ADVERTISEMENT

Yard junkies - Need advice for my back yard

12Nole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 21, 2013
What do I need to do to successfully have a beautiful backyard covered in thick green grass? Throw down sod? Winter Rye?

Google is giving me too many answers.

What do I need to do to successfully have a beautiful backyard covered in thick green grass? Throw down sod? Winter Rye?

What part of the country do you live In?
If you want green grass during the winter, you can plant ryegrass, not winter rye. It's too late to plant it now. By the time it gets up and starts looking good, it will be time for your summer grass to start greening up. In the future try to get it in by November, and you will get a good stand and color, before the cold weather and shorter daylight. There are some ryegrass varieties that last longer into spring before they mature and go dormant or die. Those longer lasting varieties will hurt some varieties of summer grass. They basically choke it out while it is trying to get started in the spring

Reactions: 12Nole
What part of the country do you live In?
If you want green grass during the winter, you can plant ryegrass, not winter rye. It's too late to plant it now. By the time it gets up and starts looking good, it will be time for your summer grass to start greening up. In the future try to get it in by November, and you will get a good stand and color, before the cold weather and shorter daylight. There are some ryegrass varieties that last longer into spring before they mature and go dormant or die. Those longer lasting varieties will hurt some varieties of summer grass. They basically choke it out while it is trying to get started in the spring

Jax, FL

In Jax, you probably need to wait until Dec to plant ryegrass. If you don't have a summer grass established , I would put down sod in a month or so

You married? If not, getting a wife is very helpful. I occasionally buy her some new garden equipment -- like on Valentine's Day, for instance -- but this, together with cleaning fish and skinning game, is something your woman should be handling.

Reactions: Deerfuel2
In Jax, you probably need to wait until Dec to plant ryegrass. If you don't have a summer grass established , I would put down sod in a month or so
I sodded my yard with Bermuda during the winter months because the sod was much less expensive than in the spring or summer. The sod companies still need to make money during the dormant months. They guaranteed it would green up in the spring and replace any that didn't.

Take dumps on it frequently, it seems to work for the gators.

You married? If not, getting a wife is very helpful. I occasionally buy her some new garden equipment -- like on Valentine's Day, for instance -- but this, together with cleaning fish and skinning game, is something your woman should be handling.

One can only surmise you're wealthy, dashingly handsome, or a dimwit trapped in a prior century.
If you're not careful your wife may bash you over the head with one of her garden shovels.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
One can only surmise you're wealthy, dashingly handsome, or a dimwit trapped in a prior century.
If you're not careful your wife may bash you over the head with one of her garden shovels.

Idle hands are the devil's workshop. I never give her enough time to even think about violence. She also changes the oil in the cars, sews her own clothes, and cans the vegetables she grows on our land. She is a lucky woman and very, very happy. :)

Idle hands are the devil's workshop. I never give her enough time to even think about violence. She also changes the oil in the cars, sews her own clothes, and cans the vegetables she grows on our land. She is a lucky woman and very, very happy. :)
Eric, Pics of yard my foot. Pics of wife JHN!
Or yourself. I think you're a lonely bachelor.
(This oughta be good)

Eric, Pics of yard my foot. Pics of wife JHN!
Or yourself. I think you're a lonely bachelor.
(This oughta be good)

I am a dimwit trapped in a prior century, and still struggling with this technology thing.....no clue how to post pics.....if I figure it out, I'll post a husband/wife oil painting that wifey made in her spare time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT