ADVERTISEMENT

Death Penalty

We’re on our way to John Lennon’s song Imagine. I just don’t see it turning out the way he imagined.

Reactions: BrianNole777
America's downfall will be when the Churches end in a couple decades, IMHO.

I actually think we’ll see a surge in church attendance. The boomer generation is an interesting group to watch and study. A spoiled bunch. They were raised by the greatest generation, who majority believed firmly in service to God and Country, which their parents exhibited in front them.

Boomers inherited a strong country. They eventually went on to gain power, success and wealth. They then sold out to the almighty dollar and selfish ideology that went against everything their parents stood for.

Boomers love money, power and success but the unknown of afterlife is creeping in.

@BrianNole777 drop those mass times.

I actually think we’ll see a surge in church attendance. The boomer generation is an interesting group to watch and study. A spoiled bunch. They were raised by the greatest generation, who majority believed firmly in service to God and Country, which their parents exhibited in front them.

Boomers inherited a strong country. They eventually went on to gain power, success and wealth. They then sold out to the almighty dollar and selfish ideology that went against everything their parents stood for.

Boomers love money, power and success but the unknown of afterlife is creeping in.

I hope you are right, but I don’t see it. Cynicism and general organizational distrust are both on the rise. Society continues to become increasingly “virtual.” I don’t see anything that is likely to return the masses to traditional church participation. If anything, sadly, I think churches become more and more irrelevant in the future. Would love to be wrong.

Boomer here...KMA

America's downfall will be when the Churches end in a couple decades, IMHO.
You’re welcome to come hang out at our synagogue.
But we’ll have to eat the fried shrimp baskets outside.
Wait a second, who am I kidding, you won’t find me there unless it’s a family member or friend’s kid’s/grandkid’s bar or bat mitzvah.
But if you’re bringing shrimp baskets, text me and I’ll head over.
Thx.

You’re welcome to come hang out at our synagogue.
But we’ll have to eat the fried shrimp baskets outside.
Wait a second, who am I kidding, you won’t find me there unless it’s a family member or friend’s kid’s/grandkid’s bar or bat mitzvah.
But if you’re bringing shrimp baskets, text me and I’ll head over.
Thx.

I've been to Orthodox and Conservative synagogues many times around D.C. Always enjoyed it!

What type is yours?

I've been to Orthodox and Conservative synagogues many times around D.C. Always enjoyed it!

What type is yours?
I don’t currently belong to one but it’s always been Reform (Jew Lite), and I’m primarily just a culinary Jew, so pretty much agnostic when it comes to the actual course material.

I don’t currently belong to one but it’s always been Reform (Jew Lite), and I’m primarily just a culinary Jew, so pretty much agnostic when it comes to the actual course material.

I went to a bar mitzvah in 2018 at an Orthodox synagogue and was shocked when they threw candy at the kid.

I tried to hit him but missed. ;)

I went to a bar mitzvah in 2018 at an Orthodox synagogue and was shocked when they threw candy at the kid.

I tried to hit him but missed. ;)
Yeh, I’m not a fan of the throwing hard candy thing… could put an eye out!
Think that’s only become a thing in the past 15 years or so.
Probably cause modern kids don’t get as much kick the can and sling shot/bb gun wars like we did growing up.

Yeh, I’m not a fan of the throwing hard candy thing… could put an eye out!
Think that’s only become a thing in the past 15 years or so.
Probably cause modern kids don’t get as much kick the can and sling shot/bb gun wars like we did growing up.

My good friend growing up could’ve retired after his bar mitzvah. Pretty sure he blew it all in college but we had a great time.

Yep, the avg take when I was 13 was around $2k (mostly in Savings Bonds), which was eternal riches in ancient times in Tally.
Plus about 12 to 15 gold-plated Cross pens, for whatever reason.
Our North Dallas neighborhood schools were probably 25% Jewish. My daughter made a scrapbook of the 50 plus bar/bat mitzvah invitations she received because they were so elaborate and beautiful.
Fabulous events and still lots of pics of friends at the events all dressed up.

Our North Dallas neighborhood schools were probably 25% Jewish. My daughter made a scrapbook of the 50 plus bar/bat mitzvah invitations she received because they were so elaborate and beautiful.
Fabulous events and still lots of pics of friends at the events all dressed up.
They were definitely a lot of fun growing up. Many have gotten totally out of hand in the 1990s and 2000s, like planning a wedding.
Going to some biz school friends’ kids bar and bat mitzvahs up around NYC has been a real eye opener, in an SNL skit kinda way. Just so far beyond what Moses intended when he was planning his kids’ parties (did he have kids? were they Jewish?)

They were definitely a lot of fun growing up. Many have gotten totally out of hand in the 1990s and 2000s, like planning a wedding.
Going to some biz school friends’ kids bar and bat mitzvahs up around NYC has been a real eye opener, in an SNL skit kinda way. Just so far beyond what Moses intended when he was planning his kids’ parties (did he have kids? were they Jewish?)
And did he have Grandparents who helped to fund these extravagant parties?
In the early 90’s it was not unheard of to hear that so and so’s Bar/Bat Mitzvah cost north of $50K.
And the cash gifts that were received covered that and more.

“We really need a Church to be saved, IMO. It's only 1 hour a week. Most of us are on our phones 6 hours a day.

obama-mic-drop.gif
Sadly, the world is getting to the point where society has more influence on the church rather than the church having more influence on society.

Sadly, the world is getting to the point where society has more influence on the church rather than the church having more influence on society.
The church has done a lot of damage to itself as well. Especially in the US with all the money grubbing TV evangelists like Joel Osteen. Not to mention the issues with the catholic church. Not a good look for bringing in new people.

That's the issue. Nothing is a deterrent because justice is not swift, not that it ever was.
Well it was swifter 50 years ago.

opponents of the death penalty have effectively created a Byzantine process to cause delays that ultimately eliminates the punishment as a deterrent. It is a combination of legal court decisions and legislative lobbying that achieved the goal of making the prime reason for applying the death penalty as a deterrent moot. But there remains a vestige of thinking that the concept of a just system requires application of a death penalty in certain instances where the crime is so heinous, society requires the action.

Last edited:
My mother made us go to church as kids, Sunday school, Sunday service, Sunday night, Wednesday ect… I would always get in trouble for asking why, how and where’s the proof? One day my Dad stepped in and told me “if there be a devil you’ll find him at church”. I didn’t go back.

Someone is right on the whole religion thing but we’re not smart enough to know who it is.
How I feel. Humans think they can explain everything and they can’t, not even close. I don’t reject the idea of there possibly being a higher power who has created the universe but my minuscule brain can’t comprehend it and I sure as hell don’t think any religion is explaining it. A question I could ask almost any religious person is, why are you so sure the religion that you were most certainly born into is the ‘right’ one. People in Al Qaeda were so sure of their god they were willing to fly planes into buildings and die. So they were pretty convinced too. I think it’s all complete BS and was created to try and explain the world and ‘eternity’ while also keeping law and order at a time when law enforcement hardly existed.

How I feel. Humans think they can explain everything and they can’t, not even close. I don’t reject the idea of there possibly being a higher power who has created the universe but my minuscule brain can’t comprehend it and I sure as hell don’t think any religion is explaining it. A question I could ask almost any religious person is, why are you so sure the religion that you were most certainly born into is the ‘right’ one. People in Al Qaeda were so sure of their god they were willing to fly planes into buildings and die. So they were pretty convinced too. I think it’s all complete BS and was created to try and explain the world and ‘eternity’ while also keeping law and order at a time when law enforcement hardly existed.

Good questions!

Two thoughts:

1.) All religions (at least the "main ones") can have aspects of truth in them. Notice that all the main religions teach some form of the Golden Rule. It's not like religions are polar opposites of each other in every way.

2.) How do we know which is the true religion? I'm going with the one founded by the guy who resurrected from the dead. :)

Reactions: seminole72
Good questions!

Two thoughts:

1.) All religions (at least the "main ones") can have aspects of truth in them. Notice that all the main religions teach some form of the Golden Rule. It's not like religions are polar opposites of each other in every way.

2.) How do we know which is the true religion? I'm going with the one founded by the guy who resurrected from the dead. :)
Most have one thing in common... a flood.

Good questions!

Two thoughts:

Most of the world doesn’t believe what you believe. Sounds like they’re SOL.

That's for sure. A friend of mine became a realtor in Greenwich, CT, because she needed to make a lot of money. She spent 15k on the invitations alone.

I went to a few bar/bat mitzvahs and they were quite interesting, especially the food, and the food line.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT