ADVERTISEMENT

Curious about the locked thread..

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwgwi

Star Player
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2003
You know the one DFS slept (sorry ‘worked’) through. So some posters seemed to revert to slurs and cutting comments when challenged. Left me wondering...how do they act in the workplace and personal relationships?

Interesting topic. I may have been blunt hard for me to tell, since I work in a Alpha male environment where you can tell someone they are a football bat (in more aggressive words) and no one blinks an eye. To the question at hand I think where you work, who you work with etc. has an impact on how you interact with others. My line of work mistakes leads to people dying, like many professions the higher level of stress and consequences the more likely you will be blunt and maybe even what some people think is mean. I have called out people that have much more power and rank than me and not been very professional about it; but in the end it is because bad decisions have an effect on life and death in my line of work. How I was raised in the military also as an impact on my interactions. Most of my senior leaders were Vietnam Vets when I came in and they didn't mince words or actions.

I know I’d be shocked to discover that people act differently when posting on the internet anonymously than when they’re face to face with people in the real world.

Well no shocker there; if you have to look at someone in the face you are likely to be much less of the person you think you are on line.

I may have been blunt hard for me to tell

BS. E-1, E-9, O-1, O-10. You know when you cross a line. You learn the rules quick. You're not the only one who ever served. I don't have an issue but to throw it off on the military is total crap or even Basic would be a CF much less the 75th Regiment. We all know where the line is located.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmanole
Interesting topic. I may have been blunt hard for me to tell, since I work in a Alpha male environment where you can tell someone they are a football bat (in more aggressive words) and no one blinks an eye. To the question at hand I think where you work, who you work with etc. has an impact on how you interact with others. My line of work mistakes leads to people dying, like many professions the higher level of stress and consequences the more likely you will be blunt and maybe even what some people think is mean. I have called out people that have much more power and rank than me and not been very professional about it; but in the end it is because bad decisions have an effect on life and death in my line of work. How I was raised in the military also as an impact on my interactions. Most of my senior leaders were Vietnam Vets when I came in and they didn't mince words or actions.

What a lovely dramatic flourish!

DID YOU ORDER THE CODE RED?

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you", and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to!

maxresdefault.jpg

Well no shocker there; if you have to look at someone in the face you are likely to be much less of the person you think you are on line.
Except you, calling out people much more powerful with much more rank, right?

Maybe we should all start using bun-burger-bun:

Hey _______, I really liked your post in the prom thread. However, this one might be the dumbest, most idiotic thing anyone's ever posted on Warchant. Are you that freaking clueless? But I do look forward to future contributions as I typically enjoy your posts. Have a good one!

I speak differently to different people with whom I interact during the course of the day. To those within my office, I keep it loose and professional. With the contractors in the field, sometimes a more stern tone is necessary. Still professional but the point comes across.

On here, I try not to post anything I wouldn't say to someone if they were standing in front of me.

You have to be able to adapt to your "audience". What flys at the bar doesn't fly at the office.

I speak differently to different people with whom I interact during the course of the day. To those within my office, I keep it loose and professional. With the contractors in the field, sometimes a more stern tone is necessary. Still professional but the point comes across.

On here, I try not to post anything I wouldn't say to someone if they were standing in front of me.
This.

In the office talking to co-workers, my employees, etc. I am professional and stern when I have to be.

When I'm among friends, there may be a few f bombs.

Slurs are never acceptable, even with friends.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Speaking of F bombs-

Outside of work, everyone uses colorful language around here. At work, it's used farrrr less often, if at all.

When I deal with clients/co-workers in the NE- there's F bombs and #@$#^ flying everywhere in a professional setting.

Speaking of F bombs-

Outside of work, everyone uses colorful language around here. At work, it's used farrrr less often, if at all.

When I deal with clients/co-workers in the NE- there's F bombs and #@$#^ flying everywhere in a professional setting.
I very rarely curse any time and it took a conscious effort to stop. I did cuss like a sailor but decided to stop when our daughter was born almost 28 years ago. I figured she would hear it enough outside the house that it didn't need to be reinforced inside. Now, I can hit my finger with a hammer and not a single profanity will spew forth. Cursing is a habit just as not is.

If you hear a curse word come out of my mouth it's on purpose for effect.

Reactions: shakane
BS. E-1, E-9, O-1, O-10. You know when you cross a line. You learn the rules quick. You're not the only one who ever served. I don't have an issue but to throw it off on the military is total crap or even Basic would be a CF much less the 75th Regiment. We all know where the line is located.

I think it's very different in SF, though my experience in Group was short compared to Ranger's, every one on an ODA has a voice and you're expected to use it. The special operations community is a lot different than the rest of the military. The 75th is still infantry and relies heavily on discipline and the chain of command as their cornerstones. Though they fall under USSOCOM their mores are different from Group.

You know the one DFS slept (sorry ‘worked’) through. So some posters seemed to revert to slurs and cutting comments when challenged. Left me wondering...how do they act in the workplace and personal relationships?

You do recognize some people challenge with slurs and cutting comments? A message board is a good platform of expressing ones opinions and thoughts but a poor place for debate or dissecting differentiating opinions. The temptation to reach for low hanging fruit is more than any of us can stand and there is justifiable reasons why it is forbidden.

Reactions: TennNole17
I post here similarly to how I talk among friends. I cuss a lot less here because we can't but I'm no internet tough guy. If I think you are an idiot I will tell you on a message board or to your face. Life is easier that way. No need to have multiple personalities for multiple venues.

I have been in my current job for 5 years +, and cursed for the first time last month. In my work env it ISN'T common, but we do have a couple who are known for it. I was so pissed on a call that it just slipped. I commented to my boss about it and he says "meh, it was completely justified.." I was not cussing AT someone just ABOUT something so I am sure that is the major difference.

I very rarely curse any time and it took a conscious effort to stop. I did cuss like a sailor but decided to stop when our daughter was born almost 28 years ago. I figured she would hear it enough outside the house that it didn't need to be reinforced inside. Now, I can hit my finger with a hammer and not a single profanity will spew forth. Cursing is a habit just as not is.

If you hear a curse word come out of my mouth it's on purpose for effect.

I have really tried to clean up my language to the next level when we had kids. There will be plenty of opportunities for them to hear it elsewhere. Like daily in any public situation. But I cuss like a mothertrucker when I hurt myself. Maybe you don't know how swing a hammer like a man. :)

13305-img1.jpg

To the OPs comments, I suspect many people on the internet are completely different in person, but this forum is pretty tame in comparison. The jackboots here seem to maintain order so I would think many/most are the same here as they would be in person. Course I didn't see the thread being referred to.

I am a lot nicer on here than I am in real life. If anything was said on here(it would take a lot) to make me call someone an idiot, it would be a lot worse in person. Takes a lot for me run out of patience with someone but when I do I don't mind letting them know.

Well that was a pretty pathetic post. Note to self no posting after a midnight and a few cocktails. Anyways my point is interaction, tone, language etc. is based on work environment and personalities. While I would never call say a Col. and idiot; I have done it to Captains and Lt's plenty of times and even did it to a Major once. As Free said the SOF environment is very different than even conventional combat arms and SOF is a different planet than support jobs in the military. Here is what every new team commander in SF (a Captain with about 4-6 years in) is told day 1. Hey Sir welcome so you are here for 18-24 months this is my team so we will not let you %%%% this up. The conversations we have with different races, religions, etc. would be considered hate speech by many; yet at the end of the day we would all take a bullet for each other. As far as calling people out that is a norm, you screw up, etc you will get abuse for it; heck I am calling my self out for a stupid poorly worded post. Bottom line your reputation starts the day you enter any of the SOF selection processes and if you are a turd it will follow you forever. It is probably no different than other jobs where the path is long and difficult to just even get in the game. Hopefully this makes more sense

Reactions: Bartdog
Well that was a pretty pathetic post. Note to self no posting after a midnight and a few cocktails. Anyways my point is interaction, tone, language etc. is based on work environment and personalities. While I would never call say a Col. and idiot; I have done it to Captains and Lt's plenty of times and even did it to a Major once. As Free said the SOF environment is very different than even conventional combat arms and SOF is a different planet than support jobs in the military. Here is what every new team commander in SF (a Captain with about 4-6 years in) is told day 1. Hey Sir welcome so you are here for 18-24 months this is my team so we will not let you %%%% this up. The conversations we have with different races, religions, etc. would be considered hate speech by many; yet at the end of the day we would all take a bullet for each other. As far as calling people out that is a norm, you screw up, etc you will get abuse for it; heck I am calling my self out for a stupid poorly worded post. Bottom line your reputation starts the day you enter any of the SOF selection processes and if you are a turd it will follow you forever. It is probably no different than other jobs where the path is long and difficult to just even get in the game. Hopefully this makes more sense
You're out in the real world now. Can't rely on the 'we talk this way at work' crutch to excuse publicly brash behavior (or what you admittedly refer to as hate speech).

I don't exhibit my work personality socially or my social personality at work. It's called being a professional.

You're out in the real world now. Can't rely on the 'we talk this way at work' crutch to excuse publicly brash behavior (or what you admittedly refer to as hate speech).

I don't exhibit my work personality socially or my social personality at work. It's called being a professional.

Agreed and my comments were related to work conversations. When I have conversations with normal everyday people they are vastly different. I also tend to disengage if I am dealing with an idiot, don't have the patience for it.

Reactions: FreeFlyNole
I agree better to keep work and personal stuff separate. But many people can't help themselves and that tends to create problems when one person doesn't share the same views as the rest of the group.

The degree to which people talk about about politics and social issues in the workplace depends on the particular workplace. It happens all over, the conversations are just different.

Earlier you mentioned "Most of my senior leaders were Vietnam Vets when I came in and they didn't mince words or actions." - this is the same generation of soldier that bitched for decades that they were treated horribly upon their return and that the US had turned to crap and really wasn't worth fighting for anymore. Did it ever occur to you that refusal to "mince words or actions" was one of the reasons they no longer fit in with "regular Americans"?

The same rules I was taught in the 60s still apply - if you want people to treat you politely and respectfully, then treat them politely and with respect. Simply stated, "mince your words or find yourself on the outside looking in". The ubiquitous "thank you for your service" comments will disappear very quickly if uniformed soldiers return to the antisocial behavior that Viet Nam vets cloaked themselves in during the 70s.

Reactions: goldmom
Lawd Ranger, you need some commas and periods and paragraphs. Message gets diluted into tl;dr because of that, jmo.

Nolomite summary: Golden Rule?

Reactions: LesClaypool
Earlier you mentioned "Most of my senior leaders were Vietnam Vets when I came in and they didn't mince words or actions." - this is the same generation of soldier that bitched for decades that they were treated horribly upon their return and that the US had turned to crap and really wasn't worth fighting for anymore. Did it ever occur to you that refusal to "mince words or actions" was one of the reasons they no longer fit in with "regular Americans"?

That was the narrative Hollywood set and was absolute hogwash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT