ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Softball

Will be interesting what the polls do after this weekend. Top 3 stay the same but then what? Expect OSU, Northwertern and Washington to drop and ASU/Duke move up but how far?

Reactions: Noles61
Coacha is working on developing her prayers, did you see all the substitutes? She understands they have to get opportunities. Wilson did better her last two outings, yes is a work in process.

She stated earlier she would be happy getting 1 or two innings out of Wilson or Enter.

Win games and get players experience. I like it
I understand that for the present, and to best prepare for a serious run at a national championship, getting everyone some significant time is important and I am okay with that. My disagreement is in her recruitment (or lack thereof) of top rated pitchers to not only play at this level, but be something besides a project when they arrive. Why aren't we getting those?

Reactions: FletchCC
She does not want true freshman to pitch. Next season she has Sandercock and Leonard returning. Can also pick up a transfer pitcher in portal. Remember Watson was used sparingly last season.

I understand that for the present, and to best prepare for a serious run at a national championship, getting everyone some significant time is important and I am okay with that. My disagreement is in her recruitment (or lack thereof) of top rated pitchers to not only play at this level, but be something besides a project when they arrive. Why aren't we getting those?
We are on the same page 43.
My hope is that next year a couple of things happen.
1. One of the incoming freshmen pitchers is ready day 1 similar to Lemley at VT, Cagle last year at CU and Bahl at OU.
2. Maybe the RS DuBois will be ready for this level!
3. I'm hoping for 3 key transfers. One is ready made plug and play CFer who is both competent at the plate and in the field. Two a plug and play IFer to replace Sherrill. It could be that they swith Flaherty to 3rd in which case she can replace Devyn. Lastly a stud pitching transfer.
Should the above happen, then next year could also be special!

Reactions: ranger43
She does not want true freshman to pitch. Next season she has Sandercock and Leonard returning. Can also pick up a transfer pitcher in portal. Remember Watson was used sparingly last season.
As a hitter, Leonard was a great pick up. As a pitcher only OK! She was the 2nd best pitcher on her squad at Illinois freaking state. Their top pitcher went to OkSt.
Whether it's high school or a transfer, we need a stud, not a project!

• Love
It is odd that 3 of the 5 losses were to the 3 teams that finished at the bottom of the ACC standings. 1 of Pitt’s 2 wins. In total, 3 of the 14 total conference wins for those teams. Crazy to think about that when you consider that they went undefeated against everyone else except for VT.

Shows we play to our competition. Nothing more; nothing less.
No it does not, by your definition they would have lost some games to mid level teams as they would have played to their mid level team opposition and lost some games, this team has gone 30-0 against an insane non conference schedule and lost only 5 out of 54 games and it seems like this board just wants to be critical

Anyone at the Pitt and BC games knows that the Pitching staff game up 3 HR's in Pitt game on mistakes trying to learn new pitches, and in BC game they were shut out by an off speed pitcher but when they did hit it was right at the defense. Cudoes to Pitt and BC, it happens.

VT series was 2 inches higher for Flaherty's walk off home run that wound up a double.

Dadgum proud of these ladies.

I don’t know of any fans not extremely proud of these ladies. I thought coming into the season we had the potential to be better than last last year - and we are in many ways. But what I (and others) questioned was how our pitching would perform.

Oklahoma replaced studs with studs and brought in pitchers that make their staff even better than last year. We did not improve in that area as much as they did and many of us just question why that is.

Kat won’t be around forever and when she has a bad game - we are susceptible. Virginia Tech I believe (due to their overall pitching, as well as hitting this year) is capable of beating Oklahoma. So are we, but in a one game series as I see it.

But that’s why they play the games. I have attended almost all games this year and will be in Pittsburgh as well. I can’t wait!!

Yes if we don’t get a great pitcher and 3B that can hit we will be in trouble. After our top six hitters we have a dramatically drop off. I haven’t seen anybody off the bench that could hit a lick. I just don’t understand why we can’t recruit a top pitcher. We are a top three program.

We are on the same page 43.
My hope is that next year a couple of things happen.
1. One of the incoming freshmen pitchers is ready day 1 similar to Lemley at VT, Cagle last year at CU and Bahl at OU.
2. Maybe the RS DuBois will be ready for this level!
3. I'm hoping for 3 key transfers. One is ready made plug and play CFer who is both competent at the plate and in the field. Two a plug and play IFer to replace Sherrill. It could be that they swith Flaherty to 3rd in which case she can replace Devyn. Lastly a stud pitching transfer.
Should the above happen, then next year could also be special!
As most of you know I have been on this bandwagon for years. There is just no reason we should not be able to get a top 10 pitcher every year. We have the best coach , one of the best conferences and an actual top 5 program every year. We have an unequaled culture , we put resources into the program and our players are well regarded for their skill and acumen as well as fine representatives of the University.
We just have not payed enough attention to the recruits who are near us and are top 10 pitchers. This year is a prime example. We got 2 pitchers (1 from Oregon, 1 from-- GEEZ-- New York). There were and are multiple top 10 pitchers who are around us. I am not saying these 2 do not have credentials -- they do-- but they are not rated top 10 and will need to develop --JMHO.

I have stated before some of our current issue is the old rules versus the new rules. The old rules allowed recruits to be offered real young (14). We often did not do that with pitchers as we wanted to see how they progressed-- unfortunately many of the top 10 were committed elsewhere by the time they were juniors. Fast forward to now where we can offer the August of the Junior year (I believe)-- Now we are no longer chasing but we still need to show some early love to some of these recruits. We have had some of the top rated 2023 and 2024 pitching recruits at camps and we will see--- (Danley --2023-- is actually a Max Preps top 10). We are now looking at the ones in my mind who are top 10 and available -- some of the 2024 class are lights out prospects and we are taking a look at them--- we will see come August if we offer.
Unfortunately this means we are currently at a crossroads- we have no developed freshman pitchers to take the mantle and we need to get someone in here ASAP who can fill this gap. A top shut down pitcher (can be a 2-3 year player and a 3-4 year type who we can rely on for outs). As others have stated we need a top prospect for CF and a 3rd prospect who has experience and can bomb. Maybe players like Riggs and or Wacaser (both highly thought of prospects from HS) can take a spot and Hartley was recruited to play 3rd so that may be the plan. To recap this long diatribe this is a major gap year for us in relation to transfers- my belief is if we fill some spots we will advance and if not we will have to rely on what we have. Between now and November will be critical to our future. JMHO

Last edited:
ASU jump caused by everyone in front of them lost games to unranked teams except OSU who lost 3 times to OU. What is astonishing is Alabama lost to Western Kentucky and hardly moved down because the rest also lost.

VT,, FSU, Duke will only have 1 more loss at most. Both VT and FSU should stay in top 5 if they both make it to the Champ Game and then 1 loses. Duke needs to win first two games to host a Super but I am sure they will find a way to keep at least 2 SEC teams and wish they get a third.

Super Regional Hosts are looking more like Big 12 gets OU as host; the ACC gets VT and FSU as hosts; Pac 12 will get UCLA and ASU/Washington winner (play each other this weekend); SEC gets Arkansas and Alabama (Tenn is Bama loses early and UT wins SEC tournament); leaving the 8th and last Super host to come from a third ACC team Duke) or B1G Northwestern or or if those two tank early SEC Tennessee or PAC 12 third team Washington//ASU loser.

With Pitt field have 200 Ft fences all the way around, there will be a lot of potential teams hitting HR's all week. Means defense and pitching is even more important. Heck the ACC tournament might look like everyone is Oklahoma this week.

Going out on a limp, barring any major upsets, Picks in BOLD.

#1 Oklahoma total lock
#2 VT/FSU that goes furthest in ACC tournament (winner)
#3 Arkansas/Alabama that goes furthers in SEC tournament (winner)
#4 VT/FSU not at #2
#5 ASU/UCLA winner of most games (ASU if same # wins)
#6 Arkansas/Alabama not # 3
#7 ASU/UCLA/Washington
#8 Northwestern (to include B1G) or Duke/Tennessee

Nice picks!
If FSU and VT make the ACCCG, I don't think either drops other than possibly switching places, although I would love for VT To lose and drop to a 4 based on your bracket.
They are a team that could beat OU w/o it being a huge upset IMO.

ASU jump caused by everyone in front of them lost games to unranked teams except OSU who lost 3 times to OU. What is astonishing is Alabama lost to Western Kentucky and hardly moved down because the rest also lost.

VT,, FSU, Duke will only have 1 more loss at most. Both VT and FSU should stay in top 5 if they both make it to the Champ Game and then 1 loses. Duke needs to win first two games to host a Super but I am sure they will find a way to keep at least 2 SEC teams and wish they get a third.

Super Regional Hosts are looking more like Big 12 gets OU as host; the ACC gets VT and FSU as hosts; Pac 12 will get UCLA and ASU/Washington winner (play each other this weekend); SEC gets Arkansas and Alabama (Tenn is Bama loses early and UT wins SEC tournament); leaving the 8th and last Super host to come from a third ACC team Duke) or B1G Northwestern or or if those two tank early SEC Tennessee or PAC 12 third team Washington//ASU loser.

With Pitt field have 200 Ft fences all the way around, there will be a lot of potential teams hitting HR's all week. Means defense and pitching is even more important. Heck the ACC tournament might look like everyone is Oklahoma this week.

Going out on a limp, barring any major upsets, Picks in BOLD.

#1 Oklahoma total lock
#2 VT/FSU that goes furthest in ACC tournament (winner)
#3 Arkansas/Alabama that goes furthers in SEC tournament (winner)
#4 VT/FSU not at #2
#5 ASU/UCLA winner of most games (ASU if same # wins)
#6 Arkansas/Alabama not # 3
#7 ASU/UCLA/Washington
#8 Northwestern (to include B1G) or Duke/Tennessee
I haven't been concerned about the top 8 for some time. What concerns me is who we are matched with for the Regionals and Super. I certainly did not want UF , USF (they have an absolute lock down pitcher who could steal some games) or UCF in our Regional. Everyone could get a top 16 team in the Supers BUT it will all be about matchups.

I haven't been concerned about the top 8 for some time. What concerns me is who we are matched with for the Regionals and Super. I certainly did not want UF , USF (they have an absolute lock down pitcher who could steal some games) or UCF in our Regional. Everyone could get a top 16 team in the Supers BUT it will all be about matchups.
Correct, it is all about the right match-up. We should be fine in the Regionals, but in the Supers we need to be matched with Texas or Kentucky. Same for the WCWS.

To be the team, you have to beat 'the' team.

Matchups are important, expect that FSU will be matched in Supers with an SEC Regional most likely a Kentucky, Florida or Tennessee. The #2 seed in Tallahassee will likely be another SEC team as Auburn, Georgia, or Missouri.

Committee like's regional matchups in different conferences so expect numerous SEC/ACC pairings.

Personally I'd prefer seeding teams without geographic or conference input unless teams are deemed equal (example # 13 & 14) then final seed would be to avoid conferences.

Also once seeded, the 8 Super winners are paired into pools where #1 (or overall highest seed in OKC) plays #25 (or overall lowest seed in OKC), and so on.

Two teams seeded low don't play each other while 2 Super hosts have to play each other. This happened a lot previously. All teams are in OKC, all play the first day so that should not be an issue to reseed teams from highest to lowest.

Reactions: jdogg_20_8
Hate that the committee is so lazy with pairings. We should be a top 5 seed, so we should get top 5 seed treatment. Not this lazy well SEC schools are closer to ACC schools so we will pair them up.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Anyone, anytime, anywhere: except Oklahoma... in Norman... best of three. Oh yeah, the deck is not stacked!

Player of the Week: Sydney Sherrill, Florida State​

The graduate senior caught fire at the plate in FSU’s series sweep of NC State. In the final two games, Sherrill was 5 for 8 with four home runs, five RBIs and five runs scored. She hit three home runs in her first three at-bats of the series finale to become the first FSU player in program history to hit three home runs in a game.

What a fantastic accomplishment for Syd!

Between Jessie Warren and Sydney Sherrill FSU has had third base on total lock-down for the past eight years before that it was Briana Hamilton who did well in the field.

The question is who will be next?
Could see Brooke moved into that role.

Reactions: jgking83
This was a thought I had too.
She could handle it defensively, but we can't afford 2 weak bats in the infield!
Take away Syd's offensive production and we are looking at quite a few more losses and the ability of other teams to pitch around our hitters to get to our non-hitters!

She could handle it defensively, but we can't afford 2 weak bats in the infield!
Take away Syd's offensive production and we are looking at quite a few more losses and the ability of other teams to pitch around our hitters to get to our non-hitters!
If you assume that she won't progress as a hitter, I agree. We'll see how it shakes out.

If you assume that she won't progress as a hitter, I agree. We'll see how it shakes out.
Recruiting sites rated her very highly as an all around player, strong fielding, strong bat. I think she may have been our highest rated recruit in last year’s class. She’s had limited reps due to Muffley’s experience and defensive skills. I’m still optimistic Brooke will be star.

Last edited:
She may very well progress, but 3B has been a key hitter for us with huge RBI production.
A little progress in BA won't get that done IMO.
Again
3 Transfers
1. A CFer with a very good glove and good (doesn't have to be great) bat.
2. An Infielder 2B or 3B with a good glove and bat.
3. A ready to play high level ACC pitcher.

FSU is attractive enough to accomplish that IMO!
It could be that Amaya Ross may progress enough to be one of those, but I wouldn't bet the season on it.

Greetings from Pittsburg.

Can’t wait for tomorrow. We flew up today from Tallahassee and had a great time during our first trip here learning the city.

As an added bonus, we found ourselves at the same hotel as the NC State and Clemson teams. In fact, several of the Clemson girls are rooming across the hall from us. In our comings and goings we have bumped into several of them and had a chance to briefly speak. Over the years we have become acquainted with several of the FSU players away from the field at different functions. They always make us proud. I can say the same applies to these two teams. Every girl we spoke to was a great representative of their university and we enjoyed meeting and chatting with them.

Can’t wait for tomorrow. We flew up today from Tallahassee and had a great time during our first trip here learning the city.

As an added bonus, we found ourselves at the same hotel as the NC State and Clemson teams. In fact, several of the Clemson girls are rooming across the hall from us. In our comings and goings we have bumped into several of them and had a chance to briefly speak. Over the years we have become acquainted with several of the FSU players away from the field at different functions. They always make us proud. I can say the same applies to these two teams. Every girl we spoke to was a great representative of their university and we enjoyed meeting and chatting with them.
Hope you enjoy PittsburgH...as a proud Pennsylvanian, it is with an H. One of the few burgs spelled that way.

That's terrific - congratulations!

Reactions: Noles61

I'm a bit jealous. Thank you for repping us in Pittsburg. Enjoy your time...and as always....

GO NOLES!!

ADVERTISEMENT