ADVERTISEMENT

WSJ: The Rise and Fall of the Chief Diversity Officer

surfnole

Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
Good riddance!

Some excerpts:

Diversity executives hit the exits as company priorities shift; ‘everything is a battle’
Two years ago chief diversity officers were some of the hottest hires into executive ranks. Now, they increasingly feel left out in the cold.

Companies including Netflix, Disney and Warner Bros. Discovery have recently said that high-profile diversity, equity and inclusion executives will be leaving their jobs. Thousands of diversity-focused workers have been laid off since last year, and some companies are scaling back racial justice commitments.

Diversity, equity and inclusion—or DEI—jobs were put in the crosshairs after many companies started re-examining their executive ranks during the tech sector’s shake out last fall. Some chief diversity officers say their work is facing additional scrutiny since the Supreme Court struck down affirmative action in college admissions and companies brace for potential legal challenges. DEI work has also become a political target.

Falling demand​

New analysis from employment data provider Live Data Technologies shows that chief diversity officers have been more vulnerable to layoffs than their human resources counterparts, experiencing 40% higher turnover. Their job searches are also taking longer.

“I got to 300 applications and then I stopped tracking,” says Stephanie Lubin, who was laid off from her role as diversity head at Drizly, an online alcohol marketplace, in May following the company’s acquisition by Uber. In one case, Lubin says she went through 16 rounds of interviews for a role she didn’t get, and says she is now planning to pivot out of DEI work.

The number of CDO searches is down 75% in the past year, says Jason Hanold, chief executive of Hanold Associates Executive Search, which works with Fortune 100 companies to recruit HR and DEI executives, among other roles. Demand is the lowest he has seen in his 30 years of recruiting.

Disney’s governing district in Florida slashes all DEI programs.​

In the ongoing battle between Walt Disney World and Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, Disney’s governing district – whose current board was hand-picked by DeSantis and took control of the district in February – abolished all of its diversity, equity and inclusion programs, the district said in a Tuesday news release.

Reactions: F4Gary
It was all for show to begin with.
This is true. Most corporations put someone in that seat to pretend like they care about living in a decent, fair, or just society.

Now whether corporations should care about living in such a society is a matter of personal opinion. Personally, I won't work for a company is too far removed from my values. No company is perfect, I won't make an absolutist statement, but some companies that don't live up to my view of how we should be treating our planet, fellow people, etc... aren't worth my investment or skills.

This is true. Most corporations put someone in that seat to pretend like they care about living in a decent, fair, or just society.

Now whether corporations should care about living in such a society is a matter of personal opinion. Personally, I won't work for a company is too far removed from my values. No company is perfect, I won't make an absolutist statement, but some companies that don't live up to my view of how we should be treating our planet, fellow people, etc... aren't worth my investment or skills.
That's a noble position but I don't think its very easily applied these days. Most companies ride the fence and sway with the wind direction. Very few have good culture and values (by everyone's standard) these days. I don't see why its better to act like you care rather than being truthful that you don't. Like you said most companies filled the position to act like they cared. If they had good culture and values its not necessary.

Okay. 😏

That's a noble position but I don't think its very easily applied these days. Most companies ride the fence and sway with the wind direction. Very few have good culture and values (by everyone's standard) these days. I don't see why its better to act like you care rather than being truthful that you don't. Like you said most companies filled the position to act like they cared. If they had good culture and values its not necessary.
If a company abides by the law and operates within the law, they also compete in the marketplace with other companies who offer a similar product or service.
Therefore they most likely also compete for employees who have expertise and experience producing those products and services.
How to make sure you’re hiring the best employees? Offer the best working conditions along with competitive wages. Treat employees fairly and recognize merit and ability based on actual performance.
You’re not going to be able to please every employee’s ideas about social or political standards, so you either avoid them altogether or at least avoid certain current trends which can forever put you in a box or mark you as out of touch when the next big trend emerges.

If a company abides by the law and operates within the law, they also compete in the marketplace with other companies who offer a similar product or service.
Therefore they most likely also compete for employees who have expertise and experience producing those products and services.
How to make sure you’re hiring the best employees? Offer the best working conditions along with competitive wages. Treat employees fairly and recognize merit and ability based on actual performance.
You’re not going to be able to please every employee’s ideas about social or political standards, so you either avoid them altogether or at least avoid certain current trends which can forever put you in a box or mark you as out of touch when the next big trend emerges.
Another issue today is that avoiding or not addressing certain issues is viewed as taking a position against. The mob wants you to be on one side or the other or they will place you there. Still if you have a solid culture and values and steer clear of hot topic issues you can stay away from most problems.

Did you ever work for HR for Erin Brockovich? You have a sizzilin take on things for sure. By all means, keep sharing and spreading your pearls of wisdom. The world will be a better place for it. Thank you, kindly. :)

They’re called boobs, Ed.

I know that.
200.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT