ADVERTISEMENT

Dog Adoption

We tried but the shelter turned us down because I wouldn't let the dog stay in my house - wasted half a saturday and got my kid's hopes up for nothing.

They're prolific cocksmen who are overbred by irresponsible humans and subsequently abandoned.
Well American Staffordshire Terrier is a legit breed with distinct characteristics. AmStaff is one of the multiple breeds lumped into "pitbull" generic label of stocky, short coated, block headed dogs that have been identified as vicious baby-killers.

Doesn't change the head scratcher of "only bit 2 people so its no big deal". No, thats a HUGE deal!
Yah, I looked it up before I posted. All AmStaffs are pit bulls, not all pit bulls are AmStaff.

That's not the point - and I have no proof that the dog is actually an AmStaff...it was just marketed that way.

I've never adopted and I wouldn't be opposed to it but as mentioned most of the city centers have pits and that wouldn't go over well at the dinner/cocktail parties. If there is a certain breed you are interested in you should see if they have a nationwide rescue organization. Sometimes owners who can't provide for the dog will reach out to the specific breed organization to help find a new home.

We said good-bye to our family lab last year. I really want to get a chocolate or black lab next but dogs are a lot of work and our Springer needs all the attention it can get.
Labrador-Retriever-On-White-07.jpg

ess_body_image_3.jpg

I've never adopted and I wouldn't be opposed to it but as mentioned most of the city centers have pits and that wouldn't go over well at the dinner/cocktail parties. If there is a certain breed you are interested in you should see if they have a nationwide rescue organization. Sometimes owners who can't provide for the dog will reach out to the specific breed organization to help find a new home.

We said good-bye to our family lab last year. I really want to get a chocolate or black lab next but dogs are a lot of work and our Springer needs all the attention it can get.
Labrador-Retriever-On-White-07.jpg

ess_body_image_3.jpg
Yep. We adopted both of ours through a schnauzer rescue, which is who we also foster for > Sissy.

Yah, I looked it up before I posted. All AmStaffs are pit bulls, not all pit bulls are AmStaff.

That's not the point - and I have no proof that the dog is actually an AmStaff...it was just marketed that way.

So it was marketed as a type of dog that is considered a pitbull. How is that "duping" someone? Vast majority of the adoption agencies take a guess. You think they soft-pedaled it as AmStaff? Buyer beware no? If I didn't know a breed and was interested, I would look it up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lurker1999
I found my dog (in my avatar) one morning while walking the golf course. I thought at the time he was a neutered male but he was just too young to have dropped yet. I petted him and he followed me home. I figured he would just wander his way back home but he stayed. We put up flyers looking for the owners but got no response. The vet guesses he's a lab/great dane mix. About 105#'s of goofy.

faYrhtmTgN0AESPxRATlp3RIKzXUfKnf5A-YRLpdPOAgzSGRxH6kXUca3VVtQKyBzlAL2dHe7ErAVCe6aQ2T2QyK0InO4KrkqftK4EGBKk208wa7BqYrF6es5ggSEZzJFfyXWTrcN-4Tzw-i12yg5fjAy9RKSPxpnP8DB4leQ9NUBnP-wazQCvQS2yM5dMplJOv1uqV5MDVqDrLFx-rL9KGFmkSfP9mu-sCEZCTOBvKz1XqicTvRaEZiTmey3le8olcv9usP0mOb8SXg_FzEKhznMM7_jENcH08pCk_i1lNZrNypEd-aM-OazuGzI_MXkOeO5sA6a9_QKOxoiCN3RGYToFOXe9K9MtZFyy_DFaYh6Cd8R79ecEkglbKoxOUmxQga58pvBxIBk1z0ZWFsS2956-HqzVSWgdduyhCibnGiIwB8sTMLZSdukSB6S25KnyxWl9h7ObjsCiE-6eAKryPhbKYyv2TIkxvXj5dq4EFx3IYYc-LkgduQiIGCXZqq9AJEw2DEeEbYQ_UgSGKckh3LdK2ddQqCJBQDSNPeKptJwIALC5puRlXGtuowPGV8_BumLv-IgQfOPPPt154Dxgi3HsDZxFAtLvgU7nQ_pzMJqt2_uWyhCialTPtx1m8=w491-h654-no

My designated driver
dFRfpNGQmd6MAtvvGrncFh_GwDsBSBk7ESuKg3LCW3Gzppx_JKBh1oQ2sFaTABbVNgXnBE7lBexE9_KhwiSwo4AEPg1sFVSqVZ6rY6yVpRUrG5Yn4Xobb55AQ4qm3RcXQyL1BVoXqhtUMh-tBo8dIF-3JAGcX6NINgQvlYuczA9_oLCG_a8x5DyZ9XT3tgWw_10GLIounCKqPsajDhXMha5dd3qK7VhGz1JYrG-U2uai3vDghD-wt0Krsu6_LOTOOg-M_eeaEfvwZXrIpzjvKEspu36-QhdjyxYgsyCvOBYZucWCgVMnJbvDeAYN4c5hf4rbdm030OlQGNzEBm-ACPwGSemrAQd_eb6sd7WtPWynv9o73afyGEG-jye1J8G-beI0KBdM7NiK6RdFROoisi9NLg-lz11JSgbsYHCC0AAUiIOgS9QEv8prtuh_W2KmC00KDHJmYBTdGpIXrpF9YhPUCwxZVCg_skOul3-nVUR4ws3V2cKDRfhSBYeMPVYIjYZ3hPLrIvlY-h5WvsPM4B8dSbV5UGXmU1cLnveT0m8Ai0uFu74DLzuo-wvIdTgDno5IR9_rABVP_dTMRtOKMrTIa2-OfbSdnrAzkARdcvMyorUS8Z7VTH6j5eU-OEI=w491-h654-no
That's a good looking dog. He looks like he'd be a good golf buddy.

So it was marketed as a type of dog that is considered a pitbull. How is that "duping" someone? Vast majority of the adoption agencies take a guess. You think they soft-pedaled it as AmStaff? Buyer beware no? If I didn't know a breed and was interested, I would look it up.
That is you. Not everyone will be willing to do the 5 minutes of research. These people walked into the pound (after driving past it on their commute for months) to get a dog - and they chose one marked "terrier". They were expecting it to grow up to be Benji, not a psycho from the Ron Mexico Kennel Club.

Yes, if they were as wise and as diligent as the average Locker Roomer they never would have fallen into this trap - since everyone here knows everything about everything.

That is you. Not everyone will be willing to do the 5 minutes of research. These people walked into the pound (after driving past it on their commute for months) to get a dog - and they chose one marked "terrier". They were expecting it to grow up to be Benji, not a psycho from the Ron Mexico Kennel Club.

Yes, if they were as wise and as diligent as the average Locker Roomer they never would have fallen into this trap - since everyone here knows everything about everything.

The computer that almost everyone possess in their pocket which provides access to pretty much all information really removes the "I didn't know" excuse for most basic information. This is the first response when googling "what is an American Staffordshire terrier".
https://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/american-staffordshire-terrier#/slide/1

14 references to "pit bull" in said article.

Not sure why you are getting so worked up. I get it, you don't like pit bulls of any breed. Sounds like the people you are talking about are just stupid, not the adoption agencies fault; they labeled the dog to a specific breed. Not the adoption agencies fault for duping people, it was the buyer's fault for being uninformed. Maybe they should screen the owners better.

Reactions: Lurker1999
Not the adoption agencies fault for duping people

I see - the adoption agency is charged with testing people - fail the duplicity test, you win a bitey pit bull. Congratulations!

We have adopted most of our animals and bought a few pure breads. We have never had less than 4 animals in the house in the 22 years we have been married. The key to success is training your animals and spending time with them. You can spend 1 million dollars on a cat or dog if you just think it will be an awesome pet just because you spent money you will be very disappointed.

I found my dog (in my avatar) one morning while walking the golf course. I thought at the time he was a neutered male but he was just too young to have dropped yet. I petted him and he followed me home. I figured he would just wander his way back home but he stayed. We put up flyers looking for the owners but got no response. The vet guesses he's a lab/great dane mix. About 105#'s of goofy.

faYrhtmTgN0AESPxRATlp3RIKzXUfKnf5A-YRLpdPOAgzSGRxH6kXUca3VVtQKyBzlAL2dHe7ErAVCe6aQ2T2QyK0InO4KrkqftK4EGBKk208wa7BqYrF6es5ggSEZzJFfyXWTrcN-4Tzw-i12yg5fjAy9RKSPxpnP8DB4leQ9NUBnP-wazQCvQS2yM5dMplJOv1uqV5MDVqDrLFx-rL9KGFmkSfP9mu-sCEZCTOBvKz1XqicTvRaEZiTmey3le8olcv9usP0mOb8SXg_FzEKhznMM7_jENcH08pCk_i1lNZrNypEd-aM-OazuGzI_MXkOeO5sA6a9_QKOxoiCN3RGYToFOXe9K9MtZFyy_DFaYh6Cd8R79ecEkglbKoxOUmxQga58pvBxIBk1z0ZWFsS2956-HqzVSWgdduyhCibnGiIwB8sTMLZSdukSB6S25KnyxWl9h7ObjsCiE-6eAKryPhbKYyv2TIkxvXj5dq4EFx3IYYc-LkgduQiIGCXZqq9AJEw2DEeEbYQ_UgSGKckh3LdK2ddQqCJBQDSNPeKptJwIALC5puRlXGtuowPGV8_BumLv-IgQfOPPPt154Dxgi3HsDZxFAtLvgU7nQ_pzMJqt2_uWyhCialTPtx1m8=w491-h654-no

My designated driver
dFRfpNGQmd6MAtvvGrncFh_GwDsBSBk7ESuKg3LCW3Gzppx_JKBh1oQ2sFaTABbVNgXnBE7lBexE9_KhwiSwo4AEPg1sFVSqVZ6rY6yVpRUrG5Yn4Xobb55AQ4qm3RcXQyL1BVoXqhtUMh-tBo8dIF-3JAGcX6NINgQvlYuczA9_oLCG_a8x5DyZ9XT3tgWw_10GLIounCKqPsajDhXMha5dd3qK7VhGz1JYrG-U2uai3vDghD-wt0Krsu6_LOTOOg-M_eeaEfvwZXrIpzjvKEspu36-QhdjyxYgsyCvOBYZucWCgVMnJbvDeAYN4c5hf4rbdm030OlQGNzEBm-ACPwGSemrAQd_eb6sd7WtPWynv9o73afyGEG-jye1J8G-beI0KBdM7NiK6RdFROoisi9NLg-lz11JSgbsYHCC0AAUiIOgS9QEv8prtuh_W2KmC00KDHJmYBTdGpIXrpF9YhPUCwxZVCg_skOul3-nVUR4ws3V2cKDRfhSBYeMPVYIjYZ3hPLrIvlY-h5WvsPM4B8dSbV5UGXmU1cLnveT0m8Ai0uFu74DLzuo-wvIdTgDno5IR9_rABVP_dTMRtOKMrTIa2-OfbSdnrAzkARdcvMyorUS8Z7VTH6j5eU-OEI=w491-h654-no

Great dog!

Don't forget to trim his toenails...

Where did you want the dog to stay?

Well we ended up getting an Australian Shepherd from a guy who was changing jobs and moving - we call him Bingo and he has an e-collar that lets him roam freely over 2.5 acres, chasing squirrels and bumblebees at his leisure. I mean I'm sure he'd rather be in a cage inside the house holding his bladder all day while we're at work but what do I know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT