ADVERTISEMENT

ANOTHER New Footie Thread

Beyond disappointing--that was mortifying. Now we know why Chelsea let Cech go. Josie must be laughing is ass off today. Horrible performance.

I doubt he's laughing too hard as the Blues have their own problems. Chelsea's staring one point through two matches in the face with a visit to Etihad without Courtois looming. This just further illustrates how getting three points is so important regardless of form.

Obviously, Cech was part a of brilliant Trojan horse scheme by Mourinho. He was dreadful. But with the exception of the Ox, everyone was awful. Three things are clear: 1) Cech may not be the solution at goalkeeper we had hoped for. 2) Arsenal need a fit Sanchez. Even a half-fit Sanchez today looked better than those around him. 3) Wenger needs to spend some money to get Benzema.

Arsenal looked like the 2014-2015 Arsenal team at the start of the year, not the team that finished the season. I really don't understand how they have 61% of the ball, take 19 shots, with only a handful on target. Stats like that scream for a better option at Striker, though that clearly wasn't the only issue today. I just hope they get it figured out before they dig themselves too much of a hole.

As an aside, I'm a bit worried that Chelsea will be 4 points behind United after matchday 2. United go to Villa (on Friday) and Chelsea go to City. I'm hoping for a draw right now and am expecting United to win.

Also, if City don't win better than 4-2 on Monday (at the Hawthornes) Leicester City will still be top of the table. Relegation be damned.

Why does United play on Friday? I know they will have a mid-week play in game for Champions league, but I don't recall Arsenal getting a Friday game before playing their matches last year in the same situation? Am I wrong about that?

Aston Villa's Premier League clash with Manchester United has been moved to Friday 14 August - despite the TV deal for Friday night matches not starting until the 2016-17 season.

The two teams were due to face off on Saturday 15 August, but police have rearranged the match for security reasons.

An English Defence League march is scheduled to take place on the Saturday, and police requested the fixture to be changed to avoid possible altercations.

It is understood that no other Premier League match will take place on a Friday night this season.

Why does United play on Friday? I know they will have a mid-week play in game for Champions league, but I don't recall Arsenal getting a Friday game before playing their matches last year in the same situation? Am I wrong about that?

What Jax said, this is an Aston Villa issue and not a United issue. The teams can't play the following Tuesday because of United's CL playoff.

Cech will be fine wouldnt be worried at all. The arsensl offense is the worry.

Benzema getting a medical and also Pedro to United heating up.

Everton embarassing and now may unload their top top youngster Stones to Chelsea. Who would Mourinhi bench?

Cech WILL be fine. Not worried about him at all.

Benzema wouldn't have made a difference against West Ham. He WILL make a difference on the year if he's signed though.

A fit Sanchez is obviously our biggest need, and that will come in short order.

Pedro will be a great signing for ManU...much bigger than DePay.

Everton embarassing and now may unload their top top youngster Stones to Chelsea. Who would Mourinhi bench?

Read yesterday that Pedro could stay longer because Neymar has the mumps. Can't Messi and Saurez handle the first couple of matches?

Just read that he has completed the first part of a medical and Janujaz is headed to Sunderland on a loan if Pedro comes to United.

Read yesterday that Pedro could stay longer because Neymar has the mumps. Can't Messi and Saurez handle the first couple of matches?

Just read that he has completed the first part of a medical and Janujaz is headed to Sunderland on a loan if Pedro comes to United.

I just read about Pedro staying longer due to Neymar's mumps as well. If, in fact, he has started his medical... that's great news. Same for Janujaz getting some more first team experience. I haven't heard anything about a CB lately... have you seen anything? I feel like we put all of our eggs in the Ramos basket (which we have been doing lately) and got snubbed.

Yeah seeing how barcelona avoided the madrids in these cups they really wont need neymar first 3 games. Itll be messi and suarez pad stats games.

Depay i think will be fantastic but United need more offensive skill around him and Pedro would help.

With spain and others starting so late i think most transfers wont happen for another week or two, once a lot of guys see theyre not playing first game in a Euros year they'll be bolting by sep. Many need to impress

Stones would be 4th choice CB for Chelsea. He's a long term investment should he sign.

Thanks.
Can someone now explain why every six months Sirius moves their channels around? Its dumb.

Cleague final playoff round is next week. Cant believe Rapid Wien knocked out Ajax away last round and de boer kept his job.

Madrid, arsenal and city are two seeds for draw the end of august. Europa dynasty Sevilla is a 3.

Speaking of so glad i didnt tape Sevilla Barca cup today. Wow!!!

--Public Service Announcement--

SiriusXM FC is moving from channel 94 to Channel 85 on August 13th.

I wish they would bring back talkSports with Durham and Gough at lunchtime. Lot of discussion of EPL. Sure, the occasional cricket and rugby talk, but mostly EPL.

Watched the whole Barca - Sevilla Super Cup match.

Fell asleep at one point when it was 4-1 Barca, then Sevilla stormed back to tie it 4-4.

Messi played the whole 120 minutes. When does La Liga start? I was pretty surprised they left him out there the whole time for what is ultimately probably the highest profile friendly there is.

Aug 22. Plus christmas break was kept.
Soooo, la liga teams will be playing catch up all spring, especially the big teams, and will be dead for Euros. Spain deserves to go out of Euros early for letting the federation screw the players again.

As crazy as the boxing day week is for EPL they also started earlier this year so the players have tons of days off this spring by comparison

Awesome value chart!

Everton! Im stunned though southampton were a mess. Lukaku and barkley actually looked motivated.

Everton still needs CBs. They have 7 wing backs and 2 CB on first team including Stones. Martinez must have a master transfer plan im not aware of at CB.

If I wasn't a Gooner, I'd be a Crystal Palace supporter. Arguably the best fans in England!

That said I'll take a 2-1 win at Selhurst Park all day every day.

Viva Los Goons!

Awesome value chart!

Everton! Im stunned though southampton were a mess. Lukaku and barkley actually looked motivated.

Everton still needs CBs. They have 7 wing backs and 2 CB on first team including Stones. Martinez must have a master transfer plan im not aware of at CB.

They were just talking on Sirius 85 about Everton only having 2 CB's and now with Baines out for 3 months that Stones wants to go to Chelsea and now it looks like Everton will have to sell Stones to bring in reinforcements before the deadline.

They also called Chelsea's performance as putrid and started to make a big deal about Terry being yanked at halftime.

They were just talking on Sirius 85 about Everton only having 2 CB's and now with Baines out for 3 months that Stones wants to go to Chelsea and now it looks like Everton will have to sell Stones to bring in reinforcements before the deadline.

They also called Chelsea's performance as putrid and started to make a big deal about Terry being yanked at halftime.

It was putrid! :(

I'm starting to wonder where Josie will be coaching next year? I think he's liable to wear out his welcome at Chelsea this season, especially with his whining and calling the loss "false" in his post-game presser. That on top of his attack on the medical staff earlier has all the marking of an "Adios" season.
But he clearly snookered The Arsenal, acting like he didn't want to lose Cech and how it wasn't his decision. Cech has now given up 3 soft goals already, and looks nothing like what myself and other Gooners were expecting.

I'm starting to wonder where Josie will be coaching next year? I think he's liable to wear out his welcome at Chelsea this season, especially with his whining and calling the loss "false" in his post-game presser. That on top of his attack on the medical staff earlier has all the marking of an "Adios" season.
But he clearly snookered The Arsenal, acting like he didn't want to lose Cech and how it wasn't his decision. Cech has now given up 3 soft goals already, and looks nothing like what myself and other Gooners were expecting.

He called the scoreline false because it was. 3-0 was b/c of how Chelsea had to open up at the end and City was able to get a couple to add to the tally. Hazard doesn't miss the easy chance at 1-1, that's likely the final result.

All gaffers will talk that way b/c they know if they sit back and are happy with a 1-0 loss it'll look worse. Have to go for an equalizer and leave yourself exposed at the back, which Chelsea did and it cost them. Not the first time, won't be the last.

As for where Mourinho will be managing next year, it'll be Chelsea. He just signed a 4 year contract (2 year extension onto the 2 he had remaining) this summer.

Yeah I don't think there's any doubt where he'll be coaching.

I also don't think there's any doubt that there is about to be £75-100 million worth of panic buying about to take place at Chelsea as the transfer deadline approaches.

Yup im waiting for a huge abramovich check to be written this week.
Only two games but glad to see epl teams attacking Chelsea instead of packing it in. Keep it up!

Arsenal with a tough win but that team still gas issues. Their defense just isnt top flight and Cazorla and Ozil keep giving The ball away like theyre confused, especially Ozil.
Cech i didnt think was at fault for that goal at all, great strike.

Stones has 3 years left on his everton deal hes not stupid enough to wound his Euro chances by going to sit at Chelsea and not make Britain. Everton hold all the power now just need to add a few CBs who can take stones place in a year or two. Stones had a great game this weekend they cant lose him now and would be idiots to.

Btw the Baines issue illustrates a big mistake by Everton. They should have sold him 2 years ago to United when they were grabbing all his replacements, they quibbled over a few million and kept him. instead he looked 40 last season and was dreadful and is among highest wages on team. Now theyre stuck paying him and even if fit theyve got a boatload of talented wing backs who need minutes.

Yup im waiting for a huge abramovich check to be written this week.
Only two games but glad to see epl teams attacking Chelsea instead of packing it in. Keep it up!

Arsenal with a tough win but that team still gas issues. Their defense just isnt top flight and Cazorla and Ozil keep giving The ball away like theyre confused, especially Ozil.
Cech i didnt think was at fault for that goal at all, great strike.

Stones has 3 years left on his everton deal hes not stupid enough to wound his Euro chances by going to sit at Chelsea and not make Britain. Everton hold all the power now just need to add a few CBs who can take stones place in a year or two. Stones had a great game this weekend they cant lose him now and would be idiots to.

I'm confused by the Ozil comments above. Every place I have read reviews have had good things to say about his performance yesterday. Some stats I read were 54 of 55 passes completed, 37 of 38 were in the final third. He created 5 chances.

Ozil was awesome vs Crystal Palace - arguably MOTM, and I'll take Santi just the way he is. If Arsenal have issues, (and sure they DO) it's not w/those two guys.

Ozil had 8-10 awful crosses or decisions in trandition where he missed an Arsenal player, those stats(which i saw on Arsenal site) are not accurate unless they dont count cross field passes as passes. His defensive effort was find.
Cazorla im sure will be fine prob early fitness issues there.

Cech will improvve with the defense just needs games.

Btw the Baines issue illustrates a big mistake by Everton. They should have sold him 2 years ago to United when they were grabbing all his replacements, they quibbled over a few million and kept him. instead he looked 40 last season and was dreadful and is among highest wages on team. Now theyre stuck paying him and even if fit theyve got a boatload of talented wing backs who need minutes.

I wish that had come true then Luke Shaw would've been at Chelsea at a lot lower wage rate. Transfer fee probably would've been in the same area, but lower wage rate was the reason Chelsea got out of that transfer race last summer. Got close to £100k/wk when Chelsea was only willing to go in the area of £40-50K/wk. Transfer fee isn't that big a deal since it's reduced over time and since Shaw is so young he likely would have been a guy that had multiple contract extensions to reduce the fee/yr or even be sold late on for a profit.

Chelsea did finally sign LB Baba Rahman yesterday for ~€20M with add ons that could raise it to as high as €35M. Still want another CB (like having 4 not counting Ivanovic) so that in eg. the Capitol One Cup none of the starters have to play. Would love to sign another RB for that same reason, though not expecting it and can play U18s Ola Aina there.

Would also like to sign another player in the DM/CM role, but as long as we have both Ramires and Mikel am not expecting it.

Nice win by Liverpool. Coutinho has really improved. If they can get another creative guy to throw at defenses coukd be a great season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT