ADVERTISEMENT

De'Andre Johnson video SIAP

Seems like there is the possibility she dropped an N bomb at some point, does this change anything for anyone?

To me, it just makes me feel more secure in the thought that both should have been punished in some way, and leave the kid on the team but don't let him play/practice till his punishment is over. Give her some community service, he gets probation and some service hours too, neither is allowed back in the bar again. That would be the most 'right' thing to do IMO.

I kinda laugh at the "he clearly was grabbing the bar to keep from falling" mentality. No he wasn't he was doing the standard "I've been waiting a long ass time to get a drink (why he is drinking is another topic for another time), and I am going to claim a spot." Girl hipchecks him has he tries to slide past the water buffaloes leaving the watering hole, he probably says something, she jaws d bows up, and we all saw what happened after.

Now as for the reason for dismissal/expulsion vs a year's suspension: He lied to Jimbo. When asked directly about the situation, he told Jimbo that he was swinging on a guy, missed and hit the girl. If there is one thing we know about Jimbo, its that you do not lie to him. Thus DJ is no longer with the team.

Seems like there is the possibility she dropped an N bomb at some point, does this change anything for anyone?

To me, it just makes me feel more secure in the thought that both should have been punished in some way, and leave the kid on the team but don't let him play/practice till his punishment is over. Give her some community service, he gets probation and some service hours too, neither is allowed back in the bar again. That would be the most 'right' thing to do IMO.

If you look at his reaction after getting hit, he almost looks like he will shake it off and make the right choice. To me there is a pregnant pause between her hit and him swinging, and she says or starts to say something that looks like it starts with N.

As I said earlier in this thread and in another on the free sports board, that is about the only thing I could see as a mitigating factor in his reaction, not that I condone it in any shape or form (sad that I have to make that statement)

This is way more of a complicated a situation then I think many men are willing to give it. I feel bad for Johnson. To be clear he screwed up bad and he should not have hit her. And he is now paying a big price. I know this is not the PC take nor the common take, but the video for me, makes me more sympathetic to him than I was before.

Almost all men can recognize that in a perfect vacuum, it is never right to hit a woman unless there are some serious extenuating circumstances (and a drunk loon at a bar initiating a fight with you is not extenuating enough). For most men, this is an extremely easy principal to adhere to. As I am sure the other male posters here can attest, this is one value we really don't have to "work" at.

But for a small percentage of men, for some reason, they think it is ok (often after consuming alcohol or drugs) to hit a woman. But the thing is, when these men hit/assault members of the fairer sex, they are almost always are in a domestic violence situation. And since domestic violence involves either a lover or family member, the act is truly unforgivable because the man knows the woman he is assaulting. He knows who they are, why they are mad, and should know how to diffuse it or how to walk away without knocking her out in an elevator. The act almost has a premeditated feel to it.

This however not that case in this event where two strangers collided over literally the same square foot. In this case, Johnson got caught up in a 10 second escalation with a woman who really overreacted and escalated the entire event and made a poor decision to strike back. This to me makes it complicated to judge him so quickly or harshly. We can all say we would never hurt or hit a woman and as I said above, it is a pretty easy core value to live by. But we also have never been drunk and been verbally and physically assaulted an instant by an unknown woman either. I have watched the video a dozen times. It is fascinating. There was no time to diffuse the situation. Sadly, neither had friends there that could help diffuse it either. She just blows up. If you watch he gets wedged between a larger girl and the angry girl and finds himself in that no mans land of losing balance (he actually grabs the bar to prevent from almost falling). Angry girl makes no effort to give him space and I swear intentionally gives no inch like an NBA center boxing out her space. Finally, something has to give and the lesser sized girl gets moved a bit as he pops into the space. And in an instant she is clearly spewing angry words and most likely physical threats, holding her hand up to punch (not for a second is she pointing). He grabs her balled fist punching arm and says one thing and the girl then she tries to knee him in the groin and takes a swing at him, connecting in some fashion. This all happens in like 4 seconds. And Johnson then makes the wrong split second choice and punches her back. I think for many men like myself who have been never hit a woman and done so with little effort, this situation may be a bigger test than we realize. If I take an honest look and imagine a buzzed or drunk college age me having this woman do the exact same thing to me at a bar with zero warning, I would like to say I would have walked away. But, I am not sure I would not have swung back, and regretted it instantly. The whole think was so fast, it was almost a reflexive action.

Last evening on ESPN Radio's Jorge Sedano had a good take on it I though . Basically remind your sons it is never ok to strike a woman. You will never ever win that fight. But tell your daughters it is never ok to bow up to a man in public and act physically hostile and strike them or you may end up getting punched, even if you are a woman.

I totally just plagerized you on another site. These are my sentiments exactly. I can understand why FSU booted him, and I don't excuse him from his actions, but it was a crap spot to be put in.

I think for some reason a lot of our fans are giving this kid the benefit of the doubt? Implying she said the "N" word? I'm skeptical because that would have been already made public. More likely he called her fat or something when she initially turned to face him. Grabbing the bar to balance himself? Have you ever been to a bar in Tally? Theres significant jockeying around to get to the front, the girl was there first and DJ pushed past her to try and get to the open spot. He didn't hit her hard or anything, but somehow it escalated (obviously words). I also have a difficult time calling what she did a "punch". I mean she threw an arm out, but it was more of a get off of me flailing of her arm than anything that could hurt someone.

He had to go if for no other reason than you can't really suspend a kid who's going to RS anyway. You could ban him from the facility for half the season but at that point he's probably so far behind JJ and DF in the 2016 QB competition that he might as well transfer anyway. And if he lied to Jimbo, he's even stupider than I thought when he knew there was a video tape of the incident.

Now that he's been dismissed, Jimbo's thoughts on his punch:

"Now that I've seen the film? Solid shot. I suspected it was gonna be a good one from what I'd heard, but you never know until you see the film. Thought he showed tremendous velocity and follow through. Here's what I always say...you don't have to always knock 'em out. Know what I mean? Knock 'em back, regroup, let your friends help control the situation.You don't have to win a fight with one punch. But I was pleased with his mechanics. I really was."

Reactions: Bartdog
I do believe that both should be charged with assault and battery as they both escalated the situation. With that said, he still cannot remain on the team.

Now that he's been dismissed, Jimbo's thoughts on his punch:

"Now that I've seen the film? Solid shot. I suspected it was gonna be a good one from what I'd heard, but you never know until you see the film. Thought he showed tremendous velocity and follow through. Here's what I always say...you don't have to always knock 'em out. Know what I mean? Knock 'em back, regroup, let your friends help control the situation.You don't have to win a fight with one punch. But I was pleased with his mechanics. I really was."
does laughing at this make me a bad person?

I totally just plagerized you on another site. These are my sentiments exactly. I can understand why FSU booted him, and I don't excuse him from his actions, but it was a crap spot to be put in.
Fine by me!

Regarding the grab of the counter, I re watched the video again and done some non-expert holiday inn express analysis. He is indeed not using it for balance but leverage to get in. But I can also add now he is trying to get to an open spot next to miss angry pants and trying to get the girls to his left to slide over so he can move in. Miss angry pants slid into her spot a fraction of a second before and right in front of him to so it was not like she was not just sitting there the whole time and he came crashing into her space. At that point miss Angry pants gets mad at DJ being up against her as he tries to heard the water buffalo away on his left. Miss angry pants cranes her neck and looks back at him and you can see her clearly start pushing back up against him and then even start banging her back against him hard (borderline throws a left elbow at the end) until he slides in to the one spot. Then she spins around (she spins around because she was pushing back so hard that when he finally moves she loses her balance a bit) and flares up like a pack of hemorrhoids. The entire event from her glaring at him as he goes to slide behind her, to the spin and raised fist, to the knee to the punch is 19 seconds.

Last edited:
I think for some reason a lot of our fans are giving this kid the benefit of the doubt?

the way i see it, he exercised tremendous restraint right up until the point he got punched in the face.

if you want to hold him responsible for what happened after he got hit in the face first, then you are basically saying he must turn the other cheek. but if you want to kick him off the team for not turning the other cheek, then you really are not living up to your own standard.

hitting back was the wrong thing to do but I don't think a jury will convict him. they'll see her right fist that he restrains. they'll see her knee to the crotch. they'll see her land the left hook to his face. not saying he's justified, but rather that I hope I never get tested like he was.

I kinda laugh at the "he clearly was grabbing the bar to keep from falling" mentality. No he wasn't he was doing the standard "I've been waiting a long ass time to get a drink (why he is drinking is another topic for another time), and I am going to claim a spot." Girl hipchecks him has he tries to slide past the water buffaloes leaving the watering hole, he probably says something, she jaws d bows up, and we all saw what happened after.

This

Probably grew up being taught we are all equal...tough lesson.

Last edited:
She was the total aggressor here. He grabbed her arm/hand to stop her from hitting him. Don't understand how that is not obvious.

The police and the SAO and a lot of college sports fans who want proper behavior out of our athletes saw it another way. The person who first escalated this to the level of physical battery is who got charged. The person who tried with what little means she had to fight him off and get him to let go did not. Probably her verbal involvement and her holding up an 8 year olds "thumb fist" before he chose to grab her right arm (he most likely already had hold of her left) is probably why he only got battery and not assault. But she won't be charged and she shouldn't be. You grab somebody smaller and weaker than you and police and SAO will give them some leeway in trying to fight you off, even throwing a little weak sauce 'punch'.

I swear, there are not enough bags of Ds for Meggs to suck on. Apparently everyone who thinks a swing, kick to the groin, and dropping an N bomb on someone merits a charge is an 'idiot.'

If you don't think that merits charges, fine, whatever, but it's not idiocy to think those three actions in total might merit something.

Was talking with my brother about this last night. His take on it was the same as mine - we both ran into this type of person lots of times while out drinking at FSU. We never punched her in the face.
If you watch the whole video it's clear that they are both jockeying for the spot at the bar long before it comes open. The sloppy girl has the inside leverage and makes her move when the girls leave. DJ shoves his way in but she does her best to hip check him out. He grabs the bar to give himself some leverage to push back. She spins to confront him and everything turns to shit as he grabs her arm. Never lay hands on someone unless you're prepared for the consequences. He's paying them now.

Reactions: dmm5157
I swear, there are not enough bags of Ds for Meggs to suck on. Apparently everyone who thinks a swing, kick to the groin, and dropping an N bomb on someone merits a charge is an 'idiot.'

If you don't think that merits charges, fine, whatever, but it's not idiocy to think those three actions in total might merit something.
Did Meggs really refer to those asking why she wasn't charged as idiots? Really? Wow!

The bar were totally in the wrong imo. I doubt he was even carded before he brought his narrow behind in there. I'm picture myself as a kid getting a severe switch whipping from momma, but sadly , that's an Un heard of thing these days.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Why did he go to Yanni's. I though all 19 year olds that wanted to drink went to the Library or the Sweet Shop.

If the other individual in this encounter was a 6'3" male, who raised a fist, tried to knee Johnson, then took a swing at him, would your opinion differ on what consequences he should suffer?

I absolutely agree with kicking him off the team. He needs to be kicked off the team.

However, I don't think it is such an egregious act that he doesn't deserve a second chance somewhere else.

First she threatens to punch him, and rather than punch defensively, he holds her fist down. Then she attacks him. He was wrong, but I think the split second reaction you have from being kneed in the balls and smacked in the nose is not necessarily super rational. I'd like to think that I'm hard wired to never hit a woman, but I've done other really stupid stuff in the heat of anger/surprise. I don't see a guy that went out looking to beat a woman, or even hit her simply out of anger. It's an inappropriate defensive response, based on the victim, but I don't think it's clear that he's a sick woman-abuser or anything.

He should have to start over somewhere else.

Reactions: noleclone2
If the other individual in this encounter was a 6'3" male, who raised a fist, tried to knee Johnson, then took a swing at him, would your opinion differ on what consequences he should suffer?
Heck, you don't have to go that far. If the only thing you change about the other person is their gender, then most people's opinion of the situation would also change.

Heck, you don't have to go that far. If the only thing you change about the other person is their gender, then most people's opinion of the situation would also change.

I suspect you're right. It's interesting to me to see where folks drawn the line on 'gender equality'.

He needs to be kicked off the team.
I just don't understand the rationale behind this sentiment, at this point in the situation.

To me, getting dismissed should mainly be for multiple offenses (failed drug tests, multiple run-ins with the law, etc), felony charges, and anything else stipulated in the CoC. Especially for a kid like DJ who seems to be known as a good kid. Because they know when they're taking a chance on someone with shaky character, and when they're not.

What if literally nothing else comes of this? Legally, it's not completely improbable for him to get off without so much as a warning or a fine, or nothing at all. Then what?

He's charged with a misdemeanor, why can't you just bar him from football activities until the case is resolved?

I'm having trouble finding an article on it, maybe an older FSU fan with a better memory than I can recall, but I believe Mario Edwards Sr had something like this occur during his time at FSU (not the hitting a woman part, but the being barred from football activities part).

But then again, I'm contrarian by nature, and at times, to a fault; I'll wear that.

Reactions: Banditking
Tommy I think ultimately it is a culmination of things that, at least for me personally, lead to the belief that he needed to be dismissed. Between the overall current climate, the fact that FSU has been under scrutiny, the fact that there is a video of him knocking the snot out of this girl, and finally that he probably lied to Jimbo about it all, that all adds up to him being gone.

Tommy I think ultimately it is a culmination of things that, at least for me personally, lead to the belief that he needed to be dismissed. Between the overall current climate, the fact that FSU has been under scrutiny, the fact that there is a video of him knocking the snot out of this girl, and finally that he probably lied to Jimbo about it all, that all adds up to him being gone.
To me that's a problem, the kid shouldn't be punished because of the 'climate' or what's happened (or didn't happen) at FSU, and we don't know he lied to Jimbo at all.

Heck, he may not have even had the chance to lie to Jimbo, as it seems he's been on vacation for a few weeks.

But the video is what caused this ultimately, which is dumb. Sorry, but it is. Mixon at OU is back on the team because his video was suppressed, and Rice got more than two games because his video hit the press (although he may not have been completely forthright, but still). Which is dumb.

When people read "punches woman" do they expect something vastly different from what they end up seeing on the video? The woman Mixon hit had like four fractures in her face, do people really need to see the video of that to know it was wrong? Why does seeing the video make it more wrong?

Reactions: DFSNOLE
I just don't understand the rationale behind this sentiment, at this point in the situation.

To me, getting dismissed should mainly be for multiple offenses (failed drug tests, multiple run-ins with the law, etc), felony charges, and anything else stipulated in the CoC. Especially for a kid like DJ who seems to be known as a good kid. Because they know when they're taking a chance on someone with shaky character, and when they're not.

What if literally nothing else comes of this? Legally, it's not completely improbable for him to get off without so much as a warning or a fine, or nothing at all. Then what?

He's charged with a misdemeanor, why can't you just bar him from football activities until the case is resolved?

I'm having trouble finding an article on it, maybe an older FSU fan with a better memory than I can recall, but I believe Mario Edwards Sr had something like this occur during his time at FSU (not the hitting a woman part, but the being barred from football activities part).

But then again, I'm contrarian by nature, and at times, to a fault; I'll wear that.
Tommy, you dumb.....

Just kidding. I agree with you.

It may not be fair, but 'it is what it is,' as they say.

After all FSU went through last year, there is no way any player in a video like that stays on the team.

To me that's a problem, the kid shouldn't be punished because of the 'climate' or what's happened (or didn't happen) at FSU, and we don't know he lied to Jimbo at all.

Heck, he may not have even had the chance to lie to Jimbo, as it seems he's been on vacation for a few weeks.

But the video is what caused this ultimately, which is dumb. Sorry, but it is. Mixon at OU is back on the team because his video was suppressed, and Rice got more than two games because his video hit the press (although he may not have been completely forthright, but still). Which is dumb.

When people read "punches woman" do they expect something vastly different from what they end up seeing on the video? The woman Mixon hit had like four fractures in her face, do people really need to see the video of that to know it was wrong? Why does seeing the video make it more wrong?

I guess it boils down to what you think the severity of the offense is and compare it to the severity of the punishment.

The "climate" will always dictate punishment. That is the way it has been in the course of human history. Might not be right, might not make for even application of the law/rules, but as someone said: it is what it is.

As for you last paragraph, there are truly some out there who thought that the media was drumming up another terrible story about FSU and thought he might have had less of a physical altercation with the girl than he did. When they saw the video, they were disturbed that the image they had didn't match. More wrong? No, but it puts a graphic image to a crime.

I don't think there is one factor that ultimately caused this, as I said I believe it to be a confluence of events. The young man was, in more ways than one, in the wrong place at the wrong time.

As for him lying to Jimbo. Well I'll just say that highly suspect that is what happened, since we aren't supposed unsubstantiated "I heard from a friend, who knows a guy" rumors.

This has to mark the first time in that girl's life where a man looked at her and thought, "I'd hit that."

that is actually the most exculpatory thing to me. she threatened with her right fist. he grabs it, she lands a left cross to his nose. he retaliates.

what charge is she facing?

I took this same approach on my home board(Louisville) and my opinion did not go over very well.

I watched the video, and the woman was clearly the aggressor. Yeah, I know she's a chic. That doesn't give her a pass to punch someone; I don't care how "weak" she is. Everywhere I look now I get women's equality thrown in my face and this sloppy broad got a fair lesson in equality. Spare me the argument of what a "gentleman" would have done. She carried herself poorly with no class, and therefore did not deserve a gentleman's response.

I would not have kicked him off the team. Fsu would take heat for it but so what? She hit him first. I would have suspended him. Also wouldn't have charged him. Mutual combatant.

Glad he's gone. Good job Jimbo.

I’ve read so many of the comments that she started it* that I went back a few more times to see things I missed. I do have a better understanding of what seemed to happen. My final takeaway on how it evolved seems to go like this:

The girl is waiting in line since the :18 second mark. That's when she makes it to the "2-deep" line and you can see her waiting patiently behind the guy in the white tank top. Then finally at 1:35--1:45 the 3 girls to the left start clearing out, and she can make her way to the bar. But she can tell DJ is trying to muscle up there beside her, and I guess she's mad b/c he has not waited, or should be behind her in ordering or something. Kind of dumb. But so she muscles right back, and then takes that big body of hers and really shoves over to the left. She then turns to confront him very nastily verbally, but you know the basic message is "I was here, you wait your turn"!. DJ grabs hold of her left arm, but she raises up her right arm and makes some kind of 'thumb fist'. She was feisty and was not going to be pulled aside and let him get up there. . Then he grabs both of her arms and is just struggling with her. People say she tried to knee him in the groin, but I see DJ has her pushed over backwards onto the guy in the tank top. About all she could do was try to get some leverage and push this crazy stranger away, and she's yelling 'No/Stop'! But she never kicked, which is what you could do when being leaned backwards. I can't really blame her for wanting to bop him. But she should have known anything could happen the way he was acting. But she's pressing charges so I guess fair is fair. Hope he enjoyed the adrenaline rush. He can take a year off now to prove himself at a JUCO maybe, then somebody like Auburn will pick him up with 4 years to play 4.

[*So I guess who started it really depends on what you're talking about. DJ started the pushing, with his right arm. The girl started the hip checking with that sizable butt of hers. DJ started the grabbing and holding of her arms and pushing her over into the guy behind her. He had waaay crossed the line at that point. She started the "Bopping". DJ started the "Oh, you're gonna swing at me?? I'll show you a Swing.....". Bottom line for me is I put the 'blame' for this incident on the guy who represented my Alma mater so very very poorly. The chick's parents can sleep a lot more soundly over her being feisty and fighting for her bar spot than I would if I were DJ's parents, mentor or coach. At least she's 21 ]

Last edited:
I’ve read so many of the comments that she started it* that I went back a few more times to see things I missed. I do have a better understanding of what seemed to happen. My final takeaway on how it evolved seems to go like this:

The girl is waiting in line since the :18 second mark. That's when she makes it to the "2-deep" line and you can see her waiting patiently behind the guy in the white tank top. Then finally at 1:35--1:45 the 3 girls to the left start clearing out, and she can make her way to the bar. But she can tell DJ is trying to muscle up there beside her, and I guess she's mad b/c he has not waited, or should be behind her or in ordering or something. Kind of dumb. But so she muscles right back, and then takes that big body of hers and really shoves over to the left. She then turns to confront him very nastily verbally, but you know the basic message is "I was here, you wait your turn"!. DJ grabs hold of her left arm, but she raises up her right arm and makes some kind of 'thumb fist'. She was feisty and was not going to be pulled aside and let him get up there. . Then he grabs both of her arms and is just struggling with her. People say she tried to knee him in the groin, but I see DJ has her pushed over backwards onto the guy in the tank top. About all she could do was try to get some leverage and push this crazy stranger away, and she's yelling 'No/Stop'! But she never kicked, which is what you could do when being leaned backwards. I can't really blame her for wanting to bop him. But she should have known anything could happen the way he was acting. But she's pressing charges so I guess fair is fair. Hope he enjoyed the adrenaline rush. He can take a year off now to prove himself at a JUCO maybe, then somebody like Auburn will pick him up with 4 years to play 4.

[*So I guess who started it really depends on what you're talking about. DJ started the pushing, with his right arm. The girl started the hip checking with that sizable butt of hers. DJ started the grabbing and holding of her arms and pushing her over into the guy behind her. He had waaay crossed the line at that point. She started the "Bopping". DJ started the "Oh, you're gonna swing at me?? I'll show you a Swing.....". Bottom line for me is I put the 'blame' for this incident on the guy who represented my Alma mater so very very poorly. The chick's parents can sleep a lot more soundly over her being feisty and fighting for her bar spot than I would if I were DJ's parents, mentor or coach. At least she's 21 ]
You need glasses or something. At no point does he grab her left arm. She initiated every bit of the contact.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT