ADVERTISEMENT

ANOTHER New Footie Thread

hans-and-franz-snl-dana-carvey-and-kevin-nealon-pump-you-up.jpg

Same here guys. I've got s feeling it's going to a hell of a match... hope it goes the way of the good guys.

GGMU!!

I'll say it again...if I wasn't a Gooner, I'd be a Palace supporter. Love their fans! And Pardew has them playing a very attractive breed of football.

So far 0-0 in the 32nd minute but the Palace movement and possession is superior so far.

Going to miss the Man City/Newcastle match as I've got to go to my girlfriend's son's soccer match. I hope Newcastle can continue the City free-fall though.

And I hope we beat Wake Forest 60-0 today!

So, apparently Arsenal is the only team Mourhino can still beat. Would be amazed if he isn't fired.

Sigh..... Congrats Gunners! What a crazy, unpredictable EPL year so far. Is the Special One next?

Rodgers out at Liverpool and Advovaat out at Sunderland.

I wonder if Fenway Sports Group has a deal in place w/Klopp already. Hard to believe they'd fire Rodgers w/out his successor already known? Unless maybe they think they're racing Chelsea to Klopp and want to give themselves dibs before Jose gets canned.

I cannot believe some of the results from this weekend. I was going nuts watching the Arsenal game. My wife was wondering how many times they were going to show a replay of the goal until I told her it wasn't the same goal.

I am not happy Rogers is out at Liverpool, but what can I do. I cannot imagine they don't have someone pretty much hired already, but with an International Break starting tonight, they do have a little time to get someone in place. I hope it isn't Klopp, but I am thinking it is better than 50% going to be him.

As for Jose, he probably has another month or so to try and turn it around. If he doesn't have a good couple weeks after the International Break, he will be gone as well.

I agree Klopp deal must be already in place.
Martinez and everton blow another home game but Rodgers gets canned, strange.

Crazy weekend for sure.
And Barcelona actually lost a game, real were awful vs atletico. Benitez isnt going to last until January.

Klopp has said that he'd go to Liverpool if the scrapped their "transfers board". Would be interesting if they gave him carte blanche.

And Barcelona actually lost a game, real were awful vs atletico. Benitez isnt going to last until January.

Yup, Barca loses again, and Real has given up 3 goals all year and they've dropped 6 points because of the 3 draws, including TWO nil-nil matches. Rafa = Moyes on triple valium!

I would rather not see Klopp at Pool, but I have a feeling that is who they will hire.

I would rather not see Klopp at Pool, but I have a feeling that is who they will hire.

Hopefully Klopp ends up at Bayern or Real, and Rafa goes back to Liverpool. The Liverpool fans really want Rafa back.

Just one guy's opinion, but after his shot at Klinsman today, what little respect I had left for Donovan is officially gone.

What a f*cking cry baby, unbelievable. He is basically publicly rooting for Mexico. There's a difference between showing up out of shape and having lost a bunch of steps and wasn't with the team for qualifying and the team struggling a bit and losing to some of the best teams in the world. The US had a string of decent Euro results and between the injuries and lack of depth, US soccer is still a way aways, but they have really improved under Klinsmann.

I'm a new fan to EPL. My second season watching and you guys told me I'd be a good Liverpool fan based on my like of historic old stadiums, being a Red Sox fan, etc. I've devoured as much info as I can. Been following the Liverpool since last December. The whole league really. Love every bit of it. From everything I've been reading I am really hoping they get this Klopp guy. Liverpool seems to me to be underachieving.

I'm a new fan to EPL. My second season watching and you guys told me I'd be a good Liverpool fan based on my like of historic old stadiums, being a Red Sox fan, etc. I've devoured as much info as I can. Been following the Liverpool since last December. The whole league really. Love every bit of it. From everything I've been reading I am really hoping they get this Klopp guy. Liverpool seems to me to be underachieving.

Sounds like you'll get your wish on Thursday. Reports are that Klopp will be announced as their coach Thursday. For all his faults (those of you who think Mourinho is volatile, I'm sure Timmy will back me up here and agree that Klopp makes Mourinho look stoic), Klopp sticks with his system to a fault. I can't recall ever seeing his BVB teams to anything other than Attack! Attack! Attack!

I'll be interested to see how he lines them up since Klopp favours the 4-2-3-1. Will he keep Can as a RB or move him to his more natural box-to-box MF position, and if so line him up next to Henderson (when healthy)? Coutinho in the 10 hole seems natural, but who to use as the wingers? Go with Ibe for a bunch of games?

My guess is when healthy he'd line them up as:

Clyne, Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno
Henderson, Can
Firmino, Coutinho, Lallana
Sturridge

with decent attacking options of Ibe, Allen, Benteke, Milner off the bench. Klopp seems to favour a playmaker with the ability to finish from the 10 eg. BVB's Kagawa (sorry Manch) or Goetze with the 2 attacking wingers as players to will cut in eg. Reus. That's why I'd guess he'd move Firmino out wide as player who starts deeper but finishes in the box a lot. Former Chelsea winger Andre Schurlle would'be looked good in his system.

One thing's for sure, he'll have his team in shape and willing to run for the full 90 week in, week out. Now, doing that in the PL is much different that in the Bundesliga if for no other reason that there are 38 matches vs 34 and no winter break plus 2 cup competitions instead of just 1. Will be interested to see if all out attack will work come March/April or if his teams' will have no legs left.

I'd expect Liverpool to make some moves in Jan. incl. perhaps buying some BVB players eg. Gungoden. I'm assuming they'll give him a big kitty in the summer (or he wouldn't have taken the job) to buy some players for his system. Not sure what they'll do with some of the guys that don't really fit (can't take a loss on everybody). I wouldn't be surprised if they try to make a couple of huge moves in the summer to make a big splash to show that they are serious about competing for UCL spot eg. Gareth Bale (don't think Reus will leave Germany) and/or maybe Mario Goetze (seems like he wants to leave Bayern). FWIW, I think Bale would do great under Klopp, and having Coutinho, Sturridge and Bale would be a scary prospect to face.

I little off topic here, but I think Goetze will move this summer and it's probably the right time for him to do so. As of this writing, I make Bayern the UCL favourite. They look like they'll smash through everyone. Poor (he he, sorry couldn't type that with a straight face) Arsenal get them the next 2 matchdays as well.

Reactions: DeputyDodge
Rishi, that was some good stuff, thanks for posting that.

On Kagawa, I loved him at United and would have loved to see him play for SAF for a few more years, as Moyes did not use him the way SAF did.

Im surprised u guys dont agree with Donovan, all he said was accurate and thats his job to analyze now and make our easy to please soccer media put their thinking caps on. Jurgen is an egomeniacal psycho, hes the German Mourinho but his sparkling smile and anerican ties to CA still woos the audiences here. Hed have been fired long ago anywhere else.

Jurgen cut Landon before WC(rumored stories about this are crazy, nothing to do with skill Jurgen just wanted to prove he was king while crushing the teams chances of going farther), (tim howard hints about Jurgens hatred for Donovan are gonna be a best selling book in a few years) coached the biggest US disaster in 25 years last summers gold cup. And his teenage/club signing tactics have created zero future Donovans. Usa is awful at developing talent under him with all his Gulati based changes.

Is USA better now than day Jurgen hired? Yikes........

Its a lose lose game i wont watch vs mexico. Rant over.
Go Netherlands!

Sounds like you'll get your wish on Thursday. Reports are that Klopp will be announced as their coach Thursday. For all his faults (those of you who think Mourinho is volatile, I'm sure Timmy will back me up here and agree that Klopp makes Mourinho look stoic), Klopp sticks with his system to a fault. I can't recall ever seeing his BVB teams to anything other than Attack! Attack! Attack!

I'll be interested to see how he lines them up since Klopp favours the 4-2-3-1. Will he keep Can as a RB or move him to his more natural box-to-box MF position, and if so line him up next to Henderson (when healthy)? Coutinho in the 10 hole seems natural, but who to use as the wingers? Go with Ibe for a bunch of games?

My guess is when healthy he'd line them up as:

Clyne, Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno
Henderson, Can
Firmino, Coutinho, Lallana
Sturridge

with decent attacking options of Ibe, Allen, Benteke, Milner off the bench. Klopp seems to favour a playmaker with the ability to finish from the 10 eg. BVB's Kagawa (sorry Manch) or Goetze with the 2 attacking wingers as players to will cut in eg. Reus. That's why I'd guess he'd move Firmino out wide as player who starts deeper but finishes in the box a lot. Former Chelsea winger Andre Schurlle would'be looked good in his system.

One thing's for sure, he'll have his team in shape and willing to run for the full 90 week in, week out. Now, doing that in the PL is much different that in the Bundesliga if for no other reason that there are 38 matches vs 34 and no winter break plus 2 cup competitions instead of just 1. Will be interested to see if all out attack will work come March/April or if his teams' will have no legs left.

I'd expect Liverpool to make some moves in Jan. incl. perhaps buying some BVB players eg. Gungoden. I'm assuming they'll give him a big kitty in the summer (or he wouldn't have taken the job) to buy some players for his system. Not sure what they'll do with some of the guys that don't really fit (can't take a loss on everybody). I wouldn't be surprised if they try to make a couple of huge moves in the summer to make a big splash to show that they are serious about competing for UCL spot eg. Gareth Bale (don't think Reus will leave Germany) and/or maybe Mario Goetze (seems like he wants to leave Bayern). FWIW, I think Bale would do great under Klopp, and having Coutinho, Sturridge and Bale would be a scary prospect to face.

I little off topic here, but I think Goetze will move this summer and it's probably the right time for him to do so. As of this writing, I make Bayern the UCL favourite. They look like they'll smash through everyone. Poor (he he, sorry couldn't type that with a straight face) Arsenal get them the next 2 matchdays as well.

Thank you Rishi, that's the kind of commentary I'm looking for.

I honestly think that Donovan is a whiny prima donna who thought that he should have been on the team because he scored that crucial goal against Algeria in 2010. Klinsmann could have cut him because he didn't like him, and I'd be pissed at him too for not going to the EPL and staying in LA instead. Of course, Klinsmann could have cut him because LD chose not to participate in qualifying and then showed up to camp resting on his laurels where he was out of shape, lost a step and had a piss poor attitude. The MLS legend's best days were behind him. Donovan wasn't hungry anymore and even admitted that he didn't set personal goals anymore, which told me that he was coasting to the finish line.

The US players were fighting for the right to play against Nigeria, Portugal and Germany while Donovan was fighting for something in Cambodia, fighting through a midlife crisis? When LD reported to camp (the US soccer camp, not a tree hugging camp in Battambang), Michael Bradley won the grueling "beep" test, a physical test that was usually won by LD. Bradley wins the beep test, and Klinsmann wins the "bleep you" test.

JK is an arrogant SOB who came over here to show us how it is done, and he needs to get things back on track, his arrogance and ego might cost him his job, just as it did to LD.

I did not miss LD in 2014, and perhaps the US could have sneaked past Belgium 1-0 with LD on the pitch, then again, Belgium could have won 2-0 with the MLS King on the pitch.

I do not know who is in charge of player development here in the US, but it sucks and needs to be blown up and rebuilt from the ground up. The US needs academies and not the same 'ole suit and ties hand picking players for the U14's...16's...18's....

There was an interesting article on Grantland the other day about Jordan Morris, the USWNT player from Stanford. Lots of discussion about the problem college presents to the advancement of US soccer. My takeaway is that college soccer is better for the individual player (not in developing into an elite player, but in preparing the player for real life), whereas the academy system is better for developing a national program. In the latter, the players on average would be better trained but still there are only a handful of players that develop into elite players.

If you think about other sports in the US, baseball might be closest in that many of the best players who jump straight from high school into the minor leagues. Football is basically the same, except we hold onto the notion of "student-athletes" and in basketball we have the one year from HS rule. All of these sports are full of players who aren't going to college anyway, or view pro sports as the ticket out of poverty. I wonder if players and parents view soccer in the US as just a game to be enjoyed, and not a realistic way of making a living. Certainly you aren't going to get rich in the MLS.

I'll always choose Team Jurgen over Team Landon.

Donovan is a quitter and it's not conicidence he quit very shortly after being left off of the USA roster. Jurgen knew something noone else did then.

Donovan finished second in that beep test that camp, and Jurgen made him work his way back with the B team summer before. He was mvp of and won the gold cup. He could not have done anymore, Jurgen just wanted to publicly embarrass him, its all about Jurgen. Assistant coach that camp paraphrase, also said by Howard and Bradley before cut "landon is so much better than the rest its scary if he gets hurt and misses world cup we're in trouble." And cut.

Amyway, ireland over germany! But germans have georgia so theyll win group. Ireland vs poland for auto bid

kooter, agree to disagree with you on this!

And Northern Ireland gets in, also!!!!! Netherlands are screwed! I didn't look up any scores yet, but I think that I heard that Brazil got spanked by Chile and Argentina lost to Ecuador in World Cup qualifying?

Brazil (without Neymar) did lose to Chile, 2-0, on Matchday 1 and Argentina (without Messi and did Aguero get hurt in the 24th...Tevez came on for him) lost at home, 2-0, to Ecuador. Ouch, not a good start for the two super powers down there! Uruguay, without Cavani and Suarez, beat Bolivia, 2-0.

The Netherlands is done, they need to beat the Czechs and Turkey needs to draw/lose to Iceland at Konya, Turkey. Iceland and the Czechs have already qualified. Does finishing 1 or 2 matter in terms of seeding for Euro 16? If it doesn't matter, I think Turkey beats Iceland, heck, Iceland just might forfeit rather than risk going into Turkey, where the soccer team is more armed than the national Army.

St. Louis lost today, as did the Bruins but the USA are tied and FSU is up 10, but should be up 20. I have never had my favorite teams go 0-4 on the same day.

At least I am not watching the games alone tonight. Today, we brought my son's ashes home and he is sitting right here with me, doing the Warchant and calling Mexico every name in the book!!!

I agree on Altidore. However it isn't just him. IMO, this team just isn't very good.
I knew going in they would want to counter attack most of the game, but to do that you need to be able to pass the ball out of your own end. Both Altidore and Dempsey were invisible most of this game. I don't even know what to say about the back line. They played well at times and fell asleep at times.

As I type this, Bobby Wood levels the score. Fantastic play from him and Yedlin. We'll see if they can finish this off now.

When it was 1-1, I was texting my buddy that they should play like they are down 3-1. Altidore off, and BOOM, or should I say WOOD!

The US midfield tonight flat out sucked and if Howard is on the roster, he should never sit, period!

That Wood goal must have wiped that smug smile off of Donovan's Mexico cheering ass.

Just as we don't have 3 quality strikers, we don't have 3 quality commentators? Who is the girl commentating? Is her job to point out the obvious? She is horrible and I'd actually prefer to listen to Ray Hudson.

images

F*ck, F*ck, F*ck.

Not a hand on any of the 3 goals and Howard is on the bench, F*ck!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT