ADVERTISEMENT

Bud Light VP Takes “”Leave of Absence”

Status
Not open for further replies.

FisherWilcoxTaggart Survivor

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Nov 22, 2020
Alissa Heinerscheid, the progressive executive at Bud Light who rolled out the ill-advised Dylan Mulvaney ad campaign, is now on a “leave of absence.”

Anheuser-Busch is desperate to stop the bleeding. Business is dying, and shareholders will soon be filing lawsuits over the billions lost as a result of this campaign.

Memo to file: (a) know your customers, and (b) don’t alienate your customers. The end.

It is an odd controversy to me,
what was it about the TikTok person that created so much anger when the rainbow cans did not generate a similar response previously?
If I was a BL consumer, I certainly would not throw out the beer I paid for over them using an influencer who is LGBTQ when the company has been public for years about their support of LGBTQ causes. Is it possible the people that became so angry were not aware of the rainbow cans?

Is it the over the top characterization that Mulvaney projects? Is there a belief trans people have in the last few years become "groomers" and were not previously?
I am genuinely curious why this person pissed off so many so badly that they would spend hundreds of dollars to make a reaction video to prove their anger.

No one's perfect.

jesuschrist-curveball.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BrianNole777
It is an odd controversy to me,
what was it about the TikTok person that created so much anger when the rainbow cans did not generate a similar response previously?
If I was a BL consumer, I certainly would not throw out the beer I paid for over them using an influencer who is LGBTQ when the company has been public for years about their support of LGBTQ causes. Is it possible the people that became so angry were not aware of the rainbow cans?

Is it the over the top characterization that Mulvaney projects? Is there a belief trans people have in the last few years become "groomers" and were not previously?
I am genuinely curious why this person pissed off so many so badly that they would spend hundreds of dollars to make a reaction video to prove their anger.
The now-on-leave executive was quoted as saying that the brand needed to change its “fratty” image, and that Bud needed to attract new and younger drinkers. She also criticized the brand’s prior “Men of Genius” campaign.

Just an absolutely clueless person who naively assumed that the flamboyant trans imagery would have wide appeal. People will indulge LGB, but “T” — crammed down your throat — is a bridge-too-far for most Bud Light drinkers. The fallout speaks for itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Used to be that corporations stayed out of politics (at least visibly) and social controversy... now they embrace it.
From a business perspective, what purpose does it serve?
Investment firms like BlackRock (led by Larry Fink) are largely behind it. Lots of articles out there about how BlackRock utilizes its purported progressive ideology to make obscene tons of money. Does BlackRock REALLY believe all of that stuff, or is it just part of an opportunistic script that it knows appeals to a big audience?

Not sure, but it is well documented that many American companies are afraid to alienate BlackRock.

Reactions: CHAMLER
The now-on-leave executive was quoted as saying that the brand needed to change its “fratty” image, and that Bud needed to attract new and younger drinkers. She also criticized the brand’s prior “Men of Genius” campaign.

Just an absolutely clueless person who naively assumed that the flamboyant trans imagery would have wide appeal. People will indulge LGB, but “T” — crammed down your throat — is a bridge-too-far for most Bud Light drinkers. The fallout speaks for itself.
The same executive is in photos pounding brews and blowing up condoms with her girlfriends while attending Harvard:

Crammed down your throat? Really? It was one freaking picture on one freaking can.

The same executive is in photos pounding brews and blowing up condoms with her girlfriends while attending Harvard:

I read that she is/was actually "embarrassed" -- vis-a-vis her Harvard peers who work for think tanks and various public-do-good organizations -- by her traditional corporate role with a big beer company. Yuck....how degrading....I mean how blue collar can you get?

So she was anxious to "keep up with" her cohorts, most of whom have few if any professional restraints on what they do. So this was her attempted "look at me" moment. And I guess Anheuser Busch is sufficiently dysfunctional -- as some huge outfits tend to be -- that this completely ludicrous idea somehow left the runway.

LOL. The shareholder derivative suits are going to be epic!!

Crammed down your throat? Really? It was one freaking picture on one freaking can.
I am surprised you did not edit it out....

A-B's plummeting financial picture pretty much confirms that I am not the only person who believed the public was being "crammed on."

It seems to confirm to me that a subset of the population really hates transpeople. Like really really hates them. To the point of committing crimes, breaking things, and shooting up their beer supply. That’s troubling.
What about the trans person who shot up the Nashville school a few weeks ago? Should we be loving her/him?

What "crimes" are being committed against trans people? Everyone can be the victim of crime -- especially in our current lawless environment -- but portraying the trans crowd as "more affected" by general criminality than the mainstream is really out there. If anything, they are probably reasonably safe since lots of folks try to avoid them.

Yea, I think that you are right and that is a good thing. I still enjoy my pair of fresh Carolina blue Air Force Ones that I picked up during the Nike kerfuffle. :)
Guess your "social justice" concerns don't extend to child labor being exploited in Asia in order to make your sneakers.

They absolutely do. I completely stopped buying Nike products in the late 90s when the conditions in their south Asian factories came to light. I distinctly remember the controversy, because I was at FSU at that time, and we had on-going protests on-campus due to the newly signed deal with Nike. My favorite Lit professor shamed me one day when he saw me wearing a Nike hat on-campus, and I committed to changing my behavior. Those Nikes that I bought a few years ago were my first in decades, and the purchase was explicitly motivated by the anti-BLM boycott. Yet, before I bought them, I verified that the factory in which they were manufactured had been vetted as an ethical workplace.
I sincerely hope that the BLM founders are enjoying their mansions you helped fund.

I mentioned the anti-BLM protests as a very minor bit of contextual information about my Nike purchase. I absolutely did not intend to shift the conversation to a discussion of BLM. I will certainly edit that out of the thread, if you are unable to resist the distraction.
Good luck with your ongoing Nike (mostly) boycott. 😃

Reactions: noletaire
@NoleSince1961 I see that your post questioning why us "mockers" suggest that you types are "holier than thou" and other similar things has been deleted, but I offer Exhibit A for your consumption:

Last edited:
Reactions: trunole1
@NoleSince1961 I see that your post questioning why us "mockers" suggest that you types are "holier than thou" and other similar things has been deleted, but I offer Exhibit A for your consumption:

Who the hell is Ana Kasparian, and which thread did she post in, or where did Brainvision or I or any other of whichever Osceola posters you consider to represent us in your “holier than thou” grouping ever post anything about Ana Kasparian?
Super weak.

Who the hell is Ana Kasparian, and which thread did she post in, or where did Brainvision or I or any other of whichever Osceola posters you consider to represent us in your “holier than thou” grouping ever post anything about Ana Kasparian?
Super weak.
Do you consider yourself "progressive"?? If so, The Young Turks (of which Ms. Kasparian is a member) is one of the largest progressive "news" sites on social media. Therefore their influence among non-Boomers, who aren't aware of such things, is quite substantial. Try joining this century.

• Wow
Do you consider yourself "progressive"?? If so, The Young Turks (of which Ms. Kasparian is a member) is one of the largest progressive "news" sites on social media. Therefore their influence among non-Boomers who aren't aware of such things is quite substantial. Try joining this century.
Just in case your question was genuine, I consider myself a fiscally moderate but more socially liberal Dem, who used to vote mostly GOP until that party went off the rails, constantly trying to hold on to “the good ole days” at the expense of nearly anybody for whom “the good ole days” weren’t actually so rosy. I don’t think I’ve ever voted for a “progressive” unless you include anybody left of center who prefers social progress to selfish and mean-spirited exclusion.

And regardless of which social media that Anna person you randomly hurled into the convo is popular on, she still has zero relevance to me expressing my advocacy for marginalized people on these boards.

But if you find yourself clever, go right ahead and play to the peanut gallery.

Have you guys ever heard of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez??

Just in case your question was genuine, I consider myself a fiscally moderate but more socially liberal Dem, who used to vote mostly GOP until that party went off the rails, constantly trying to hold on to “the good ole days” at the expense of nearly anybody for whom “the good ole days” weren’t actually so rosy. I don’t think I’ve ever voted for a “progressive” unless you include anybody left of center who prefers social progress to selfish and mean-spirited exclusion.

And regardless of which social media that Anna person you randomly hurled into the convo is popular on, she still has zero relevance to me expressing my advocacy for marginalized people on these boards.

But if you find yourself clever, go right ahead and play to the peanut gallery.

Did you ever vote for Ronald Reagan?

Just curious.

Wow.

Did you ever regret that vote?
To be honest, I was a different person then, hadn’t lived outside the small town Deep South long enough yet to really get to know lots of more diverse people with more diverse life experiences, didn’t fully appreciate my own parent’s/grandparents’ escape from persecution story, was too selfishly/greedily focused on my own capitalist desires (which will always be a counterbalancing motivator for me), etc to genuinely care about all the ramifications of my vote. That’s also part of my white and otherwise majority (other than being Jewish) privilege, that I have the luxury of not feeling quite so directly vulnerable to the collateral damage of my political choices as do more marginalized groups.

I’m a big believer in humans’ ability to grow and evolve. I pay more attention now to my choices and how they impact people very different than me, whom I used to be much more prone to dismissing or even joking about for bro-acceptance. I’m not the same guy now as my Reagan-era self who got downgraded in a B-school class by a professor who considered my dismissive capitalist commentary to be too cavalier.

I agree that the marketing exec did not read the room on the core customers, that was a mistake. The larger mistake is I feel this was a calculated risk type of decision because of a desire to grow that "younger" market and that risk really blew up in her face.

Mulvaney has 10 mill followers and I think we can all agree Mulvaney's followers are very likely an untapped market for Bud Light. Add in the perception that European companies tend to be more inclusive, I can see that marketing team all thinking they could send the beer can and have this popular person selling Bud Light to all those followers and no one would care because they are not following this person on TikTok.
The critical error she/they made is that they either did not understand or thought it wouldn't matter that everything "trans" is a hot-button issue, Dylan is so over the top, and the core customer for BL doesn't want those types of people "crammed" down their throat. Pretty far slide for a person who last year was named to Ad Age's top 40 under 40.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out, the attempt by BL with the Clydesdale was dumb and so transparent. The brand is so heavily ingrained in America can they win back customers, does Bud and all the other brands suffer?

To be honest, I was a different person then, hadn’t lived outside the small town Deep South long enough yet to really get to know lots of more diverse people with more diverse life experiences, didn’t fully appreciate my own parent’s/grandparents’ escape from persecution story, was too selfishly/greedily focused on my own capitalist desires (which will always be a counterbalancing motivator for me), etc to genuinely care about all the ramifications of my vote. That’s also part of my white and otherwise majority (other than being Jewish) privilege, that I have the luxury of not feeling quite so directly vulnerable to the collateral damage of my political choices as do more marginalized groups.

I’m a big believer in humans’ ability to grow and evolve. I pay more attention now to my choices and how they impact people very different than me, whom I used to be much more prone to dismissing or even joking about for bro-acceptance. I’m not the same guy now as my Reagan-era self who got downgraded in a B-school class by a professor who considered my dismissive capitalist commentary to be too cavalier.

You're a male??

I thought you were a woman for some reason. My b.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT