ADVERTISEMENT

A sensible discussion on climate change/global warming

The mental health aspect of Covid and how people responded to it is quite interesting. Long Covid appears to have a psychiatric component to it. Views on Covid correlate with development of long Covid. Also, psychiatric issues prior to developing Covid predict long Covid.
Long covid. I wonder how they came up with that. I imagine a conversation between Fauci and a few others at a Starbucks.
- You know covid is dying out so we need to come up with something to keep it going, the variants are not working any more. We need something new.
- Like Zika?
- No, that never sticks
- How about Long Covid? Its just covid but it doesnt go away cause you dont want it to.
- Wouldnt the vaccine fix it?
- No that only "prevents serious illness" now remember? If needed we can change the definition later.
- True
- Ok long covid it is. Make sure we tell CNN and MSNBC, and tell CNN to make sure Freddo says he has it too.

Long covid. I wonder how they came up with that. I imagine a conversation between Fauci and a few others at a Starbucks.
- You know covid is dying out so we need to come up with something to keep it going, the variants are not working any more. We need something new.
- Like Zika?
- No, that never sticks
- How about Long Covid? Its just covid but it doesnt go away cause you dont want it to.
- Wouldnt the vaccine fix it?
- No that only "prevents serious illness" now remember? If needed we can change the definition later.
- True
- Ok long covid it is. Make sure we tell CNN and MSNBC, and tell CNN to make sure Freddo says he has it too.
Eh. They put a bunch of money into research very urgently. The question of what are the long term consequences of Covid is a good question to ask. There were some troubling data showing brain volume changes pre and post Covid. But, when you’re trying to sell the significance of a study, you have to look downstream. Eg, does Covid increase risk of Alzheimer’s disease?

You had people who did not require ventilation and did not require hospitalization, did not develop sepsis, who reported longer symptoms of brain fog, etc after covid. This is what is called “long covid.” Might see it as similar to someone reporting long term symptoms after a a mild knock on the head (alteration of consciousness for a few seconds).

Reactions: trunole1
Isn't this thread about climate change? Isn't it time to get over the masking thing?

I grew up in Japan. The older Japanese always wore masks on the trains. It was no big deal.
They still do. Its rather common in Asian cultures to wear masks in public places. The masking thing came up earlier in the thread and got re attacked. But I agree let it go.

Reactions: bcherod
Isn't this thread about climate change? Isn't it time to get over the masking thing?

I grew up in Japan. The older Japanese always wore masks on the trains. It was no big deal.
The maskers were really annoying. I had people arguing ac ventilation patterns and demanding people wear masks alone in their offices. One caring person rebuked me for running outside without a mask. Very much stretching “the science.” I’m sure we are seeing similar with the climate change space. The no oil protestors in Europe… I’m sure they’re all brilliant scientists and not annoying brainless activists.

Last edited by a moderator:

In Japan the rich pay thousands of dollars to eat (fugu) puffer fish too although all it does is kill an occasional person...........just sayin.

• Haha
Reactions: GeddyLee09
In Japan the rich pay thousands of dollars to eat (fugu) puffer fish too although all it does is kill an occasional person...........just sayin.
They also pay to dress in a diaper and get walked through the streets on a leash.

Reactions: fsufool
Even ostensibly knowledgeable scientists weren’t above a little political activism. I wholeheartedly agree with Collins’ last statement. Too bad he didn’t have the insight to realize his own role in that. Embarrassing.

Reactions: fsufool
The FAKE news just did a segment with a conservationist and he said the coral reefs in Florida are disappearing due to climate change water heat.
FIFY Obviously, those large fossil fuel plants in Key West are to blame. lol

Now let me see during the Summer it is Global Warming but during the Winter it is Climate Change. Right?

Wonder how the reefs did in the 1930's?

• Haha
Reactions: BrianNole777
FIFY Obviously, those large fossil fuel plants in Key West are to blame. lol

Now let me see during the Summer it is Global Warming but during the Winter it is Climate Change. Right?

Wonder how the reefs did in the 1930's?
I notice there are less comments about actual data that shows we had severe heat waves in the 30's as well.

The news just did a segment with a conservationist and he said the coral reefs in Florida are disappearing due to climate change water heat.
How do they know that? Obviously they know the reefs are dead but how do they know causation? What are the water temp records in that area? What's the average dating back 150 years? Were there previous coral die off? Its easy to say its my opinion that its caused by global warming but how do they know? Again were looking at a small snapshot of life on this planet compared to the total.

How do they know that? Obviously they know the reefs are dead but how do they know causation? What are the water temp records in that area? What's the average dating back 150 years? Were there previous coral die off? Its easy to say its my opinion that its caused by global warming but how do they know? Again were looking at a small snapshot of life on this planet compared to the total.
I use to dive all over Florida in the 1970s through the 1990s. The only live coral I saw was in Pennecamp and some other parts of the Florida Keys going back to the late 1970s. But even then it was dying off. This did not just happen, but has been happening for 50 years.

I use to dive all over Florida in the 1970s through the 1990s. The only live coral I saw was in Pennecamp and some other parts of the Florida Keys going back to the late 1970s. But even then it was dying off. This did not just happen, but has been happening for 50 years.
Funny that all the articles on the dead coral doesn't mention this at all.

Get to know the work of one of our own, Sylvia Earle.

Agreed. However, if you read the latest articles it makes it seem as if they just died this year due to the high water temps. Thats what im referring to.
Well, that's the media of today and social media. No research using historical data.

The world has made a lot of mistakes. Most of you weren't even alive when the Cuyahoga caught fire.

One of my cousins wrote a book on the history of the James river. In 1970, no shellfish lived in the river. The cleanup of the river began and we now have shellfish again in the river.

Well, that's the media of today and social media. No research using historical data.

The world has made a lot of mistakes. Most of you weren't even alive when the Cuyahoga caught fire.

One of my cousins wrote a book on the history of the James river. In 1970, no shellfish lived in the river. The cleanup of the river began and we now have shellfish again in the river.
In the 1970s Tampa Bay was dead..........nothing lived in there and it was among the 5 most polluted Bay's in the country.

The Cuyahoga caught fire many times at least 12 the famous one being in 1969 (yes I was alive). That and the James river are among many in the US that have undergone massive cleanup efforts.

Reactions: F4Gary
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT