ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone cut the cable completely?

Until I can get a DVR option that lets me go through commercials, I can’t see myself cutting the cord. Tried Vue, but they replaced anything I recorded with On demand where I had no choice but to watch commercials.

I know Hulu has an option to pay more to go commercial free, but they didn’t have all the channels I wanted.

Waiting to see what DirecTV now offers with their DVR when it comes online early next year. Right now they have all the channels I want, but no DVR option.

Reactions: daveynole
Until I can get a DVR option that lets me go through commercials, I can’t see myself cutting the cord. Tried Vue, but they replaced anything I recorded with On demand where I had no choice but to watch commercials.

I know Hulu has an option to pay more to go commercial free, but they didn’t have all the channels I wanted.

Waiting to see what DirecTV now offers with their DVR when it comes online early next year. Right now they have all the channels I want, but no DVR option.

I have Vue, and I’m able to fast forward on the shows I record. Additionally, I’m able to start a live show over and fast forward during it.

Same here. In fact, when I use Vue through Amazon Fire I can use Alexa and verbally fast forward through commercials. Still working on getting the timing right but its been a great addition.

All you have to do is hold the microphone button and say, 'fast forward 3 mins' and it goes forward 3 mins. Its great for watching something like Top Chef.

EDIT - I will say the first time you try it, Alexa will come back and tell you that feature is now activated then its good to go.

Just cut the cable. I have an indoor antenna for local channels, and Roku and Sling for everything else. I'm intrigued by the new Youtube TV because it offers the traditional broadcast channels in some markets, and the rest of the mix is a good mix of the most popular cable channels and cable sports channels. I'd be interested in feedback from anyone who's giving Youtube TV a try.

Just cut the cable. I have an indoor antenna for local channels, and Roku and Sling for everything else. I'm intrigued by the new Youtube TV because it offers the traditional broadcast channels in some markets, and the rest of the mix is a good mix of the most popular cable channels and cable sports channels. I'd be interested in feedback from anyone who's giving Youtube TV a try.
I tried it when they rolled out in Atlanta a few months back. I could only cast it from my phone using Chromecast, and I had the old version of Chromecast. Even so, I liked it for the most part. At that price point I thought they had a really good lineup, especially for sports fans. The only channels I'd miss are the Time Warner channels. They also now have apps for Anroid devices, but I'm sticking with PS Vue for now. It's still the best all around streaming service, in my opinion.

Yep, agree with the PS Vue being the best option at this time. For movies I'll use Netflix and Hulu.

I read a report today that indicated that DirectTV Now will launch DVR support in January. If and when it does, I will most likely make the change to DTV from Vue.

Cost and locals.

I should elaborate on cost.

When I signed up for Vue, my cost was $29.99. The cost has gone up to $39.99 with no additional value or service. I’m not a fan of companies raising cost without improving the service or value.

When I signed up for Vue, my cost was $29.99. The cost has gone up to $39.99 with no additional value or service. I’m not a fan of companies raising cost without improving the service or value.
I get that, but they have added locals to most markets. I now have all of the locals in Atlanta. What channels you need, how many devices, DVR are considerations. For me, PSVUE at $45 for the Core package meets my channel/DVR needs. I just checked Directv Now and I'd need to bump up to the $50 package, so it's more expensive. I don't even know how the DVR will be incorporated. Will it be included in the price, or an add-on like Sling? I might consider YouTube TV after March Madness just to save $10 a month. I like their lineup and they have an Android app for my Nvidia Shield TV now.

Be careful with DirecTV, they are pretty well known for rolling their prices up. I had them for 2 years and they like to nickel and dime customers.

I read a report today that indicated that DirectTV Now will launch DVR support in January. If and when it does, I will most likely make the change to DTV from Vue.

I’m currently doing beta testing of the DirectTV Now app with cloud DVR. I would be rather surprised if it’s ready to go in January. Right now they only have the app ready for beta on PC and iOS devices; no firestick or roku yet. And not so surprisingly, since beta started maybe 3 weeks ago, the iOS DVR is still rather buggy.

I’m currently doing beta testing of the DirectTV Now app with cloud DVR. I would be rather surprised if it’s ready to go in January. Right now they only have the app ready for beta on PC and iOS devices; no firestick or roku yet. And not so surprisingly, since beta started maybe 3 weeks ago, the iOS DVR is still rather buggy.

I’m not sure if that’s accurate. I’ve seen reports indicating that Fire TV users are also beta testing the DVR. I also think beta testing has been going on for several months now, and only select users at a time.

Cordcuttersnews.com seems to be pretty reliable.

Last edited:
Went back and reread the beta email. Based on the wording you’re probably right that they have a fire tv app in beta, it’s roku that says is “not yet available” vs. fire tv that says I don’t have access “yet.” Regardless, barring some very significant and flawless improvements in the cloud dvr in the next couple of weeks, I think it would be a mistake for hem to roll it out in January. And if beta testing really has been going on for several months already, i have very little faith that such improvements could be made in that timeframe.

I get that, but they have added locals to most markets. I now have all of the locals in Atlanta. What channels you need, how many devices, DVR are considerations. For me, PSVUE at $45 for the Core package meets my channel/DVR needs. I just checked Directv Now and I'd need to bump up to the $50 package, so it's more expensive. I don't even know how the DVR will be incorporated. Will it be included in the price, or an add-on like Sling? I might consider YouTube TV after March Madness just to save $10 a month. I like their lineup and they have an Android app for my Nvidia Shield TV now.

All very good points.

I'll be sure to check the DVR pricing.

Why? Vue has had a DVR for a while now. I will never go back to DTV.

Last edited:
DirectTV NOW is beta testing a DVR feature on their Fire TV app.

To me it doesn't make sense to go back to Direct for a service already provided at a cheaper cost by PlayStation Vue. Plus, if you start to go multi-room with Direct, you're going to have to pay for each additional unit. At least with the FireStick you have a choice of additional apps to add to your viewing pleasure.

Just doesn't make sense to me, but to each his own.

Reactions: ericram
To me it doesn't make sense to go back to Direct for a service already provided at a cheaper cost by PlayStation Vue. Plus, if you start to go multi-room with Direct, you're going to have to pay for each additional unit. At least with the FireStick you have a choice of additional apps to add to your viewing pleasure.

Just doesn't make sense to me, but to each his own.

I think you’re misunderstanding friend. DirectTV Now is a similar service as Vue. It’s $5 cheaper and I can get it on my Fire TV. Currently they don’t have DVR though, so Vue is the better service. Once DirecTV Now has DVR, it may prove to be a better service.

My problem with some of the DVR services is that if there is an OnDemand version available or becomes available, they replace what you have recorded with the On Demand version. There are many times where you cannot fast forward through the On Demand commercials. If I record something to DVR, then I want to know I can watch that version.

If I recall, when I tested out PS Vue, there were multiple times that I recorded shows only to have them replaced with an On Demand version with commercials. Could have been I was doing something wrong, but I seem to remember reading an article somewhere about this.

I think you’re misunderstanding friend. DirectTV Now is a similar service as Vue. It’s $5 cheaper and I can get it on my Fire TV. Currently they don’t have DVR though, so Vue is the better service. Once DirecTV Now has DVR, it may prove to be a better service.

So you're not required to have a dish mounted on your house and the DirectTV app isn't an additional, its just the service accessed thru the internet?

My problem with some of the DVR services is that if there is an OnDemand version available or becomes available, they replace what you have recorded with the On Demand version. There are many times where you cannot fast forward through the On Demand commercials. If I record something to DVR, then I want to know I can watch that version.

If I recall, when I tested out PS Vue, there were multiple times that I recorded shows only to have them replaced with an On Demand version with commercials. Could have been I was doing something wrong, but I seem to remember reading an article somewhere about this.

Vue will now allow you to choose either option if both are available.

So you're not required to have a dish mounted on your house and the DirectTV app isn't an additional, its just the service accessed thru the internet?

That’s correct. It’s a stand-alone service, separate from their dish service.

Do they package their programming on the app the same as they do with the regular service?

I have not had DirecTV dish service in over 10 years, but I believe it’s similar. The channel packages are “skinnier” and seem to cost less.

Glad this is back. I have been trying to catch up and evaluate best options. Just called and negotiated down to $98/mo. Definitely going to see whats the best bang for buck and drop DirecTv. But have more breathing room and less pressure now.

I have not had DirecTV dish service in over 10 years, but I believe it’s similar. The channel packages are “skinnier” and seem to cost less.

Sounds like you might be sold on it but I still have a bad taste in my mouth with Direct and their customer service. With that I'll likely stick with Vue until something better comes along. Even Dish or Sling, with their a la carte packages, would cost more than what I get now, because of our diverse tastes in programming. My only concerns will involve getting the fastest internet connection for the lowest price.

Sounds like you might be sold on it but I still have a bad taste in my mouth with Direct and their customer service. With that I'll likely stick with Vue until something better comes along. Even Dish or Sling, with their a la carte packages, would cost more than what I get now, because of our diverse tastes in programming. My only concerns will involve getting the fastest internet connection for the lowest price.
I completely agree with you! Will never go back to DTV.

I'm on DirectTV now at the moment, on an Apple TV. Not beta testing the DVR. Echoing what's been said on this thread, I've heard on other forums that the DVR being tested is quite a ways from prime time.

I'm committed to DTV Now for four months to get a free Apple TV, we'll see if it wins me over. The picture quality, when it locks in, is really pretty amazing, much better than Hulu, YoutubeTV, Sling or Vue. It looks as good as it ever did on satelite. However, I never tested Vue or YoutubeTV on an Apple TV, so that could be part of it. The only app I'm using is the Apple TV app, and at least on that it's a pretty good "live TV" experience as far as going through the guide and decently fast channel changes, etc.

On the other hand, it gives me a much more limited selection of WatchESPN access than I had on Hulu TV, and that's disappointing.

We'll see what it looks like with the DVR, and see if they have 4K and HDR going by the end of my four months. The satellite version has started some broadcasts in HDR, and they said it would come to DirectTV Now in 2018, but not sure how soon.

I just squeeze comcast every time they get silly to get the price back in line. Love the idea of going strictly online for TV but i will always be behooved to comcast for internet so it's just easier to play the game. also i imagine i would crush their 1TB cap every month if we streamed everything - we push the edge of it monthly with also having cable and OTA.

I do actually roll my own DVR though - now using Channels (getchannels.com) have Apple TV 4's around the house for playback and an nvidia shield in a spare room that manages recordings and can also be used for playback. Previously used sageTV and winMC.

I just squeeze comcast every time they get silly to get the price back in line. Love the idea of going strictly online for TV but i will always be behooved to comcast for internet so it's just easier to play the game. also i imagine i would crush their 1TB cap every month if we streamed everything - we push the edge of it monthly with also having cable and OTA.

I do actually roll my own DVR though - now using Channels (getchannels.com) have Apple TV 4's around the house for playback and an nvidia shield in a spare room that manages recordings and can also be used for playback. Previously used sageTV and winMC.

Cool stuff, that's a nice service, I wasn't familiar with it, not having any Apple until I just recently picked up an ATV. I remember your SageTV posts back in the day. I used WMC for a long time for OTA dvr, but didn't replace it when the computer quit on me. Spent a long time fooling around with different roll your own options for OTA recording, nothing satisfactory. Wanted to do it on the cheap for the very little amount of things we might record OTA. I even pulled Sage out of the dustbin (still an active community) trying to get it together. Finally saw a neighbor selling a Tivo with lifetime service for $50, and put an end to that perennial hobby/frustration.

And as happy as I was to have it, and countless hours I spent trying to come up with a solution, we record one show (Ninja Warriors) and the occasional FSU game on ABC. I think when we move I'll probably end up selling it just to free up the space.

Finally saw a neighbor selling a Tivo with lifetime service for $50, and put an end to that perennial hobby/frustration.
that's always a good deal!

I would happily use sage again if the cable card implementation was a bit more seamless but the bigger need for me in the end was integration. Apple Tv is quick enough when switching between channels, netflix, amazon prime (finally!!!!) and HBO Go plus the ubiquitous on-demand stuff from apple. With that said, the Nvidia Shield TV is even faster still - lightning quick between apps.

Went to my buddies for Rose Bowl who cut cord. It was a commercial for staying with DTV. Feed kept going out, HD was fuzzy and had to reset router bunch of times. Paying DTV $95 per month is much easier.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT