ride for safety reasons.
Conversely, I've come to grips with the fact that there are many of the "hanging" roller coasters that I can't ride because the harness won't come down over me far enough to click into place because of my height/big thick shoulders/whatever. I can do the sit-in coasters just fine, but those hanging coasters are off-limits to me - which sucks, because it seems that's what most of the newer, better coasters are now.

Conversely, I've come to grips with the fact that there are many of the "hanging" roller coasters that I can't ride because the harness won't come down over me far enough to click into place because of my height/big thick shoulders/whatever. I can do the sit-in coasters just fine, but those hanging coasters are off-limits to me - which sucks, because it seems that's what most of the newer, better coasters are now.
I never gave it a thought before, but how could we expect everybody to fit in one size of those hanging type coasters?
As someone earlier posted, my daughter was too short one year when we traveled to a bunch of parks. The next year she made all of the attendants check her height to prove she could get on the ride. Our kids were fearless and totally loved hitting those rides.

I normally don't side with the gravity challenged on these things, but it seems her request wasn't unreasonable at all and her size didn't cause any issues other than the ride simply being one rider short of full capacity.

I think large airline passengers should pay for two tickets and if this was a ride that was paid for individually she should have done the same. I don't think they should have excluded her in this case or charged her extra though. The ride had bench seating and no safety bar. Having her take two seats would have caused no issue at all.

@Hayduke GW wants to find ways for society to humiliate you for your size.

Is that you Bushido?

And you're capable of making that determination? What about those who are so skinny their skeletons show?
They get to go on the ride!

If you want to be a fighter pilot, you have to meet a minimum and maximum height and a maximum weight otherwise you will be hauling rubber dog crap from China.

Last edited:
Reactions: nynole1
FSU will never have this problem. It allows 300+ pounders to occupy their 14” Doak seat (and the 1-2 next to that one).

I feel sorry for people who are that big. I know it creates issues for them, and they probably don’t want to be that large. But I also don’t want their issue to become my issue. If you are occupying 2 seats, you should probably pay for them. You shouldn’t get mine for free, and then push me into the next innocent guy’s space.

Should have told her they named the ride after her....bottom line, she could ride it, just not alone. Suck it up buttercup, I have to sit sideways on every flight I take because the seats are too damn narrow. I don’t get my own because my shoulder is nailed every time the sky waitress goes by.

Should have told her they named the ride after her....bottom line, she could ride it, just not alone. Suck it up buttercup, I have to sit sideways on every flight I take because the seats are too damn narrow. I don’t get my own because my shoulder is nailed every time the sky waitress goes by.

+2 for sky waitress.

So she's suing because the park wouldn't make an exception for her, in exclusion of every other paying patron who ever enters Universal, because she will not try to expend more calories in a day than she consumes, causing her to have a body mass that exceeds the standards of "normal"? She gonna sue somewhere like Golden Corral next for being party to her excessive size?

Regardless of whether you agree with the policy or actions of the employees, the claim of "fat-shaming" is tenuous. She's the one who initiated the interaction. She could have gotten on the ride as-is or walked away.

Angel Morales singled out the Orlando amusement park’s Skull Island: Reign of Kong ride, which she was unable to enjoy because employees allegedly declined her request to make room by having one fewer persons in her row.

I'm guessing the worker told her she couldn't take up 2 seats to have a separate seat to bring along a stack of funnel cakes to eat on the ride.

The place where I zip line has a 250# weight limit, which doesn't seem like all that much to me. They have a scale like is found at some grocery store entrances. One time management quietly led a woman away to speak with her. Apparently she didn't believe she was over 250# so she stepped on the scale and she was over 290#. She started crying loudly because she couldn't zipline with her friends, and on and on.

Circumstances are different because excessive weight can be a problem for several reasons besides the strength of the cables.

Excessive weight should not be a "protected class". While there are medical reasons why a few people can't control their weight, most of the time being overweight is nothing more than consuming more calories than are burned off.

I don’t like hearing that it was only somewhat humiliating. We need to fully humiliate and embarrass fats as much as possible. Maybe it will help motivate them to do something about it.

Sincerely
Sgt. Rudy 'Fruity Rudy' Reyes

We are turning into a nation of fat people with no self control and no motivation. The people with genetic issues are the rare exception and not the rule. Stop eating and drinking junk and do some type of physical activity.

WALL-E-382.jpg

walle-socialnetwork05.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT