ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone cut the cable completely?

Do you know if/when they would add a Fire TV app? That would be the only way I'd be able to do YouTube TV.

By the way, this is bigloum, the OP.
I don't think they've announced anything about new devices other than the frustratingly vague "coming soon". There are some holes in their channel lineup, but i'd only miss the Turner/Time Warner nets. Particularly during March Madness. But hey, I could just switch to any number of services for that month.

With most of these there is an on-screen interface. I never cast to the TV from my phone.

Right, but not with Youtube TV yet.

Also, Vizio had the bright idea to release a smart TV with all the apps streaming only. They've walked that back now, but it's not impossible that we see more of that going forward.

I don't think they've announced anything about new devices other than the frustratingly vague "coming soon". There are some holes in their channel lineup, but i'd only miss the Turner/Time Warner nets. Particularly during March Madness. But hey, I could just switch to any number of services for that month.

I took a look at the YouTube lineup in my area and I like it. I didn't do the trial yet, since I don't have a chrome cast and I don't see myself watching TV on my laptop. Until YouTube TV gets an app for the Fire TV, it won't be a viable option for me.

Vue recently added a live Fox channel just in time for the World Series. Hopefully ABC and NBC are in line soon.

It’s all based on the market you live in.

I live in RDU market, we get ABC live, but not Fox or NBC.

Really informative thread folks. This makes me think back to the glory days of the LR about ten years ago.

I'm moving to a new place in December and I think I am going to take the plunge and try cord cutting for a while and see how it works. When I had Directv and was watching more TV, I thought I would never be able to live without the DVR. My schedule and TV viewing habits have changed, so I watch much less TV than I used to. I find that I watch the news and sports more than anything else and when I'm not, I am using apps like Amazon to watch TV rather than cable.

My cable bill with Spectrum right now is $119 a month and that is just for internet and basic cable with box (no DVR). I am going to switch to Fios Internet with the move and then see about giving Playstation Vue a try and see how it goes.

Reactions: bigloum
Really informative thread folks. This makes me think back to the glory days of the LR about ten years ago.

I'm moving to a new place in December and I think I am going to take the plunge and try cord cutting for a while and see how it works. When I had Directv and was watching more TV, I thought I would never be able to live without the DVR. My schedule and TV viewing habits have changed, so I watch much less TV than I used to. I find that I watch the news and sports more than anything else and when I'm not, I am using apps like Amazon to watch TV rather than cable.

My cable bill with Spectrum right now is $119 a month and that is just for internet and basic cable with box (no DVR). I am going to switch to Fios Internet with the move and then see about giving Playstation Vue a try and see how it goes.

I suggest getting a Firebox or some similar device rather than a PlayStation console. I use both and prefer the Firebox because of all the extra available apps.

I'm seriously starting to look at PS Vue. I have DirecTV right now, and the amount I pay is insane.

When I really look at the actual channels we watch and our kids watch, I can pretty much get all that with Vue's high end package. Living in Atlanta, they have all the locals except for NBC, and there is nothing I really watch live on there anyway. I can use an antenna to pick up if need be.

I also like the cloud DVR, which is a must in my house.

Only thing that is making me not switch is the delay with Vue regarding Live Sports. I don't like how the delay is so bad on these thing considering how people watch live events now (social media, group text, etc..)

Reactions: SoddyNole
Only thing that is making me not switch is the delay with Vue regarding Live Sports. I don't like how the delay is so bad on these thing considering how people watch live events now (social media, group text, etc..)

What kind of delay?

Do you need a firebox for each room with a TV?

Can you watch different channels in different rooms with Vue?

What kind of delay?

depends, but usually no more than :30-1 minute from real time. i never notice.

you would need a streaming device of some sort for each tv. ps vue is compatible with virtually all of them.

you can stream on up to five devices at once with Vue.

depends, but usually no more than :30-1 minute from real time. i never notice.

you would need a streaming device of some sort for each tv. ps vue is compatible with virtually all of them.

you can stream on up to five devices at once with Vue.

thanks for the information. Probably not as important as it once was with the multiple devices my wife watches more on her tablet than the TV the last few years and daughter hasn't looked away from her phone in 4 years.

With the deals on the PS4 this black friday I'd get one of those. Kohls or somewhere like that has one at $150. We have a PS4 and two firesticks. They all work fine but the PS4 is faster. We get the same TV apps on all of them. You can view 5 different streams at once under one account. That's PS4, firesticks, phones, tablets, what have you.
There is a slight delay - I could hear my neighbor cheering for homeruns before I saw them on TV. I shut the back door - problem solved. I had a similar problem with dish.

The "delay" is no more than a minute, soooo........

The "delay" is no more than a minute, soooo........

Which is HUGE if you you follow along on twitter or group texts. I've been doing streaming on sports for years now, and I live with it, but I don't like it. The delay sucks.

Reactions: Noleguy06
What kind of delay?

Only if you have a Firestick or a Firebox can you watch different channels in different rooms. The PS4, because of the login factor will turn off in one room if you turn Vue on in another room on another PS4. You can run a PS3 and a PS4 at the same time.

I found this out by trial and error.

Which is HUGE if you you follow along on twitter or group texts. I've been doing streaming on sports for years now, and I live with it, but I don't like it. The delay sucks.
That explains why it doesn't bother me at all. About the only time I ever noticed it is when I've been on Warchant and watching FSU at the same time. Occasionally there'd be a post giving away the outcome of a play I haven't seen yet. But it's probably better I stay off Warchant during FSU games anyway...

Only if you have a Firestick or a Firebox can you watch different channels in different rooms. The PS4, because of the login factor will turn off in one room if you turn Vue on in another room on another PS4. You can run a PS3 and a PS4 at the same time.

I found this out by trial and error.
I have a PS4 and multiple firesticks. None turn off as we watch simultaneously.

I like that Vue has added the “last channel” option. It makes it easy to flip between football games.

Reactions: BelemNole
I have a PS4 and multiple firesticks. None turn off as we watch simultaneously.

My post said the problem occurred with multiple PS units that are being used at the same. If you try to use two PS4s signed in under one account one will shut off. It was my intent to post the problems with the PS units. I too can run a PS unit and multiple Firesticks or Fireboxes with no issues.

My post said the problem occurred with multiple PS units that are being used at the same. If you try to use two PS4s signed in under one account one will shut off. It was my intent to post the problems with the PS units. I too can run a PS unit and multiple Firesticks or Fireboxes with no issues.
Have you tried to set up more than 1 profile? I believe you are allowed up to 5.

Reactions: NoleGrad83
Have you tried to set up more than 1 profile? I believe you are allowed up to 5.

Tried it but I would have been charged for the 2nd profile. Anyway, the issue is resolved with the purchase of a couple of Firesticks/Fireboxes.

But it looks like multiple profiles won't solve your problem:

A single PlayStation™Vue account can simultaneously stream PlayStation™Vue on up to 5 devices at a given time. The number of streams supported on specific devices will vary based on the following rules:

• Up to five total streams are supported at once.
  • Only one PS4™ console and one PS3™ console can be used at a given time (i.e. you cannot stream PS Vue on two PS4 consoles or two PS3 consoles at any given time, but one PS4 system and one PS3 consoles can be used at the same time).
  • Mobile devices, like supported iOS, Android, and desktop web, can be used for up to three simultaneous mobile streams. Note:
    • NFL games are not available live on mobile phones but can be viewed on a tablet, and can be cast to Chromecast from a mobile phone. NFL games may not be available for out-of-home streaming.
    • PlayStation Vue on the web at psvue.com/watch follows mobile streaming rights, with the same programming availability as on phones and tablets.
    • Some mobile content availability restrictions apply when you are outside your home.
    • The same blackout rules apply on a supported mobile phone, tablet, and desktop browser as they do on PlayStation Vue on a TV-connected device.
  • Other supported devices like Amazon Fire TV, Roku® streaming devices, Apple TV®, Fire TV, and Android TV can also be used for simultaneous streams within the limit of five streams total.
  • If you reach a streaming limit, sign out of PlayStation Vue on one of your devices. Then, after three hours, sign into a new device.

I'm currently using 4 different devices including a PS4, PS3 and two Amazon Fire devices. All are signed in on the same account. Before knowing that I couldn't sign in on the same account with two PS4 devices I purchased the 2nd PS4. Fortunately the 2nd device was a refurbished unit and I didn't have to pay full price.

Everything is working just as I hoped it would at this time.

Not looking to cut the cord completely, but looking for something to use on a single TV to give it a try. Apps I currently have are Amazon, Netflix, Showtime, HBO, Watch ESPN, and FoxSportsGo.

Not looking to cut the cord completely, but looking for something to use on a single TV to give it a try. Apps I currently have are Amazon, Netflix, Showtime, HBO, Watch ESPN, and FoxSportsGo.

An Amazon Fire TV or Stick will suit your needs.

I did the PS Vue free trial and we liked it. I'm finally getting rid of DIRECTV.

I've got an Amazon Fire Box and two Fire Sticks so I was concerned about running it on 3 TVs. Had no issues at all and the guide is pretty good in terms of UI. Not perfect but good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT