ADVERTISEMENT

BBQ Rule #1. It’s ready when it is ready.

Bud Fox

Seminole Insider
May 3, 2002
I am currently smoking about an 11 pound Boston butt. I put it in the smoker yesterday morning at 5:30 AM at 225 degrees. Using cherry wood. Current internal temp is 191 degrees.

This is the longest cook for a pork butt I have ever experienced. As I type this, we are at just over 26 hours.

I cooked a full brisket last year in 24 hours.

Just crazy it is taking this long, but this thing looks amazing.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
Yes. Put it in a stall at about 160°. Take it off to rest at 193°.
This thing is incredible. It has been in a second stall at 191 degrees for 2 hours! I will take it off and wrap it when it hits 193 degrees. I’ll try your method brudda.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
That is a very long time but the one I did was 6-7 lbs. If I needed that much meat, I think I would go with two smaller butts.

Holy smokes, was it frozen when you started it?
Nope. It was refrigerated though. We injected it night before with cherry Dr Pepper. When I put the probe in, it was 40 degrees. This butt is incredible, still stalled at 191. I will take a picture or two, it really is just oozing juices. If I can figure out how to post a pic, I will. I’m gonna take it out at 193, try DFS suggestion.

Reactions: Imtotallynottribe
You could always microwave it.

Seriously, I'd take it out & do as DFS suggests, then pull it. If any in the center is undercooked, you could always throw that in the oven or a crockpot for a bit.

You could always microwave it.

Seriously, I'd take it out & do as DFS suggests, then pull it. If any in the center is undercooked, you could always throw that in the oven or a crockpot for a bit.
Finally hit 193. This thing is gonna be good. When I picked it up to transfer to the pan for wrapping, the bone came right out.

Reactions: noleone99
Finally hit 193. This thing is gonna be good. When I picked it up to transfer to the pan for wrapping, the bone came right out.
I've cooked events where I've done 100 or more. There always seems to be 1 or 2 that will not come up to temp for some reason. Seems like Bud got one of those.
How do I post a picture?

It’s certainly safe to eat now. Maybe chop instead of pull, if it’s not as tender as you’d like (assuming you pull before your 200F target).

You know you can up your temperature say 50 degrees and finish sooner. It still is just as moist and just as tasty. That is an unbelievably long time to wait for something to eat.

Exhibit No.1 evidencing that it takes real skill to properly cook brisket and that beef is the reel bbq....any slapdick with a Weber can cook pork. :)

I prefer to leave the bone in for as long as possible.

flat,550x550,075,f.u3.jpg

DAMMIT....too late!

Around my grill it's ready when ole lady pulls it off grill.
She cooks what I want, when I want it, for how long I want it cooked.
Training = Way less hassle. Come on guys.
Of course on those afternoons when she cuts grass or rakes leaves after winning our bread, I will allow her to be a minute or two late.
Hell it was her idea to get a job running her Dad's affairs instead of wasting his millions. Not my fault. I'm willing to waste. They's stuff out there that needs catching or killing, I'm doing my part to keep folks safe.
Them gators.
Them bears.
Them sharks.
They all make good burgers.

Of course on those afternoons when she cuts grass or rakes leaves after winning our bread, I will allow her to be a minute or two late.
Hell it was her idea to get a job running her Dad's affairs instead of wasting his millions. Not my fault. I'm willing to waste. They's stuff out there that needs catching or killing, I'm doing my part to keep folks safe.
Them gators.
Them bears.
Them sharks.

giphy.gif

Them gators.
Them bears.
Them sharks.

But how is she able to fetch beers in a timely manner while doing all this work?

Priorities man.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT