ADVERTISEMENT

Cauliflower

jamnolfin

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Panama City Beach, Florida
Recent trendy vegetable with multi ways of preparation. My wife has been cooking numerous recipes with a vegetable I wasn't all that hip on in the past. Last night she made a pizza with the crust made from cauliflower. She made one the other day where she broke it up in tiny florets and baked it to a crisp then seasoned with different flavor like popcorn. I grabbed a handful and popped it in my mouth just like popcorn. It almost looked the same. It was awesome. A lot of recipes on the Internet with people finding new ways to enjoy this what used to be a bland vegetable to me and it's healthy. We are grilling it this weekend, cut in pieces and pressed together with a binder, spiced and grilled. It looked awesome on Food Network, I will let you know. Amazing health chefs out there these days coming up with all kinds of stuff. I try to eat healthy at home since I probably eat 2/3 of meals in restaurants with my job. Try it.

Recent trendy vegetable with multi ways of preparation. My wife has been cooking numerous recipes with a vegetable I wasn't all that hip on in the past. Last night she made a pizza with the crust made from cauliflower. She made one the other day where she broke it up in tiny florets and baked it to a crisp then seasoned with different flavor like popcorn. I grabbed a handful and popped it in my mouth just like popcorn. It almost looked the same. It was awesome. A lot of recipes on the Internet with people finding new ways to enjoy this what used to be a bland vegetable to me and it's healthy. We are grilling it this weekend, cut in pieces and pressed together with a binder, spiced and grilled. It looked awesome on Food Network, I will let you know. Amazing health chefs out there these days coming up with all kinds of stuff. I try to eat healthy at home since I probably eat 2/3 of meals in restaurants with my job. Try it.

My wife and I make a burrito wrapper/soft taco shell replacement that is made primarily from cauliflower and egg that tastes surprisingly good and holds up to really flavourful Taco fillings well.

I like to deep fry it tempura style and dunk it in a sugar laden ponzu sauce...

Reactions: rjw615
The whole roasted cauliflower at Domenica is awesome. The recipe is on Epicurious.com

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I've been making cauliflower rice for a while now. Just pulse the florets into rice sized pieces and saute for a few minutes to soften. I add onions, minced garlic, throw some frozen peas in at the end and some salt and pepper. I prefer it to real rice, to be honest. Good way to eliminate carbs and add veggies to your diet. I've never made the wrap or pizza crust, but I'd like to try a mashed potato substitute recipe using cauliflower one of these days.

I've been making cauliflower rice for a while now. Just pulse the florets into rice sized pieces and saute for a few minutes to soften. I add onions, minced garlic, throw some frozen peas in at the end and some salt and pepper. I prefer it to real rice, to be honest. Good way to eliminate carbs and add veggies to your diet. I've never made the wrap or pizza crust, but I'd like to try a mashed potato substitute recipe using cauliflower one of these days.

Yeah we do the cauliflower rice as well. It's not bad if you're using it in a dish that otherwise has lots of flavor. I do like the cauliflower wrap better.

My wife and I make a burrito wrapper/soft taco shell replacement that is made primarily from cauliflower and egg that tastes surprisingly good and holds up to really flavourful Taco fillings well.

Someday you and your wife will have kids and laugh about the days when you had time to make egg and cauliflower faux tortillas.

Had cauliflower ear a couple times in high school...gnarly stuff

Reactions: jim65
Good substitute for mashed potatoes, provided you put enough butter on/in it.

Reactions: goldmom
I've loved it since I was a kid. We eat it often, roasted and flavored several different ways. Whipped like potatoes, pulsed like rice. Good all purpose ruffage. I like it pickled especially.

In the same vein, there's a little device called a Veggetti that will turn different veggies into spaghetti shaped strips.
veg7.jpg

In the same vein, there's a little device called a Veggetti that will turn different veggies into spaghetti shaped strips.
veg7.jpg
I've got a spiralizer that does that, but sits on the table top and you have to crank a handle to run it through the blade. I made zucchini noodles a bunch of times, but didn't enjoy them. Too watery for my taste.

I've got a spiralizer that does that, but sits on the table top and you have to crank a handle to run it through the blade. I made zucchini noodles a bunch of times, but didn't enjoy them. Too watery for my taste.
Salt them and let them drain on paper towels in a colander.

veg7.jpg

We bought one of those and it works decently well on zucchini and soft veggies but it was terrible at doing carrot and sweet potato "noodles". So after struggling with it for awhile I just bought the bullet and got an automated spiralizer for $100 or so and it works fantastic.

There's lots of really tasty recipes for zucchini and sweet potato "noodles". My favorite is very simple just some tomatoes, olives and capers plus a few other ingredients in a really umami and briny packed fresh sauce. I'll see if I can find the recipe and post it.

Like to melt a big assed piece of cheese over it. Awesome...can hardly tell it's flavorless. Lots of butter is a good one too.

If you need to add so much butter, cheese, salt, etc. you might as well eat something that's already bad for you.

Here's the healthy recipe for zoodles that I mentioned. It's quite savoury and filling but I double the olives and capers by using 2 tablespoons of both.

ZOODLES N’ MARINARA
Serves 1

INGREDIENTS

1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons pepitas
2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1 cup diced fresh ripe tomato (or quartered grape tomatoes totalling 1 cup)
2 tablespoons pitted kalamata olives/capers/or mix of both
Black pepper and sea salt
1 small zucchini

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
2. Heat olive oil in a saucepan. Add the onions and garlic and cook on medium heat, stirring frequently, until onion is soft.
3. Meanwhile, arrange the pepitas and sunflower seeds in an even layer on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 5 minutes or until lightly toasted.
4. Once the onion has softened, add the oregano and cook for one minute, until fragrant. Add the tomatoes, olives, salt and pepper and cook until tomatoes are tender.
5. While the sauce is cooking, prepare the zoodles. Using a spiralizer or vegetable peeler, cut zucchini into spaghetti. Sprinkle with a little olive oil, and set aside.
6. Place zucchini noodles on plate and top with the tomato sauce. Sprinkle pepitas and sunflower seeds on top.

Add a spoonful of basil pesto or a few fresh basil leaves to boost the flavor.

Coincidentally the wife cooked cauliflower last night as a side to chicken cacciatore. Sadly, no pasta as a side was offered as she is slowly depriving me of that, along with bread. It's good salted with a little olive oil or butter. I had stopped taking vitamins over the summer and already had battled two colds, so I've been striving to get Vit C in my diet. Out of curiosity I looked up cauliflower's vitamin C content and was shocked to see a cup gives you over 100% of daily intake, nice.

If you need to add so much butter, cheese, salt, etc. you might as well eat something that's already bad for you.

Mashed potatoes aren't worth a damn either if you don't have enough butter and/or gravy (and salt).

Reactions: nynole1
The whole roasted cauliflower at Domenica is awesome. The recipe is on Epicurious.com

Thank you so much from the wife and I, that was one of the best things I have ever eaten. That will be a regular from now on at our house. My wife put pictures of it on Facebook and everybody wanted the recipe. The dip recipe made a huge amount, my wife thinned it with half and half or something and it made a awesome salad dressing

We bought one of those and it works decently well on zucchini and soft veggies but it was terrible at doing carrot and sweet potato "noodles". So after struggling with it for awhile I just bought the bullet and got an automated spiralizer for $100 or so and it works fantastic.

There's lots of really tasty recipes for zucchini and sweet potato "noodles". My favorite is very simple just some tomatoes, olives and capers plus a few other ingredients in a really umami and briny packed fresh sauce. I'll see if I can find the recipe and post it.
Why not have one really nice mandolin? Vegetable noodles are such a novelty. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT