ADVERTISEMENT

World Cup thread

I see that Croatia beat Brazil. I am bummed.

I will have to "what's app" to Brazil to get their take on it.

I see that Croatia beat Brazil. I am bummed.

I will have to "what's app" to Brazil to get their take on it.
Neymar scored to put Brazil ahead in the first extra time period...But then in the second, Brazil was slow getting back on a counter, allowing an easy goal to send the game to PKs where Croatia prevailed.

Anyone else thinking about a possible rematch of the infamous 1986 "Hand of God" game with an England/Argentina final??

• Wow
Reactions: seminoleed
Neymar scored to put Brazil ahead in the first extra time period...But then in the second, Brazil was slow getting back on a counter, allowing an easy goal to send the game to PKs where Croatia prevailed.
Thanks for that. I cut cable this year, and was unable to watch the WC at home. I still haven't figured the whole thing out. I guess I really need to do the numbers on all that I really like to watch. I'm too spoiled from my past life, and figuring out how to do everything the way I like to do things is a challenge.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Could we get Harry Kane to enroll at FSU to be our placekicker?? That was right down the middle!

• Haha
Reactions: seminoleed
I'm reading between the lines in this Reyna story, and based on his response, I'll be surprised if he ever plays for the men's team again--and that may be by HIS choice, not Berhalter's. I think Berhalter may have lost the locker room before the WC even started.

• Sad
I would really like to see a Croatia Morocco final but I think its going to be a repeat of 18. Morocco falls just short.

The semis were real snoozefests, but this final on Sunday sets up to be a classic...PSG on PSG crime. Can't wait!

Reactions: bcherod
I would really like to see a Croatia Morocco final but I think its going to be a repeat of 18. Morocco falls just short.
We get to watch Croatia v. Morocco in about an hour. Unfortunately, in the game few people remember and most of the players (I suspect) don't want to play in.

Well, I've got it on, in Spanish. Not sure who I want to win.

It's one of the hardest things for me to understand in Spanish because they talk so fast, but my brain is adjusting as I drink more coffee.

I wonder if Messi will do a Steve Young-type "Get this monkey off my back!" thing after the game.

**IF Argentina wins, that is....

Last edited:
Reactions: bcherod
This caused me to go back to my first Copa. 1978. I was living in Brazil at the time.

I found a great story that accurately depicts what was going on. Since I was living in Brazil at the time, when I needed to get my visa renewed, I went to Argentina or Uruguay or Paraguay, crossed the border, then went back to Brazil with three more months.

Here's the link for a great story on that Copa.

I'm watching the whole after show, and I thought I'd throw something of interest out there.

Do you know how it is that Argentine players can have a name like Messi or MacAllister? There's a cool story to that.

I'm watching the whole after show, and I thought I'd throw something of interest out there.

Do you know how it is that Argentine players can have a name like Messi or MacAllister? There's a cool story to that.
Not sure about the latter, but I used to work with a guy from Argentina and he said it's full of Italians.

Not sure about the latter, but I used to work with a guy from Argentina and he said it's full of Italians.
That is one of the things. 40% of Argentina is of Italian descent, and the accent they have in Spanish sounds heavily Italian. The ones with the surnames that sound Irish or Scottish are descended from the Irish that built their railroads. Something happened and the Irish appealed to the Irish government, and they wouldn't help, so they went to the British government that helped, so when you meet one of those, they will likely to you they are of English descent because they feel Ireland abondoned them.

And then there's the Germans, some of whom spilled into Argentina from Brazil. (1830's immigration to South America)

There are also a lot of Jews. The government made them name their kids with Christian first names.

When I first went to South America, I expected people to be named in accordance with what My perception of the country was. So they're all supposed to have latin names. I learned ALOT.

They don't teach much about the colonization of S. America in schools.

That is one of the things. 40% of Argentina is of Italian descent, and the accent they have in Spanish sounds heavily Italian. The ones with the surnames that sound Irish or Scottish are descended from the Irish that built their railroads. Something happened and the Irish appealed to the Irish government, and they wouldn't help, so they went to the British government that helped, so when you meet one of those, they will likely to you they are of English descent because they feel Ireland abondoned them.

And then there's the Germans, some of whom spilled into Argentina from Brazil. (1830's immigration to South America)

There are also a lot of Jews. The government made them name their kids with Christian first names.

When I first went to South America, I expected people to be named in accordance with what My perception of the country was. So they're all supposed to have latin names. I learned ALOT.

They don't teach much about the colonization of S. America in schools.
Lots of Germans came after both World Wars too. There's towns in Argentina that speak mostly German.

This caused me to go back to my first Copa. 1978. I was living in Brazil at the time.

I found a great story that accurately depicts what was going on. Since I was living in Brazil at the time, when I needed to get my visa renewed, I went to Argentina or Uruguay or Paraguay, crossed the border, then went back to Brazil with three more months.

Here's the link for a great story on that Copa.

I watched the mini series on FIFA on Netflix. That organization is dirtier than professional cycling. I needed a shower afterwards.

ADVERTISEMENT