ADVERTISEMENT

WSJ: Why do so many corporate leaders accept the false premises of global warming catastrophism?

surfnole

Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
Snippetts:

"
If it’s an exaggeration to say that the political left has captured corporate America, it’s not much of one. Employees of Fortune 500 companies give money to Republicans and Democrats in roughly equal measure, but corporate support for nonprofits and causes tilts overwhelmingly to the left.

In the age of “stakeholder capitalism” and a collection of multitermed, anodyne-sounding ideologies—ESG (environmental, social and governance), DEI (diversity, equity and inclusion)—the goal is as much to appear righteous as it is to earn money.

Nowhere is this clearer than on the issue on which almost everybody purports to agree: climate. The average letter to shareholders contains obligatory references to the climate “crisis,” claiming the company is doing all it can to stave off doom.
Almost all the governments and corporations of North America and Europe cheerfully endorse some version of the net-zero-by-2050 commitment. Even companies for which that would mean emasculation by governments—ExxonMobil, Dow Chemical—have joined the club.

Two questions seem pertinent. First, why do corporate managers and their spokesmen praise objectives they know to be impossible and, if followed in earnest, deadly to their industries? Second, will anyone in corporate America stand against this crowd?

Peter Huntsman will. He is president, CEO and chairman of Huntsman Corp., a multinational chemical manufacturing company. He has adopted a policy of brutal honesty about climate alarmism and its destructive potential. Mr. Huntsman, 60, has ample reason to worry about the acquiescence of corporate boardrooms to the mental pathologies of 21st-century American politics.
“Think about the year 1970,” Mr. Huntsman says. “That’s the year we hit a trillion-dollar GDP, and the year Jimmy Page and Robert Plant wrote that great song ‘Stairway to Heaven.’ A great year, right? Well today we’re emitting roughly 6,500 million metric tons of CO2. Same thing we were emitting in 1970. And look how much more electricity we’re using, and look how many more transportation and miles we’re driving. We’ve expanded the economy 30 times over, nearly, and core CO2 has stayed flat. We should be celebrating this achievement, shouldn’t we?”
Mr. Huntsman holds up a plastic water bottle: “We can make 10 of these for the amount of plastic we used in one of them a decade ago. . . . I don’t know why we don’t celebrate these accomplishments.”
“Most CEOs I work with are so preoccupied doing their jobs. They’re a few years away from retirement; they’ve got two or three years left to go, and they don’t want to go out and cause a big ruckus that might get them fired, risk their pensions.”
He softens it a little. “I’m not saying that’s bad—that’s human nature. And I think if they were asked and they were put on the spot, they’d say what they honestly believe. But I don’t think most CEOs seek a forum to proudly declare it. They don’t talk about American exceptionalism, American free markets,” he says. “America’s not perfect, we have big problems—I get all that. But the more you travel around the world, you see the progress we’ve made here. No place has come remotely close to what we’ve done in this country, and it seems like people almost want to avoid talking about that.”

Mr. Huntsman first began to entertain doubts about climate orthodoxy in the years after he saw Al Gore’s 2006 documentary, “An Inconvenient Truth.” “His story was so well laid out, so precise,” Mr. Huntsman says. “At certain times, certain events would happen, certain measurements would be reached.” They didn’t and weren’t.

It wasn’t a sudden “Aha” moment, he says, but he began to think about other dire predictions that had people panicked not long ago. “In the ’70s we were going into an ice age. Then we went to acid rain—in six or seven years that was going to destroy all the oak trees and pine trees, and New England would be this deforested area. Then the ozone was going to disappear. And then we got to global warming, and we were all going to fry to death.”
None of that jibed with the real world: “I grew up in Los Angeles. I went back many years later, and I could see the San Gabriel Mountains from the home I grew up in. I don’t remember ever seeing mountains in the home I grew up in. You start thinking. In the early 1970s I lived in Washington, D.C. The Potomac River stunk, it was disgusting. Now the air is cleaner, the rivers are cleaner.”
“I speak from time to time in colleges,” Mr. Huntsman says. “I occasionally get students who say to me, ‘We’re boycotting your industry.’ I tell them, ‘Well, everything from your skateboard to your iPhone, to your clothes, to all those earrings, the makeup you’re wearing, everything—you are a customer. Thank you.’ They think the chemical industry is just plastic bags.”

Mr. Huntsman gestures around the office. “Everything—from the lighting to the paint to the glass, the furniture, the ink on this paper—everything in here comes from petroleum or is tempered by petroleum or powered by it. And look, I’m anxious to get beyond petroleum, but how are we going to do it? What’s the game plan? And how do we do it without screwing the bottom 80% of the world, who just try to make it day to day?”

Last edited:
As I sit in Los Angeles fielding the panicked calls and messages from so many friends and colleagues who are attempting to prepare for the first ever tropical storm warning here while also responding to emails and attempting to reschedule all of my appointments for the next two days due to the unprecedented state of emergency that has been declared here, this particular opinion piece rings very hollow.

Be safe.

Great article OP. @BrainVision be safe. As a Floridian, we deal with these storms all the damn time. You are lucky it's one every hundred years or so. Like Jimmy Buffet said, you shouldn't "try to reason with hurricane season".

GO NOLES!!!

Reactions: BrianNole777
If all Americans would just drive electric vehicles, we could save the earth from apocalyptic climate change. and just maybe, if Al Gore would turn down his A.C. and dim his lights, that would help

It’s a huge rain event in Cali - and the usual panic and overreaction has ensued. That isn’t unique to Cali.
Palm Springs and the high desert are going to feel the effects more than say Malibu with the storm’s turn eastward. The Santa Monica pier is not going to wash away.
While rare, the coast of California has experienced tropical storms before, but this latest one will be spun into the favored mantra of climate change.

I just returned from Malibu a few hours ago, and I saw two totaled cars that had slid off the road and were on their sides. There were several places on the freeway that were flooded to the point of hydroplaning and visibility was maybe four car lengths at most.

The last tropical storm to hit here was 84 years ago, and it killed almost 100 people when the population was a quarter of what it currently is. The Santa Monica pier may not wash away, but this very rare event is having a serious impact on the area, and people are very scared.

Joshua Tree just suffered the second major wildfire in as many years and is about to be completely flooded. These are not normal events.

Oh, we also just had a magnitude 5.5 earthquake about 20 minutes ago.
So? 84 years ago you didn't have the 3 day+ warning you have now.
The high pressure dome over Iowa is pushing Hilary towards Baja and SoCal instead of it heading into Mexico.
It's called "weather".

So: people are really stressed, and some understanding and empathy is not too much to expect. It's called "being a kind person."
Having been through several hurricanes in my lifetime I certainly understand the stress and much of it derives from fear of the unknown. Especially since so few there have ever experienced one.

Having been through several hurricanes in my lifetime I certainly understand the stress and much of it derives from fear of the unknown. Especially since so few there have ever experienced one.
That's very logical and reasonable. Live long and prosper.
Spock

Reactions: goldmom
It’s a huge rain event in Cali - and the usual panic and overreaction has ensued. That isn’t unique to Cali.
Palm Springs and the high desert are going to feel the effects more than say Malibu with the storm’s turn eastward. The Santa Monica pier is not going to wash away.
While rare, the coast of California has experienced tropical storms before, but this latest one will be spun into the favored mantra of climate change.
This is a fascinating and riveting update. Please continue to keep us posted.
From all your friends at the Weather Channel,
Jim "I'm still in love with myself" Cantore

As I sit in Los Angeles fielding the panicked calls and messages from so many friends and colleagues who are attempting to prepare for the first ever tropical storm warning here while also responding to emails and attempting to reschedule all of my appointments for the next two days due to the unprecedented state of emergency that has been declared here, this particular opinion piece rings very hollow.
First ever and unprecedented? Its happened before. Its rare but it happens. But your right people there and everywhere tend to over react to these things. Im sure Jim Cantore is there revving everyone up on the Weather Channel. Be Safe.

Yes, first ever and unprecedented.

"The watch is the first ever issued in Southern California, according to the National Weather Service."

Gov. Newsom declares state of emergency for Southern California ahead of Hilary

I do not know who Jim Cantore is, and I do not think that I have seen the weather channel outside of an airport in 20 years.

Article says nearly unprecedented and the was a storm 84 years ago but ok close enough.

They've got Gov. Newsome over there to protect them, they'll be alright.
This will really wind up the climate change, global warming, pending ice age crowd. Like Gary said, its weather. Its bad weather and stuff we haven't seen in a long time. Heat we haven't seen since the 30's, storms we haven't seen in 84 years. Hmmm

Fortunately no deaths. Some flooding that should quickly recede.
Half the rainfall that Florida often gets during similar events.
Californians by and large heeded warnings and stayed home, therefore avoiding loss of life.

Fortunately no deaths. Some flooding that should quickly recede.
Half the rainfall that Florida often gets during similar events.
Californians by and large heeded warnings and stayed home, therefore avoiding loss of life.
That's the important part. The upside of this heat iin Florida and the El Nino is that its keeping the tropical systems away. I guess there's a silver lining to everything. Although they are lining up now.

Reactions: goldmom
What I described as unprecedented was the declaration of a state of emergency due to a tropical storm in southern California. I am not certain why this is a point of contention.
I'm just pointing out that this has happened before (storms). It goes along with my thoughts on many weather events recently that they have happened before and are cyclic.

The reason I bring this up in this forum is that this unprecedented and first ever storm will be used to further justify the climate change and global warming hysteria.

I'm just pointing out that this has happened before (storms). It goes along with my thoughts on many weather events recently that they have happened before and are cyclic.

The reason I bring this up in this forum is that this unprecedented and first ever storm will be used to further justify the climate change and global warming hysteria.
Isolated incidents are weather, patterns and long term averages are climate. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that 1939 was the last tropical storm out there. The 30’s were a really wonky weather decade (read Dust Bowl). This time it happens to be weather. If it happens 4 out of the next 6 years….we’ll see.

From Wikipedia:

In 1958, tropical cyclone advisories were issued every six hours starting at 04:00 UTC each day. During 1967, hurricane watches were used to designate areas where hurricane conditions were possible in the next 24 hours, while hurricane warnings indicated areas where the hurricane center should cross the coast.

The original poster may seem obsessed but it's one of the few sacred cows of the left that can be discussed on this board.
I call bullshit on this. Try discussing gender identity, vaccines, global warming or even your favorite color on some off these other sites. You may not agree with those charged with moderating, the amount of rope one is given to hang them selves is night and day from anything else attached to an FSU board. I don’t agree with a bunch of what is said on here but am grateful the ability to have discussions is given.

Good question but you’ll also notice the recent intro of “Excessive Heat Warning” these last few weeks.
That’s new as well.
I think there will be an "Excessive Heat Warning" our first home game weekend against those Hattiesburg boys. Still not over the 1989 game in Jax against some guy named Favre. The kickoff temp was 177 degrees and I lost 20 pounds watching that game. Talk about a meltdown. IVs throughout the stands. Their ice wasn't very cold either.

I think there will be an "Excessive Heat Warning" our first home game weekend against those Hattiesburg boys. Still not over the 1989 game in Jax against some guy named Favre. The kickoff temp was 177 degrees and I lost 20 pounds watching that game. Talk about a meltdown. IVs throughout the stands. Their ice wasn't very cold either.
Was there whine with the cheese? 🐭🧀😎

Reactions: MagNoleA
Emphasis on “was”. 😵‍💫
No kidding! I saw Kathleen years later on Law and Order and a couldn’t figure out who she was. Until she started talking. The voice is unmistakable.

Why do you think it's not WSJ? The link shows it. It's not an article because it's an opinion piece?

Never said it was not from the Wall Street Journal, stated it is not an article.
Labeling the thread WSJ implies it is an article versus an Op-Ed piece, which is why the WSJ uses the label " opinion" to differentiate those pieces from everything else.

Why put WSJ and not include that it is an opinion piece?

Never said it was not from the Wall Street Journal, stated it is not an article.
Labeling the thread WSJ implies it is an article versus an Op-Ed piece, which is why the WSJ uses the label " opinion" to differentiate those pieces from everything else.

Why put WSJ and not include that it is an opinion piece?
If it originates from the WSJ then it’s WSJ, which publishes opinions on a regular basis. As a subscriber I get these from…the WSJ. 🤔

Reactions: MagNoleA
If it originates from the WSJ then it’s WSJ, which publishes opinions on a regular basis. As a subscriber I get these from…the WSJ. 🤔

As do I, and the opinion pieces are labeled as opinion, I never said it was not from the WSJ, I stated it was not a WSJ article, which it clearly is not.

It says right there at the beginning of his link, "Opinion". Most of us were able to figure that out without you telling us.

It was not my intention to tell you or anyone else anything. I asked the OP a question about why he would note WSJ while not noting it was an opinion piece in the thread title. It was purposefully done so I was curious about the reasoning.

Good question but you’ll also notice the recent intro of “Excessive Heat Warning” these last few weeks.
That’s new as well.
Actually, no. St Louis has been doing heat advisories and air quality stuff since the '70's. They kept workers from working on tall buildings in STL, as well as air quality..

STL suffers from thermal inversion, which combined with high heat and humidity is a really bad thing, especially for people with respiratory issues. It was always a health issue, never a political issue, although it probably is now.

Actually, no. St Louis has been doing heat advisories and air quality stuff since the '70's. They kept workers from working on tall buildings in STL, as well as air quality..

STL suffers from thermal inversion, which combined with high heat and humidity is a really bad thing, especially for people with respiratory issues. It was always a health issue, never a political issue, although it probably is now.
I remember sitting in Princeton Stadium in 1974 for a preseason exhibition game (Eagles/Giants) when the temp was 98 during the game. Late August about this time.
Thermal inversion was a common descriptive term in that part of the country 50 years ago, well before other climate concerns became common. What was interesting is that just two months later we had snow flurries in South Jersey. Didn’t stick but at the time air pollution was still a bigger deal.

It was not my intention to tell you or anyone else anything. I asked the OP a question about why he would note WSJ while not noting it was an opinion piece in the thread title. It was purposefully done so I was curious about the reasoning.
Going forward I will quote opinion and the post if it's an opinion. Nothing intentional done just an oversight

Damn, NIA, I think you should post some pics of those nits you're picking here. They must be YUGE!. :)

Sorry, it is a pet peeve and the golf is boring so needed something to do. I was going to post a funny pic of a huge nit since you asked, but damn, that turned into a top 5 worst Google image search I have ever done. How could someone live with that many bugs crawling around on their head? 🤮.

• Haha
Reactions: seminoleed
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT