ADVERTISEMENT

"Hundreds ticketed under new Slow Poke law" Take that left lane cruisers!!!!

I love the rant about big government in this, when it is actually colorado who thinks it is ok for himself to enforce the traffic laws. It is cool if he enforces the law, but not the actual people with delegated authority to enforce the law.
Oh this is rich... you really need to quit drinking during the day.

We had/have a law the people were abiding... that got in the way and inconvenienced people who wanted to break said law... we pass another law saying that if you inconvenience law breakers you will be fined... all the while IGNORING the orginal law, because.... wait for it...

We can't do anything about it.

Hahahahaha.... again you get what you deserve.

What Jeep...I mean colorado appears to be ignoring, is that cruising in the left lane prevents passing. Say you're going 55 and I'm going 55 according to our speedometers. Odds are we aren't moving at the same speed. Even if it's just 1 mph different it's enough to cause a big traffic jam behind you if you're parking in the left lane. If you are in the correct (right) lane I move to the left lane, pass you and move back to the right. While I'm only going 1 mph faster than you I move on and so does the next guy and traffic continues unimpeded and no one is forced to drive like an ahole because you feel it's your right to park your minivan in the fast land and do 55.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
Why you shouldn't drive slowly in the left lane

It impedes traffic and probably makes everyone less safe

There's a certain rationale for these laws and enforcement campaigns. When drivers travel in the left lane, it makes the road more congested and probably more dangerous for all parties involved.

Research shows that many traffic jams result from a surprisingly small number of slow cars obstructing traffic, with their effects rippling outward. A small buildup of cars that can't pass because someone is driving slowly in the left — right next to another car traveling slowly in the right — is the exact type of scenario that can start this cascade of traffic.

Now, some people counter that as long as they're going the speed limit, they don't have to move over — and by slowing down would-be speeders, they're making the roads safer.

Apart from the fact that in 44 states, simply going the speed limit doesn't permit drivers to travel in the left lane, this argument doesn't make a lot of sense based on research into how accidents occur.

Unfortunately, there isn't much research on the effect of impeding people from passing in the left lane specifically. But there is evidence that slowing down and changing lanes is more dangerous than speeding.

Lanes changes account for about four percent of all car accidents in the US, and perhaps as much as ten percent of accidents on highways. Meanwhile, research has generally shown that the strongest predictor of an accident isn't speeding, but variance from the average speed of traffic — and a car going five miles per hour slower than the surrounding traffic has a greater chance of causing an accident than one going five miles per hour faster than it.

So what do I do now when I'm going 70 in a 60 to pass the slow cars on the right and one of you aholes pulls up at a 100 miles an hour and sits three inches from my bumper flashing your hi beams? Pull over and inconvenience my driving so you can kill someone else up the road rather than me?

Please name the times in your life that you've been on interstate and no one was speeding, and everyone going the speed limit or under.

The powers that be seem to be taking a common sense approach. People speed. Could they ticket all of the them, or at least try? Sure. Would voters let their voices be heard about this approach? Of course. It's not a feasible answer to the issue at hand.

They are recognizing that the safest thing to do is, force people who can't acknowledge the "Slower traffic keep right" suggestion, to move over.

Why is it so hard to yield to faster traffic? I've never once thought about making people slow down so that I can stay in the left lane. Never. Not even once. It's not my lane. Everyone owns it. Why would I make it personal?

I am highly skeptical about that statement.

Jeep had nothing on this guy. He's more like BayouGeorge in a drug war thread.
Aren't you a lawyer?

Take the lane, speed and whatever else out of the equation for a minute.

Where else in society do we punish law abiding citizens for impeding law breaker in their criminal mischief all in the name of "safety"??

When if people would simply follow the known laws the safety issue would take care of itself.

Again, I speed and I get frustrated with left lane drivers. I pass on the right but try very hard not to tailgate... however, my habits are not gemane to the discussion.

You keep saying they are "law abiding" - but they are only abiding to the speed limit law and are ignoring the other law that states that slower traffic should move right. What about that is so hard to understand? Both motorists are breaking one of two laws, you appear to favor one over the other yourself while accusing us of the same. At least we can show you that our preference is the safer one.

Reactions: Flie and TexSkills
There's a difference in these scenarios:

1. Camping in the left lane when nobody's in front of you and nobody in the right lane and car comes up behind you. Shouldn't do this, move the hell over. You are the ahole the law is aimed at.
2. Driving in the left lane and slowly passing cars in the right lane and car comes up behind you. Move over as soon as you can (sooner than later though), or you risk becoming Guy #1.
3. Driving in the left lane and passing cars in the right lane but there are cars in front of you doing the same thing. Tailgaters need to back the hell off and realize there's no place to go as the left lane is backed up too. But again, watch out that you don't become Guy #1.

Reactions: Flie
You keep saying they are "law abiding" - but they are only abiding to the speed limit law and are ignoring the other law that states that slower traffic should move right. What about that is so hard to understand? Both motorists are breaking one of two laws, you appear to favor one over the other yourself while accusing us of the same. At least we can show you that our preference is the safer one.
Has "Slower traffic keep right" been a law? Or a strong suggestion?? I really don't know... I fear that it was never a fineable offense hence there would be no reason for the new law...

If there isn't / wasn't, yes they were law abiding citizens and were breaking no "laws" driving in the left lane. So there was/is only one motorist that is breaking a law...

Has "Slower traffic keep right" been a law? Or a strong suggestion?? I really don't know... I fear that it was never a fineable offense hence there would be no reason for the new law...

If there isn't / wasn't, yes they were law abiding citizens and were breaking no "laws" driving in the left lane. So there was/is only one motorist that is breaking a law...
It is a law. Black and white signs on the road ways are regulatory signs and indicate a law or an instruction on something to do while driving. Yellow signs are more of a suggestion.

http://www.usdrivertraining.com/drivereducation_signs.php

a) regular citizens are not in charge of enforcing the law. Sitting in the right lane so a speeder can't get by is actively engaging in what one would consider law enforcement.
b) it has always been illegal to sit in the right lane. Move the heck over regardless of your speed. After you pass people you get over and out of the left lane regardless if you are going 55 or 75. The same goes for in town by the way... Going 45 down mahan dr or capital circle in tallahassee? move over after you pass someone unless you are making a left turn

What some see is that the speed limit is black and white law breaking. The problem is law enforcement has taught almost all of us that speeding is doing something excessive and that going with the flow of traffic at a reasonable speed above the limit is expected. When you get the law is black and white 'speeding by 1mph is speeding' person blocking traffic in the left hand lane playing vigilante things will NOT go well. Road rage is real. The wrong set of events and intentional retardation of some moron sitting int he left lane can set off a normally very level headed person and that person will do things they normally would never do and could cause an accident of epic proportion.

Our laws follow a reasonable standard and at this time it is more reasonable to expect someone to be going 75 in a 70 than having someone block traffic in the left lane while keeping pace with the other cars next to them effectively blocking traffic for miles behind them.

So what do I do now when I'm going 70 in a 60 to pass the slow cars on the right and one of you aholes pulls up at a 100 miles an hour and sits three inches from my bumper flashing your hi beams? Pull over and inconvenience my driving so you can kill someone else up the road rather than me?

Funny thing is in Germany everyone realize the ahole is the guy who is in front of the person flashing their lights.
Flashing your lights at a driver in Germany is a courteous way to let someone who isn't paying attention know that they're blocking the flow of traffic.
I never saw anyone in Germany take offense when a Porsche or some other car came up behind them and flashed their lights on the Autobahn, and I had a pretty good view of things most days from a school bus.
In fact, most commonly you'd see a sheepish wave from the driver after they moved over.

On I-10 in the panhandle I tend to drive in the left lane because the wide tires on my car get pulled around by the ruts that the semis make in the right lanes. But if I see a car coming up behind me I change lanes.
It doesn't cost me anything - even ego. I wish other people could figure out this one, simple trick...

Great... it appears we already had a law against this that we didn't enforce... so let's pass another law to further clarify the 2 we choose to ignore.

However reading it, I believe you would have a damn hard time convicting someone driving the speed limit in the left lane...

Ignore the speed demon flashing his lights at you since you are going 10 mph faster than the cars in the right lane and move over when you are done passing.

Most of the people who get irritated at left lane drivers aren't trying to do 100 mph. The last speeding ticket I got was when I was 16.

So you are obstructing people who want to break the law? you are appeasing a criminal in the midst of committing a crime at the expense of a law abiding citizen? You clearly have a future in politics.

Let's take it way too far... let's make a law banning writing a check at the grocery store because it prevents an armed robber from actually getting any money...

A slippery slope, indeed.

Clearly the speed limit on 285 is artificially kept low in a revenue generating exercise, but instead of raising the speed limit lets just ticket people for not letting others speed around them because if they don't the law breaker (speeder) will commit another traffic offense and follow too closely...

Again, most of the time I'm blocked by a left lane driver they are going slower than the speed limit. I'm not speeding yet consistently get stuck behind them somehow. Hmmm.... how could that be?

Let's just let them keep doing it though even though they are breaking the law and creating a hazardous situation for everybody else. Pure genius.

These tickets are hard to enforce and never hold up in court.

However those reckless drivers riding someone's ass and flashing their lights need to be arrested. Only those that are truely breaking the law like this new fake law that will be over turned and never truely enforced.

We've been anxiously awaiting your arrival Jeep. Let me guess, you were stuck in traffic. I mean stuck, holding up traffic.

We've been anxiously awaiting your arrival Jeep. Let me guess, you were stuck in traffic. I mean stuck, holding up traffic.

I have spent the last couple of months rebuilding my new left lane cruiser that has the power and weight to smash anything in front or behind it at a moments notice and so beautiful even the cops will not stop it and uses enough fuel to give the environmental asshats on this forum nightmares for years to come.

It is simple most people in the left lane are driving the speed limit, idiots like some on this forum believe they have a right to speed. Those idiots can use their own advice and get out of the left lane.

Because the State of Georgia (and I believe Florida) actually passed a law making what people were doing legally into a ticketable offense to protect/appease people WHO WERE BREAKING THE LAW!!!!

I don't want to hear one more word from the lot of you about government over-stepping it's bounds. Absolutely asinine.
Here have a Snickers.
snickers.jpg

Reactions: TexSkills
Actually, yes. It's the smart thing to do.

Actually, yes. It's the smart thing to do.

Since said ahole likely is pretending he's a street racer drafting on me, isn't it the conscientious thing to brake check him and make sure he's got the reaction speed to live up to his fantasies?

Or is that bad.

LOL

Since said ahole likely is pretending he's a street racer drafting on me, isn't it the conscientious thing to brake check him and make sure he's got the reaction speed to live up to his fantasies?

Or is that bad.

LOL
You forgot to use some parenthesis...

You forgot to use some parenthesis...

On here I just write stream of conscious and so I need parentheses as my brain is always multitasking. But my rage at aholes who want to "draft" two inches from my bumper and then zig and zag in and out of traffic is a blinding straightforward rage that encompasses my entire focus.

Any time you are neck and neck w the car on the right (and there is room for you to pass them) for more than a few seconds someone is doing some thing wrong. Now it could be that the schmo on the right decided to wake up as he was being passed and speed up. In that scenario the left lane driver either needs to slow down and get behind the guy on the right or speed up and pass them. Usually when I encounter said variable rate driver, I speed way up to put some distance between myself and said moron. It is always the wrong answer to hang out in the left lane neck and neck with the guy in the right lane. I would say this behavior and not speeding in amongst the most dangerous things you can do to yor fellow man on the road. It is the source of most traffic bunch ups on the highway.

99% of the time the above is because there's a LEO at the top of the line in one lane or the other.

Saw a thing on the news this morning about how Florida is noted for a high traffic accident occurrence resulting in death or some such statistic. If the law would just enforce the speed limits already in place the accident rates and the left hand lane slow poke thing would be a non issue...

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Saw a thing on the news this morning about how Florida is noted for a high traffic accident occurrence resulting in death or some such statistic. If the law would just enforce the speed limits already in place the accident rates and the left hand lane slow poke thing would be a non issue...
Yeah, b/c on my travels throughout Florida, I never see FHP with somebody pulled over. Never.

Yeah, b/c on my travels throughout Florida, I never see FHP with somebody pulled over. Never.

Are you stalking me now runk? It's spotty at best. You have to be doing something really wrong to get pulled over by the FHP...

You must not drive I-10 very often.

Nah, CMAN is right. Compared to other civilized countries, Mericuh is the least attentive to speeding and dangerous driving and the resulting deaths. Mericuh is perfectly ok with you killing other people as long as it's with a car or a gun.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT