ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane Irma

I would guess they survey their outages and if they can knock out some quickly they do so then kind of reassess after that and then devote resources to where they get the most impact for the least amount of time. The very worst of them or those at the end of the line (out in the boonies), so to speak, probably get fixed last...

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Our massive 60ft ficus tree bit the dust. Luckily it fell on the street and not the house. Plantation FD and Plantation Services helped clear the street but the rest is going to be on us. It's going to be a lot of money to get this thing cut and hauled away. Oh and we have water damage in two guest bedrooms. Screw you, Irma.

Our massive 60ft ficus tree bit the dust. Luckily it fell on the street and not the house. Plantation FD and Plantation Services helped clear the street but the rest is going to be on us. It's going to be a lot of money to get this thing cut and hauled away. Oh and we have water damage in two guest bedrooms. Screw you, Irma.

Typically a FD will clear the road enough for an ambulance or fire truck to get through. Their only goal is to be able to have access to provide emergency services. A lot of folks get irritated (not saying you) when they see a FD only clear the road so far; but don't realize it is really not their job. When Matthew hit us last year our FD spent a day cutting a path to each station; then they started damage assessment and clearing roads enough to provide emergency services. All told it took about 4-5 days just to be able provide emergency services to roughly 85% of the Island.

A neighbor called late last night and said power was back on. We are packing up the cats and headed back home.
Where are you driving back from? We just drove back to Tallahassee from Charlotte, NC (where we, as it turns out, unnecessarily evacuated to) yesterday. Avoid, to the best of your ability, all interstates that head South. They are mobbed. While it was a bit adventurous (trees down, etc.) driving through the rural backwoods of Georgia, it was effective.

We got on the road at 5am heading South on I-77. It was amazing how many Florida tags passed us heading South. I thought we'd be in for a brutal day, but most of them headed Southeast when we got to Columbia, SC. We drove from Columbia to Augusta unimpeded, then from Augusta to Tallahassee on backroads. We did have to get on I-75 around Cordele, GA for about 5 miles, and it was packed. Google maps showed most every road heading Southbound looking like a parking lot last night when I went to bed too.

Good luck and safe travels!

still no power at my house, my office got it back yesterday afternoon. I feel like a zombie, hardly slept for a few days. Don't really even know what day it is.

still no power at my house, my office got it back yesterday afternoon. I feel like a zombie, hardly slept for a few days. Don't really even know what day it is.
Obvious dumb question that you've already thought of...can you and your family bring sleeping bags or cots and sleep in your office?

Obvious dumb question that you've already thought of...can you and your family bring sleeping bags or cots and sleep in your office?

The boys have already shipped out to their cousin's house, who got power back yesterday. Wife & I stayed at home last night, only because we had hopes of getting it restored (also out is a red light at a fairly bad intersection, two blocks away, and we knew they were in the area working on things).

If still out this evening, we'll be sleeping down here on air mattresses.

My neighborhood is on the same grid as the Super Sprawl Mart near me in Lutz. The White Trash Mart has power, my neighborhood doesn't. How does Sam's Shrine have power but my neighborhood doesn't?

Lots of flooding here in Jacksonville...downtown got jacked as did all the areas near waterways (I live near Julington Creek and a ton of homes got major flooding). Looks like its down to about 145k without power (was about 1/3 of all customers at one point) but JEA is starting to have major sewage issues.

Surprisingly the beach area probably got the best of it (with the storm being west of us) and that the majority do not have the large oaks and pines like the rest of us).

I was without power for about 2 1/2 days (best item I have ever bought in my life is our generator), lost a section of shingles and a half dozen fence panels. I live off the creek though so got spared from the flooding.

Somewhat funny story...I'm out cruising around in my golf cart Monday morning assessing the damage and Fire and Rescue is standing around on one of the roads leading down to the creek. They can't get through due to downed power lines so I loaded three of them up and cut through the woods next to the road and get them to a guy who had broke his ankle. They splinted him up and put him on the back of the cart and off we go back up to the main road.

Typically a FD will clear the road enough for an ambulance or fire truck to get through. Their only goal is to be able to have access to provide emergency services. A lot of folks get irritated (not saying you) when they see a FD only clear the road so far; but don't realize it is really not their job. When Matthew hit us last year our FD spent a day cutting a path to each station; then they started damage assessment and clearing roads enough to provide emergency services. All told it took about 4-5 days just to be able provide emergency services to roughly 85% of the Island.
Yea we're incredibly grateful that they did what they could. Wife and I will be sure to drop some food/beer off to them one day next week, as a thank you.

Looks like they are going to shut down 75 at some point today because of river flooding. Pretty much from I-10 to just north of Hogtown.

I'm really surprised they are having a football game in Hogtown this weekend and that the state did not step in and make them hold off.

I'm in Jefferson County (Monticello) and haven't had power since 5 am Monday. Duke said it could be Sunday. Other than that, all is well so I don't complain. (Too much, anyway)

Pompano Beach checking in, house just west of the sand, and just east of intracoastal. Shockingly never lost power and DIRECTV only pixilated. A far cry from our weeks without power in FLL in 2005 with Katrina and Wilma. We took a smack, but everything should be back to normal in a few weeks. Looking forward to coming to Tally 9/25...hope everyone gets power back soon.

TD

Reactions: DFSNOLE
Somewhat funny story...I'm out cruising around in my golf cart Monday morning assessing the damage and Fire and Rescue is standing around on one of the roads leading down to the creek. They can't get through due to downed power lines so I loaded three of them up and cut through the woods next to the road and get them to a guy who had broke his ankle. They splinted him up and put him on the back of the cart and off we go back up to the main road.

Nice!! I think I saw that on Facebook.

The generator purchase was definitely huge. Glad I broke down and got one this year. The underpass at 95 and 210 was flooded out and SJCSO had the underpass blocked off completely until yesterday morning.

Can't complain much because all family across the state is good. One coworker lost his house near Black Creek In Clay county due to flooding :(

Still no power for me in SJC near World Golf Village. 63 hours and counting.

Let neighbor borrow axe, so I could not use on the kids.

Can't complain much because all family across the state is good. One coworker lost his house near Black Creek In Clay county due to flooding :(

Still no power for me in SJC near World Golf Village. 63 hours and counting.

Let neighbor borrow axe, so I could not use on the kids.

You're still without power?? I thought all of WGV was back online? A lady at our office lives in Heritage Landing and she said she never lost power.

One of my wife's coworkers lives on Doctor's Inlet and she almost lost her house because of flooding. It pretty much stopped at her back door.

You're still without power?? I thought all of WGV was back online? A lady at our office lives in Heritage Landing and she said she never lost power.

One of my wife's coworkers lives on Doctor's Inlet and she almost lost her house because of flooding. It pretty much stopped at her back door.

I'm in Murabella, whole neighborhood (1000 homes) except about 100 is still out. Also out are all the businessesin the center outfront except for Publix who is running on a generator.

Everything around us has come back up, or never lost it like Heritage. Driving us nuts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT