ADVERTISEMENT

COVID booster shot

I don't want them. But if the numbers show that immunity wanes AND the virus continues to be as potentially bad as it is now (I know only 1/1,000 may die now, but I would be fine with 1/1M odds for me), then it's just not something I am going to avoid for some principle of not wanting to do them. If they significantly reduce the potential downside, it's worth it to me. Not close even.

this is an interesting article from Bloomberg. an antibody comparison was done between pfizer and moderna and it has found that moderna produced twice the number of antibodies than its competitor.

the article does also help clarify a dosing question that i had pondered with @Dhersh last week in stating that the active ingredient in moderna is 100mcg vs. 30mcg in pfizer. we did know that the dose for moderna is 0.5ml vs. 0.3ml for pfizer but not the amount of active ingredient in its dilution.

separately, there was also a recent study done at the university of birmingham in england that found delaying second dose for 12 weeks provided a boost in immune response of 3.5 times that of current dosing sequences.

Reactions: QuaZ2002
this is an interesting article from Bloomberg. an antibody comparison was done between pfizer and moderna and it has found that moderna produced twice the number of antibodies than its competitor.

the article does also help clarify a dosing question that i had pondered with @Dhersh last week in stating that the active ingredient in moderna is 100mcg vs. 30mcg in pfizer. we did know that the dose for moderna is 0.5ml vs. 0.3ml for pfizer but not the amount of active ingredient in its dilution.

separately, there was also a recent study done at the university of birmingham in england that found delaying second dose for 12 weeks provided a boost in immune response of 3.5 times that of current dosing sequences.

Quite interesting. The 3-4 weeks was always arbitrary. They just decided that time and used it for the studies. Interesting that they’re comparing the times now.

Reactions: AllNoles
I'll get it every years along with the flu shot, which I already get. Flu shot is super easy to get. They'll offer it when you pick up a script and 30 seconds later you're on your way.
I used to have to get the flu shot every year and coincidentally got the flu almost annually. I haven't had one in 12 years nor have I had the flu. I got the covid vax because eventually we will all have to get it and Id rather do it on my terms. However, once were past all this and the booster is an annual recommendation I dont know that ill keep getting it.

Reactions: AllNoles
i haven't taken the flu shot since flu anti-viral's have been readily available. i've had the flu both while vaccinated and un-vaccinated. with that said, about a decade from now, i would regularly get the flu vaccine as i enter a different risk profile by age association.

Reactions: Dhersh and AllNoles
I used to have to get the flu shot every year and coincidentally got the flu almost annually. I haven't had one in 12 years nor have I had the flu. I got the covid vax because eventually we will all have to get it and Id rather do it on my terms. However, once were past all this and the booster is an annual recommendation I dont know that ill keep getting it.
You can still get the flu even with the vaccine if you get a different variant. However, you stopping getting the vaccine isn't the reason you stopped getting the flu. The vaccine cannot give you the flu. Did you have tests confirming flu every year? A lot of people get really bad colds that they call the flu, which it was just a coronovirus, RSV or rhinovirus that was bad that season.

Reactions: Dhersh
Perhaps there is some data and you should read the statement 😉
I've read the Israeli data and obviously they haven't released their internal data to the public. And in the statement they say immunity against serious disease/hospitalization remains high. Nothing new here. I expect them to suggest boosters for 65 over and immune suppress.

You can still get the flu even with the vaccine if you get a different variant. However, you stopping getting the vaccine isn't the reason you stopped getting the flu. The vaccine cannot give you the flu. Did you have tests confirming flu every year? A lot of people get really bad colds that they call the flu, which it was just a coronovirus, RSV or rhinovirus that was bad that season.
My point was if you could get the flu with the vaccine as I did then why get the shot so I stopped. Not getting the flu afterwards was just lucky.

My point was if you could get the flu with the vaccine as I did then why get the shot so I stopped. Not getting the flu afterwards was just lucky.
I understand. It protects you from getting certain variants which is why it’s worth getting just to avoid those IMO. I was also just pointing out lot of people think they have the flu when they actually don’t and just have a really bad cold.

Last edited:
I understand. It protects you from getting certain variants which is why it’s worth getting just to avoid those IMO. I was also just pointing out lot of people think they have the flu when they actually don’t and just have a really bad cold.
when they actually get the flu they will never mistake a bad cold for the flu again. brutal!

Reactions: ChiefWB
Unfortunately, flu vaccines are not effective against all variants. Experts are forced to guess which mutations will be more prevalent on a given year, and they focus their efforts on fighting those. It leads to roughly 50% efficacy, give or take. If there weren't so many variants, the flu vaccine would be much more effective. In time, I'm afraid that's the path we are going down with COVID as well.

Last edited:
I've read the Israeli data and obviously they haven't released their internal data to the public. And in the statement they say immunity against serious disease/hospitalization remains high. Nothing new here. I expect them to suggest boosters for 65 over and immune suppress.
Sorry I'm lost what is this in reference to?

Might find this one interesting:

Basically, we are all going to meet with Covid eventually, all mitigation efforts are just about timing. Best to get vaccinated and then just live your life.

Got the booster Tuesday. Could barely lift my arm, a lot of fatigue, followed by shivering, and a headache for about 36 hours. Got back to normal early Thursday morning.

The US, which represents 4.2% of the global population has accounted for 14.6% of COVID deaths.

By comparison, India, which represents 17.5% of the global population has accounted for 9.3% of COVID deaths.

* COVID numbers from Johns Hopkins

Reactions: goldmom
The US, which represents 4.2% of the global population has accounted for 14.6% of COVID deaths.

By comparison, India, which represents 17.5% of the global population has accounted for 9.3% of COVID deaths.

* COVID numbers from Johns Hopkins
Not sure I trust India's numbers.

Thanks I didn't know there were reporting issues there. Makes sense. Global death numbers are likely worse than what is being reported.
India has people living on top of each other no way Delta didn't run through all of those slums.

I believe they had a doctor say something similar.

Reactions: goldmom
Two doses of Comirnaty are “highly effective” at preventing hospitalizations for at least six months, a large-scale study shows, but protection against infection nearly halves over the same period.

Effectiveness against all Covid infections fell from 88% within a month of having two doses to 47% after six months, according to the research. However, effectiveness against hospitalisations remained high at 90% overall – and crucially across all variants, including delta.

The findings, published in the Lancet, are consistent with preliminary reports from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Israel’s ministry of health that suggested protection against the virus fades within six months.

The results underscore the vital importance of improving Covid vaccination rates globally, researchers said.

Researchers analysed the health records of three million people between December 2020 and August 2021. During the study period, 5.4% of people were infected with SARS-CoV-2. Among those who were infected, 6.6% were hospitalized. The average time since being fully vaccinated was between three and four months.

Prof Penny Ward, visiting professor in pharmaceutical medicine at King’s College London, who was not involved in the study, said: “This publication describes real-world evidence from the US on the effectiveness of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine assessed using data from a large healthcare database from the Kaiser Permanente organisation.

“In general, if the objective of vaccination is to prevent illness and prevent continued spread of infection, the information suggests need for boosters six months after completion of the first vaccine course, particularly among the most vulnerable, in whom infection may lead to more severe illness and death. This approach has already been adopted in the UK, where the booster campaign is now under way.”

Last edited:
Two doses of Comirnaty are “highly effective” at preventing hospitalizations for at least six months, a large-scale study shows, but protection against infection nearly halves over the same period.

Effectiveness against all Covid infections fell from 88% within a month of having two doses to 47% after six months, according to the research. However, effectiveness against hospitalisations remained high at 90% overall – and crucially across all variants, including delta.

The findings, published in the Lancet, are consistent with preliminary reports from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Israel’s ministry of health that suggested protection against the virus fades within six months.

The results underscore the vital importance of improving Covid vaccination rates globally, researchers said.

Researchers analysed the health records of three million people between December 2020 and August 2021. During the study period, 5.4% of people were infected with SARS-CoV-2. Among those who were infected, 6.6% were hospitalized. The average time since being fully vaccinated was between three and four months.

Prof Penny Ward, visiting professor in pharmaceutical medicine at King’s College London, who was not involved in the study, said: “This publication describes real-world evidence from the US on the effectiveness of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine assessed using data from a large healthcare database from the Kaiser Permanente organisation.

“In general, if the objective of vaccination is to prevent illness and prevent continued spread of infection, the information suggests need for boosters six months after completion of the first vaccine course, particularly among the most vulnerable, in whom infection may lead to more severe illness and death. This approach has already been adopted in the UK, where the booster campaign is now under way.”
Pfizer scientists admit that natural immunity is stronger than vaccine.

I don't understand, if natural immunity is superior why are so many people dead?
Look at the death rate now vs. a few months after it started. They didn't know how to treat it early on. The argument isn't whether or not to get the vaccine if you did not get Covid, the question is whether it makes sense if you had Covid and recovered.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT