ADVERTISEMENT

$1.5 Billion - What Would You Do? (three winners )

squiffy bringing his A-Game as always!

I was just in Ocala visiting my mother, and we were in a restaurant where for a $1, you can buy a paper balloon and write your name on it and they tape the balloon to the walls, doors....... The money goes towards a charity. They had two different color balloons, blue and orange, and garnet and gold. I bought $20 worth of the garnet and gold balloons and put my son's name on it, so the balloon read: Matthew 27:2

I was one of the first to buy the balloons, so I had all the prime spots to tape the balloons, and I taped most of them to the front door so that was the first thing people saw when they entered the restaurant!

I was just in Ocala visiting my mother, and we were in a restaurant where for a $1, you can buy a paper balloon and write your name on it and they tape the balloon to the walls, doors....... The money goes towards a charity. They had two different color balloons, blue and orange, and garnet and gold. I bought $20 worth of the garnet and gold balloons and put my son's name on it, so the balloon read: Matthew 27:2

I was one of the first to buy the balloons, so I had all the prime spots to tape the balloons, and I taped most of them to the front door so that was the first thing people saw when they entered the restaurant!
Manch representing his favorite!!! Go Manch!

Just for fun I'd rent billboards along I-75 and place this picture -

Urban_zps9493b2f7.jpg

"Go kill someone. Go Gata"

Would not take the lump sum. 10M annually after taxes increasing by 1M for 30 years. Setup trust funds for my kids. Payoff my sister's house. Buy the land next to my old church in Tally so they can finally expand. Play WSOP. Buy mom a new Lincoln as her 92 Continental is dragging like she's got a body in the trunk. Buy some hair like Jimbo.

Would not take the lump sum. 10M annually after taxes increasing by 1M for 30 years. Setup trust funds for my kids. Payoff my sister's house. Buy the land next to my old church in Tally so they can finally expand. Play WSOP. Buy mom a new Lincoln as her 92 Continental is dragging like she's got a body in the trunk. Buy some hair like Jimbo.

At age 46, I think I would take the lump sum. $418 million in the bank after all taxes would be enough to set up my family for generations to come. I don't like the fact that the annual payments start at about $14 million and end 30 years from now at $56 million a year. I think I might accept the annual option if the annual checks were equal every year at $30 million.

After taxes and taking the annual payments, the take home is $675 million, about $257 million more than the lump sum payment option.

I would, at the very least, purchase a private jet, then buy a home in a fly-in community. Probably buy a place in either Martinique or St. Lucia for the winters. Might look for a place in Montana for the summers. Take care of my siblings, nieces and nephews. Donate to cancer research. Travel.

One of the first things I'd do is put the best criminal and civil defense attorneys on retainer. You know damn well every resentful Tom Dick and Harry would come crawling out of the woodworks to f you over by making criminal allegations or filing a civil suit against you.

I'd prolly put 50 mill in a safe mutual fund.

Start a Venture Capital firm with the rest.

And give 10% to charity.

I'd definitely take lump sum and You never know what can happen and all of a sudden 10 yrs later...."yeah the govt is taking your payments from here on out due to blah blah blah.... " and nothing you can do about it.

Reactions: angusnole
I know I'd definitely take formal golf lessons and play the game full-time.

I would do nothing different. Work the same job, drive the same car, wear the same clothes. Just get the cash and bury it somewhere in back yard.

Although, I might seek help for my compulsive lying problem.

The sum can support generations. So, once you get tired of the hookers and blow (because the nasal passages can only take so much) what would you do.

I'd probably finish out my year at work. Get the financials, charity donations, trusts, etc. all set. Then go on a 2 year tour of the world. Take a tutor for my little girl so she can book learn, but then go see everything in the world.

Then I'd probably buy some acreage and have a real nice ranch house to be my home base. A crash pad in a couple of places when I want to visit. Open up a law office and only handle the case that I want -- probably a lot of indigent work -- and a little gastro-pub to mess around with. Then see where life takes me. Hopefully not end up on E-Television: When Lotto Winners Go Broke.
Buy the naming rights to that school in hog town and rename it "douchebag community college."
Home of the "fighting jorts!"

Maryland and NY placed at the bottom of Fortune's list of how much you keep after taxes. Maybe $40 million less than Florida.
I would happily pay my NY State income tax obligation, knowing that by winning as a New Yorker, I've helped do a small part in providing books, food, healthcare and transportation to those who need it.
I'd top that off with an exceptional amount of charitable giving of my own.

I love that people are greedy about money they're impossibly lucky to have won in the first place.

edit: re-read goldmom's post, there was nothing greedy sounding in it.

Last edited:
I would happily pay my NY State income tax obligation, knowing that by winning as a New Yorker, I've helped do a small part in providing books, food, healthcare and transportation to those who need it.

I love that people are greedy about money they're impossibly lucky to have won in the first place.

For real.

Last edited by a moderator:

edit: re-read goldmom's post, there was nothing greedy sounding in it.

I was sharing information, not taking some sort of position other than the general idea that we in Florida just have that much extra left at the end of the day.

Whatever you do with it, that piece of paper with the winning numbers just became the most valuable, by ounce, thing in all of recorded history.
Californium 252 is worth about $30 million/gram.

Where would one start to invest that much? Any financial advisers on here. I'm 38 so I would prob go with annuity.

I'm going to be in an extreme minority here but I would NOT want to win the lottery, regardless of the amount. I would rather make my own money and actually appreciate it. Winning that kind of cash would take all of the fun out of business for me and I think living an extremely lavish lifestyle, that is quite frankly, undeserved, would get old after a few months or maybe years. If I happened to win that kind of cash I think I would put 1 million in untouchable savings (not even enough to retire on, as a super awesome cushion) and donate all of the rest, mostly to FSU...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT