ADVERTISEMENT

Woman in UFC

Fijimn

Veteran Seminole Insider
May 7, 2008
So, basically, the Fertittas' and Dana White went from "there will never be women fighting in the UFC," to "holy schnicky these chicks generate huge revenue, we are going to stick Rousy into a match every 4 months (She's fighting again in January)" It's all about the Benjamins.

As an aside, did GSP retire?

I am curious to see how strong the demand for women fights will be when Rousey finally loses. My guess is parody would end the popularity. This niche still needs the dominant figure to gather viewers.

I am curious to see how strong the demand for women fights will be when Rousey finally loses. My guess is parody would end the popularity. This niche still needs the dominant figure to gather viewers.

Well that's true of both boxing and MMA in general. When there's parity in the sport or in a particular weight class, the hardcores are ecstatic and scream "why won't people pay attention" while the fairweather/casual fans just yawn as there's too many people to watch. But when there's a dominant figure crushing cans left and right, that's when the casuals pony up to PPVs in large numbers.

I disagree. I look at it the other way. Once the fans figure out Rousey has no competition womens fights will lose interest without another main event bout on the card.

So, basically, the Fertittas' and Dana White went from "there will never be women fighting in the UFC," to "holy schnicky these chicks generate huge revenue, we are going to stick Rousy into a match every 4 months (She's fighting again in January)" It's all about the Benjamins.

Yes he did retire but left the door open for a possible return. My favorite fighter but hope he doesn't come back if he isn't near the top of his game.

With all due respect, people gripe when the champions only fight a couple times a year and apparently gripe when they fight more. She has fought less than an actual round her last few fights combined. She is easy on the eyes,dominates her opponents and is currently the most or 2nd most popular fighter in the UFC. Why wouldn't they ask her to fight? Fighting 3x a year really isn't that much for an injury-free UFC fighter. I do believe she is far superior than any women fighter other than possibly Cyborg so they better get what they can out of her. Holly Holm, her next opponent, was brought in as a possible threat to Rousey. Holm though, has looked less than impressive in her first couple UFC fights. Personally, I thought they would give Holm another fight or 2 to sharpen her ground skills, as she is a boxer. I look for Rousey to win easily.
As far a White and the Fertittas, yes they said that, mostly Dana being the mouthpiece but he spews a lot of crap. He was pretty adamant about it as well.

I disagree. I look at it the other way. Once the fans figure out Rousey has no competition womens fights will lose interest without another main event bout on the card.

She'll retire to Hollywood full-time well before the fans lose interest in her fights.

Yes he did retire but left the door open for a possible return. My favorite fighter but hope he doesn't come back if he isn't near the top of his game.

Some rumors that he'll be back for the UFC 200 card in July, for what it's worth.

And his "retirement" was made partially to push advanced drug testing in the UFC, and it seems to have worked well, with USADA taking over starting October 1st.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT