ADVERTISEMENT

2018 NBA Playoffs-

Is it though? Warriors drafted all but KD so it's not like 3 other stars signing with one. The Warriors drafted well (Green, Thompson, Curry), curated their talent and have players that don't require to be the highest paid (well, outside of Curry). They are the perfect storm of circumstance, as they completely benefited from the new CBA. This won't last, though. It will end soon, just as the Miami "super team" ended sooner than expected.

What you described of the 3 players coming together was what Lebron/Wade/Bosh did back in Miami, not what is happening with the Warriors.

Yes that is a good point. So the equivalent of Durant would have been Shaq joining the bulls after the 1997 season. Still bad.... I'm hoping it falls apart in GS soon because it would have made for good basketball/ competition if Durant had stayed with OKC (or gone to another team that did not win 72 games the prior season).

It’s pretty simple why people don’t like LeBron. He whines mostly all game about calls, he constantly throws his hand picked teamates under the bus, he’s not a great leader, he’s actually not a nice guy individually to people off the court and he’s a terrible tipper. That’s basically it.

Reactions: seminoleed
My comment on this, "Lavar Ball and LeBron will make me pull for mass shooters."

Why? Whatever team he chooses to join will be instant contenders to get to the conference finals just like whatever team in the east will get to the conference finals. So sure he may have an easier path in beating the Celtics to get to the finals than taking down Golden State. But does it really matter if he loses to Golden State in the conference finals vs. the Championship series? However, you could argue Golden state will have lest rest going into the conference finals thant the championship finals so he may have a better shot at beating them with less rest.
Because he only has to beat 1 or 2 legit teams to win a title coming from the east. Out west you have Houston, Golden State, SA, so you have at least 3-4 worthy contenders.

Yes, it absolutely matters if he loses to Golden State in the Finals vs. conference championship. No question about it. Lebron is in better physical shape so the longer it goes the better off he is.

It’s pretty simple why people don’t like LeBron. He whines mostly all game about calls, he constantly throws his hand picked teamates under the bus, he’s not a great leader, he’s actually not a nice guy individually to people off the court and he’s a terrible tipper. That’s basically it.

My comment on this, "Lavar Ball and LeBron will make me pull for mass shooters."
Whatever it is, I hope Lebron is cutting you all monthly checks for the amount of time he spends living in your heads.

I'm not a Cavs fan, nor was I a Heat fan, but I find him tremendously likable and a fantastic role model off the court, in addition to his transcendent on court talent. The world would be a better place if it had more people like him, though he has admitted to being frugal, which we likely need more of as well.

I don't dislike LeBron. Nor does he live in my head , and I have never watched him play a complete game

I was speaking of the further inundation of media

As for his fans, it's like crossfit cult married a vegan and had kid made of gluten. I've never seen a more defensive group of people

Reactions: Nolebra Kai
Because he only has to beat 1 or 2 legit teams to win a title coming from the east. Out west you have Houston, Golden State, SA, so you have at least 3-4 worthy contenders.

Yes, it absolutely matters if he loses to Golden State in the Finals vs. conference championship. No question about it. Lebron is in better physical shape so the longer it goes the better off he is.
Not if the Spurs lose Kawhi and the Rockets lose CP3 and OKC loses Paul George. The Lebron being in better shape should mean he wants them with less rest so playing them in the conference finals would be a better chance to catch them fatigued with less time to recover. Lebron instantly makes the team he joins on that side the #2 team as he isn't going to join a team without at least 1 other star. The conferences toughness may switch soon. Boston, Toronto and Philly may no longer be cake walks well except Toronto for any team Lebron is on. Lol. He just owns them in a way he shouldn't.

Whatever it is, I hope Lebron is cutting you all monthly checks for the amount of time he spends living in your heads.

I'm not a Cavs fan, nor was I a Heat fan, but I find him tremendously likable and a fantastic role model off the court, in addition to his transcendent on court talent. The world would be a better place if it had more people like him, though he has admitted to being frugal, which we likely need more of as well.
I lean toward siding with Ostrich on Lebron. No trouble off the court and other than the whining (which is the norm in the NBA) I love his game. It does kinda get old that whatever team he ends up on he becomes their coach and GM as well but it's clearly a players league (much different than college hoops).

I told my son years ago that whether he chose to cheer for or against Lebron, make sure to appreciate what you are watching because it is true greatness and who knows if or when we will be able to watch another one like him.

I lean toward siding with Ostrich on Lebron. No trouble off the court and other than the whining (which is the norm in the NBA) I love his game. It does kinda get old that whatever team he ends up on he becomes their coach and GM as well but it's clearly a players league (much different than college hoops).

I told my son years ago that whether he chose to cheer for or against Lebron, make sure to appreciate what you are watching because it is true greatness and who knows if or when we will be able to watch another one like him.
Great post.

As with TB12, people love to take their pot shots. I realize I'm witnessing history though and have nothing but respect.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich

Talking about LeBron on a message board thread about the NBA finals shouldn’t equate to him living in anyone’s head. He doesn’t keep me up at night.
No matter what anyone thinks about him good or bad, the consensus is always gonna be that he’s one of the greatest. As far as an athlete being someone’s role model, sure, he isn’t a scumbag off court and he does many charitable things.
I’m simply saying what many people know and think about the man. He will always have fans but he certainly has many detractors. Both are warranted.

Reactions: RangerNole
Kawhi apparently has said he wants to move on from the Spurs.

Things maybe starting to come together for the Lakers. Haven't looked at their cap situation but they basically built a roster around wholesale overhaulling this summer.

Things maybe starting to come together for the Lakers. Haven't looked at their cap situation but they basically built a roster around wholesale overhaulling this summer.

"Sources" have, but we'll see how that turns out. I'm not sure how any of this helps Kawhi at all. I'm assuming the leaks are coming from his camp. This is nearing "scorched earth" point where the fans in SA are going to turn on him. LaMarcus Aldridge went through similar issues last year, but Pop was able to recover from that situation nicely and things are well with LA now.

Kawhi is not a free agent this season, so he would need the Spurs to agree to a sign and trade. I'm not sure why the Spurs would agree to that, to be honest. He doesn't have a lot of leverage here. If he doesn't show out this season, or gets injured, the market could soften significantly. A lot of risks there.

If I were Spurs front office, I would try to get him to see where he stands and see if he will agree to a contract. I'd rather they not offer him a super max contract regardless of what happens. It's always risky doing that following a season-long injury.

If Kawhi doesn't want to return, Spurs can have him play out this season at his $18 million contract and test free agency to see if they can sign any big prospects (cough cough LJ).

I'd like to see the spurs shop Danny Green. Not sure what the market is on him, but his declining offensive production really limits his upside as a defender. Spurs also need to either let Tony Parker go or sign him to a "Manu" type deal where he takes a reduced salary. He's a shell of his former self.

Without making some big moves, Spurs won't be able to compete with Warriors and Rockets next year anyways. This is going to be an interesting off-season for them.

Looking at Lakers roster and salary situation, they have tons of cap space but I don't love their talent pool from a guarantee standpoint.

They have a horrible contract in Luol Deng (2 years left at $18 mil/year). Julius Randle only has 1 year left. Isiah Thomas is a free agent (maybe not a bad thing).

I'm not terribly familiar with their roster, but their they do have quite a few scorers on their roster. I'm not sure about a complete team dynamic or coaching situation, though.

They don't have a center under contract, need some upgrades at PG. Young team with a lot of potential, but a lot of long-term unknowns.

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/los_angeles_lakers/

Not if the Spurs lose Kawhi and the Rockets lose CP3 and OKC loses Paul George. The Lebron being in better shape should mean he wants them with less rest so playing them in the conference finals would be a better chance to catch them fatigued with less time to recover. Lebron instantly makes the team he joins on that side the #2 team as he isn't going to join a team without at least 1 other star. The conferences toughness may switch soon. Boston, Toronto and Philly may no longer be cake walks well except Toronto for any team Lebron is on. Lol. He just owns them in a way he shouldn't.
Anyone in their right mind would rather have the #2 team be in the conference opposite the #1 team. It's not even close. Add to that the East has been far worse than the West for a decade or more.

I know or follow very little NBA but even I know the East is way easier to navigate.

Anyone in their right mind would rather have the #2 team be in the conference opposite the #1 team. It's not even close. Add to that the East has been far worse than the West for a decade or more.

I know or follow very little NBA but even I know the East is way easier to navigate.
It can change quickly now that the clippers blew their team up, OKC is probably going to lose George and Westbrook can't do it himself. Kawhi may leave the Spurs and Ginobli and Parker are old. and Meanwhile Toronto, Boston and Philly will be improving and be tougher. Bottom line is Lebron can join a team on either side and that team will still be considered 2nd to Golden State until someone dethrones them. The Lakers are probably in the best position to get multiple free agent stars Lebron would want to be able to give him a shot to take them down.

Sources say SA is reluctant to trade him to LA, knowing it’ll likely wind up a super team in their own conference.

Sources say SA is reluctant to trade him to LA, knowing it’ll likely wind up a super team in their own conference.

Spurs aren't going to ship him to a West Conf team, super team or not. They would have to play him more often it they did. If they trade him at all, will prob be to East Conf.

Lakers gonna prob end up over spending and getting a bunch of over priced guys in the end.

So if 5 different things all happen then the conference advantage might switch soon...yeah I’ll take my chances staying in the east. If the spurs lose kawhi he just stays west with LA so you don’t really have much going on here...anyone who knows anything knows the east is an easier path.

If Lebron “owns” the other contenders then it’s even more reason to stay, really you have no argument.

Gotta think Cousins is joining him. Kawhi very likely as well although I’m sure the Spurs are going to make it extremely unpalatable.

With George and Paul signing that really only leaves Leonard and Cousins for the Lakers to get. Rumor is Lebron tried to get Durant to go there as well..

Lakers do what the Lakers do...now they are trying to grab Clint Capela or Boogie

Figured he would go the LA route. This is about the future of his brand and not winning titles. I doubt he gets out of the conference finals now and it would not shock me if he lost in the semi's. It is not just the playoffs but your regular season just got a lot tougher. I know he plays a ton of minutes anyway; but reality is he is getting older. Even with Kwahi they are still probably 3rd or 4th best team in the west; not to mention what is the deal with Kwahi's health? Maybe he is 100%, but not seeing him play any bball for a while would concern me.

Conference Finals, haha? Agreed Lebron is done going to Finals and the biggest loser is Durant again, this Lakers team is garbage, making the playoffs is the current ceiling. They’ll need a second all star to even think about a top 4 seed out west, i doubt Spurs will let Kawhi go to LA now. They’ll be fun to watch, still unsure Ball doesn’t get moved since he can’t shoot.

Figured he would go the LA route. This is about the future of his brand and not winning titles. I doubt he gets out of the conference finals now and it would not shock me if he lost in the semi's. It is not just the playoffs but your regular season just got a lot tougher. I know he plays a ton of minutes anyway; but reality is he is getting older. Even with Kwahi they are still probably 3rd or 4th best team in the west; not to mention what is the deal with Kwahi's health? Maybe he is 100%, but not seeing him play any bball for a while would concern me.
After eight straight finals, he is looking beyond basketball and what better mentor can he have other than Magic Johnson? This last four years in the league is setting up the next twenty-five of his life.

After eight straight finals, he is looking beyond basketball and what better mentor can he have other than Magic Johnson? This last four years in the league is setting up the next twenty-five of his life.
Agreed however one of his advisers should have maybe mentioned the tax rate in Cali. Sure he has generational money; but I am still not in favor of giving up 50% of my income to anyone. Oh well it will be fun to watch. If he got frustrated with his team mates and coach in Cleveland; I can't imagine his frustration with his team mates in LA. Throw in the big baller input and it will be the best soap opera in TV.

Not a Laker or Lebron fan but I think this is the right move. He's taken agency over his life and career, set reasonable goals and timelines.

As a GSW fans, it feels extremely unpalatable to say this, but I hope they don't land Kawhi via SAS trade, but rather that Kawhi doesn't get traded, sits out this season in protest, then moves to LAL next season as a FA. Then I want the Lebron to win one right in LA while setting himself up to have an exceptionally impactful life off the court once his bball career is over.

Not a Laker or Lebron fan but I think this is the right move. He's taken agency over his life and career, set reasonable goals and timelines.

As a GSW fans, it feels extremely unpalatable to say this, but I hope they don't land Kawhi via SAS trade, but rather that Kawhi doesn't get traded, sits out this season in protest, then moves to LAL next season as a FA. Then I want the Lebron to win one right in LA while setting himself up to have an exceptionally impactful life off the court once his bball career is over.
If Kawhi does sit out in protest, would you spend a fortune on Kwahi even though he hasn't played bball in almost 2 years? I wouldn't

Agreed however one of his advisers should have maybe mentioned the tax rate in Cali.
Paying a 10% more in taxes when you've increased your income potential by 20-30% (if not far more considering post career opportunities he can start on now) isn't a bad deal - esp when you consider the enhanced lifestyle in LA vs CLE.

If Kawhi does sit out in protest, would you spend a fortune on Kwahi even though he hasn't played bball in almost 2 years? I wouldn't
He's a remarkable talent with one fewer year of wear on his tires. I'd pay him what the market commanded provided he checked out well with team doctors.

Paying a 10% more in taxes when you've increased your income potential by 20-30% (if not far more considering post career opportunities he can start on now) isn't a bad deal - esp when you consider the enhanced lifestyle in LA vs CLE.
I am not saying he will be poor but the cost of living is 10% higher, the tax rate at just the local level is 3% higher and the income tax rate is roughly 10% higher. Throw in the difference in cost of private schools, housing etc and the amount of money you will spend for someone who makes what LJ makes is significant. He will be fine but when you add that up over the years he will be giving away a bunch of money.

I am not saying he will be poor but the cost of living is 10% higher, the tax rate at just the local level is 3% higher and the income tax rate is roughly 10% higher. Throw in the difference in cost of private schools, housing etc and the amount of money you will spend for someone who makes what LJ makes is significant. He will be fine but when you add that up over the years he will be giving away a bunch of money.
Yea and making a bunch more than he would have in CLE and not having to deal with that weather.
Dude already owns homes there, those costs aren't changing. So you're basically concerned with the diff in what he pays at a private school in LA vs CLE?

You're just finding random reasons to hate on Cali. Stop.

I've always liked Lebron & wanted to see him succeed. However, I'm a lifelong Celtics fan who's hated the lakers for a lot longer than Lebron has even been alive, so now I hope he never makes the playoffs again.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I’m convinced some of you don’t follow basketball at all. That Lakers roster even without Kawhi has a lot of young talent. Ball, Kuzma, Randle and Ingram are all very solid young players. I think they’d be fools to waste a year of LeBrons prime by not going all in with Kawhi. You’d then be talking about LeBrons age 35 season before they’d really be competitive? Eventually he’s going to start to decline and it could be sudden like Kobe was. I’d offer Ingram, Hart and a pick. Maybe Kuzma instead of Hart if necessary.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT