ADVERTISEMENT

GWPs

cornnoleio11

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Feb 28, 2007
St. John's, FL
Anyone on the board ever own a German Wirehaired Pointer? In the market for a pup and have some interest in the breed.

Will it be a hunting dog? What is your current lifestyle (very active, active, not active, time for training, etc)?

GWPs (and all working/sporting dogs) have tons of energy. The two I've known from the dog park spent 1-2 hours there most days until they were a bit older. A couple of walks or even an hour run (though puppies shouldn't run hard until they're a bit older) every day won't be enough.

My general suggestion is...focus less on actual breed and more on personality/lifestyle, especially if it's not going to be a true working dog. Talk to local rescue groups about what dogs they have.

Reactions: DFSNOLE and goldmom
It’s funny. Every time you see an owner of a GSP or GWP, the immediate response is sympathy. “Oh, how are you holding up? Are you okay?”

I have a 3-year old GSP, and I love that dog more than any of the many Labrador retrievers that I have had. HOWEVER, she is a tough dog to care for. I knew going in (and you know also) that they are the highest energy breed and the must have a “job.” At least I thought I knew. It is way more than you can plan.

The dog must be professionally trained and you must commit an hour per day of intense exercise. After about 9 months we sent our dog to Dog Pond Kennels in Thomasville for a month (not cheap) and she still wears her e-collar during daylight hours because she will go after any bird, squirrel, rabbit, deer, etc. It may be this particular dog, but her prey-drive is unbreakable, we just need her to come back after the hunt is over.

Our yard is 3/4 acre, which would be minimum size; 20 acres would be perfect.... And she is on schedule to make annual visits to the emergency vet in January: fractured skull + gaping wound in leg from a car, chased a deer through barbed wire and sliced open chest. She will be inside this January.

My dog is so pretty and her temperament is much kinder and more gentle than any breed I know, but her energy level and curiosity can be very intimidating to people.

I say an emphatic “yes” but prepare yourself as best you can.

Might want to consider a Vizsla. They are still considered a working dog and have high energy but IMO much more manageable. Mine is 6 years old, and will run for days, but is also content hanging out in the house. Very loyal and I can let him out in the morning and he will run around in the yard but never leave. Yard is about an acre. I have woods across the road so he has plenty of temptations with squirrels and other animals but he won't leave unless I am with him.

If you are in Florida the Tampa Bay Vizsla Club is a great resource for Breeders and just overall a good club.

Is that a philosophical question ? Or are you pushing for a cat for the OP?

No. Does OP want a running partner, a hang on the couch canine friend, working dog (mostly hunting, for example, since I'm sure OP doesn't have a ranch), a dog that requires hours of training every day, stuff like that. A working dog that doesn't get the exercise and training it needs will turn neurotic and destructive.

I follow a some rescue organizations, and the number of dogs that get returned because the dog "takes too much time/work" or "has too much energy" or whatever is high. People often get too attached to a breed because "it's so cute!" and ignore what it takes/will take to have a happy, healthy dog. See: husky, GSD, corgi and other currently "fashionable" breeds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT