ADVERTISEMENT

COVID cancellations coming

TDHelmick

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Cumberland, MD
www.nationalchamps.net
Living in Maryland (ugh!) we are already hearing and seeing high school athletic events for next month postponed or cancelled due to the latest COVID variant scares by the COVIDIAN culture. If the last 20 months have taught us anything, know full well cancellations are still coming. It won't surprise me if the Baltimore/DC corridor cancels fall sports for the 2nd straight year. Mask mandates being laid out as this is being typed for all indoor locations/schools whether vaccinated or not (see White House).

Man I should have never left Florida.

But I do forsee some college athletic events cancelled this fall across the US still (see NC State baseball). That's not a matter of if, but how many. Brace yourself, a virus does not magically disappear. Nor does the fear factor and liability that came with it.

• Sad
Reactions: JCC1213
I think the fan experience could be jeopardized...but with teams that are close to 80-90% vaccination--I don't see why those contests would be cancelled.

I think there might be a few cancellations/forfeits in lower-tier conferences, but I just can't imagine any of the big money-making conferences will have vax rates so low to where, even if there is an "outbreak," that enough players would be affected to actually cancel a game.

I talked about this with Aslan on Wake up Warchant. Last year games were getting canceled because 40 players were in contact tracing. Or whole position groups were wiped out. Well, if - and I guess this is an 'if' at this point - you're vaxxed then I don't think close-contact tracing will be implemented. You'll be tested. And if you're negative, and vaccinated, you will be allowed to play. Otherwise, what was the point of getting the shot?

College football is all about making money. Last year was a huge hit. I can't fathom where these schools will forfeit games (and all that money) because 4 players test positive for COVID. Last year, with contact tracing, four players could mean 24 players being quarantined. But if those other 20 players are vaccinated, then in reality, there should be absolutely no quarantining.

It's why Saban already has a 90 percent vax rate on his team. Because it's a huge competitive advantage and it guarantees (or should anyway) that COVID won't decimate his team in a given week.

Hopefully every major program follows suit and we can have a somewhat normal season this fall.

Serious question, why is the 80-90% number so important? Why not 100%?
I'm guessing there will always be those who choose 'not' to be vaccinated. I'm guessing every major program or Power 5 program--will have 95-100% vaccinations.

But if it's so important, then there is no reason to not test the vaxxed just as much as the unvaxxed. We KNOW the vaxxed are passing it along to others.

If being vaxxed makes you safe but you still pass it, then we are past the point of the vaccine being a plan to stop the spread. If we can get it from vaxxed and unvaxxed, then the only issue should be if we want to protect ourselves from it.

Serious question, why is the 80-90% number so important? Why not 100%?
Because it gives you the health standard herd immunity. When you reach 85% within a social group a virus has a very hard time with transmission and dies out or becomes so weak it’s no longer a societal threat. In larger groups like nations the number is a little lower, closer to 75%. It’s why governments want to see that threshold of vaccinations met. It also makes new variants harder to develop. For example the new Delta variant that is spreading so quickly was first found in India, I believe, where they had a low vax rate. I’m not a doc. I represent a group of large hospitals and hear the discussions and data from them. So 85% is a target that most epidemiology points to as a best case for preventing transmissibility.

I'm guessing there will always be those who choose 'not' to be vaccinated. I'm guessing every major program or Power 5 program--will have 95-100% vaccinations.
Well, now you have bigger number who don't want to get the vaccine. That is clear. How does choice change transmittability?

Seems to me that if: it's a threat, and both vaxxed and unvaxxed get it (Israel is showing MOST bad cases are vaxxed there), and vaxxed are safe if they get it, then why does anyone care if the unvaxxed get it?

Reactions: mxhudso and nynole1
I think there might be a few cancellations/forfeits in lower-tier conferences, but I just can't imagine any of the big money-making conferences will have vax rates so low to where, even if there is an "outbreak," that enough players would be affected to actually cancel a game.

I talked about this with Aslan on Wake up Warchant. Last year games were getting canceled because 40 players were in contact tracing. Or whole position groups were wiped out. Well, if - and I guess this is an 'if' at this point - you're vaxxed then I don't think close-contact tracing will be implemented. You'll be tested. And if you're negative, and vaccinated, you will be allowed to play. Otherwise, what was the point of getting the shot?

College football is all about making money. Last year was a huge hit. I can't fathom where these schools will forfeit games (and all that money) because 4 players test positive for COVID. Last year, with contact tracing, four players could mean 24 players being quarantined. But if those other 20 players are vaccinated, then in reality, there should be absolutely no quarantining.

It's why Saban already has a 90 percent vax rate on his team. Because it's a huge competitive advantage and it guarantees (or should anyway) that COVID won't decimate his team in a given week.

Hopefully every major program follows suit and we can have a somewhat normal season this fall.
College football is all about making money. The man speaketh the truth.

Because it gives you the health standard herd immunity. When you reach 85% within a social group a virus has a very hard time with transmission and dies out. In larger groups like nations the number is a little lower, closer to 75%. It’s why governments want to see that threshold of vaccinations met. It also makes new variants harder to develop. For example the new Delta variant that is spreading so quickly was first found in India, I believe, where they had a low vax rate. I’m not a doc. I represent a group of large hospitals and hear the discussions and data from them. So 85% is a target that most epidemiology points to as a best case for preventing transmissibility.
I know that, but that does not work in that group. That's a few hundred people, who live and interact in a much larger world. We need nationwide HI, not football team. I mean, I totally get what you are saying in a big picture, but we are extrapolating a concept that simply does not apply there.

Also, HI is a macro issue. The testing here is purported to protect the players and stuff. It is not a social experiment to bring people in line (or maybe it is).

But if it's so important, then there is no reason to not test the vaxxed just as much as the unvaxxed. We KNOW the vaxxed are passing it along to others.

If being vaxxed makes you safe but you still pass it, then we are past the point of the vaccine being a plan to stop the spread. If we can get it from vaxxed and unvaxxed, then the only issue should be if we want to protect ourselves from it.
The NCAA follows CDC protocols. The CDC says 80-90% is likely necessary for heard immunity. That is where the number comes from. It's not a sports debate and, once again, from a football standpoint is it not important.

Again, herd immunity is a national thing. It's not an issue for a few hundred people.

There is no science behind how they are doing this. I think it's all silly, but i could at least understand testing everyone since the science shows the virus is still spreading through them. I would not do that but I would at least see consistency. Indeed, I think this is what has been so bad with messaging. We have had very few sensible responses.

Well, now you have bigger number who don't want to get the vaccine. That is clear. How does choice change transmittability?

Seems to me that if: it's a threat, and both vaxxed and unvaxxed get it (Israel is showing MOST bad cases are vaxxed there), and vaxxed are safe if they get it, then why does anyone care if the unvaxxed get it?
Because they are the ones filling up our hospitals and ICUs.

At this point, it's about limiting hospitalizations, deaths & mitigating the chances of overwhelming health systems again. Infections may rise again but as long as hospitalizations & deaths are curbed, people getting infected with Covid could just be used for headlines by some outlets. However, people getting infected is still important because the virus can continue to mutate to produce more variants, which will continue to open pandora's box. So reducing spread is still vital.

If you're vaxxed, you can still spread it and you also won't get seriously sick or die from variants. So it's up to you to remain protected with the vaxx or take your chances.

Bottom line for me is: Protect yourself & your families, if you can.
Bottom line for organizations: Protect your org & mitigate liability.

Last edited:

From a public health perspective, the vaccine reduces transmissibility significantly, though it does not eliminate it entirely. The biggest concern with unvaccinated people in the future is that mutations will occur and it is possible that vaccines may not stop them.

I know that, but that does not work in that group. That's a few hundred people, who live and interact in a much larger world. We need nationwide HI, not football team. I mean, I totally get what you are saying in a big picture, but we are extrapolating a concept that simply does not apply there.

Also, HI is a macro issue. The testing here is purported to protect the players and stuff. It is not a social experiment to bring people in line (or maybe it is).
I think what they really want is 100% participation by every team. That not a reality unless vax is mandated, which won’t happen. So the next best target is what science says is likely for heard immunity in any group. I think we all get that the team will have contacts outside of the group but that is outside of their control, short of a lockdown. So it’s simply an attempt to do the best they can at keeping players Covid free. Not much else they can do. Of course if you are an anti vaxxer then you don’t care if they get Covid or not and none of this would matter.

Reactions: MIKE_G
I'm not sure where everyone is getting this "breakthrough cases are common" idea. They aren't. False positives are more common, but the vaccine significantly reduces the spread and possibility of mutants that can break through. The NCAA has lacked in the decision making area since the start of the pandemic.

Reactions: Natedog1028
Don’t really think people who are not getting the vaccine are worried about a microchip lol. They proly just don’t see the point when a lot of people who are vaccinated also are getting Covid
Testing positive and experiencing mild symptoms vs. requiring hospitalization is the point. Vaccinations working means they keep you from getting extremely sick and possibly dying. Delta has been able to break thru the vaccine to a higher degree than any previous variant, but few vaccinated people have experienced severe covid symptoms.

Its cute you think you actually know whats in it.
Some know

o7hVwpU.jpg

The NCAA follows CDC protocols. The CDC says 80-90% is likely necessary for heard immunity. That is where the number comes from. It's not a sports debate and, once again, from a football standpoint is it not important.
If the Ncaa follows the CDC we are in for a roller coaster ride. The CDC makes changes to their protocols weekly.

Testing positive and experiencing mild symptoms vs. requiring hospitalization is the point. Vaccinations working means they keep you from getting extremely sick and possibly dying. Delta has been able to break thru the vaccine to a higher degree than any previous variant, but few vaccinated people have experienced severe covid symptoms.
Ya this week. But your blind if you havent seen that definition change basically weekely. Interesting how its the only vaccination with that loose definition. I hope I only get a mild case polio since Im vaccinated from that. Fingers crossed.

• Haha
Reactions: MIKE_G and AllNoles
There will be college games postponed, I have no doubt. Sorry to have to bring up the NC State baseball situation again, which was really less than a month ago. That should be proof enough.

Money talks when it comes to playing games, but fans in the stands is another issue. This will vary state-to-state but rest assured a capacity limit will be set based on local/national metrics. Not so much in Alabama or Florida.

FYI, less than 25% of high school athletes are vaccinated. I told all Maryland Athletic Directors I work with to embrace for another covid routing of "things change daily".

From a public health perspective, the vaccine reduces transmissibility significantly, though it does not eliminate it entirely. The biggest concern with unvaccinated people in the future is that mutations will occur and it is possible that vaccines may not stop them.
Are you saying the vaccine only mutates with non vaxxed?

There was speculation/rumor at the ACC mtg that the FSU vax rate was <70% and closer to 60%. Keep in mind, this number includes walkons and not just scholarship players.

I hope I only get a mild case polio since Im vaccinated from that. Fingers crossed.
Over 90% of Americans are vaccinated for polio right there with you. That has certainly helped your chances.

Ya this week. But your blind if you havent seen that definition change basically weekely. Interesting how its the only vaccination with that loose definition. I hope I only get a mild case polio since Im vaccinated from that. Fingers crossed.
You do realize polio was eradicated because of a vaccine right? It wasn't an option to get it if you wanted to participate in society pretty much. Not sure you're making a good argument for not getting the Covid vaccine.

Reactions: SteveT1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT