ADVERTISEMENT

You know what really chaps my hide...

Fijimn

Veteran Seminole Insider
May 7, 2008
Parents that continue to bring their sick, germ invested brats to school. There is a special place in hell for parents that drop snotty little Debbie off at school to infect the kids and, in turn, the adults.

Parents that continue to bring their sick, germ invested brats to school. There is a special place in hell for parents that drop snotty little Debbie off at school to infect the kids and, in turn, the adults.

I heard one story of a mom that put tylenol in their kid's bottle so they would never show a fever. Crazy.

On the other hand our kids' doctor actually told us that we needed to send them to school if they didn't have a fever. Runny nose, mild cold, etc. isn't enough to keep them out. He said if we did they would never be in school.

Reactions: DanC78
Obviously not something experienced until I had a child, but if we kept our kid out of school with a mild cold with no fever symptoms we would be out of PTO days by February. But we always follow the 24 hour fever rule and usually go for two days of no fever depending on how she's behaving since I work from home. Our pediatrician said always treat your kid, not the symptoms. Some times a runny nose and cough will have her completely run down and other times she can run a fever and be as chipper as ever an hour after some Motrin.

Schools also don't exactly take kindly to excessive absences. If your kid is legitimately sick, i.e. flu or strep or some other significant virus or infection, then you as a parent would be negligent in sending them to school. However, coughs, sniffles, are practically impossible to avoid. It's not realistic to pull your kid from school every time he/she has a runny nose.

Reactions: Finance85
We went to school unless we showed signs of death for two or three days, no one stayed home.

And also, with the thousands of kids that I went to school with, I never knew one of them to be allergic to peanuts.

Back in the day. I walked 10 miles to school, carrying 10 pounds of books. Barefoot. In the snow. Uphill. Both ways.

As for the peanut allergy, I was on a flight last year and the flight attendant came on the intercom and asked all passengers to refrain from eating peanuts because someone on the flight had an allergy.

My son went to school unless he had a fever.

We went to school unless we showed signs of death for two or three days, no one stayed home.

And also, with the thousands of kids that I went to school with, I never knew one of them to be allergic to peanuts.
That's because they made those kids eat in the boiler room with the janitor.

Agreed on the peanut thing. I heard about it as a kid but I never experienced it. Now it seems far more prevalent. Why is that?

Also, I agree with the being sent to school unless you're dying. I came from a poor area and parents could not afford to stay home. By the time my friends and I hit senior year in highschool almost no one ever got sick. Then again, we're from a different generation and generations older than mine would say they had it worse. At least my generation didn't have to kill their school lunch! Although, venison sounds really good.

Reactions: goldmom
Literally NEVER heard of anyone with peanut allergies. I wonder if there are new pest resistant varieties that have created the issue?

Reactions: RTM58
Literally NEVER heard of anyone with peanut allergies. I wonder if there are new pest resistant varieties that have created the issue?
Anyone remember the story of the FSU academic adviser who died of a peanut allergy at a Chinese buffet?

FSU athletics adviser Schmauch, 29, dies
By Gerald Ensley
DEMOCRAT SENIOR WRITER

A popular Florida State athletics official and former star athlete, Matt Schmauch, died unexpectedly Friday while attending a national convention in St. Louis.

Schmauch died of an apparent allergic reaction while attending the National Association of Academic Advisers for Athletics' annual convention. He was 29.

Schmauch was FSU's assistant athletic academic adviser, in charge of overseeing the academic performance of men's football and women's basketball student-athletes.

"Our players adored him; he was like an older brother," said FSU women's basketball coach Sue Semrau. "It was not only the professional side of him but the personal side. He was there for all the things you need when you're going through college as an athlete."

Schmauch was one of seven FSU administrators attending the national convention, including Mark Meleney, director of athletic academic support services. Contacted in St. Louis, Meleney said Schmauch had a well-known allergy to peanuts and was "always cautious about what he ate."

Meleney said Schmauch and fellow FSU adviser Kevin White were eating lunch at a Chinese buffet in the St. Louis Hyatt Union Station, the convention hotel, when Schmauch began to feel ill. Meleney said Schmauch got up to go to his room, but apparently got only part of the way before he turned around and returned to the dining room where he collapsed.

Paramedics arrived in less than five minutes and began working on Schmauch, then took him to a hospital. Meleney said Schmauch never regained consciousness and was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at the hospital. A medical examiner Saturday ruled the cause of death as heart failure.

Schmauch was a high-school All-American swimmer in Allen Park, Mich. He was recruited to the University of Florida, where he spent one year before transferring to FSU. He lettered three seasons for FSU (1994-1996) and was team captain his senior year. He posted FSU Top 10 career times in three events (200-meter breast stroke, 200-meter individual medley and 400-meter individual medley). He was an Academic All-American and two-time member of the Atlantic Coast Conference Honor Roll.

He earned his bachelor's degree in finance in 1995 and a master's degree in athletic administration in 1996. Meleney hired him as head of the athletics tutorial program in fall 1996 and promoted him to assistant academic adviser in 1998, in charge of football and women's basketball.

Though he often butted heads with football players with lackadaisical class habits, Schmauch helped push many to graduation. Super Bowl MVP Dexter Jackson, a Quincy native, credited Schmauch with persuading him to complete his degree in 2001 after Jackson left FSU for the NFL in 1999.

"Matt brought a tough love to his job," Meleney said. "He pushed the guys to grow up and be accountable for what they did in the classroom. Some of the most unprepared student-athletes came to love him because they learned he was in their corner."

Semrau agreed.

"With Matt, it wasn't just about getting student-athletes through school," she said. "He understood if you developed more as a person, you developed more as an athlete and a student. He always put the person first."

Florida State quarterback Chris Rix said Schmauch will be missed.

"He's irreplaceable," Rix said. "He always wanted the best out of other people. I know the guys on the team are going to miss him. He would stay on guys if you miss something. He wanted the best for you and out of you."

Schmauch is survived by his mother, Janis, and a younger brother, Brien.

Funeral arrangements are pending.

Groups: None

Reactions: PoopandBoogers
Yeah, I don't get it. And it's not just peanuts...the amount of allergies in our boy scout troop is insane. I hear more all the time.

On an individual level, I'm not going to call BS on any individual parent. It's tough enough being a parent, and when you're having health problems with your kid and find something that resolves it...it is what it is. If there's something wrong with my kid, and someone tells me they're allergic to green socks, and it works...I'm going with it.

But there HAS to be some BS in the phenomenon somewhere, there just has to be. A huge number of these things must have gone undiagnosed without incident in the past. My son had a couple incidents that we eventually tied to cashews. A couple times he had choking/breathing fits, a couple times he threw up...and we eventually figured out a cashew connection. We went ahead and had him tested, and he came back as severely allergic to about 8 different nuts, including cashews, and were told to keep him away from all nuts.

I pushed back a little bit...some of these things he was eating regularly his whole life with no side effects. I wasn't really excited to impose all those restrictions for him for life, when he was eating peanut butter, like every day. The doctor finally had to admit that the tests for these things weren't conclusive by any means, and false positives were common. Because his reactions hadn't been severe, and because he was old enough, they agreed we were fine just to let him eat what he had always eaten, and just keep him away from cashews. Especially because he was older, and could monitor what he ate, and express it if he was having issues.

That's something we would have never have even put together if we didn't know nut allergies existed. If that was me growing up, it would just be a few random incidents spread across a childhood. So there are millions of cases I'm sure where the allergies would have gone virtually unnoticed a generation ago. And some kids probably walk around with an epi pen strapped to their arm for the rest of their life because they choked on a baby ruth once.

On the other hand...people do DIE from it, and have massively scary episodes. If that was going on a generation ago, we would have noticed. Everyone knew there were people that could die from a bee sting back then...we would have known about peanuts if that was happening, especially with probably 20% of children supposedly deathly allergic. So SOMETHING is real and has changed.

Yeah, I don't get it. And it's not just peanuts...the amount of allergies in our boy scout troop is insane. I hear more all the time.

On an individual level, I'm not going to call BS on any individual parent. It's tough enough being a parent, and when you're having health problems with your kid and find something that resolves it...it is what it is. If there's something wrong with my kid, and someone tells me they're allergic to green socks, and it works...I'm going with it.

But there HAS to be some BS in the phenomenon somewhere, there just has to be. A huge number of these things must have gone undiagnosed without incident in the past. My son had a couple incidents that we eventually tied to cashews. A couple times he had choking/breathing fits, a couple times he threw up...and we eventually figured out a cashew connection. We went ahead and had him tested, and he came back as severely allergic to about 8 different nuts, including cashews, and were told to keep him away from all nuts.

I pushed back a little bit...some of these things he was eating regularly his whole life with no side effects. I wasn't really excited to impose all those restrictions for him for life, when he was eating peanut butter, like every day. The doctor finally had to admit that the tests for these things weren't conclusive by any means, and false positives were common. Because his reactions hadn't been severe, and because he was old enough, they agreed we were fine just to let him eat what he had always eaten, and just keep him away from cashews. Especially because he was older, and could monitor what he ate, and express it if he was having issues.

That's something we would have never have even put together if we didn't know nut allergies existed. If that was me growing up, it would just be a few random incidents spread across a childhood. So there are millions of cases I'm sure where the allergies would have gone virtually unnoticed a generation ago. And some kids probably walk around with an epi pen strapped to their arm for the rest of their life because they choked on a baby ruth once.

On the other hand...people do DIE from it, and have massively scary episodes. If that was going on a generation ago, we would have noticed. Everyone knew there were people that could die from a bee sting back then...we would have known about peanuts if that was happening, especially with probably 20% of children supposedly deathly allergic. So SOMETHING is real and has changed.

GMO, homie

I do get congested and feel my throat tighten up a little when I eat one of those little bags of Lance peanuts...

I was allergic to everything as a kid: grass; animal hair/fur; certain trees; milk; etc. Dad said he'll grow out of it. I did.

Reactions: goldmom
I've also heard of speculation about immunization.

To me the most convincing theory is that widespread antibiotics have reduced/killed of a bacteria strain, probably in the stomach, that was part of the immunity to being able to process these items.

I was allergic to everything as a kid: grass; animal hair/fur; certain trees; milk; etc. Dad said he'll grow out of it. I did.

Me too...pollen and ragweed was a big one. But those were a different kind of allergy...made you sick or rash up, but this anaphylactic thing is a different animal. The only thing of this nature that anyone was aware of was an allergy to bee stings when I was growing up.

I'm 48, I had a teacher in the 7th-8th grade with a bad peanut allergy. One of the kids found out and hung a bag of peanut butter under her desk. She was out for 3 days. Lucky the little bastard didn't kill her.

Reactions: noleclone2
There is one level of parents worse than this.

They are the ones who instead take the sick/puking/hacking/sharting/sneezing child to work and try to hide them in their office.

Reactions: csklad
I had the tiniest brush with anaphylaxis while eating Thai food one night. My GF insisted that I try one of the weird noodles she was eating so I obliged - this thing was spaghetti-thickness, made from normal wheat, and about 1 1/2" long, covered in whatever sauce the dish featured.

The noodle piece was so small I basically gave it one chew and swallowed it - thankfully it went down one side of my throat in one gulp. Within a second or 2 I could feel that side of my throat swell, cutting off most of my air. It took a few seconds to kick in an built-up over a few more, so of course when it started to feel uncomfortable I grabbed my water and gulped - to no effect. I was still getting enough O2 to stay conscious, but it didn't take long for the panic to set in. The problem lasted about 2-3 minutes and then faded.

I do not have any food allergies that I am aware of - certainly not any of the standard ones (I was eating pad thai noodles covered in peanuts at the time). My best guess was that I reacted to that fermented fish sauce that finds it's way into so many SE Asian cuisines...I have had plenty of that before as well, but I could have gotten a strange batch of it, or it conspired with MSG to try to take me out. GF didn't have any issues with that dish.

Maybe if we had laws that protected parents for having to take time off for work to take care of their children I'd be more understanding. Sure it sucks when an illness spreads throughout a school, but if it's either send your kid to school sick or lose your job, lose your ability to provide for your family, sometimes you send your kid to school sick.

Maybe if we had laws that protected parents for having to take time off for work to take care of their children I'd be more understanding. Sure it sucks when an illness spreads throughout a school, but if it's either send your kid to school sick or lose your job, lose your ability to provide for your family, sometimes you send your kid to school sick.

AMEN, this is the best thought in this thread. The same people who will whine and moan about not getting better health care will turn around and punish people for needing time off for sick kids or needing to go to the doctors office.

Reactions: kc78
AMEN, this is the best thought in this thread. The same people who will whine and moan about not getting better health care will turn around and punish people for needing time off for sick kids or needing to go to the doctors office.

Yep, so far I've seen "How dare you send your kid to school sick" followed by "How dare you bring your sick kid to work" in this thread with no understanding that considering the employment rules of most companies, those are literally your only options if you want to keep your job.

Depends on the job.

What kind of protections are you guys proposing that would give employees these rights without being a huge burden on employers?

Depends on the job.

What kind of protections are you guys proposing that would give employees these rights without being a huge burden on employers?

At the very least make certain you give all employees sick leave that they can use on themselves and family as needed. At least one to two weeks of it. Many jobs have zero flexibility.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT