ADVERTISEMENT

XBox One question...

Nole Lou

Seminole Insider
Apr 5, 2002
So, my 13 year old just got and Xbox One. I'm not a gaming person, and not all that familiar with the gaming aspects of the consoles.

Looks like there's this thing called EA Pass for $30 a year that gives access to a lot of games. Is that the best deal going?

We're not going to be spending $100/month on new release games, so the best bang for the buck in terms of getting games in his hands is what we're looking for. But we're new to this, I don't want to just say sign up for something for a year and find out a day later there was a better deal or approach.

He's never been much into console gaming, so I don't think we're going to be in a "gotta have it on release day" type of situation often...more about having decent things to play without spending a fortune.

So, my 13 year old just got and Xbox One. I'm not a gaming person, and not all that familiar with the gaming aspects of the consoles.

Looks like there's this thing called EA Pass for $30 a year that gives access to a lot of games. Is that the best deal going?

We're not going to be spending $100/month on new release games, so the best bang for the buck in terms of getting games in his hands is what we're looking for. But we're new to this, I don't want to just say sign up for something for a year and find out a day later there was a better deal or approach.

He's never been much into console gaming, so I don't think we're going to be in a "gotta have it on release day" type of situation often...more about having decent things to play without spending a fortune.

Someone else who actually plays the XBone may come along and give better commentary. I gave up on Xbox products after the debacle of the Xbox 360 where I ended up having to buy three separate systems just to keep playing my games catalogue because they were POSes that kept breaking. The XBone isn't supposed to be nearly as bad as the 360 when it comes to c%*^ manufacturing and constant breakage, but I've been soured on the XBox and Microsoft in general. So at the moment, I'm a PS4 and Nintendo Switch guy along with my Alienware Alpha small profile gaming console in hooked up to my main tv and loaded with emulators and Windows games.

But I did look into EA Access out of curiousity and it's a solid value for $30. Especially when it comes to sports games. So that won't make him the bell of the ball and having friends clamoring to visit "him" as would a nice collection of new top level games, but it's worth $30 a year for someone who has no previous game library.

My kids are are the same. Over the years they have had a PS, Xbox and Xbox1 and none of them have drawn the type of attention one would expect. The interest tends to wane so quickly I am not sure they finish the few games they get with the console and the few more relatives will give them on holidays.

My kids are are the same. Over the years they have had a PS, Xbox and Xbox1 and none of them have drawn the type of attention one would expect. The interest tends to wane so quickly I am not sure they finish the few games they get with the console and the few more relatives will give them on holidays.

What ages and interests?

I would honestly say that if they're under say 14-15 or not a "hardcore gamer" that you likely picked the wrong product. The Nintendo products are far better for people who are younger, less "serious gamer"(i.e. Covered in Cheeto Dust and spilled Mountain Dew while playing hour 16 of some FPS game tournament) and especially for those who own a vagina. Especially now that the Nintendo Switch is out.

I've always been more than a bit of a nerd and enjoy both retro and current gaming. In fact I would guess I put in at least 100 hours if not more in setting up my Launchbox and attached emulators and games to my Alienware Alpha just so I can easily select any game out of thousands while sitting from my couch. And it used to be true that the PlayStation and XBox products were the best for almost everyone over small kids. But honestly, my favorite system even as "an adult" is not my PS4 which is mostly sitting dusty other than me occasionally playing Uncharted 4 and my wife occasionally breaking out Dragon Quest Builders. Instead the most enjoyable system by FAR now unless you're solely into FPS, Madden and MMORPGs, is the Nintendo Switch. Not only the on the go aspect of playing the single best game I've played (Zelda Breath of Life) but mainly the great "party" game features that makes it fun for everyone hanging out. There's already a ton of fantastic "party" games i.e. Games you can easily play with 4-8 people and with non gamers even stodgy and Luddite parents and grandparents such as JackBox, SnipperClips, Fastball RMX, Bomberman, Just Dance (great for girls and young women and hilarious when old geezers like myself join in), and Mario Kart. But soon you'll have Arms and Splatoon 2 which I've already played demos of and are great fun. Honestly, the Switch already tops the Wii for great multiplayer games and it's only been out a few months. It's why I've already purchased Switches for my addiction rehab facilities.

What ages and interests?

I would honestly say that if they're under say 14-15 or not a "hardcore gamer" that you likely picked the wrong product. The Nintendo products are far better for people who are younger, less "serious gamer"(i.e. Covered in Cheeto Dust and spilled Mountain Dew while playing hour 16 of some FPS game tournament) and especially for those who own a vagina. Especially now that the Nintendo Switch is out.

I've always been more than a bit of a nerd and enjoy both retro and current gaming. In fact I would guess I put in at least 100 hours if not more in setting up my Launchbox and attached emulators and games to my Alienware Alpha just so I can easily select any game out of thousands while sitting from my couch. And it used to be true that the PlayStation and XBox products were the best for almost everyone over small kids. But honestly, my favorite system even as "an adult" is not my PS4 which is mostly sitting dusty other than me occasionally playing Uncharted 4 and my wife occasionally breaking out Dragon Quest Builders. Instead the most enjoyable system by FAR now unless you're solely into FPS, Madden and MMORPGs, is the Nintendo Switch. Not only the on the go aspect of playing the single best game I've played (Zelda Breath of Life) but mainly the great "party" game features that makes it fun for everyone hanging out. There's already a ton of fantastic "party" games i.e. Games you can easily play with 4-8 people and with non gamers even stodgy and Luddite parents and grandparents such as JackBox, SnipperClips, Fastball RMX, Bomberman, Just Dance (great for girls and young women and hilarious when old geezers like myself join in), and Mario Kart. But soon you'll have Arms and Splatoon 2 which I've already played demos of and are great fun. Honestly, the Switch already tops the Wii for great multiplayer games and it's only been out a few months. It's why I've already purchased Switches for my addiction rehab facilities.

The Wii was the first console we ever had, for all the reasons you mention. I picked up a used PS3 as a blu ray player many years ago, my son has sporadically played a few games on there.

He's more of a casual gamer that might be more Wii centric, and we set up a Raspberri Pi emulator system a few months ago which really scratches most of his gaming itches.

But I really think it's more about the fact all his friends are now gaming together in some of these multiplayer games, and he wants in. I have my doubts whether the interest will hold...he's just not the type to get that deep into something, and being late to the console game, he is pretty intimidated by the complexity of the button mashing (as I've always been). I think there's a considerable chance that the gaming aspect of it goes by the wayside over a few months. That's why I picked it up at a pawn shop for a decent deal (he's paying for it) and the TV in that room was due for a new Netflix/Sling/Bluray etc machine anyway as the Roku and FireTV we were using are well past their shelf life. If it never plays another game after a month, it's still going to serve a purpose.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
What ages and interests?

Nah, they're just busy kids with a lot on their plate heh.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSUTribe76
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT