ADVERTISEMENT

5 studies (5) show COVID just isn't very deadly

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a bullshit opinion. Don't pick and choose who should stay at home. If everyone did what you suggest, who is going to feed you? Who is going to supply the goods to the stores. Who is going to keep supplying the services that keep this a civilized society?
All of you scaredy cats like to tell everyone to stay home, and you mean it... Unless they are doing something you deem important. Absolute hypocritical BS
Obviously essential people are out working, you do realize society is still functioning outside of your home right?

More hyperbole. The stay at home at all costs crowd lives for hyperbole. “You could get change and hug your mom and she could be dead in 10 days” this is such an insane argument. Yeah and a depressed person could commit suicide bc they haven’t been able to see their therapist in 2mos. Or a recovering alcoholic could reach for a drink after 2mos of being confined at home. ALL options suck. Some of us just choose to live within a framework that can be mostly safe than to live in fear because there’s “a chance” this or that could happen.
That’s not an insane argument, it’s happening all over the world to people. Just because you don’t know anyone affected means nothing. I’ve had a a family member die from it. Can easily speak with a therapist from home, you know it’s 2020 yes? The alcoholic argument.... really? That’s the best you could do? Anything else you’d like to add?

Well if a virus that attacks your lungs and causes your blood to clot and that's killed almost 80,000 Americans in roughly 4 months isn't too bad, I wonder what would be considered bad.
Most of these people that have died had underlying issues. They blame it on the Virus but they actually died of cancer, Heart attack, etc...

This virus isn’t a walk in the park but neither is the flu. Many more people die from the flu than the Covid-19 virus.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) when will the curve be flattened?

2) in NYC, this thing was/is no joke and kills people

3) if you are older than 65, and/or obese, and/or a smoker, and/or a diabetic, and/or have some other co morbidity, this thing is no joke

4) death rate is down

5) I don't live in NYC... It's not bad here in Tampa.

6) will more people die from the reaction to this virus than the virus itself?

7) I have chosen to not trust politicians and the beauraucrats (like fauci)... They are all political in their approach. I wish they all could be fired on the spot.

Just a thought. You could visit them and sit with them outside. Stay 6 feet away .You could even wear a mask.
Funny you say that. A couple weeks ago we did just that. But it’s going to rain all day Sunday so we decided to try that again next week.

Reactions: Hogpynn
Obviously essential people are out working, you do realize society is still functioning outside of your home right?
It's homeS.
I am out there every day contributing to keeping your ass fed. I have had no desire to let people like you, determine what I do any day. You are a hypocrite. Everyone is essential, not just who you or anyone else determines is important

Reactions: gwgwi and Dr. Nole
That’s not an insane argument, it’s happening all over the world to people. Just because you don’t know anyone affected means nothing. I’ve had a a family member die from it. Can easily speak with a therapist from home, you know it’s 2020 yes? The alcoholic argument.... really? That’s the best you could do? Anything else you’d like to add?
I’d submit WAY more people will have extreme negative physical and emotional consequences of a strict extended lockdown than will people get the disease in some convoluted way like receiving change at the grocery store. Because if that was “happening all over the world” how come there isn’t a single documented outbreak at grocery stores? I don’t mean 1 person having it, according to you the simple exchange of a credit card is deadly. Also, why aren’t Fed Ex, UPS, USPS guys dropping like flies?

To quote the article: "these results may indicate the deadly COVID-19 pandemic – with mortality rates generally under 1% – is no more deadly than the seasonal influenza. If that is true, the near-global stay-at-home mandates could have been an overreaction."

Not one of you people was going crazy last year posting about influenza and advocating we all stay home, not one of you - so what the hell are you doing now?

Yes, the people that are panicking aren't able to put the numbers in perspective. That is what the media wants to happen. But, I will say this, at the end of the day the public health officials are going to have a huge black eye for this. Their insistence on a horizontal integration policy has killed people, not saved them. Every other viral epidemic we used a vertical integration policy, which means protect the vulnerable, isolate the infected, PPDs for health care workers. We close schools and day care spaces every year for influenza outbreaks.....every year.

We have a raging problem right now that could have been prevented if we did the right thing day 1, which we had the data to do. Long term care residents are getting hit hard. Not even half the states are reporting fully on deaths and cases in long term care institution. My area is doing it sporadically. New Hampshire reported a couple days ago that 77% of deaths were from long term care. Vermont a week ago 47%. Massachusetts is one of the states that does a great job and I have watched it go up from 58% to 61% in the last week. Utah over 50% of the deaths. NY, which just began to figure it out has seen its deaths from nursing homes go from 18% to 25% in a week (reporting changes not actual changes). Florida is around 33% last time they reported. These numbers are mind numbing and are going to go up. Workers in these institutions represent an additional 20% or more of the cases from the few states that track this now. Fortunately, few die, but the bottom line is that weren't protected. Public health officials wasted their time closing schools and crashing our economy instead of doing vertical integration and locking down long term care institutions, requiring masks and stay at home orders for 65 and over, making sure every health care worker had adequate PPD'S starting with the long term care workers, and isolating the ones that did get Covid.

So all those people who think they are carriers going to kill grandma are not seeing what is actually happening, which is grandma in the nursing home is already at serious risk and it is killing them in significant numbers. In short, stay at home orders for the entire population has not protected nursing home residents or workers.

You don’t get it. Isolating the healthy has no value. It just delays what’s going to happen. If you only knew what I’m in charge of and the success we are having.Gotta go long day ahead

It has value. Those healthy would become infected at higher rates and overwhelm the hospital system. Which would cause an even higher mortality rate. Ask Italy.

We isolated, the growth curve flattened. Just as predicted.

Most of these people that have died had underlying issues. They blame it on the Virus but they actually died of cancer, Heart attack, etc...

This virus isn’t a walk in the park but neither is the flu. Many more people die from the flu than the Chinese virus.

Yes comorbidity is a factor with deaths from this virus, just as it is with influenza. But so what? The fact is they died after being infected with COVID. It kicked them into the grave. A lot of people in this country have comorbidity health concerns. Most notable is obesity. 43% of this country is obese.

1) when will the curve be flattened?

2) in NYC, this thing was/is no joke and kills people

3) if you are older than 65, and/or obese, and/or a smoker, and/or a diabetic, and/or have some other co morbidity, this thing is no joke

4) death rate is down

5) I don't live in NYC... It's not bad here in Tampa.

6) will more people die from the reaction to this virus than the virus itself?

7) I have chosen to not trust politicians and the beauraucrats (like fauci)... They are all political in their approach. I wish they all could be fired on the spot.

1. It flattened. We have been at ~22,000 new cases for a couple weeks.
2. Agreed
3. Agreed
4. Death rate has been on decline for roughly 10 days. We will know more how reopening parts of the country affects death rates in 2-3 weeks.
5. It isnt bad where I live neither. But I am under no belief it cant explode here neither.
6. This imo only happens if we have a food supply collapse or the economy collapsed which results in civil strife.
7. I don't trust any politicians. They are self serving jagoff's

Yes comorbidity is a factor with deaths from this virus, just as it is with influenza. But so what? The fact is they died after being infected with COVID. It kicked them into the grave. A lot of people in this country have comorbidity health concerns. Most notable is obesity. 43% of this country is obese.
No doubt. But we don’t stop living because of any of those illnesses or underlying factors. Open the country up and the people that need to stay inside and be cautious can do just that.

Go Noles.

I have said this before and I will say it again. We are sacrificing millions to save thousands. When does the math not add up? If you don't want to risk infection, stay home. Be smart--wear your mask and wash your hands. Social distance. If someone isn't wearing their mask, stay away.

The people who have suffered from the lockdown may never recover. I want to help them and can't help them all. I pass a food line miles long every Tuesday on my way to the train station. Each week the line is getting longer. How bad is it to take your entire family in the middle of the night to sit in your hot car and wait for hours in the heat to get food so you can survive?

I have not seen many people in my office, I am an internal medicine nurse practitioner is south Florida, that I had to test. Of the 15 tested, NONE have been positive. People are going to die, thats a given, and I am torn on what the answer is. But look at the food lines and decide if this is the right thing to do. I am not sure anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has value. Those healthy would become infected at higher rates and overwhelm the hospital system. Which would cause an even higher mortality rate. Ask Italy.

We isolated, the growth curve flattened. Just as predicted.
No one ever said not to flatten the curve and get the hospitals ready. We are past that now.

1. It flattened. We have been at ~22,000 new cases for a couple weeks.

My curve flattening was 10000% sarcastic. The WHOLE PURPOSE of lockdown was to flatten the curve to ease pressure on hospitals, to prevent unnecessary deaths. That's been accomplished. Time to open up, in phases is fine, but they prob need to be more 'aggressive' phases.

Protect those who can't protect themselves, and let's get back to normal.

PS - I wonder how many vulnerable people who are being 'saved', who don't care if they get saved. As an example, we have many 90+ year old people at our church. Some of them experienced this year's Easter at home. I'd be willing to bet that many of them would have said: "I'm 92, I want to be at church, and if it's my time, so be it."

I also wonder how many athletes, both pro and college, really want to NOT play. Do you think Trent Forrest was willing to risk getting sick from coronavirus, so that he could win a national title? I'd be willing to bet...A LOT of athletes would be willing to make that trade.

[QUOTE="mjpwooo, post: 5106398, member: 2230"
I also wonder how many athletes, both pro and college, really want to NOT play. Do you think Trent Forrest was willing to risk getting sick from coronavirus, so that he could win a national title? I'd be willing to bet...A LOT of athletes would be willing to make that trade.[/QUOTE]

I would also bet lots of them already have had the virus and don't even know it. I have done antibody testing on 3 patients and 2 are positive. None of them thought they had the disease (2 are 18 years old and one is 51). Guess who the negative patient was? Yup. The 51 year old.

Reactions: F4Gary
[QUOTE="mjpwooo, post: 5106398, member: 2230"
I also wonder how many athletes, both pro and college, really want to NOT play. Do you think Trent Forrest was willing to risk getting sick from coronavirus, so that he could win a national title? I'd be willing to bet...A LOT of athletes would be willing to make that trade.

I would also bet lots of them already have had the virus and don't even know it. I have done antibody testing on 3 patients and 2 are positive. None of them thought they had the disease (2 are 18 years old and one is 51). Guess who the negative patient was? Yup. The 51 year old.[/QUOTE]

Look, I want to be clear...this thing is no joke, if you're 65+ or have certain pre-existing conditions. Those first two-three weeks, no one knew what the heck was going on. We have a much better idea now, who gets sick, how they get sick, and who's going to die if they get sick.

So, time to sensibly adjust, and let life get back to normal.

The point is this is a different way of recording cause of death than before. My dad died in a nursing home at age 99. What started the cascade of events was an UTI that was left untreated for at least a week. That led to a heart attack and a couple days later a stroke that killed him. You know what was listed on the death certificate bottom line: cerebral infarction (stroke), then myocardial infarction, finally as third cause UTI infection. They have reversed the order, which changes how it is coded (I believe this to be true, but doctor's can chime in with this one) or at least makes it seem like a different cause.

Reactions: F4Gary and goldmom
My curve flattening was 10000% sarcastic. The WHOLE PURPOSE of lockdown was to flatten the curve to ease pressure on hospitals, to prevent unnecessary deaths. That's been accomplished. Time to open up, in phases is fine, but they prob need to be more 'aggressive' phases.

Protect those who can't protect themselves, and let's get back to normal.

PS - I wonder how many vulnerable people who are being 'saved', who don't care if they get saved. As an example, we have many 90+ year old people at our church. Some of them experienced this year's Easter at home. I'd be willing to bet that many of them would have said: "I'm 92, I want to be at church, and if it's my time, so be it."

I know that 3 of the 4 of my wife and mine parents would have loved to die a couple years earlier than they did and actually 2 of them made that clear in conversations with family. The 3rd had Alzheimer's.

The point is this is a different way of recording cause of death than before. My dad died in a nursing home at age 99. What started the cascade of events was an UTI that was left untreated for at least a week. That led to a heart attack and a couple days later a stroke that killed him. You know what was listed on the death certificate bottom line: cerebral infarction (stroke), then myocardial infarction, finally as third cause UTI infection. They have reversed the order, which changes how it is coded (I believe this to be true, but doctor's can chime in with this one) or at least makes it seem like a different cause.

The way of ‘recording’ hasn’t changed. This is an infectious disease, not a UTI.

The vast majority of recorded covid deaths would still be alive if they didn’t have covid.

My Mom had a slightly similar situation, but I can tell you if an aggressive PI lawyer saw a COD with UTI as first on the certificate the nursing home and the Docs would have been sued for negligence.

Reactions: islandmanfb2
You know, I'm a lot more mellow on this board (and in my personal life) than I used to be...I'll just say you might be up past your bedtime very soon, sweetie. Move on. :D

You quoted me. You should've just kept scrolling. Your skills are not what they used to be back when they were a little less than almost mediocre. Enjoy the beautiful weather

I think this fits perfectly for our “tolerant” one...
source.gif

First off anyone that compares this to flu is making a big mistake. We have taken huge methods that we have never taken with the flu to mitigate this virus and we are still where we are now. Another thing different about this disease is the high rate of hospitalizations. In addition I read that if we counted flu deaths the way we do this disease we would average 5 to 12 thousand deaths a year and the flue is not calculated in 13 weeks. It is based on a season which can sometimes take place over more than 1 year. When they talk about the flu pandemics it is usually more than one year. They use algorithms to calculate the flu deaths each year. Years from now when they apply algorithms to this virus it may tell a completely different story.

You don’t get it. Isolating the healthy has no value. It just delays what’s going to happen. If you only knew what I’m in charge of and the success we are having.Gotta go long day ahead
Uh huh....
No value
Ok
Your opinion is even worse than your usual posts.

Reactions: Spearhead04
It's homeS.
I am out there every day contributing to keeping your ass fed. I have had no desire to let people like you, determine what I do any day. You are a hypocrite. Everyone is essential, not just who you or anyone else determines is important
Are you bragging on a collegiate athletic message board that you have more than 1 home? You’re pathetic but you made me laugh. Thanks

Are you bragging on a collegiate athletic message board that you have more than 1 home? You’re pathetic but you made me laugh. Thanks
Is your life that miserable that you have to come on a collegiate athletic message board at 11pm on a Friday night and insult people? Ignore for you.

Reactions: F4Gary and Hogpynn
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT