ADVERTISEMENT

De'Andre Johnson video SIAP

BTW, I watched DA Willie Meggs on local Tallahassee TV last night recounting what he saw in the video, and it pretty much reflects the girls story: DJ wanted to push in front of her to get to the bar. She pushed back, DJ grabbed her and started pushing her over on top of the guy next to her (white tank top). She was telling him 'stop, I was here first'. Meggs didn't say it outright but you could tell he pretty much considers her actions as self defense. No way he, Yiannis, FSU or DJ will ask for charges to be brought against her.
Meggs has to justify his charge against DJ, his lack of charge against her and calling those who believe she should be charged an idiot. Not at all surprising.

BTW,

Meggs is saying he will issue subpoenas to 5 other FSU football players who were in the bar that night.

He's bringing everybody in for questioning. I wonder how many were underage and what all he's digging for here.

BTW,

Meggs is saying he will issue subpoenas to 5 other FSU football players who were in the bar that night.

He's bringing everybody in for questioning. I wonder how many were underage and what all he's digging for here.

I'll add that hopefully this can be quickly processed down to some kind of compromise like a "Nolo Contendere" and community service/probation for DJ. With Meggs, he'll probably throw in paying the girl's doctor bill if she had one. But no good for FSU would come if for some reason this went to trial. Just more headlines for us like how many players were underage drinking.

BTW,

Typical Meggs grandstanding. Still smarting over not being able to charge JW and is looking for a reason to show he's tough on FSU athletes.

BTW, I watched DA Willie Meggs on local Tallahassee TV last night recounting what he saw in the video, and it pretty much reflects the girls story: DJ wanted to push in front of her to get to the bar. She pushed back, DJ grabbed her and started pushing her over on top of the guy next to her (white tank top). She was telling him 'stop, I was here first'. Meggs didn't say it outright but you could tell he pretty much considers her actions as self defense. No way he, Yiannis, FSU or DJ will ask for charges to be brought against her.
Laughable how that is your interpretation of the video. Are you blind? (By you I mean Willie Meggs FYI)

Last edited:
Laughable how that is your interpretation of the video. Are you blind? (By you I mean Willie Meggs FYI)

From today's articles, here's the part of his comments that TV chose not to show:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/09/prosecutor-says-deandre-johnsons-victim-committed-no-crime/

....Johnson initiated the contact with the woman, and the woman was acting in self-defense. She will face no charges.

“A person’s entitled to use self-defense if they’re being battered by someone else, and she certainly was entitled to do what she did,” Meggs said. “She didn’t commit a crime is the reason she’s not charged with a crime.”

He was not entirely recalling the play by play in the right order on TV. He was at some kind of other event, and it was off the cuff when a reporter came by......he's 70 after all. But I don't have a problem with the basics of what he said. I know some people despise that law / might like for men to be able grab hold of women in that manner when they're angered/offended. But the law is quite clear that it's battery or even assault (prosecutorial discretion) to grab hold of a woman like that. Even if it's your girlfriend/wife, let alone a total stranger in a bar. In the old 1940s movies women were always supposed to "slap" when a man got fresh and put hands on them. I guess this girl did a minor modern alteration of that with that little left-handed rabbit punch of hers.

He grabbed her because she raised a fist.

Even if I agreed that she was raising a fist (which I'm not sure I do after watching it another dozen times) it doesn't give him the right to lay his hands on her. He could have just as easily put his hands up to "defend himself".

He grabbed her because she raised a fist.

I watched it on a big enough screen to see that whatever she was raising was not even how a little girl forms a fist. Looked more like a gesture I've seen Special Olympians make. Maybe she was too intoxicated to make one. If DJ thought it was, it was a fist pointed up and behind her. Legally, seeing that does not give you the right to "preemptively" grab her first. When he grabs her and won't let go and pushes her against other patrons, that's legal battery cut and dried. Meggs was simply explaining that in his eyes the law allows a battered woman to fight back.

Last edited:
Even if I agreed that she was raising a fist (which I'm not sure I do after watching it another dozen times) it doesn't give him the right to lay his hands on her. He could have just as easily put his hands up to "defend himself".
She didn't just raise a fist. She was also pushing on his upper chest/throat with her other forearm. She absolutely and undeniably initiated contact.

That's speculation - you can't see in the video if there is any contact between him and her left arm. And if there is it's with his chest, not his throat - let's not get carried away.

He could and should have. But he should not be obligated to.

........you can't see in the video if there is any contact between him and her left arm. And if there is it's with his chest, not his throat.

The left arm question for her is kind of the missing link. You can't see DJ's right arm, but their bodies sway back and forth in unison one time, suggesting that DJ already has a hold of that arm. She 'could be' pushing him away/or holding him off, but with only her hand seeming to be in position to touch this midsection, she would have little leverage. I'd expect to see the full forearm length in contact if she were pushing. So I'm leaning to thinking DJ had hold of that left arm for a couple seconds. If not, nobody had really taken the upper hand yet in escalating it to battery. If the tape had ended there, still no clear evidence to charge one of them at fault over the other.

The left arm question for her is kind of the missing link. You can't see DJ's right arm, but their bodies sway back and forth in unison one time, suggesting that DJ already has a hold of that arm. She 'could be' pushing him away/or holding him off, but with only her hand seeming to be in position to touch this midsection, she would have little leverage. I'd expect to see the full forearm length in contact if she were pushing. So I'm leaning to thinking DJ had hold of that left arm for a couple seconds. If not, nobody had really taken the upper hand yet in escalating it to battery. If the tape had ended there, still no clear evidence to charge one of them at fault over the other.
You do a lot of supposing to support your premise while rejecting what many, many others see clearly.

She didn't just raise a fist. She was also pushing on his upper chest/throat with her other forearm. She absolutely and undeniably initiated contact.
While he's waiting for a spot at the bar and talking to the guy with the glasses a woman steps away. The blonde moves from the right side of the guy with the glasses to the left and wedges her plumpnesss between Mr Glasses and DJ to take the spot vacated at the bar - bitch move. DJ sees what she is doing so he reaches in and grabs the bar. She starts pushing against his arm immediately. While she's doing this, she leans back and says something. She continues to use her substantial girth to block him out with her backside and take up entire open spot, but DJ doesn't release his grip. She turns into him and uses her forearm to shove against his chest. She then proceeds to raise her right hand, balled up in a fist, while shoving him and says something. While it is inaudible, it probably wasn't anything like what are you doing later. He then grabs her hand, which seems prudent given her aggressive manner, and then she kicks him below the waist and takes swing at his head. It appears the latter misses but that's not as clear. He ends it quickly.

Battery; felony battery.—
(1)(a) The offense of battery occurs when a person:
1. Actually and intentionally touches or strikes another person against the will of the other; or
2. Intentionally causes bodily harm to another person.

If she is going to accost individuals who are bigger and more athletic than she is, she should probably look into joining a gym and skipping a few meals.

I in no way advocate hitting a woman, but it's easy to see why some would want to.....

image03.jpg

You do a lot of supposing to support your premise while rejecting what many, many others see clearly.

You support the idea that DJ was in the right. So to you it's people of the opposite view who are doing the 'supposing'. OTOH what your side sees, that's just completely clear. At least I was willing to admit that it's not certain what happened on all aspects of the video. (Other than seeing who clearly first commited legal Battery....legally that was DJ). You guys want to lie to yourselves and paint this as a gator DA conspiracy. I could join you if I wanted to. I've been to all the FSU boards. I know what so many, many of the fan boys see so clearly: Her right knee clearly impacted his scrotum at the 1/2 inch mark below his left Testicle; She never really yelled "No, No!", rather, the other 5 football players clearly heard her saying "N-word!, "N-word!" -- "If you're so dadgum thirsty, why don't you lap up some of THIS"!!.
Of course that's what 'many many others see clearly'.....these are dadgum internet sports sites where people wear garnet-and-gold spectacles. But talk to as many honest and ethical FSU alumni as you can, face to face in real life. I haven't found that the majority of the FSU alumni community or the FSU sports fanbase are seeing what you think is so very, very clear. I find that most abhor what happened with DJ and want to stamp such thuggishness out, not excuse it. Over time -- not just this incident -- I've found that minority leaders of integrity want to label this type behavior as bad, not make excuses for it, and not teach our young people that it's ok for our continued advancement / our communities advancement, to drop down to the level of low, bar gutter trash.

Last edited:
Let me stop you right there. I don't think DJ was 'right,' and I highly doubt DFS or many others do.

I, and if I may speak for those on 'my side' of the argument, feel they're both wrong; and if they're both in the wrong, then both should be comparably punished, period.
Thanks Tommy. I have never said DJ was in the right. I have said, from what I saw on the video, that she struck him as well and should be charged equally.

Reactions: tommynole3476
One thing is for certain: DJ is full of bad decisions.

No way a guy like that takes a snap for a top tier football team.

DJ is full of bad decisions
Ugh... explain?

Cam Newton made a bunch of bad decisions in college, and he's the face of the Panthers' franchise. So did Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Brett Favre, should I go on? Jameis is well on his way to doing the same... God only knows how many CEOs of how many fortune 500 companies did as dumb, if not dumber chit in college, and are doing just fine.

I would like to point out, in defense of my legal brethren, that, even on a FSU website, there are numerous different views, opinions and perspectives about the same video. Therefore, the next time you blame a lawyer for trying a case that you believe is frivolous because the evidence is "so clear cut," remember this thread.

Ugh... explain?

Cam Newton made a bunch of bad decisions in college, and he's the face of the Panthers' franchise. So did Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Brett Favre, should I go on? Jameis is well on his way to doing the same... God only knows how many CEOs of how many fortune 500 companies did as dumb, if not dumber chit in college, and are doing just fine.

"You'll never make it to the Bigs with fungus on your shower shoes."

I would like to point out, in defense of my legal brethren, that, even on a FSU website, there are numerous different views, opinions and perspectives about the same video. Therefore, the next time you blame a lawyer for trying a case that you believe is frivolous because the evidence is "so clear cut," remember this thread.
Only one right one.

Ugh... explain?

So many strawmen....can't contain them....

you just can't win. You're never going to please everyone. Check this out....

A local pastor is asking for a boycott of Florida State University’s football program just days after local football star De’Andre Johnson was dismissed from the team for punching a woman in the face.
As soon as a video of the bar fight was released, Florida State University took swift and significant action.
The 19-year-old Johnson’s football career with the Seminoles was over before he even hit the field.
Pastor Kenneth Adkins believes that was a terrible mistake.

"You'll never make it to the Bigs with fungus on your shower shoes."
Don't you dare try and use Bull Durham quotes against me in an argument! There are some things I just WILL not stand for!

So many strawmen....can't contain them....
The assertion was you can't be a QB for a top tier football team (not just college, but team) while having made bad decision(s) in your past, which I think I sufficiently proved false with a plethora of relevant examples.

Maybe the reference to CEOs could be construed as a strawman, but I think CEOs are analogous to QBs.

There are five in the video: Drinking at the bar, Being belly-up to the bar while underage, presumably buying his own drink, hitting a girl, fleeing.
1. You don't know he was drinking and it's not illegal to be in a bar at 19.
2-3. Could've been ordering a Coke.
4. That's one bad decision.
5. How many would've waited for a police officer? Really.

Follow the Eddie Murphy rule about getting into a fight at a nightclub.

"Jo punched, then the Italian dude bunched Bill....and in the end, everyone sued me."

While he's waiting for a spot at the bar and talking to the guy with the glasses a woman steps away. The blonde moves from the right side of the guy with the glasses to the left and wedges her plumpnesss between Mr Glasses and DJ to take the spot vacated at the bar - bitch move. DJ sees what she is doing so he reaches in and grabs the bar. She starts pushing against his arm immediately. While she's doing this, she leans back and says something. She continues to use her substantial girth to block him out with her backside and take up entire open spot, but DJ doesn't release his grip. She turns into him and uses her forearm to shove against his chest. She then proceeds to raise her right hand, balled up in a fist, while shoving him and says something. While it is inaudible, it probably wasn't anything like what are you doing later. He then grabs her hand, which seems prudent given her aggressive manner, and then she kicks him below the waist and takes swing at his head. It appears the latter misses but that's not as clear. He ends it quickly.

You really need to watch it again, and maybe pay attention while doing so. The one indisputable thing you can see in the video is that she's up near the bar first, waiting behind the guy with the glasses. DJ shows up a minute+ later, then tries to cut in front of her & beat her to the bar spot that comes open. She does a pretty good job of boxing him out & getting the spot.

Reactions: BelemNole
"DJ shows up a minute+ later, then tries to cut in front of her & beat her to the bar spot that comes open"

There are two bar spots. She tries to take both of them.

Reactions: noleclone2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT