ADVERTISEMENT

You have to love wording for Famous People

RangerNole

Seminole Insider
Apr 13, 2003
You and I go to a place called Rehab when we have an addiction problem; however when you are famous athlete you go to another place "to get assistance managing your medications". I am glad he is getting help and I am sure the wording has to do with protecting his brand and endorsements; but do they think people are really that stupid. I guess if he ever plays again the golf announcers can say "he is really playing well after that stint getting help with his medications", instead of rehab. Oh and I especially love the quote about it not having anything to do with his recent DUI. http://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/19683214/tiger-woods-says-receiving-professional-help

i think perhaps the real point of your post ought to be that EVERYONE ought to benefit from such wording, as it reduces the stigma for those who seek out help.

so yes, i do love the wording for famous people, so much so i wish it was used for everyone.

also, most of the phrases you're pointing out were actually written or said by Tiger or his team, why wouldn't they use the softest wording possible, they're not going to write the tabloid articles about themselves. i don't understand your logic here.

Geez, OP. Most people aren't front page news and don't need to explain anything to more than family, friends and employers. But can you imagine all your faults and mistakes being broadcast worldwide?

I don't understand kicking people who are trying to get help, whatever they're calling it.

I will address both your comments in 1 post. BCN yes it would be nice if everyone could benefit from the Tiger team wording; that is kind of my point. Dude makes what 100 million a year and he can't figure out how to fix his problems; better yet not even have the problems to begin with! This is just another example of a guy who was set for life, all he had to do was be accountable and courteous; yet he couldn't even keep his ### in his pants and now we are supposed to feel sorry for him. While I understand anyone can become an addict; life is much easier for an addict that doesn't have to worry about feeding his family or paying his mortgage. So my point is I have no sympathy for Tiger and his people that did all they could to make sure his driving while wasted was just a simple medication mistake. IMO I doubt the rehab does much for him since it is likely just a plan to make sure he doesn't get a bad sentence or lose anymore endorsements; hopefully he proves me wrong. Finally yes my phrases were from the Tiger team; that is the point, the media basically said the same things they were sent, I guess that is journalism now.

FR yes his life is public; but that is how he made over a billion dollars for playing golf. If he didn't want the attention then don't sign endorsements, don't talk to the press, just play golf and take your earnings, then go home to wherever you want to live. Fame and fortune is a 2 way street; you can't take all the money you get from fame and then complain about the fortune.
Hopefully this makes some sense.

Reactions: angusnole
FR yes his life is public; but that is how he made over a billion dollars for playing golf. If he didn't want the attention then don't sign endorsements, don't talk to the press, just play golf and take your earnings, then go home to wherever you want to live. Fame and fortune is a 2 way street; you can't take all the money you get from fame and then complain about the fortune.
Ok, but is Woods complaining?

I will address both your comments in 1 post. BCN yes it would be nice if everyone could benefit from the Tiger team wording; that is kind of my point. Dude makes what 100 million a year and he can't figure out how to fix his problems; better yet not even have the problems to begin with! This is just another example of a guy who was set for life, all he had to do was be accountable and courteous; yet he couldn't even keep his ### in his pants and now we are supposed to feel sorry for him. While I understand anyone can become an addict; life is much easier for an addict that doesn't have to worry about feeding his family or paying his mortgage. So my point is I have no sympathy for Tiger and his people that did all they could to make sure his driving while wasted was just a simple medication mistake. IMO I doubt the rehab does much for him since it is likely just a plan to make sure he doesn't get a bad sentence or lose anymore endorsements; hopefully he proves me wrong. Finally yes my phrases were from the Tiger team; that is the point, the media basically said the same things they were sent, I guess that is journalism now.

oh my where to start....

- as you mentioned, money has nothing to do with addiction, which is why i'm not sure you bring it up to begin with
- no one is asking you to feel sorry for him, no one is asking you to be upset with him. that's on you, not sure why you're venting about feelings no one asked you to have in the first place
- journalism means reporting the news, not opining on it -- your misunderstanding of what constitutes journalism is in fact precisely what is wrong with journalism today

overall i just don't get your grudge or anger about this. guy made a mistake, is doing something to fix it. are we supposed to be pissed that the media isn't tearing him to shreds? i'm not because i know for sure a sizable swath of society has been doing a great job of that for about 19 years.

Last edited:
Nope he is making sure his people handle everything and he will see no consequences; so why would he complain.
Then why are you complaining? Because he's using the wealth he earned to provide himself with assistance both in dealing with this drug thing and getting the benefit millions of other rich dudes get within the confines of the law? Why a beef when Tiger does it. I must have missed your post about Bob Irsay a few years back.

Last edited:
Anyone ever been addicted to drugs and gone through a program to help get you clean?

Remember that Tiger also got "assistance" for his alleged "sexual addiction."

What a joke. Like he didn't realize he had any problem UNTIL the 3:00 a.m. driving incident? Or UNTIL his wife caught him texting with bimbettes? Please. This guy is a train wreck whose handlers have manipulated the media and a naive public for 20+ years. Sorry, not a ton of sympathy for the guy, and very little credit for getting "assistance" AFTER he has been publicly busted.

I've been to rehab for booze and Ranger just doesn't have a clue on addiction. I am facing a DUI trial, and my attorney/handler is there to help me legally, my consequences outside of the law have been far more damaging than the charges themselves.

Having money and less to worry about has absolutely nothing to do with addiction.

I will take the hit for not being as clear as I thought I was with my post; not the first time and surely won't be the last. The point I was trying to make is how this whole situation (sex addiction, DUI, pain meds etc.) has been covered in the media. Everything I have heard or read from the media is almost a direct repeat of what Tigers people put out. I haven't heard even 1 person hold Tiger accountable. There is no doubt that Tiger has a problem and I hope he does get the help he needs; as I would for anyone. But from everything I know about addiction one of the keys is admitting you have an issue; when press releases state things like "management of medication" or "not related to his recent DUI" I see a bunch of words only focused on insuring Tiger is thought of in a positive light and not about Tiger owning what the problem is. In a way it reminds me of a medical call I was on years ago on Halloween about an hour before dark. We get a call to a guy passed out in his car in a wealthy residential area. The cops are trying to talk to him, we are trying to find out what is wrong, but he keeps passing out; although it was obvious he was flat out wasted and he thought he was in the Wendy's drive thru. Many of the neighbors are out in the street giving their 2 cents; oh is Bob ok he is a diabetic, has medical problems etc.; we couldn't say anything due to HIPPA Eventually the guy ticked the cops off enough and they arrested him. My only thought as the neighbors were upset that he was going to jail was; if he did this an hour from now all your kids would be in the street for Halloween and who knows how this story ends.

I had a little issue back in 2009 and 2010 that I had to get some help with.

I can look back and say it was a mix of poor decisions and poor advise from doctors.

I suffer from anxiety and mild to moderate case of depression. Physician prescribed me anti anxiety meds and sleeping meds. My tolerance grew and dosage went up, and then I began finding multiple physicians etc. That led to drinking heavily and then blah blah....I had massive Cocain, alcohol and pill problem.

During this time I went through a divorce, housing crisis, poor economy, a major shift in the industry I worked in that led to me losing over 3/4 of my income, and then the BP Oil Spill was the iceing on the cake, (I worked in PCB where the economy is driven by the tourism industry, which there was none the summer the spill was taking place).

However, I met some folks while getting treatment that were victims to addiction via past surgeries. They would have withdrawals that would last days and days preventing them from getting out of bed and going to work, it wasn't about the high for them, it was about the detox.

Long story short, it's different for each person dealing with the addiction.

In my case it was a combo or very poor decision making/giving up on life and not giving a **** about anything, and doctors telling me that prescription drugs would help fix the issue.

There is more, and I could never fully explain within a text or message board.

Reactions: BelemNole
Remember that Tiger also got "assistance" for his alleged "sexual addiction."

What a joke. Like he didn't realize he had any problem UNTIL the 3:00 a.m. driving incident? Or UNTIL his wife caught him texting with bimbettes? Please. This guy is a train wreck whose handlers have manipulated the media and a naive public for 20+ years. Sorry, not a ton of sympathy for the guy, and very little credit for getting "assistance" AFTER he has been publicly busted.
i don't think he really asked for your sympathy, so it's probably all good.

the guy has been getting beat on by a sizable portion of the public for the better part of 18 years, for a variety of reasons, so any perceived softness from the media is fine by me.

and to be honest, the media has been covering this guy with paparazzi and headlines like he is one of the beatles. that they're not tearing him to shreds as he goes to rehab is actually a refreshing display of humanity from the media.

again, their job is to report the story, not opine on it, not to humiliate or judge people. people have lost their way in terms of what they think the media's role is (the media hasn't helped) so much so that when the media actually acts properly people freak out and wonder why they're not scandalizing something. sad.

I will take the hit for not being as clear as I thought I was with my post; not the first time and surely won't be the last. The point I was trying to make is how this whole situation (sex addiction, DUI, pain meds etc.) has been covered in the media. Everything I have heard or read from the media is almost a direct repeat of what Tigers people put out. I haven't heard even 1 person hold Tiger accountable. There is no doubt that Tiger has a problem and I hope he does get the help he needs; as I would for anyone. But from everything I know about addiction one of the keys is admitting you have an issue; when press releases state things like "management of medication" or "not related to his recent DUI" I see a bunch of words only focused on insuring Tiger is thought of in a positive light and not about Tiger owning what the problem is. In a way it reminds me of a medical call I was on years ago on Halloween about an hour before dark. We get a call to a guy passed out in his car in a wealthy residential area. The cops are trying to talk to him, we are trying to find out what is wrong, but he keeps passing out; although it was obvious he was flat out wasted and he thought he was in the Wendy's drive thru. Many of the neighbors are out in the street giving their 2 cents; oh is Bob ok he is a diabetic, has medical problems etc.; we couldn't say anything due to HIPPA Eventually the guy ticked the cops off enough and they arrested him. My only thought as the neighbors were upset that he was going to jail was; if he did this an hour from now all your kids would be in the street for Halloween and who knows how this story ends.
i'm a bit lost.

how would you suggest tiger and the media handle this?

i'm a bit lost.

how would you suggest tiger and the media handle this?

IMO call it what it is. I don't disagree we/me/you have no right to judge him for his issues; we all have issues. However by pretending it is just some medication issue, that driving at 0300 with your car all torn up passed out at the wheel etc. is just an oops I took the wrong pill issue actually is not helping Tiger. If Tiger wanted to own his issue and likely help those that do have an addiction problem too he could hold a press conference and say "hey I had a bunch of surgeries and got addicted to taking pills" that would likely help the 10's of 1000s of people that are in the same boat. They may say well damn Tiger is all world and he can admit this; maybe I should look into some help too. Now Tiger has no responsibility to do anything but take care of Tiger; although I believe that the responsibility of someone with unlimited resources requires a greater responsibility in our society. Tiger is a billionaire and their is nothing that can happen to him that will change his lifestyle or quality of life, from a financial stand point.
As far as the media they can do what they want' however it is obvious that Tiger has issues and they don't have to trash the guy; but to parrot the Tiger Company line is IMO just a fear of making the cash cow mad and pampering him. We can disagree on all this; I am just a black and white guy; which has it's faults; but if you are taking drugs, driving wasted at 0300, and so many other things I have just have an issue with the oh just a medication management story line.

IMO call it what it is. I don't disagree we/me/you have no right to judge him for his issues; we all have issues. However by pretending it is just some medication issue, that driving at 0300 with your car all torn up passed out at the wheel etc. is just an oops I took the wrong pill issue actually is not helping Tiger. If Tiger wanted to own his issue and likely help those that do have an addiction problem too he could hold a press conference and say "hey I had a bunch of surgeries and got addicted to taking pills" that would likely help the 10's of 1000s of people that are in the same boat. They may say well damn Tiger is all world and he can admit this; maybe I should look into some help too. Now Tiger has no responsibility to do anything but take care of Tiger; although I believe that the responsibility of someone with unlimited resources requires a greater responsibility in our society. Tiger is a billionaire and their is nothing that can happen to him that will change his lifestyle or quality of life, from a financial stand point.
As far as the media they can do what they want' however it is obvious that Tiger has issues and they don't have to trash the guy; but to parrot the Tiger Company line is IMO just a fear of making the cash cow mad and pampering him. We can disagree on all this; I am just a black and white guy; which has it's faults; but if you are taking drugs, driving wasted at 0300, and so many other things I have just have an issue with the oh just a medication management story line.
i appreciate your response, i get what you're saying and your heart is in the right place.

that said i disagree, it's like you're saying because he's a public figure, it's incumbent upon him to become a 'role model' others dealing with similar issues can look to for inspiration?

i'd say give him a chance to get through his own addiction before asking him to become a poster child. addiction is a personal issue and should be handled as such.

It's none of my business what Tiger has done or will do, he owes me no explanation.

Don't disagree I just think people given a ton based on fame, athletic ability etc. have a responsibility to do more for society because they have been given so much. Not that they should be a role model; but if they showed values like humility, honesty, accountability, etc. it would help show the greater society that these values matter. My opinion likely comes from taking in multiple family members who had parents die, multiple kids in my kids life that had parents die and victims of terrible things like rape etc. Right now I have a girl who is a friend of my son who sleeps on our couch a few times a week, she has a key to our house and comes and goes as she wishes. She feels safe at our house and since we have the ability to help her out we do. I am not special but I think how you live your life and how you help those in need locally in your community in general has an impact on people and if you can make a positive impact on someone maybe they will do the same thing one day.

You may ask what does this have to do with Tiger. Well he has the ability to have a major impact both from his behavior and his money; just don't see where he has done that. His First Tee program from I have read sounds like a tax write off. Who knows maybe I am off base; but I have a high expectation for myself and all those around me. Not sure if this makes sense but it is what I think.

Don't disagree I just think people given a ton based on fame, athletic ability etc. have a responsibility to do more for society because they have been given so much. Not that they should be a role model; but if they showed values like humility, honesty, accountability, etc. it would help show the greater society that these values matter. My opinion likely comes from taking in multiple family members who had parents die, multiple kids in my kids life that had parents die and victims of terrible things like rape etc. Right now I have a girl who is a friend of my son who sleeps on our couch a few times a week, she has a key to our house and comes and goes as she wishes. She feels safe at our house and since we have the ability to help her out we do. I am not special but I think how you live your life and how you help those in need locally in your community in general has an impact on people and if you can make a positive impact on someone maybe they will do the same thing one day.

You may ask what does this have to do with Tiger. Well he has the ability to have a major impact both from his behavior and his money; just don't see where he has done that. His First Tee program from I have read sounds like a tax write off. Who knows maybe I am off base; but I have a high expectation for myself and all those around me. Not sure if this makes sense but it is what I think.
There's a Charles Barkley deodorant commercial that would apropos for response to your comment.

There's a Charles Barkley deodorant commercial that would apropos for response to your comment.

I guess. I don't expect stars, athletes, or whoever to be role models; I just expect them to realize they have a social responsibility because they have an impact on how the social culture is developed. I also don't rely on them to mentor/role model my kids or the kids I try and mentor. They can do what they want and likely will; just don't expect me to purchase any product they endorse. That is my very small way of making a statement and I have no doubt it will have no effect on their life either. The difference is I practice what I preach and most stars today are nothing more than self absorbed idiots; although very wealthy.

Ranger, do you think it would be easy dealing with the pool he was tossed into as a kid? We can only imagine the temptations, loss of self reliance, and surreal atmosphere in which the world surrounded him with.
Whether the guy wanted it or not, his world is not simple. You and I have no clue as to whether we would handle that "shoe show" better or worse than he has. There is a tremendous loss of control within the bubble that encompasses people who are fawned upon to the extent he has been subjected to...
If he did not sign endorsements, do you think this thread would have ever started?

Ranger, do you think it would be easy dealing with the pool he was tossed into as a kid? We can only imagine the temptations, loss of self reliance, and surreal atmosphere in which the world surrounded him with.
Whether the guy wanted it or not, his world is not simple. You and I have no clue as to whether we would handle that "shoe show" better or worse than he has. There is a tremendous loss of control within the bubble that encompasses people who are fawned upon to the extent he has been subjected to...
If he did not sign endorsements, do you think this thread would have ever started?

I have no doubt that would be very difficult for a young person; however Tiger is in his 40's now. I would have much more sympathy or understanding for a 20 year old who did some dumb things.

I have no doubt that would be very difficult for a young person; however Tiger is in his 40's now. I would have much more sympathy or understanding for a 20 year old who did some dumb things.
adults are a reflection of their collective experiences in life.
tiger's experiences, starting as a toddler, have been anything but normal.

there isn't some switch that flips on when you land in your 40s or even 70s that makes you act more 'adult' and prevents you from doing 'dumb things'. tiger is far from the only example of an adult who makes mistakes. there are prominent people in their 70s who continue to publicly embarrass themselves in ways normal folks like you and i find baffling.

Reactions: billanole

Team Tiger should hire Billy Blazejowski to go over the etymology of "rehabilitation".

I ran into Michael once - I just smiled and said "hey" but I really wanted to ask him if he'd ever worked out the meaning of "pros"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT