ADVERTISEMENT

Yes, another travel thread (San Diego)...

phideltflg

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Aug 23, 2005
Kailua, HI
The wife and I will have two days and nights at the end of a work trip. I've spent lots of time in NorCal, but this will be my first time in SD. Anyone have any thoughts on places to stay, eat, sightseeing, etc.? We will be staying in La Jolla for two nights , but can move after that, if needed. In doing very basic research, it looks like the Gas Lamp District and Coronado might be good options, as well as La Jolla.

The wife and I will have two days and nights at the end of a work trip. I've spent lots of time in NorCal, but this will be my first time in SD. Anyone have any thoughts on places to stay, eat, sightseeing, etc.? We will be staying in La Jolla for two nights , but can move after that, if needed. In doing very basic research, it looks like the Gas Lamp District and Coronado might be good options, as well as La Jolla.

We just got back from SD a few weeks ago.

I highly recommend taking a tour of the USS Midway carrier ship (flagship used to mobilize operations during Operation Desert Storm) located in the San Diego harbor.. It is an awesome tour, and you can spend as little as an hour by yourself or up to 3 to 4 hours with a detailed audio tour.

Fun fact -- the USS Midway has a fully functional operating room suite. If a soldier needed surgery but the waters were choppy, the captain would order the ship to sail to smoother waters so that the surgeons could operate better.

USS-Midway-Sunset-Reflection.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: phideltflg
Temecula - wine country
San Juan Capistrano
Both an hour or so notth of San Diego Are worth the ride. The Hotel Coronado and Coronado are across the Coronado Bridge.
Old town is cool as well as Seaport Village. Good Mexican food in Old Town. San Diego Zoo is a great zoo. Drive out to Point Loma for great views of the city.
We head out there every so often for a getaway and love the area and climate. Have fun!!

Staying anywhere on Coronado, the Gaslamp or Mission Bay puts you right near all the action. Manchester Grand Hyatt is where I usually stay. The zoo is worth the trip and if you are in to beers hit up Stone and Ballast Point breweries.

Some already stated but the highlights are:
--Gaslamp district at night for drinks / dinner
--Point Loma... you can actually get a nice view of Mexico and great sights there (couple hours)
--Old Town for Mexican (couple hours)
--Drive up to La Jolla and stay the night if you can one night.
--On the drive to or from La Jolla check out the Top Gun house if you like the movie
--Another Top Gun stop is the restaurant in Gas Lamp
--Grab a drink at the Top of the Hyatt to enjoy the view
--Go to Hotel Coronado for a sunset drink outside. The bartender is the BEST and the view is awesome
--There is a restaurant that overlooks the Air craft carrier museum that many think is also on the 'must' list. I thought it was really good but not necessarily a must

What dates? I'm there this month from the 22nd -26th.

There are a ton of hikes around there. Download all trails. Do any of the beach hikes North or south. Especially Torry Pines. Head up to Carlsbad and get a Carne Asada burrito from this little dirt hole called Alejandro's or got to Pizza Port for some damn good pizza and brew.

Go to Bully's in Del Mar for tr best prime rib ever. Or for a great all around dining experience go to Croce's downtown (Jim Croce's wife's steakhouse), or Searsucker

The midway tour is good. Or the star of India. Or go have a cocktail on the deck of Thr Hotel Del on Coronado.

There is just so much fun stuff to do, what do you and your wife like? Your my friend on FB right? Send me a message there and I'll send you a bunch of links. I went to HS in SD and have been back nearly once a year since.

I've lived in Coronado for 9 years and think it's a must, but I'm biased. A really great way to see everything quickly is to take the trolley tour. It has stops in Coronado, Balboa Park, Little Italy, Old Town, Gas Lamp, Seaport Village, etc. You can get off wherever you want and just hop on the next trolley when you are ready to leave. They will show you lots of Top Gun spots along the way. I thought it would be cheesy, but its a lot of fun. Enjoy your stay, the weather is perfect right now.... well it's almost always perfect.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT