ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone cut the cable completely?

Went to my buddies for Rose Bowl who cut cord. It was a commercial for staying with DTV. Feed kept going out, HD was fuzzy and had to reset router bunch of times. Paying DTV $95 per month is much easier.
What service did he have? Sounds like he has crappy internet and wi-fi.

PSVUE with Spectrum. His house is 5k sq ft with kids & friends all over streaming.
If he's not running ethernet to the device running PS Vue, that's the problem. Probably flaky wi-fi. PS Vue is very reliable for me with Comcast Blast Plus (75 mbps?), which is nothing exceptional these days. But it's hardwired to my Roku TV, and the Nvidia Shield attached to the same tv, which is what I'm now using for streaming.

If he's not running ethernet to the device running PS Vue, that's the problem. Probably flaky wi-fi. PS Vue is very reliable for me with Comcast Blast Plus (75 mbps?), which is nothing exceptional these days. But it's hardwired to my Roku TV, and the Nvidia Shield attached to the same tv, which is what I'm now using for streaming.
if he's running wireless AC in mesh (google wifi, eero etc.) then that will be quite an improvement over most wired systems these days. it's nice to have gig-E running hard wired all over the home but even then you sometimes get hampered by 10/100 devices being connected to it.

Has anyone heard of SET Tv (setvnow.com)? I have a friend who spoke about it and I tried it out. They have a 3 day free trial and you have access to every sports game imaginable (likely every FSU game with any sport that's being broadcast) and almost every cable channel. I watched the dolphins play against the chargers in week 1 on the west coast. It was not quite as clear as HD cable when the camera would pan on deep passes, but for $20/month with all the channels its not a bad deal. It has an interface like cable tv. It does not have DVR, but tv shows can be watched on demand at no charge. I have not pulled the trigger on it though, I don't know how or if it's legal.

Has anyone heard of SET Tv (setvnow.com)? I have a friend who spoke about it and I tried it out. They have a 3 day free trial and you have access to every sports game imaginable (likely every FSU game with any sport that's being broadcast) and almost every cable channel. I watched the dolphins play against the chargers in week 1 on the west coast. It was not quite as clear as HD cable when the camera would pan on deep passes, but for $20/month with all the channels its not a bad deal. It has an interface like cable tv. It does not have DVR, but tv shows can be watched on demand at no charge. I have not pulled the trigger on it though, I don't know how or if it's legal.

Not legal. There are a lot of these out there, and they have been for a while. In some cases, the service and quality can be very, very good. In other cases it's terrible. Sometimes it alternates. Sometimes they load up on year-long subscriptions and then disappear, by their own volition or not.

For a long time these were very under the radar, but they've gotten bolder and bolder. This one is pretty bold. I'd bank on either them getting wiped out and you losing your money, or it's a huge push to sign up as many people as possible and disappear, only to resurface later as something else and do it again, in which case you also lose your money. And $20/mo is not a very good price for something like this, which makes me think they are pushing to sign up as many people as possible who know nothing about this and don't know it's illegal.

The way these are set up is there are streamers who create the streams off cable, and then there are resellers who license/package them. So something like SetTV doesn't even have to invest in the considerable equipment, servers, etc required to make this possible, they'll just license streams from an illegal stream provider. That makes it a fairly low investment, and fairly easy for them to walk away from it with your money.

It can take a lot of digging to figure out, but if someone was going to subscribe to one of these, which they absolutely shouldn't because it's illegal, it's by far the best to try to buy from an actual stream provider and not just a reseller, because a stream provider has serious skin in the game. I would also resist the temptation to buy the great one-year specials that get offered, and pay more to go month to month, as these things can purposely fly-by-night, apps can stop working and not be updated, they can be shut down by law enforcement, and they can even be taken down by a competitor DDOS or other hack. And of course...you're giving your credit card info to a company that is by definition criminal, so if you're not familiar with bitcoin, you'll want to get familiar.

All that is for entertainment purposes only. I have absolutely no reason to know all of this and have no familiarity with the concept of these services.

Reactions: Bsims01
References a skinny bundle and doesn't mention recording capability, but it won't cost anything to check out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT